Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Flagged as Spam (1)
2009/01/30 15:05:07 (permalink)

Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books

In Arkansas it's against the law to open an umbrella in front of a pig.

6 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/30 15:24:46 (permalink)
    In Tampa Bay it's illegal to eat cottage cheese on Sunday after 6p.        
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/30 17:14:42 (permalink)
    Sorry mods, posted this in the wrong forum moved to Misc, off topic
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2009/01/30 17:20:34
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/30 20:31:36 (permalink)
    Chewingthefat,
       I don't care whether you are male or female and/or married or single... I love you!
       Your thread title just made my day, and made my visit here much more worthwhile.
       Please feel appreciated, and keep thinking up new topics.
          Answeratively, Ort. in 30601-Land.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/30 20:43:08 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
       I've got two goodies for you. Here in Athens, Georgia it is illegal to hit (i. e. knock over; destroy) a hitching post. Some years ago, a drunken college student who should never have been driving had a minor wreck with another car at the corner of North Milledge Avenue and Hill Street. His car clipped off the irreplaceable-but-nowadays-rarely-used 1880's granite-block hitching post in front of the (still-standing) Cheney House, and the police officer dutifully added that charge to the plethora of others the poor guy was facing... after I mentioned it to the officer that we had studied this in a class, and the ordinance was still in force. I wonder what then-Judge Warnes did when he made it to that case... I'll have to ask him the next time I see him!
       It is also illegal in Athens/Clarke to carry an ice cream cone in one's pocket. This sounds absolutely idiotic, but there is a very good reason for it... in the early days of ice cream cones, vendors would place the ready-to-use cones in their questionably-sanitary pockets. One can suspect that the law does not apply to those who choose to tote a probably-rapidly-melting FILLED ice cream cone around in their pocket, but in addition to the mess that would result, any such person would probably be found only marginally competent to stand trial on the charge! (Gee, I'll have to try that this summer sometime!!)
       In Wauchula, Florida, it is illegal to insult the City Of Wauchula. This law was passed when an unscrupulous land vendor sold off nearby land and took the proceeds and ran, making the buyers cry "foul!" against a city that would allow such. Truth was, nobody knew anything about the guy except that he rented a post office box and it was the Postal Inspectors who finally caught up with him, but it did give poor little Wauchula a brief black eye back in the Florida boom days of the 1920's.
       It is also illegal for me to post anything here later then ten minutes of library closing, so I'll ring off for now.
          Flying High Like A Legal Eagle, Ort. "Flap Flap" Carlton in The Usual Aerie.
    post edited by Ort. Carlton. - 2009/01/30 20:44:55
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/31 11:31:19 (permalink)
    Ort. Carlton.

Chewingthefat,
       I don't care whether you are male or female and/or married or single... I love you!
       Your thread title just made my day, and made my visit here much more worthwhile.
       Please feel appreciated, and keep thinking up new topics.
          Answeratively, Ort. in 30601-Land.

Ort,
    that's very nice to know, I've always enjoyed all your posts, as I'm sure everyone else does. You, Micheal Hoffman, Porkbeaks, Fieldthistle, a league of your own!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Inspired by Ort...Stupid state laws still on the books 2009/01/31 14:02:36 (permalink)
    Hmm, was that link to stupid laws in the other thread?

It would be interesting to compare states, and see who has the most stupid laws. I know Texas would be in the running!

We need a national thing of some kind to say "hey state guys... that can't be a law" maybeee???
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1