Ingredients posted on packaged foods

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7766
2012/08/23 11:16:26 (permalink)

Ingredients posted on packaged foods

Truth in advertising.
I don't know if it's federal or state, but ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order of highest to lowest.

That's not what bugs me...

Assorted Spices
Artificial Seasonings

What the Hell are these?

They don't have to give us the recipes, just the ingredients.  I think I have a right to know.
What if I have a food allergy to one of their secret spices?

11 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/08/23 11:30:39 (permalink)
    Perhaps you could check with the FDA and see what they have to say about it:
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/FoodAdditives/default.htm
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/08/30 15:49:46 (permalink)
    Do you like Indian food?

I went to the Cash & Carry last week to stock for my "Curry up" food plan...

All of the ingredients listed...all food. Nothing else.

Heavy-duty packaging...

Ok...let's see. I held the shrimp back just in case...

It was soooo good. A little spicy but I added a little Greek yogurt to cool it off and it tasted like it did not come from a package. It was $1.99 each buy 2 get 1 FREE.

All of the packaged frozen snacks etc were the same. All of the listed ingredients on the labels and all of the ingredients are food. No preservatives additives etc. Delicious.
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/01 12:15:35 (permalink)
    CCinNJ Do you like Indian food?

There is a large Indian population in New York and Northern New Jersey, so these are easy to come by (and $1.50-$2.00 for a package, although the local Stop & Shop tries to sell them for $3.99). However, due to cultural differences, you have to watch not the ingredients, but the date. There is an Indian store I used to frequent, but it was selling packeted vegetable mixes that were all expired, some with expiration dates from the last century.

I buy boneless chicken breasts, cut them into chunks, steam them, and freeze them in 6 ounce portions; I typically add one of those portions to a package of Indian vegetables.

Bart
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/01 12:23:28 (permalink)
    Apna Bazar in Jersey City is very very busy. It's right off Newark Ave. in the "Little India" neighborhood. Fresh delicious and cheap as chips. It's busy from open to close.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/01 12:23:45 (permalink)
    If you stick to fresh meat and fish and fresh vegetables you won't have this problem.  That's what I do. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/01 13:48:28 (permalink)
    Lisa, I do use fresh meat and vegetables but it's usually the seasonings I'm using that are questionable.  Having a severe dislike for a certain herb, I'd like to know if it's included prior to my paying for it.

However, using a prepackaged mix once in awhile helps when I'm tired or lazy.  To those I add the fresh foods.

FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/02 01:06:34 (permalink)
    Courtesy of your federal tax dollars, let me make this perfectly clear:

Any substance that is reasonably expected to become a component of food is a food additive that is subject to premarket approval by FDA, unless the substance is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) among experts qualified by scientific training and experience to evaluate its safety under the conditions of its intended use, or meets one of the other exclusions from the food additive definition in section 201(s) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA)1. Any food additive that is intended to have a technical effect in the food is deemed unsafe unless it either conforms to the terms of a regulation prescribing its use or to an exemption for investigational use. Otherwise, in accordance with section 409 of the Act2, the substance is deemed an unsafe food additive. Any food that contains an unsafe food additive is adulterated under section 402(a)(2)(C) of the FFDCA3.

so...basically...you think you got a food allergy......stay away from the stuff or try a small amount. Otherwise, why should they tell you......you wanna know how to make Coca-Cola?

You go out and order the "La Fontina de Mer avec Sauce Molinere"  What's in it?  Only guy who knows is the head chef....not the kid plating your dinner or the server.  If you suffer from food allergies, you need to take care..and maybe not eat out so much or buy stuff that has "assorted spices"
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/02 12:31:01 (permalink)
    If you know you're allergic to something & cannot ascertain from the packaging whether or not the item contains something you can't have, I say Yellow Light--Proceed, with caution.

There have been a few times I've gotten skunked, but I knew that going in & didn't eat that much of it. Good luck.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/02 13:42:05 (permalink)
    bartl

CCinNJ Do you like Indian food?

There is a large Indian population in New York and Northern New Jersey, so these are easy to come by (and $1.50-$2.00 for a package, although the local Stop & Shop tries to sell them for $3.99). However, due to cultural differences, you have to watch not the ingredients, but the date. There is an Indian store I used to frequent, but it was selling packeted vegetable mixes that were all expired, some with expiration dates from the last century.

I buy boneless chicken breasts, cut them into chunks, steam them, and freeze them in 6 ounce portions; I typically add one of those portions to a package of Indian vegetables.

Bart
    I stopped going to an Indian grocery in Sharonville because they were selling Mango Juice that was out of date by over a year - they had it on their shelves for months after I mentioned it to them initially...dozens of cartons...

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/02 13:55:08 (permalink)
    Like everything else in life...find a good one or don't bother

I'm good...

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Ingredients posted on packaged foods 2012/09/02 14:15:26 (permalink)
    It's not the recipe in which I'm interested....

Just the ingredients.

When I'm doing diet preparation for a nuclear scan I have to stay clear of all iodine.  That means if something says it has Kosher salt it would be okay.  If it just says salt it could be either.

Same thing with red dyes.  There is one that I have to avoid.  So, looks red... stay clear.

It would not hurt them to list all seasonings, flavors, and dyes.

At least some are now putting "prepared in plant that also prepares peanut products"

That's not even an ingredient on said item.  But it's there for those that could be affected.

It's just type set or a computer entry.  Simple rather than deadly.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1