Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
2003/07/16 22:01:21 (permalink)

Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets

So...just curious. Are you roadfoodies owned by cats or dogs? Fish? Iguanas? No pets? Do they come with you on your roadfooding adventures? Do they have well-developed palates, too?

Hubby and I have 4 cats (as if you couldn't guess!). They stay behind when we travel. But they do love to eat as much as we do! One of them recently tipped the scales at 20 lbs. until the vet put him on a diet. We affectionately called him Sumo-Kitty.

Meowzart

51 Replies Related Threads

CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 22:07:07 (permalink)
    I am the human slave to two cockatiels; Richard and Dede, who pretty much run the house. They like baked potatoes, pasta, rice, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, scrambled eggs, and prefer their water to have ice cubes in it. Dede drinks milk from a glass, eats ice cream and cereal from a spoon and loves cooked chicken and turkey, which I find to be downright creepy.

My husband and I are in the process of adopting a shelter dog, which should add fun to the mix.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 22:24:03 (permalink)
    The wife and I currently have three dogs of the Brussels Griffon persuasion. These dogs will anything and everything if you give them half a chance. They eat fruit, vegtables, ice cream, etc. But do you know what they really love? Plain cooked white rice. They think it is filet mignon. Don't know where they got that from but at least it something cheap and easy.

John
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 22:38:18 (permalink)
    One dog: a beagle, Snoopy (not very original of me, I know)

Three cats: the fluffy white one is Eenie, short haired white one is Wee-Wee, and black kitten is Moonman (cuz there was a full moon the night I got him).

The kitties have had anything from leftover tuna to leftover caviar (well, not the really good stuff)! and of course Snoopy will eat leftover anything.

They all travel with me on the road -- I've driven them across country what? 8 times now? And it's great how nice restaurant people will be when they see that you have pets in the car (i.e., "I have an extra cheeseburger here, does your dog want it?")

I live in Arkansas, and when you go through a liquor store or bank drive-thru, they always give Snoopy a Milk-Bone. I was amazed enough when I moved here that there are drive-thru liquor stores, never mind that they all stock dog biscuits...

If anybody needs advice on long trips with pets, let me know -- it's really not that difficult.
    rhpenland
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 22:51:31 (permalink)
    I have one cat named Bravo. He hates riding in the car. Thus, although he would enjoy the eating if we went for seafood (maybe BBQ too, he likes that if its light on the sauce)he stays at home almost always :)

Rob
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 22:58:10 (permalink)
    I am owned by two Great Danes, was owned by four at one time. It was funny seeing 20 some odd feet of dog snoozing butt to nose on the living room floor. The two we have now are rescue dogs, as have been most of them. Danes have owned me since I was a child. As an adult they have maintained my addiction. They are great companions, they can learn to be adequate cow dogs, although my aussie shepards are much better heelers and herders. Also owned by what used to be 5 indoor cats, however there are now 9, one cat I thought was spade wasn't. Also innumerable outside cats, which control the varmints in the corrals, barns, and other out buildings. Since I live in the country people seem to think it is OK to dump kittens We feed them until they can fend for themselves, or other cats wet nurse them. If they can survive the coyotes, and can earn their keep then they are welcome. They appreciate left over milk from milking time, some even learn to catch squirts from a teat, that is a kick to watch, as some get quite adept at it. Also numerous horses, cattle, pigs, sheep, chickens, etc. Learned long ago not to name anything you might eat, but keep forgetting the lesson. ENJOY
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 23:13:38 (permalink)
    Two Dogs, can't travel w/o them.
    Poodle, Oreo 15 yrs old and the brains of the pack
    Pit Bull, Murphy Brown, foundling off the streets of Detroit. 9 years old
    and getting older, Girls Dog, belongs to every girl in my neighborhood.
    Rolled a New Airstream 5 years ago, comming home from the dealership
    Both dogs and my parents in the vehicle.
    Pit Bull had nightmares (Me too) for weeks afterwhich ...
    Poodle was like ... When are we getting another one ? and she had to get in that
    twisted hunk of aluminim, look at the roof lowered to 3 feet ...
    But that was then ... Now if I even start the Suburban ... Dogs clinging to me like
    flies on ....

Roger Armitage
    Detroit Michigan
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 23:28:06 (permalink)
    1 Hungarian Vizsla
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/16 23:32:57 (permalink)
    My companion is Wolfus, The Wonder Dog. A Benji sized, mostly yorkie or skye terrier. He stays within 6 ft of me where ever we go. He is now 14 and slowing down a lot. I have to lift him up onto the bed each night...but I think his needs are a bit of a scam on me. Wolfus has been with me since he was just a few weeks old. In Fact he has been around several years longer than my wife...He let's her know this frequently by curling up on her pillow at night before she gets to the bed. This reminds her that he was there first and he will yield the space to her only when she asks him to move. He rides on my left knee with his head out the driver's window when allowed. Although his stiffness and old age are not letting him sit that way for long anymore. He is a good traveler and a very fussy eater. He also hates being left at a Pet Motel when we don't take him on a trip with us.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 03:23:46 (permalink)
    Pembroke Welsh Corgi (our third). Sweetest one we've had; typically bright, stubborn, and friendly. Formerly female. Still a pup: sporadically housebroken, chews on things. Eats strictly puppy chow except when my mother-in-law is here and feeds her on the sly. Loves to chew on ice--runs to the kitchen when she hears the dispenser.

