Iodized or Kosher salt for brine?

Author
sardy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2003/10/14 22:19:12 (permalink)

Iodized or Kosher salt for brine?

Hi there-- The new (used) smoker is coming alng fine--I'm having a great time breaking it in and learning how to smoke. Tomorrow I'm going to try smoking a few trout. Any tips?

I have a few questions on brine (for the trout). How much salt, and what type to use/not use? Kosher? Sea salt? Table salt? And how much?

Otherwise, the brine I intend to use for the trout will be:

--4 cups water
--1 cup cider vinegar
--some garlic
--red pepper
--1/2 brown sugar

Any suggestions? How long should the trout (scaled, gutted and butterflied--skin still on) sit in the brine? How long should I smoke 'em?

FYI--It's an electric water smoker.

Thanks!!!

--SArdy

5 Replies Related Threads

pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Iodized or Kosher salt for brine? 2003/10/14 23:02:12 (permalink)
    Sorry ... Fine Pickling Salt (NO Iodine)
    But the Acid in the vinegar will Cook the flesh
    before you get to the smoker, So I woulf omit that ingredient.
    Check Alton Brown's Recipe for Smoked Salmon, use it as your Guideline

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_19322,00.html

Enjoy
    sardy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Iodized or Kosher salt for brine? 2003/10/14 23:12:05 (permalink)
    I have been looking EVERYWHERE for pickling salt--to no avail. I will locate and order some online, but tomorrow I'm afraid it'll have to be Kosher (since it's not iodized).

I will definitely omit the vinegar from the brine--I was wondering about that...

I'll check out the smoked salmon recipe now, thanks!
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Iodized or Kosher salt for brine? 2003/10/14 23:30:30 (permalink)
    Sardy..

To make a brine, you neeed salt. I didn't see any listed in your recipe, but you did ask about it. Here is a very basic brine recipe for fish.....

1 quart Water
    1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
    1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

There is a big difference between all the various salts. Because of the size of the crystals, you should weigh them instead of measuring them. Here is a recap offered up over at the Virtual Weber Bullet site.....

Table salt and kosher salt do not have the same saltiness in a flavor brine when measured by volume--but they do when measured by weight.

Table salt weighs about 10 ounces per cup, while kosher salt weighs 5-8 ounces per cup, depending on the brand. If using kosher salt in a brine, you must use more than a cup to achieve the same salt flavor you would get from a cup of table salt.

The chart below shows equivalent amounts of table salt and the two most popular brands of kosher salt.

Ordinary Table Salt 1 cup
    Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt 2 cups
    Morton Kosher Salt 1-1/2 cups

Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs about 5 ounces per cup, making it half as strong as table salt. Morton Kosher Salt weighs about 7.7 ounces per cup, making it three-fourths as strong as table salt.

For sea salts and other brands of kosher salt, use a kitchen scale to measure 10 ounces of salt. That measure will be equivalent to 1 cup of table salt in terms of its saltiness.

Once you make the brine, soak your fish for 60-90 minutes MAX!!! Any longer and it will be a large salt block. After brining, rinse thoroughly. Once rinsed, you need to let the fish dry until the pellicle forms.....this will take about an hour OR use a fan to quicken the time. Once the pellicle is formed, then you can smoke the fish. It should take about 3-4 hours at temps of 240-250º. Keep in mind....the cooking time will be affected most by the thickness of the fish!

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Stogie
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Iodized or Kosher salt for brine? 2003/10/15 00:46:40 (permalink)
    Stogie, you remind me of the statement the late, lamented Brother Dave Gardner made concerning Cassius in his production ofHey, Julie Baby: Being a Tale concerning ye Gutting-Like-a-Perch of Imperator Julius Caesar: "Behold yon Cassius. He hath a lean and hongry look about him. Such men are dangerous. They thinketh too much."

And yet, O Smokable One, ceaseth not in thy elucidations!
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Iodized or Kosher salt for brine? 2003/10/15 08:46:29 (permalink)
    Yup you need to use Kosher Salt......Morton's is one common brand of it, and it comes in a big navy blue box. Check in groceries with ethnic food sections that include Jewish. I know it's in almost every chain store around these parts. In fact, it's primarily the salt I use , period.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1