Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU)

Author
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
2008/07/03 08:13:55 (permalink)

Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU)

A week away from a short, compact trip to visit a few colleges, I'm looking for a few Roadfood type recommendations. Due to work, appointments and driving constraints, our group of 4 will be rolling through something like this.

We'll start with a late lunch just over the IL/IN border at Johnson's Blue Top. This is our only confirmed stop as of right now, which is why I'm posting this question.

We'll need an early dinner stop or two in Indy, a late dinner stop and breakfast stop in Oxford and surrounding area as we position ourselves for a visit to Miami of Ohio. Extra dessert stops particulrly featuring ice cream are always welcome.

We're tight out of Oxford for the 1 hour trip to the University of Dayton. We'll either get no lunch - - or quick stop. We will have time for a late lunch/early dinner in Dayton around 4:30pm.

From there, we motor towards Cleveland and would probably stop along the way as the arrival in Cleveland will be late.

Breakfast and lunch the next day in Cleveland as we position for a visit to John Carroll University on the east side.

We'll head back later that afternoon with potentail stops in Toledo or NE Indiana.

Should have a trip report up the following week...thnaks for any and all suggestions!

24 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4211
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 10:11:26 (permalink)
    CTD,

Cleveland has become a favorite stop for me over the years. Great discoveries include Mt. Pleasant BBQ (open until almost 2:00am, so late arrival is a non-issue. However they are in a less than desirable neighborhood and have limited eating space so you make the call. A big guy like you should be able to handle himself around there with out incident, I would think), Sokolowski's University Inn (only serving dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, lunch during the week), Phnom Penh (amazing Vietnamese, Cambodian, and Thai. Two locations; the west side store is very earthy Roadfood-like, the West Side market neighborhood store is much more upscale. Same menu, same prices at both), and of course, the West Side Market (plenty of prepared food options sitting side by side with a wide array of butchers, fish mongers, sausage makers, etc. Only open during the day until 6:00pm).

Detailed descriptions along with addresses and telephone numbers can be found in the various Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Summer Tour threads from the last couple of years.

Have a great trip!

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5030
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 11:51:41 (permalink)
    I checked the map and it looks like Eaton, Ohio is a little out of your way, but if you happen to drive through on US-35 there used to be (as of a couple of years ago) a barbecue joint on the west end of town on the north side of the road. It's pretty small and easy to miss. However...

I've never eaten there as I've never been in the area when it's been open and I haven't driven by in a couple of years, so I can't offer anything more than this. I realize this isn't exactly helpful but on the off chance that you find yourself in the area it's something to possibly look for.

Brad
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 13:59:28 (permalink)
    Oxford, Oh/ Miami U I remember it well and with great fondness. I just took my wife ( who also went there) and kids for a visit about 2 months ago. I'd recommend Mac n Joe's just down the alley off of High St ( the main drag). Good food and excellent roadfood atmosphere. drive around town if you can and take in the names of all the houses (posted near the tops of them.)
    BTW, Miami is a great school and an excellent college town. The cradle of coaches.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:06:05 (permalink)
    Hit Crabills in Urbana on the way to Cleveland.
    You could hit Thai 9 my favorite restaurant in Dayton.

...Russ

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=519

This thread should help you out for the Dayton Ohio area
    Where to eat in Dayton Ohio North of Middletown

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25922
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:10:58 (permalink)
    CTD-Sounds like you have a really nice trip all lined up.

For Indy, you may want to check out my recent trip report.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26100

The two places I really like are King Ribs and Gray Brothers Cafeteria. Gray Brothers, located in nearby Mooresville, is a real Roadfood gem and is easily in my all-time top 10. You would love the place!!!

It sounds like BuddyRoadhouse has Cleveland well covered for you. Let me also throw in a recommendation for the Flat Iron Cafe, for their excellent lake perch sandwiches.

http://www.flatironcafe.com/

If I was driving from Dayton to Cleveland, there is no doubt that the place I would stop to eat would be the G & R Tavern, just north of Waldo. I don't think it would be too much of a detour, either.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4773&RefID=4793

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:22:13 (permalink)
    You don't indicate what day of the week you are starting your trek. Gray Brothers serves continuously, so it may be your best choice in the Indianapolis area. Another option for early dinner is Hollyhock Hill. It is closed on Mondays. Tuesday-Friday it starts serving at 5 p.m.; Saturdays at 4 p.m.; Sunday at (I believe) noon. People used to dress up to dine at Hollyhock Hill, but when I was there for Sunday lunch in May, many people were casually-dressed. As I mentioned on another post, the July issue of Saveur magazine includes a write-up, with photos, of Hollyhock Hill (among other restaurants). (I have no connection with the restaurant, apart from nostalgia, by the way. It was a fixture for my family when I was growing up in Indianapolis. Now that I live in Minneapolis, I only get there once a year or so.)
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:29:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

Oxford, Oh/ Miami U I remember it well and with great fondness. I just took my wife ( who also went there) and kids for a visit about 2 months ago. I'd recommend Mac n Joe's just down the alley off of High St ( the main drag). Good food and excellent roadfood atmosphere. drive around town if you can and take in the names of all the houses (posted near the tops of them.)
    BTW, Miami is a great school and an excellent college town. The cradle of coaches.

I second Mac & Joe's. In fact, I crave it.

We have season tickets for Miami hockey, and we hit that place at least every other weekend during the season.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:58:17 (permalink)
    I concurr with the recommendations for Sokolowski's and the Flat Iron Cafe as well as Gray Bros and Hollyhock Hill in Indy..