Three cats, all inherited from our children.

Cinnamon, maybe 12?, an orange tabby: formerly male, declawed in front but prefers to be outdoors anyway & sometimes catches birds. Has some innate dignity, unlike the others.

Harry going on 13, an elderly seal-point Siamese named for a particularly stupid dog in some TV show our son watched as a child: formerly male, won't go outdoors except with a dog for protection; also declawed in front. Sweet, very affectionate, and really dumb. He sleeps "spooned" with one of us most nights.

Little Bit, 7, possibly a lynx-point Siamese, formerly female. And a good thing that is: if she still had her hormones working, she'd be cat-dom's reigning call girl, even if a bit chubby. Often affectionate, won't even consider going outdoors. Doing so would be beneath the dignity she thinks she has. Also declawed in front. Also known as B..ch-kitty or Madame Slutsky.

All cats live on dry cat chow. We have not been without a Siamese cat for more than a month or two at the time since 1970.

None travel with us, though the dog will probably visit our children when we do. She loves to ride.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 04:22:37 (permalink)
    So glad you asked!

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 06:40:32 (permalink)
    No pets except Esmerelda, a large female bullfrog who has lived in and about our pool for the last 4 summers. She will swim along with family members and hop into our hands but is shy (make that invisible) around strangers so last year, we videotaped her antics because people wouldn't believe us. I first was afraid the chlorine would bother her but doesn't seem to be a problem. She keeps the pool free of insects so a lot less skimming.

We also have a lot of chipmunks on our property and 2 are tame enough to eat from my hand - Chipper and Tonto. Their favorite food is green beans. When I sit on my porch steps to cut up fresh string beans, they beg for the tips.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 09:56:59 (permalink)
    Razbo, the brave-hearted weenine dog!

She likes to go in the car even if you are just backing out of the driveway, she thinks she has been somewhere.

She also protects our backyard airspace from all manner of flying objects, from birds to aircraft.
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:02:20 (permalink)
    Three grey tabbies, Indigo (the mom), and Emily and Galileo (her kittens.)
    Fussy eaters all.

However, my recently deceased brown tabby Jimmy took the cake when it came to a varied diet. I've never seen a cat more eager to eat and never seen one who would eat the variety of foods he did: pizza, spaghetti, ice cream, asparagus (he loved it and once ate an entire serving dish full of it), water chestnuts, lettuce, and even marinated artichoke hearts. Raisins, straight out of the box! His favorite thing in the world was black olives...he couldn't decide whether to eat them or play with them! I miss him, but he's up in kitty heaven chowing down on a shrimp dinner right now.....
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:04:14 (permalink)
    My life is ruled by a Cairn terrier named Jake. He's smart as a whip and stubborn as a mule a dog with a real attitude. Because my last dog (a Brittany) was a mega moocher, I swore Jake wouldn't get people food. I hold to that pretty much & he really isn't interested in a lot of my food. He does love peanut butter though, just say the words & you get a Pavlov's effect from him. Also found out he love's frozen strawberries, so these are a special treat for hot summer days. Jake likes to take car rides & if I'm not going fast enough for him he pokes my leg until I pick up speed.
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:22:10 (permalink)
    One dog, Ulf, a lab/shepherd/collie/who knows? from the Stamford pound -- best $5 we ever invested! Hates the car (associates it with the vet), ergo no Roadfooding for him.
    Alirush
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:27:35 (permalink)
    We are owned by two large dogs. Our oldest is Tuna, a big mutt that we adopted from the pound. She, like me, loves all kinds of food. She reacts the same way to anything edible - she's just happy to be eating. Our kitchen is spotless, thanks to her. She will often work on a spill for half an hour or more, savoring every last little molecule.

The baby of the family is Pippi, a lovely weimaraner. She is partial to good loaves of bread and chocolate milk, and will climb furniture and countertops in search of both. She also prefers to drink out of a glass. This is not such a great thing when we have guests who put down their drinks within reach, but as long as they don't see, what's the harm?
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:37:31 (permalink)
    We've got 200 lbs. of dog. A Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Molly and a Greyhound named Time (Racing name was Mong's Best Time) we rescued from the local dog track. Our one remaining cat has been outsourced to my mother -- as he got older he became less tolerant of the dogs. We've also got a few koi in our little pond in the garden.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 10:49:52 (permalink)
    Vanessa, the beautiful yet weird domestic long-haired calico, who becomes jealous whenever I'm around my husband. (It's him she's after, not me.) She hears -- from a mile away -- the hand-cranked can opener when I open a can of tuna. I should rename her Lindsay Wagner, the bionic cat.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 12:27:49 (permalink)
    Owned by a 24 year old umbrella cockatoo named Kip (dutch for chicken). She loves everything as long as i eat it first. But we try to keep her healthy so I cant let her follow her dad's bad ways sometimes. She is a female and lays eggs, but also loves scrambled eggs which I find slightly cannibalistic and unnerving. But she loves em!

