Inner Harbor Baltimore

Author
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 985
2009/07/13 01:11:13 (permalink)

Inner Harbor Baltimore

I'm going to Baltimore on 8/9 and coming back 8/12 for our annual I.R.E.S. meeting.  We're staying at the Marriott Waterfront on the Inner Harbor, and I won't have a car. 

I'm looking for places to eat Sunday night, 8/9.  We're going to the Orioles/A's game Monday night, 8/10, so I'm also looking for somewhere to eat before the game.  We went to Camden Yards in '01, and I already ate at Boog's BBQ at Camden Yards.  We have a Board of Directors dinner on Tuesday, 8/11 (I don't know where yet), so I'm set for that night.

We were there in '01, and stayed at the Hyatt on the Inner harbor - I ate at Legal Seafood (good, but not real roadfoody or Baltimore-y) and Phillips (over priced tourist food).

I've looked at past Inner Harbor threads, and they generally start off "since all the places on the Inner Harbor suck, get in your car and drive to...", so I need suggestions for places that are on the Inner Harbor, near Camden Yards, or some place I can got to wthout a car (water taxi?)

Suggestions?

9 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/13 07:17:03 (permalink)
    Niagara
    Suggestions?

Here are the two best suggestions you're going to get:

(1) Get the heck out of the tourist-driven Inner Harbor area.

(2) And walk to here, here or here (the latter for an all lump crabcake from Faidley's).

lucassal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/13 08:59:23 (permalink)
    Little Italy is within walking distance.  I thought Sabbatino's food was reasonable and our waitress down to earth.  I did not like the one that started with a "C" and is touted for its salad.  For a sweet treat, go to Vaccaro's.

Fell's Point can be reached by water taxi.  I've only eaten at Bertha's (Eat Bertha's Mussels), and I liked it, but I'm sure there are many other spots there.

I just returned from an overnight to Baltimore and ate a very delicious meal at Brewer's Art.  It is on Charles Street, not far from the Myerhoff.  It is not cheap, but the food is excellent and there is a wide selection of beers.  Eating at the bar or in the lounge is a cheapter option than the dining room.  This one would be accessible by light rail or taxi.

The Mt. Vernon area has a "restaurant row" on Charles Street with many options.  It's a bit of a hike from the Inner Harbor, but doable on foot or by light rail.

The crab cakes and macaroni and cheese at Faidley's are excellent, but the area surrounding Lexington Market is iffy. Go in daylight.

Have fun in Baltimore! 
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/13 09:15:18 (permalink)
    Niagara 
    I've looked at past Inner Harbor threads, and they generally start off "since all the places on the Inner Harbor suck, get in your car and drive to...", so I need suggestions for places that are on the Inner Harbor....

There is a really good reason why there are numerous threads that all give this advice. 

It's true.

I would also recommend Lex Market, but I would describe the neighborhood around the Market as a little dicey.  In my experience, I have never felt unsafe - but, I have always gone during the day. 

As far as truly IN Inner Harbor, I have eaten at an outpost of McCormick and Schmick's that fit the need of close and convenient, while offering better-than-Phillips food.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7965
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/13 09:16:50 (permalink)
    Niagara

I'm going to Baltimore on 8/9 and coming back 8/12 for our annual I.R.E.S. meeting.  We're staying at the Marriott Waterfront on the Inner Harbor, and I won't have a car. 

I'm looking for places to eat Sunday night, 8/9.  We're going to the Orioles/A's game Monday night, 8/10, so I'm also looking for somewhere to eat before the game.  We went to Camden Yards in '01, and I already ate at Boog's BBQ at Camden Yards.  We have a Board of Directors dinner on Tuesday, 8/11 (I don't know where yet), so I'm set for that night.

We were there in '01, and stayed at the Hyatt on the Inner harbor - I ate at Legal Seafood (good, but not real roadfoody or Baltimore-y) and Phillips (over priced tourist food).

I've looked at past Inner Harbor threads, and they generally start off "since all the places on the Inner Harbor suck, get in your car and drive to...", so I need suggestions for places that are on the Inner Harbor, near Camden Yards, or some place I can got to wthout a car (water taxi?)

Suggestions?

And I'm not sure why these responses start off that way, because unless you have a disability where I can certainly understand alternative transporation would be necessary , these locations including Mt Vernon, Fells Point, Little Italy an Federal Hill are all easily walkable from the Inner Harbor
    PAUL4FOOD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/28 17:58:44 (permalink)
    Definately go to MOE's Crabhouse. they had the best crabs I've ever tasted. Large & packed full of meat They have 3 different kind.  1)Garlic 2)old bay 3)spicy
    We also got the King Crab legs. They rank at the top of the best I've ever had!

Darn gotta plan another trip to visit Moe's!
    nattyboh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/28 21:01:41 (permalink)
    You'll be in town during Summer Restaurant Week.  The link provides a list of restaurants:

http://www.baltimorerestaurantweek.com/

Recommend Da Mimmo for Little Italy.  
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/29 09:48:12 (permalink)
    Thanks, nattyboh.  This is a big help.

We're going to Dalesio's tuesday night for the Board dinner.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/29 15:28:09 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Niagara

Suggestions?

And I'm not sure why these responses start off that way, because unless you have a disability where I can certainly understand alternative transporation would be necessary , these locations including Mt Vernon, Fells Point, Little Italy an Federal Hill are all easily walkable from the Inner Harbor

I concur with wanderingjew. I've been to Balto a zillion times, I park my car at my friend's place in Fells Point, and never get back in my car. We go to Fells Point, Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, Canton and Little Italy. My favorite's list is huge, but in
    Fells Point: Slainte Irish Pub  (Oysters on the half shell are a great way to start off the meal), and Red Star (steak salad is my go-to),

Federal Hill: Blue Agave - aside from the 100+ tequilas, they have excellent latin food. There's also a million neat small bars/pubs and delis - lots of cheap eats.

Little Italy: La Scala is my little italy haunt - you can even play bocce there. There are several good italian restautants in Little Italy. However, IMO, the prices are a tad high. My friends rave about Aldo's, Sotto Sopra (which has an ever changing menu), Sabatino's (sit upstairs for a quieter experience), and for dessert: Vaccaro's.

In Mt. Vernon: Tusk Lounge at The Brass Elephant (bar menu, plus the regular dining menu, casual atmosphere, but on the $ side -still, I like this place), and Tio Pepe (Spanish/Med.) has outstanding spanish foods, $$ - but Mount Vernon tends to be pricey places anyways.

Inner Harbor: Capitol City Brewing - this is a small corporate chain of brewhouses (2 in DC and 1 in Baltimore) - their food is very good pub/american food. their beers run hoppy, but I like them that way. I highly suggest getting the beer sampler - which is great if you get a salad, split an appetiser, and have an entree - then, you'll have some beer to pair with each course.   closed. (sorry, haven't been to inner harbor since before son was born - Next time you're in DC, go to original location adjacent to Union Station.)

There are also some good eats in Canton, which is a leisure walk from Fells Point. I'll send those if you want to go a little further than Fells Point.

post edited by Scorereader - 2009/07/29 15:42:22
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    Re:Inner Harbor Baltimore 2009/07/29 17:41:06 (permalink)
    I noticed the Restaurant Week list, and noted my favorite, Salt Tavern in Fells Point. http://www.salttavern.com/

The RW special menu is limited, but their food is phenomenal (albeit a little pricey).  Those duck fat fries really are worth it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1