Info for birders

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/28 15:28:15 (permalink)
It is interesting to see the Cardinal couples at the feeder. It is a common 'habit' for the male to feed the female from our sunflower seed feeders. Sometimes the female will sit on the fountain in our yard and the male will shuttle back and forth bringing her seeds from the feeded a few feet away. Here is a Mama Cardinal ..She looks to be about ready to settle on a nest in our Rose of Sharon!

I was suprised at the number of Cardinals we see here, literally Hundreds of them on a daily basis. We stopped putting out trays of food and fruit and the Jays quit visiting, but that allows a lot more of the smaller birds to get to the feeders we do stock. Now and then we will get an unusual one passing thru--like an Oreole or the big Woodpecker or Barn Owls. There is a Blue Heron nesting near here somewhere. We see him almost daily sitting at the top of a large Beech tree in the neighbors yard.
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 10:09:27 (permalink)
Another birder here. Our deck faces a woods, a creek, and a farm in order of distance so we get all sorts of birds and critters. We like to sit out in the evening and wait for the nature show to begin. We have deer, foxes, hares, raccoons, various types of squirrels, and coyotes in our yard on a fairly regular basis. (We had to take in the birdfeeder we had hanging off the deck because a bold and pesky raccoon was coming up every evening to clean out the contents.) We've also had a mallard couple who show up in spring and build their nest next to the creek which inevitably swells with spring rains and sweeps away the nest. Birth control, maybe? They waddle up to the front yard and wander around the neighborhood for a few days, getting lots of handouts of cracked corn and bread.

The list of birds we see is long but my favorites include red-tailed hawks, brown thrashers, flickers, indigo buntings, Baltimore oriels, and various herons. We used to see Eastern bluebirds but haven't had them in the yard for a few years. I am happy to hear that they are being seen in Indiana and Tennessee.

We don't get the pileated woodpeckers here but do get all the other species. We always get a slow learner who decides to drill our vinyl siding at 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.

If none of the wild critters show up, we enjoy seeing the neighbor's cows. The calves are pretty frisky and are fun to watch in spring.

Mayor, your photos are just wonderful. Thanks so much for posting them!

Sandy
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 12:09:32 (permalink)
The pilieated woodpecker is having a field day on our new pile of logs. That's good. Keeps him off the house.
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 14:55:24 (permalink)
Well, we're lucky in that we do get lots of hawks, and twice a year, eagles come through.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6393
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 16:21:53 (permalink)
We had a Cooper's Hawk perched on a branch right outside our front door yesterday. We suspect he got wind of the chipmunks nesting under our front porch deck.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 17:05:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

We had a Cooper's Hawk perched on a branch right outside our front door yesterday. We suspect he got wind of the chipmunks nesting under our front porch deck.

Nice spot. A coopers hawk is a smaller one and most follks are not able to identify them.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 17:07:46 (permalink)
I get a Sharp Shinned hawk frequently, I love watching him fly and hunt but I don't love it when he snatches birds off the feeder! Several times I have seen him sit on the branch right above the feeder just waiting but the other birds are smart and stay away. I have seen him off hunting a few blocks over so my yard is once again filled with goldfinches, chickadees and cardinals.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13521
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 17:13:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kland01s

I get a Sharp Shinned hawk frequently, I love watching him fly and hunt but I don't love it when he snatches birds off the feeder! Several times I have seen him sit on the branch right above the feeder just waiting but the other birds are smart and stay away. I have seen him off hunting a few blocks over so my yard is once again filled with goldfinches, chickadees and cardinals.

Everybody's gotta eat!! I felt the same way when I saw a red tail nail a squirrel at my feeder. I am sure that the next squirrel learned a lesson.

Nice spot on the sharp shin.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15302
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/29 19:59:12 (permalink)

We have a flock of Buzzards that cruise along the Ohio River banks looking for dead critters. When the sun is right, we will get the circling shadows of several of them crossing our back yard now and then. Thats a neat sight...shadows crossing. And then some of the Air Guard C-130's based in Louisville will circle low also... It really isn't too hard to tell them apart !
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/30 16:27:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Well, we're lucky in that we do get lots of hawks, and twice a year, eagles come through.

Eagles!! Pwingsx, I really envy you! Bald or golden?
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/30 16:33:18 (permalink)
does seeing roadruners count?
the ones around here should be called road saunters
Sandy Thruthegarden
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/30 16:36:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We have a flock of Buzzards that cruise along the Ohio River banks looking for dead critters.

In March, we've been getting a flock of buzzards who roost in a dead tree on the farm behind our house. They spend most of the time airing their wings and looking like half-open black umbrellas. They tend to pair up so I guess they're mating couples. It's been interesting to watch them. I hadn't previously associated "buzzard" with "romance' but obviously that's where little buzzards come from.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/30 22:33:01 (permalink)
I have a lot of Red tailed hawks, can always tell when one has decided to perch in a tree in my area, the other birds go nuts, alot of noise and eventually they drive off the hawk. No swallows this year, don't no why. Buzzard, had one roost here for about 20 years, still get a sighting now and then, but nice to see it go. Gonna love this folks, the kid next door trying like hell to get a barn finnished by Aug 20th. {city kid} he is a hard worker. Well he is out there in the dark, it's 10.30 and I just heard him yell Oh S..t, I told him! Gotta close the windows. Chow Jim
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/30 22:59:45 (permalink)
while living in north texas, we woke up one morning to find a Cooper's Hawk in our backyard dining on
one of the doves who nested there. i was so upset, i called mckinney's bird sanctuary and they told me to enjoy it because it was a good thing to see so close to my window. i still find that hard to believe. anyway, thanks to the thread, i'm now paying more attention to the avian population in this area.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Info for birders 2006/07/31 22:42:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

does seeing roadruners count?
the ones around here should be called road saunters

Must be the heat!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1