Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon

Author
Carolkelly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/07/25 17:25:09 (permalink)

Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon

We are planning a trip mid September. Any suggestions?

4 Replies Related Threads

Amecameca
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon 2003/08/25 14:13:01 (permalink)
    Hey Carolkelly, you didn't say how far north you would be coming into Oregon. If you get as far as Rice Hill (between Roseburg and Eugene) a traditional stop for Oregonians is the K-R Drive-In. Take the Rice Hill exit from I-5. It's on the west side of the interstate (there is a truck stop and motels and other restaurants on the east side). The K-R has been there for about 35 years, I believe. It has a very classic drive-in sign that you can see from the freeway. It says Drive-In, but the "K-R" part isn't very visible, so many folks don't even know it has a name. Lot's of people just call it "Rice Hill" but it's really the K-R. The main attraction is the fresh Umpqua Ice Cream made just down the road at Roseburg. You can get it made into great shakes, etc. The burgers and fries and other stuff are good too, but if it's not mealtime, most folks just exit the freeway for ice cream. You usually have to wait in line, but it's worth it! This is a classic place, from the sign to the building to the food. I hope it never changes.
    vinelady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon 2003/08/25 14:46:34 (permalink)
    I recommend the Black Ram Pub in Ashland (right on the main drag). They make evenything there and the scones are too die for.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    RE: Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon 2003/08/25 14:54:37 (permalink)
    On some other thread ages ago I remember this question....but can't find it on a search.
    We always looked forward to reaching Corning CA as we headed up or down the '5'. 2 major truck stops at the interchange and miles of olive and nut groves with farmstands on the 99 gave us unlimited roadfood and snacks that would last for a day either direction.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Interstate 5 from San Francisco to Oregon 2003/08/25 19:54:34 (permalink)
    Granzellas in Williams great sandwiches--but they alao hace a full menu and lots of great beers and ales.
    Also in Williams---Louis Cairo's---of main drag with big signs---good Italian and steaks---Killer garlic bread---ask for extra--if you dare--but you better love garlic--and whoever you sleep next to!
    there is also a little 50's type burger and hotdog stand right in the same area on the main drag before both of these---all pretty good all with easy access on and off 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1