Also about 20 minutes outside of Indy, I would also like to throw in the Green Street Pub and Eatery in Brownsville for their excellent rendition of the Breaded Pork Tenderloin ( I think Davydd would agree)
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 14:59:49 (permalink)
    WOW - You guys and gals got me covered! We're a 12:30pm departure on Thursday from Chicago...Indy around early dinner, Thursday night in Oxford, Friday night in Cleveland...sorry I didn't indicate that!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 15:13:41 (permalink)
    CTD-
    Toledo means Tony Packo's, of course. Lots of good things to eat here, but I especially love the German potato salad.

http://www.tonypackos.com/index.php

I also stopped at Schmucker's in Toledo and give their wide variety of pie a thumbs up.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4792
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 15:32:33 (permalink)
    Not sure if I've ever had pie...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 16:03:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Not sure if I've ever had pie...
    Uh huh....and Madonna isn't sure if she is a virgin!
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/03 18:00:15 (permalink)
    In Trenton about half an hour east of Oxford along 73 (which you may be taking if you're heading for Dayton) is a location of Richard's pizza. Their specialty is their steak sandwich, which I love to get with grilled onions, mozzarella/provolone and sauteed mushrooms.

http://www.richardspizza.com/index.shtml

If you're getting onto I-75 to Dayton and want an ice cream break, a few miles off exit 38 is a location of Graeter's, a Cincinnati chain that's well-known for their ice cream. Another four miles up the road along 741 is a location of Marion's pizza, another local favorite-- thin crust, toppings out to the edge.

Have a great trip! :)

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/04 18:26:35 (permalink)
    CTD

if you like BBQ, then the Smokin Ox in Oxford has some good food and cold adult beverages

http://www.smokinox.com/index.html

it is blocks from miami, and right in the center of town

brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 02:02:37 (permalink)
    Some guys have a huger smoker they leave on site day and nite. They do great beef and a few other things. The pit beef is among the best youll find anywhere!
    Take 75 to 122(university) and follow along. You will find it in a big graveled lot. They used to have chairs but not everyday. Get in early as they sell out and close pretty quock\Very good
    britt
    brittneal
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 02:27:07 (permalink)
    Also for a nice mid priced dinner try Old hickory either on brown or main. They have great ribs(they have cookers all over the counters so you can watch them cook) Last time I went was 10 years agom I had a 22 oz bone in sirloin that had to be folded over to fit the plate($9.99 in 96_ and my friend got a whole plate of chicken sautr'rd with onion and pepper for 6.95
    Its not hard to fill up there. The couple next to us had a rack of spare ribs. The 2 slabs nearly filled their table,, Sauce is only served on the side, Beware the 1 on Brown St. We were eating at a mom &pop chinese accross tge street and before the hickory opened for dinner the line was around the block*no reservations accepted.
    The chinese place was WahFoo's home of the chicken chopped suez. Another inexpensive place w/great eats
    Eaton is easy to hit from Indy-dayton. Its just a frw mile north of 35 on 78, Then after you do Dayton then its straight up Toledo for Packo:. T take the tollway straight to Cleveland.

britt
    brittneal
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 02:57:01 (permalink)
    If you do look for a Grseters for some great ice cream, now theres always a City BBQ attached,
    SOunds like were going to run ragged.
    Have big fun
    britt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 03:00:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brittneal

Eaton is easy to hit from Indy-dayton. Its just a frw mile north of 35 on 78, Then after you do Dayton then its straight up Toledo for Packo:. T take the tollway straight to Cleveland.

britt

Britt, where is this 78 of which you speak? While US 35 goes through Eaton, there is no highway numbered 78. I'm confused here!
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 03:09:01 (permalink)
    Oh, and being a former Miami student, here's my two cents as far as Oxford goes. This was the early 1990s. I remember my friends talking about a place called Attractions at the southwest corner of High and Main "uptown" (Oxford-ese for downtown); last I went through (October 2005) it became something like "Club 45". I never ate there because in those days I avoided "sit down" service because I hated to go to those types of restaurants all by myself, with the one exception being Skyline Chili! Unfortunately I tended to eat at chains; Roadfood had not yet arrived on the scene (at least cyberspace). My favorite restaurant in Oxford that qualifies as "roadfood", the "Phillips 27" (I almost called it "Phillips 66", oh my! Oh, well, I'll get back to GasBuddy shortly!), closed a few years ago. I was fortunate to eat there in May 2003.
    brittneal
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 06:04:50 (permalink)
    Whoopsie another typo, Thats I70 east from Indy Im guessing that 70 is less than 5 miles from 5miles noth of 35 about there, as it meanders around a bit/Sorry bout that gang
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2008/07/05 12:38:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

CTD

if you like BBQ, then the Smokin Ox in Oxford has some good food and cold adult beverages

http://www.smokinox.com/index.html

it is blocks from miami, and right in the center of town

I've been here a couple of times and agree with you. A fun BBQ joint.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5030
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2014/05/29 15:02:45 (permalink)
    Sure, this thread's almost 6 years old but it's still relevant...

My August travel plans might take me through Oxford and Smokin' Ox and Mac & Joe's are both on my list of possible stops.  Has either changed significantly in the recent past?  Google Maps shows a lot of other places in the same general area as well.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3746
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2014/05/29 15:56:31 (permalink)
    I think that this thread is so old that ChiTownDiner's kid is now a post-doc. ;) 
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: Indy-Oxford(Miami)-Dayton(U of Day-Cleveland (JCU) 2014/05/30 15:04:22 (permalink)
    SC - I haven't heard anything either way on Smokin Ox, but we still hit Mac N Joe's all the time and it's as good as ever. I still highly recommend it.

We have Miami hockey season tickets and we go all the time before games.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1