Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/22 23:40:44 (permalink)
What's the deadly 4?
Aïda
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/23 07:47:38 (permalink)
We are staff to 15 cats. One is a purebred Maine Coon (could not resist him) but the rest are 'normal' cats. We have a couple who decided to come live with us (were at the front door, walked in and never left, owner nowhere to be found, to our delightment I must say),
we found one and rescued several from different places.
Our latest addition is one about 4 months old now who was rescued from Turkey by people from a foundation which rescues dogs from Turkey (long story how they ended up with the cat).
They do not travel with us but when we come over to the US (as long as we can afford it we go once a year for about three weeks) our vet looks after them. She lives close by and passes our house while walking her dogs.
Although the occasional bite might be shared they really only eat pet food. We try (sometimes fail) not to give them of our food since we would rather not have about 10 cats begging at the table while we eat.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/23 08:23:13 (permalink)
We've got a yellow lab named Bullet. A 50 gallon aquarium with native fish (bass, bream, catfish, threadfin shad, bream of various types (that's perch to you Yankee types), and a softshell turtle that keeps having to be removed and replaced because when he gets too big he starts eating the fish. 4 cats and, a little more casually, an entire family of coons and one really big possum (they come up on back porch every night and dine on cat food). The wild critters are fun to watch, but they are really gluttons " />
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/23 09:01:46 (permalink)
The deadly 4 are four things that dogs should never be fed, according to most experts. They are onions, grapes, raisins, and of course, chocolate.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/23 12:05:07 (permalink)
I have 2 cats named midgy and marvy. A dalmation-pit bull mix named Cody and a pygmy goat named Lamby.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/23 13:31:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

The deadly 4 are four things that dogs should never be fed, according to most experts. They are onions, grapes, raisins, and of course, chocolate.

Thanks! E.
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/24 00:06:43 (permalink)
Define "Deadly," as far as the onions are concerned. Our dog, a pug, gets fed a couple tablespoons of whatever's for dinner along with her dog food, and given the number of onions we go through in a week, she would be long in the grave if they were actually particularly bad for her.

Speaking of onions, one of the cats is mad for onion skins and can hear me peeling an onion from any point in this three-story house. By the time I'm halfway through, he'll be at my feet demanding to play with (and eventually consume) the crackling onion paper. Another cat (there are four all told) has eaten up to 13 stalks of asparagus in a sitting, and the youngest of the lot is similarly fond of green beans. The three birds have no particular food fetishes.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/24 09:31:41 (permalink)
Lucky Bishop, depending on the size of your pet, he or she may be able to ingest certain amounts of chocolate and onions, but over time onions will destroy red blood cells and cause the pet to become anemic. Short term effects are gas and stomach upset. With chocolate, the stimulants are the problem. The darker the chocolate the worse for the animal. Again, some larger animals seem to be able to ingest larger amounts of milk chocolate, but a vet visit it still advised. As for raisins and grapes, those are the most problematic, in that you can't predict what the reaction of toxicity will be. What is certain is that they cause kidney failure in dogs, whether in a single serving or a larger amount.

Again, this is information that is readily available, what you feed your animals is up to you.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/24 12:50:51 (permalink)
We are fully cat-owned. Used to have a dog, but he got snappy with our boy Ian when he was a baby, so we had to stop being dog people. We've had as many as 9 cats at one time (every time we failed to have a child we'd get another cat....or two....). The current stable is at five. Last year, we lost three to extreme old age bang-bang-bang by mid May, and became a less-than-five pet household for the first time since 1987. The roster:

Basil: Dark-grey tigerstripe, not notable for grace or poise or brains, but for mercurial mood changes, hence the title "Evil Zen Master Basil." Tastes run to amphibians.

Floyd: A paler grey stripe, formerly a stray at our old house who adopted us...or rather, our son, Ian, who was 3 at the time. Sweet, a little skittish, and fully Ian's cat. Likes catfood, cream cheese, and beef. And a peculiar attachment to carrots; when cooking, I dare not leave them on the island in the kitchen, or he'll be on them in a second.

Hillary: Calico. Fat. Just Fat. A lover of fine catfoods and dirty underwear, shoes, and socks.

Puck: Another stray (this tends to happen to us) found on a busy street near our house during rush hour by our neighbor but somehow we ended up with him even though we had six at the time and they had two... Perhaps the prettiest orange cat I've ever seen. Our prime mouser/moler, taught by Mistress of the Hunt, Crumpet, before she died last year. His signature "kill": a rodent head on the back patio, nose pointing toward the door, mouth pointing up. (Insert sound of Zorro's sword making a Z on the wall.)

Bess: A gray and white control freak, full name Bessie Mae Mucho. My birthday present last year to brings us back up to five after our losses. Not a cuddler. Not a charmer. A sourpuss. She entered the house, sensed a leadership void, and became Alpha Cat. None of the others dare cross her. None of the others dare approach the sofa upon which she sits. Her favorite foods: What are YOU having?