Also have a 6 year old Yorkie named Bessie. She is on a holistic diet so she loves about any meat/vegetable combination you can find. She is expecially fond of the salamis i make and dry...

They do go everywhere with my wife and I.
    catosaurus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 13:29:48 (permalink)
    The only kitty left in my household is Gateau (aka Buppy-Lovebuckets), who is a breathtakingly beautiful calico. She 18 years old and is now totally toothless (her remaining teeth had to be removed last year due to decay). I was afraid that would affect her ability to eat, but I shouldn't have worried! Of course, only canned food is on the menu now. Her absolutely favorite treat is a jasmine blossom ... the flower. She could eat an entire bowlful if they were made available. She also likes to lick off any cologne I apply, so there's something about those intense fragrances that tickle her tastebuds.

Her brother, Otto-the-Gato, succumbed to long-standing kidney failure last year, 1 month prior to his 17th birthday. In his prime, he was a big bruiser of a feline (17 pounds), who loved cereal milk so much that I had to eat the cereal standing up; he'd get whatever I left in the bowl. Since he had terrorized his sister for most of their lives, I decided that she deserved to live out her remaining days in peace. I won't adopt any more cats until she's gone.

Gateau gets carsick (she throws up every single time she's driven more than 6 blocks), so traveling with her isn't an option. I use the services of a wonderful cat-sitter (a vet's aide) when I'm out of town.

Gateau is smart as a whip, sweet as sugar, and soft as silk. She occasionally still chases her tail or a string that I pull, but her greatest pleasures are getting petted and doted on by me.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 14:14:34 (permalink)
    Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Rescue dog, originally from Plano, TX. Now he's in Colorado, and he loves the snow. Currently recovering from surgery for a torn ACL, poor puppy.

Not allowed people food except for ice cream. Then we share the same spoon. We like Cherry Garcia and pistachio Haagen Dazs the best.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 15:10:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

Owned by a 24 year old umbrella cockatoo named Kip (dutch for chicken). She loves everything as long as i eat it first. But we try to keep her healthy so I cant let her follow her dad's bad ways sometimes. She is a female and lays eggs, but also loves scrambled eggs which I find slightly cannibalistic and unnerving. But she loves em!

Also have a 6 year old Yorkie named Bessie. She is on a holistic diet so she loves about any meat/vegetable combination you can find. She is expecially fond of the salamis i make and dry...

They do go everywhere with my wife and I.

Our Yellow-nape Amazon Lewis also loves a scrambled egg (although she's never layed one [or is it laid one?]), as well as chicken wings.
    Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/17 23:53:19 (permalink)
    We are the proud grandparents to an 8 year old beagle named Abby.She presides downstairs from us with her Mommy.Abby is the joy in our lives. She has been with our daughter since she was 12 weeks old. Abby lives the life of Riley around here. Her every wish is our command.Abby doesn't believe that dog food was made to be eaten by dogs. She is a foodie of the four legged kind.
    TANFANRN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/18 01:15:56 (permalink)
    A 13 YEAR OLD SPRINGER SPANIEL NAMED BARNEY. HE GETS HIS WEEKEND FIX OF AN EGG FRIED IN BACON GREASE AND THE OCCASIONAL STEAK SCRAPS FROM HIS ADORING "SISTERS." UNFORTUNATELY, HE SUFFERS FROM BOUTS OF CAR SICKNESS, SO HE STAYS AT A LOCAL DOG HOTEL. THIS FOURTH OF JULY, THEY TREATED THE DOGS TO A HOT DOG PICNIC. BARNEY DOESN'T HEAR SO GOOD THESE DAYS, UNLESS YOU RATTLE HIS BOX OF SCOOBY SNACKS.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/18 15:46:19 (permalink)
    My motto is to never own anything that has to be fed or cleaned up after. Ergo, no pets.

The other problem is, well, umm, rather awkward, as I've eaten around the globe, and thre's nothing I won't try, so I don't think it's a good idea for me to have well-fattened furry creatures hanging around the house.

My beloved won't let me go to Rabbit Adoption Day at the Humane Society as it is now. *sigh* Some of those big fat ones would braise beautifully.

Eric, Hungrily
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/18 16:08:41 (permalink)
    Well, it's hard to fault you, because I'm fairly certain that if I were the smaller one, my cat would happily kill and eat me with no qualms whatsoever.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18483
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/18 17:06:13 (permalink)
    I have a Chespeake Bay retriever bitch named Ruby, and an old cat named Tarzana.
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/22 21:29:12 (permalink)
    We have a chocolate brown Chihuahua who is crazy about riding in the car. I like boxers, but don't want to spend the money needed to feed one.
    Texicana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Informal poll: Roadfooders and their pets 2003/07/22 22:34:32 (permalink)
    My kid is a Lhasa Apso, BluSavana, and I also have a dog, a beagle-thing from the pound named Mia. The kid eats absolutely everything, except the deadly 4, and loves jalapenos.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1