Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly

Author
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 370
2009/10/29 18:54:36 (permalink)

Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly

I know these things never seem to pan out far from the area that specializes in the cuisine, but this place looks like it has some potential. It doesn't open until mid-November, but here is a video with the owners and chef that shows the brisket-fact-finding tour they took to Texas Hill Country. And these are people who have a positive track-record in the Philly restaurant scene; albeit not with barbecue:

http://www.percystreet.com/video.html

10 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4617
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/29 22:44:43 (permalink)
    that was pretty funny.
    Are those all investors?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/29 22:57:47 (permalink)
    Good luck to them!

No Sous Chef for BBQ. Assistant PitMistress!!

They all look a little hot in Texas. Like they are wondering if they will have AC in the kitchen!
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/30 00:21:15 (permalink)
    bill voss

that was pretty funny.
    Are those all investors?

The two men are investors. I'm not sure about the female chef. The one guy (Solomonov) is also a pretty well known chef in Philadelphia, but his current restaurant specializes in Middle Eastern food). The chef is coming from a restaurant where she had a fairly unique southern-influenced menu, but it wasn't barbecue.

doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/30 06:06:53 (permalink)

I do have to laugh at them putting a knife and fork to ribs. You can see that they are sampling a beef rib in this manner.  A important part of the 'rib' experience is gnawing on the bone.

===They all look a little hot in Texas. Like they are wondering if they will have AC in the kitchen! ===

We went through one hot record setting summer this year. Even the locals stayed inside if possible.

mark

Rate post Report Abuse #3
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/30 11:16:01 (permalink)
    I give them credit. I would be weeping in the walk-in about how Sushi is a much "cooler" idea.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5033
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/10/30 12:02:22 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Good luck to them!

No Sous Chef for BBQ. Assistant PitMistress!!

No "head chef", either!

I'm guessing that the guy who said that barbecue isn't super-serious food has never witnessed a major competition.

EDIT: Oops, I wasn't clear.  The serious part of barbecue is the prep and cooking, not the consumption!

Brad
    post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/10/30 12:54:41
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/11/12 00:30:26 (permalink)
    doggydaddy 
    You can see that they are sampling a beef rib in this manner. 
    Rate post Report Abuse #3

Did I hear someone say BEEF rib ?!?!
    I'm always excited to hear about a new BBQ joint, espescially one that may serve BEEF ribs!
    They are getting harder to find, as a few of my favorite places just took them off the menu...
    (like FAT JACKS BBQ in NJ.... www.fatjacks.net  boo hoo!!

phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/11/23 18:39:16 (permalink)
    This place opened last week and I tried it for the first time last night. The menu is also up on their website (www.percystreet.com). I know it's probably expensive compared to the places in Texas, but the restaurant is in a fairly high rent district and also doubles as a bar in an area with a lot of night life.
    First, Ellen will be disappointed to learn that the only ribs they serve are pork spare ribs.
    The meal wasn't perfect, but there is reason to be optimistic if, like me, you're dying for something even approaching a legitimate Texax-style barbecue place in town.
    The brisket had the pink smoke ring, which I've never actually seen at any Philadephia barbecue joint (or anywhere else, since I don't have much barbecue experience in other cities). The smoke flavor was nice. The main problem I had with the meat was that there was some inconsistency. We ordered lean brisket and burnt ends. The first burnt end I tried was very tough. But the next one couldn't have been softer and more full of flavor. I guess they need more practice with their smokers before they get it right consistently. And although the lean brisket had that nice smoke ring and flavor, it could have been a little more moist (I know ... I could have ordered moist brisket too, but I can only eat so much in one sitting).
    My two companions and I were all extremely happy with the sides and we liked one of the two desserts we ordered. I know the menu is also more varied than some of the famous places in Hill Country in terms of the sides and dessert selection (not to mention the full bar), but I don't think a restaurant that only serves a few types of meat, beans and cole slaw would make it in this area. They do serve your food on butcher paper, which they put over a metal tray, which is placed in your table when your order is ready (they have table, rather than counter service).

So while the results were somewhat mixed, I'm still excited about the prospect of going back in the coming weeks to see if they've worked out their consistency issue with the brisket. If they do, I'm sure I'll be a regular at this place.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2009/11/23 18:45:29
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/11/23 19:26:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report. Sounds acceptable. Curious...what were your sides and desserts?
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Interesting-looking New Texas-Style Barbecue Joint in Philly 2009/11/23 22:09:14 (permalink)
    We tried the majority of the sides: mashed potatoes, beans, cole slaw, green beans and collard greens. The beans had a lot of meat mixed in, although again, some of it was tough. But in general, that's the only complaint we had about the sides. They were excellent. The banana pudding was disappointing. It seemed like they just put some putting in a cup with vanilla wafers. There was no whipped cream or meringue mixed in. But the pecan pie was excellent. It had pecans all the way through.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1