Indoor drive-in movie theater

Author
MBFDFyre
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
2007/07/16 08:11:44 (permalink)

Indoor drive-in movie theater

I did a search and didn't find anything like this. If you go down to Disneyworld, you can sit in vintage cards from the 50's and 60's. They serve you food while you look up at a movie screen. Granted, the same exact movie has been playing there for at least 15 years. Its a bunch of black and white excerpts all rolled into one. For those of you who've been down there, you know exactly what I am talking about. Long story short, is there anywhere else in the country that does this? I can see it being sucessful outside of Disney. I mean, who doesn't like dinner and a movie. Lunch time, show something G rated for the kids and at night get out the R rated movies. Being that its indoors, you can run it year round. I think it would be cool in the wintertime to go see a "drive-in" movie.

Whatcha people think? Am I crazy?

10 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 08:51:33 (permalink)

My first reaction is that, Yes, you are crazy. However after a minute or two I would have to acknowledge that with the use of the DVD Players in so many vehicles today, a lot of the novelty of sitting in a car for a movie and a meal is gone. Swing thru any of a gazillion drive-thrus (as simple or complex as you like) pick up your food and drink. Flip down the screens and park where ever you desire to enjoy dinner and a movie. I think the concept of a walk-in to sit in fake cars to 'pretend' the drive-in scene would be lost to a generation already removed from the drive-in's of the 50's. Besides in today's Germ-frightened generation, One would probably take a Lysol bottle with them to avoid the probability of infection!.
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 08:59:47 (permalink)
    I agree with the fact that most kids these days didn't grow up on drive-in movies so that sense of nostaglia is gone. But as for the lysol, I don't see how its any different than a real restuarant where they have to clean your table up after you use it. I also like the idea of it being indoors. Living in Vermont, theres just about nothing to do in the area this time of year(aside from skiing and stuff, if you are into exercise hahaha). So, that adds to the movie experience since you were probably gonna grab dinner before anyways, right?
    MBFDFyre
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 09:11:59 (permalink)
    So, for those of you unfamilier with what I am talking about, go to this link and wait for it to load and you see some pictures of what I am talking about.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=SciFiDineInTheaterDiningPage

Now, I did happen to find someone on yahoo that does sorta what I am thinking about but he doesn't do first run movies nor does he do full replica cars, just the back end. But you can check him out here. Yes, theres suppose to be the extra www in there. no idea why.

http://www.wwwgarage.com/stl/ronnies.html

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 16:41:07 (permalink)
    Sounds like something they'd do in Japan.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 17:01:13 (permalink)
    I've been to the one at Disneyworld and tho it's ok, once was enough. There's a long wait to get in and the food was mediocre. Here in Texas they have movie grills where they have rows of tables between each row of seats, you can order when you go in or order from your seats and they bring the food to you. They not only serve food but beer and mixed drinks. No smoking tho. Now, of course, the price for the food and drinks isn't cheap. It seems they markup as much as they do for popcorn or sodas. I almost went to one a cpl weeks ago to see Ratoullie but they were soldout for the next four showings. While I was there, I saw that french fries were $3.99.
    www.studiomoviegrill.com/arlington.html
    http://www.studiomoviegrill.com/howitworks.html

I wanted to add there others in the area where they reopened older theaters, tore out alternating rows of seats and added tables where the seats were.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 18:58:33 (permalink)
    My favorite place to go see a movie
    www.midwaydrivein.commidway drive in
    Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/16 19:14:03 (permalink)
    In regards to the Studio Movie Grill at least the popcorn is pretty inexpensive as are the regular soft drinks. Admission is higher than you'd find at the Cinamark tho. We love going on Pizza night, all you can eat Pizza for I think its around 8 or 9 dollars, and the pizza is pretty good. We went there to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean and really enjoyed it and thought it was a good deal to get unlimited refills on drinks for 3 bucks a person and all you can eat pizza. My husband managed to put down 4 pizzas during the length of the movie :)

A few days before we'd gone to Cinamark to see Shrek 3 and I think the popcorn was around 5 bucks and drinks were 4 bucks each. So at least at the Studio Movie grill the mark up wasn't as huge, and there were other options besides just popcorn, candy, hotdogs and nachos!
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/17 18:58:16 (permalink)
    Wow, 4 pizzas. I'm lucky to finish a 2nd slice. To be honest, IMHO, the theaters like that are to intrusive. People walking back and forth, the talking to the waiters. It's bad enuff at regular theaters, people that won't shutup, cellphones, etc.. I've learn to go to the evening's last showing. The customer's tend to be older and more considerate of others.
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/26 16:58:35 (permalink)
    I heard about this small company when I was at school in NH. It's sort of but not exactly what you're trying to do. http://www.chunkys.com

DPuro329
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Indoor drive-in movie theater 2007/07/26 17:41:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ynotryme

My favorite place to go see a movie
    www.midwaydrivein.commidway drive in

Damn, how tall are you ????
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1