The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Indy 500 Pick

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
Indy 500 Pick Mon, 05/21/12 3:19 PM (permalink)
Step right up, pick the winner of the 96th Running of the Indy 500. Must be in before the green flag drops Sunday.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
    Re:Indy 500 Pick Mon, 05/21/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
    Mario Andretti

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Indy 500 Pick Mon, 05/21/12 4:05 PM (permalink)
      Helio

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
        Re:Indy 500 Pick Mon, 05/21/12 4:21 PM (permalink)
        Graham Rahal

badart

• Total Posts: 35
          Re:Indy 500 Pick Mon, 05/21/12 5:46 PM (permalink)
          James Hinchcliffe a/k/a "the guy that drives Danica's car" or his other alias, the Mayor of Hinchtown!

fishtaco, are you attending?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9543
            Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/22/12 4:09 AM (permalink)
            I thought that bunch went belly up?
            They're still running that thing???

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/22/12 6:42 AM (permalink)
              Funny how  In the Derby and the other big horse races the focus is on the Horse, not the jockey, whereas in the Indy 500 it is all on the driver and not the car !!! 
                 Just a Thought from someone who doesn't follow the sport very much.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/22/12 8:48 AM (permalink)
                mayor al

Funny how  In the Derby and the other big horse races the focus is on the Horse, not the jockey, whereas in the Indy 500 it is all on the driver and not the car !!! 
                  Just a Thought from someone who doesn't follow the sport very much.

In fact ... it really is the TEAM.
                I've traveled with IndyCar, NASCAR, NHRA, ALMS over the years and if I've only learned one thing ... it takes a team.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                  Re:Indy 500 Pick Wed, 05/23/12 11:49 AM (permalink)
                  I arrived in Indy last night after a few nights in Kentucky sipping bourbon. I don't have any favorites other than some loyalty to my former employer, Target. I've known too many drivers, some personally, spanning over 60 years. To me it is still the greatest spectacle in racing and my hats off to the eventual winner.

This latest RV trip has been our heritage and tenderloin trip. We stopped by my wife's hometown to visit her old homestead, the church we were married in and her old teenage hangout, Bearden's reviewed by BuddyRoadhouse in his thread. Then it was on to Virginia and DC to visit our daughter and then on to West Virginia to reconnect with four cousins whom I hadn't seen in over 50 years as we all scattered out of Indianapolis. After that it was on to Kentucky for part of the Bourbon Trail and then a stop in Elizabethtown's Hardin County Historical Museum. One of the ladies there turned out to be a distant cousin stemming from two of our common ancestors who migrated to Kentucky before 1790. We compared genealogical notes. She knew a lot more than me such as my GGG grandparents graves are located inside Fort Knox. Then it was off to Radcliffe to visit my GG grandfather's original log cabin he built in 1836 and now is moved and restored in the 26 acre Saunders Springs Nature Preserve. Now Indy 500 time. I have not missed watching in person or listening on the radio live (Sid Collins) ever since 1949.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                    Re:Indy 500 Pick Wed, 05/23/12 2:53 PM (permalink)
                    badart

James Hinchcliffe a/k/a "the guy that drives Danica's car" or his other alias, the Mayor of Hinchtown!

fishtaco, are you attending?

ba, I like The Mayor myself would love to see him pull it off. Heilo looks good for #4. I'll go with Hinch. My race buddy just got married and he is still in the "whipped" stage. So I may end up going with my nephew and do like I did in the old days in the infield.

Davydd

I arrived in Indy last night after a few nights in Kentucky sipping bourbon. I don't have any favorites other than some loyalty to my former employer, Target. I've known too many drivers, some personally, spanning over 60 years. To me it is still the greatest spectacle in racing and my hats off to the eventual winner.

This latest RV trip has been our heritage and tenderloin trip. We stopped by my wife's hometown to visit her old homestead, the church we were married in and her old teenage hangout, Bearden's reviewed by BuddyRoadhouse in his thread. Then it was on to Virginia and DC to visit our daughter and then on to West Virginia to reconnect with four cousins whom I hadn't seen in over 50 years as we all scattered out of Indianapolis. After that it was on to Kentucky for part of the Bourbon Trail and then a stop in Elizabethtown's Hardin County Historical Museum. One of the ladies there turned out to be a distant cousin stemming from two of our common ancestors who migrated to Kentucky before 1790. We compared genealogical notes. She knew a lot more than me such as my GGG grandparents graves are located inside Fort Knox. Then it was off to Radcliffe to visit my GG grandfather's original log cabin he built in 1836 and now is moved and restored in the 26 acre Saunders Springs Nature Preserve. Now Indy 500 time. I have not missed watching in person or listening on the radio live (Sid Collins) ever since 1949.

Davydd, '49 that is a string for sure! '61 is the first one I remember. And all my years in the Navy I was lucky enough to be a Radioman so I was always able to pick it up where ever I was. In 87 I was on a cruise and not having any sucess in finding it, I did have some AP sports TTY freqs and followed about the first half of the race on 60 WPM TTY until I finally found AFRTS out of Guam.

badart

• Total Posts: 35
                      Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/29/12 5:39 PM (permalink)
                      Davydd, '49 was my father's first year as well. He was selling tickets then bailed and went in to watch the Race. Went again with my Dad and brother's on Sunday and had another fantastic time with our family and friends. We'll be back next year.

Davydd

Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/29/12 6:08 PM (permalink)
                        It was a great race. I'll have my tickets ordere for next year by the end of the week. I'm working on a scheme to upgrade in NW Vista.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/29/12 6:18 PM (permalink)
                          I pick Dario !!!

Sundancer7

Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/29/12 6:23 PM (permalink)
                            Davydd

It was a great race. I'll have my tickets ordere for next year by the end of the week. I'm working on a scheme to upgrade in NW Vista.

I have always been a NASCAR fan but for the second year in a row, the Indy race was much better than the boring Charlotte 600.  I would have picked Dario but Sato really screwed up.  He was impatient and could have won if he had waited about another 10 second to pass Dario.

I am glad Dario won.

Paul E. Smith
                            Knoxville, TN

Davydd

Re:Indy 500 Pick Tue, 05/29/12 7:36 PM (permalink)
                              If you want boring try the NASCAR Brickyard 400 at the Indy track. I went once and was disappointed. They were incapable of passing on that track.

This was the first oval race with the new Dallara cars and turbine engines. I expect with more experience we are going to see some great Indy car racing. They are much improved over past models. There was a record 35 lead changes and most all were on the track passing. There were several lead changes on a lap that never got officially recorded at the start finish line.

The Indy Lites 100 race Friday was also exciting. They were 4 abreast on the straights and often 2 abreast through the turns all bunched up. It was wild and they drove 5+ mph faster than NASCAR is capable of qualifying on that track. The Indy 500 cars drive almost 50 mph faster.

I was happy Dario won. After all, I'm a retired Target guy.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com