The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Indianapolis on 12/17

Rocky Enfield

• Total Posts: 69
Indianapolis on 12/17 Mon, 12/5/11 5:59 PM (permalink)
A buddy and myself will be in Indy for the Crossroads Classic.  Expecting a great afternoon of basketball as Butler vs Pursue is the warm up and then will be watching IU beat the snot out of Notre Dame!!  Of course guys and basketball have to accompanied by great food.  I have done my research on RF and I am thinking Plump's Last Shot (to stay with the whole basketball theme), Kings BBQ or Shapiro's Deli.  Will need a place for lunch & dinner.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  We will be coming in from nortern Indiana so convenience of the trip could be a factor.

Suggestions for other places are certainly welcome.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
    Re:Indianapolis on 12/17 Mon, 12/5/11 6:24 PM (permalink)
    Suggest you use the search function. Put in Indianapolis in the phrase section and click on the Where to eat forum and you'll get plenty of places
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/search.aspx?searchid=218068&high=Indianapolis&forumid=20
    <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 12/6/11 3:00 AM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Indianapolis on 12/17 Tue, 12/6/11 11:40 AM (permalink)
      Shapiro's is by no means a Sports Bar, but you can't beat their deli sandwiches anywhere within 500 miles. Just south of Lucas stadium on Meriden

Rocky Enfield

• Total Posts: 69
        Re:Indianapolis on 12/17 Mon, 12/19/11 10:06 AM (permalink)
        After mayor al said that it was the best sandwich within 500 miles it meant that I just had to go to Shapiro's for lunch.  When we got there we knew we were in for a treat because the line was so long.  So many things looked fabulous but I had already decided before I got there that I was in the mood for a Rueben.  I was wishing that I could get a half of a Rueben and a half of a pastrami but I couldn't (they don't sell the Rueben in halves) and it wasn't until after I had my food that I found out I could have solved my quandery by ordering a pastrami Rueben.  Nevertheless, when I got my Rueben I recevied an immense sandwich that was satisying in every way except one (the corned beef was a bit dry for my taste),  otherwise it was near perfection.  Thick and delicious with the right amount of kraut and dressing where everything worked together in perfect harmony to make a great Rueben.

I had a side of marinated mushrooms that were just OK (could have gotten the same in any supermarket) and an incredible slice of butterscotch praline pie.  I was going to forgo the dessert but I just couldn't resist trying a slice of a pie that I had never heard of before.  My curiosity was rewarded.  This pie was spectacular!  The sweetness of the filling was perfectly balanced by the tangy, slightly sour cream topping.  Without the topping the pie would have been overly sweet but together it was great.

Six hours later even after sitting through 2 exciting games of basketball we were still to full to even consider dinner at Plump's Last Shot so that one will have to wait for my next trip to Indy although Shapiro's will definitely be a must visit also.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com