None are much for travel. Our first cat together, Casey, was a GREAT traveller; she and my wife, Vickie, were closer than any animal and person duo I've ever known. Casey loved to go to Kentucky for the weekend and have leftovers from carryout or whatever my Uncle Dale had finished up.

SkyyeBlue
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 06:14:04 (permalink)
2 cats, black tuxedo kittie named Pookie and the fat gray Manx (pound kitty) named Miranda... or sometimes... "Mirandatee" after Manatee. She's a fat gray sausage roll, alright. My babies.

Hmm.. they love... beef jerky, tuna water, and cleaning breakfast pancake plates laden with extra syrup...
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7377
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 15:22:45 (permalink)
Fifi, my 16-year old long hair cat travels everywhere with me but she does cop a cattitude when she sees the luggage come out. She's only in for Friskie's Ocean Flavor dry food so Roadfood is out (yay! I don't have to share). She's lived in Michigan, Paris, Brussels, Boston, and now we're on our second stint in Alaska. Thinking of getting her own frequent flyer card.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 20:03:45 (permalink)
Friends, I am very sorry to have to amend my description of my pet, Wolfus The Wonder Dog. Due to his failing health and other age factors We made the difficult decision to put him to sleep this morning.

Wolfus, our pet for the last 14 years passed away this morning. He had shown the effects of old age for some time, but got much worse over recent months. He was a great companion to me over the years, sharing some rocky times and bringing a great deal of happiness and comfort to Janet and I when we got together.
Wolfus showed me more loyalty than any pet I have had during my lifetime. He would meet me at the door when I came home from school, or from the store, or from anywhere else. He would head for the door if I looked like I was leaving, hoping to be included in the trip...wherever we were going. He loved to ride. The trips down to the tracks in Cajon Pass to watch trains were a favorite of his, probably because he would see me getting excited about whatever was going by, and joined in the fun. As he grew older, he mirrored my personality...becoming an "Old Fart" right alongside his Master.
The decision to put him to sleep was a difficult one for me, but I couldn't stand to see him suffer as he lost his mobility and control of his body .
He was a good dog and I will miss him a lot.
Al
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 20:12:50 (permalink)
Al so sorry to hear for the loss of your good friend Wolfus. I'm sure he will continue to be a part of your life even though his physical being is no longer among us.
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 20:59:28 (permalink)
Al
I am sorry to hear of the loss of your special friend but I am sure Wolfus will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge.

Jakes Mom - That OCDreamr
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 21:17:40 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor - Surely sorry for your loss, but it was great to read of the life and love you and Wolfus shared. Know each of you was blessed by having the other all these years and that he will continue to be with you in all those great memories.
Laughing Goddess
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 21:18:28 (permalink)
Al, so sorry to hear about Wolfus too. I'm sure you made the right decision -- there's no sense in letting him suffer. I'm sure you were a good Dad to him.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 21:23:45 (permalink)
Two dogs, a Belgian Tervuran (Ariel), and a Shiba Inu (Flash). Both AKC Champs. Now retired.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 21:50:26 (permalink)
Thank you friends for your good thoughts.
O C - I read the poem about dogs and the Rainbow Bridge ( given to us by the vet that took care of the dog today). It was quite comforting. Thank you.
AL
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/08 22:34:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fdm813

Two dogs, a Belgian Tervuran (Ariel), and a Shiba Inu (Flash). Both AKC Champs. Now retired.

I was thinking about the Shiba Inu before I became owned by my cairn terrier. I have now totally fallen in love with the cairn breed, but still have a passing interest in the Shiba Inus
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1165
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/09 19:07:05 (permalink)
Al, it's so, so sad when a member of your family, human or otherwise, passes away. I hope you have many many pictures of Wolfus, and even more memories. I still cry when I look at pictures of my dog who has been dead for 20 years. He was a collie, 15 years old at that time, and I just think they are fantastic dogs!!

For the past 20 years, however, I have shared my home with a cockatiel named Keppie. He's very pretty and very spoiled. Yep, he'll be 20 years old this month. Sassy and loud as ever.

My boyfriend, Bill, has two horses, Red and Jessie (Jessie to me looks like a mule...ssshhh don't tell him I said this); one Shetland pony named Spikey; one cat who I don't pay much attention to and her name is either Patches or Panda (actually I think it's Panda but I call her Patches), and he did have two sweet but tough-looking dogs, Dukey and Jasmine-but-I-call-her-Princess, but recently acquired a third, Deuce the Wonder Dog. No wonder he had to leave one of his two jobs with all the feedings!
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/10 00:10:03 (permalink)
Dixie The Wonder Dog is about 4 years old and very smart. She is a Jack Russell Terrier with a little Chihuahua thrown in. She just wandered in off the street. She had been fixed so she must have belonged to someone? She has learned a variety of tricks almost the first time I teach them to her. I can even get her to lick her lips and wink an eye on voice command. A family friend for life! We can't get her to eat dog food. Nothing we try, we even starved her for days and she wouldn't touch it. I use a food processor to make her own special dog food. But it is all worth it.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/08/11 13:08:16 (permalink)
Two cats for me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1