Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade

Author
Trying to Cook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/24 09:54:05 (permalink)

Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade

Help! I have just marinaded my first pork shoulder overnight to be smoked today and (also just) realized I used IODIZED SALT! Should I even bother to cook it. What will be the effect of using the wrong salt? Now you know why I'm "Trying to Cook"!

21 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 09:59:29 (permalink)
    Are U kidding? Iodized or non-iodized; makes no difference...
    Trying to Cook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 10:05:07 (permalink)
    Many thanks! I've been worried all a.m. Will let you know how it comes out.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 10:05:23 (permalink)
    Yeah, cook it.

Although, I am graduating to un-iodized salt at home. I figure I get plenty of iodized salt in my travels. Compared to the standard-issue Morton's, plain ol' salt really does taste a lot better.

Meanwhile, a lot of people will argue that salt has no place in a meat marinade as it tends to dry out whatever it is on. Your sholder will come out awesome no matter what.
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 13:00:38 (permalink)
    Won't make any difference.

Technically it became a brine and not a marinade when you added salt, then I watch too much of Alton Brown.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 13:30:46 (permalink)
    Rachael has her evoo, emeril has his porkfat and BAM, mr brown has his salt... I don't taste much difference in table salt with or w/o iodine or even sea salt perhaps the habanaro salsa has burned out my taste buds...
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 14:02:37 (permalink)
    There are salt purists who won't touch anything but sea salt or Kosher salt, but that's a matter of taste preference, not that any of them will hurt you. These days, for brining or marinating most "experts" probably use Kosher salt but it isn't obligatory. As you probably know, iodine was originally put in salt in an era when most people ate only local food products and people living in the heartland, far from the sea, had a deficiency of iodine in their diet resulting in a high incidence of goiter (thyroid enlargement). These days, when people in Kansas get a diet that's as varied as people living in New York, you can buy and use whatever kind of salt you like.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 14:45:28 (permalink)
    Thanks, BT, for pointing out just WHY salt has been iodized. I use sea salts mostly, but try to balance that by using iodized salt to boil pasta and such. Of course, except for 6 weeks in the summer, I live 4 miles from the Pacific, as BT lives 5 miles from it in the dry season. We're set for our iodine, aren't we, BT?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 15:00:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Thanks, BT, for pointing out just WHY salt has been iodized. I use sea salts mostly, but try to balance that by using iodized salt to boil pasta and such. Of course, except for 6 weeks in the summer, I live 4 miles from the Pacific, as BT lives 5 miles from it in the dry season. We're set for our iodine, aren't we, BT?

Yes, and as a result I mostly use sea salt from Trader Joe's except that, because I have high blood pressure and should limit salt intake, I use salt substitute (POTASSIUM chloride) for "boiling pasta and such". But I'm not a big salt user. The one thing I salt at the table is French Fries. Otherwise it's mostly used in cooking.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 22:47:50 (permalink)
    I used potassium chloride when I was on Jenny Craig in 1993. I just hate its bitter taste. You're a better man than I if you can eat it that way, BT!
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/24 23:55:27 (permalink)
    I don't notice the bitterness in pasta water. I use real salt on my French Fries and other places where I can taste it.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 00:40:14 (permalink)
    As far as taste, I can't tell the difference between iodized and uniodized salt.

Not knowing whether or not a restaurant used iodized or un-iodized salt made for very unhappy eating for me a few months ago.  

I couldn't have any form of iodine in any shape or form.

Restaurants were out as were any prepared foods with salt listed as an ingredient... unless it said Kosher Salt.

It's a major issue in some nuclear medical tests.

It should be up to the individual if they want the added iodine.

That's the only reason I can see where it would make a difference.

post edited by mar52 - 2011/07/30 12:45:23
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 01:12:46 (permalink)
    The other major issue is the anti-caking stuff they put in regular table salt (and a few others) to keep it free-flowing. This is what turns the water cloudy when you throw it in the pasta water. Some folks say it adds a bitterness and go with untreated kosher or sea salt, some folks say it's nonsense. It does become a consideration in pickling, and that's why there is pickling salt, with no additives.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Salt.html#pickling%20salt
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 04:25:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mar52

As far as taste, I can't tell the difference between iodized and uniodized salt.

Not knowing weather or not a restaurant uses iodized or un-iodized salt made for very unhappy eating for me a few months ago.

I couldn't have any form of iodine in any shape or form.

Restaurants were out as were any prepared foods with salt listed as an ingredient... unless it said Kosher Salt.

It's a major issue in some nuclear medical tests.

It should be up to the individual if they want the added iodine.

That's the only reason I can see where it would make a difference.

It is up to the individual. Both iodized and non-iodized are sold in every supermarket I know of. As far as restaurants go, they could carry both but it would cost them more and you'll have some effort convincing them of the need. But they certainly should be able to tell you which they have on their tables (and if you have to have non-iodized and your restaurant doesn't use it, bring some with you when you eat out--I've sometimes brought my own Splenda). And the good news for those preferring non-iodized is that more and more better restaurants are using sea salt or other "gourmet" salts that are not exogenously iodized (they can contain some natural iodine).
    Raine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 08:22:29 (permalink)
    Can I ask why we are marinating a shoulder?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 17:07:39 (permalink)
    Speaking of salt, I attended a lecture by Dr. Ken Cooper (eminent heart MD and MD of the astronauts) many moons ago. He said that most Americans get so much sodium in their diets from processed foods that the amount of extra salt needed you can get from ONE PICKLE A YEAR! I stopped using salt as a seasoning from that point and lo, and behold, after a few weeks, food started to taste like food again.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 17:12:17 (permalink)
    I'm a sea salt freak for at the table use. I buy iodonized only because of the humidity here, I'd cook with either. I do like to spray my baked potatoes(unfoiled)after they are done with a butter spray and sprinkle with a kosher. I do need to cut back on salt most definitely, thankfully my BP has not been affected...YET!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2005/07/25 23:36:07 (permalink)
    BT, it wasn't what was on the table that was a concern to me, but what was used in cooking.

That's where the concern was.

Any trace amounts of iodine would have skewed my test results.

If I could have been 100% absolutely sure that only un-iodized salt was being used in the cooking I could have eaten out everynight and been quite happy!

Kosher salt followed me everywhere as it was the only seasoning I could use on the blah foods I was able to eat.

sbrocccolo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2011/07/30 00:31:25 (permalink)
    Just ask the manager. I was a Restaurant manager for many years. I worked in Fast Food, Diners, and buffets. It never bothered me if a customer asked a health or allergy related question. I was, and most managers I know, are only too happy to health. Even if I had to go and look at the packaging to give a definitive answer. After all, the last thing we want to do is make a customer sick. Now, my answer might be "I am sorry but the 'seasoned fries' are pre-salted and I could not tell from the package the type of salt used. So, may I suggest an unsalted baked potato instead?" or "If your seafood allergy is severe then I suggest that you avoid all of our deep fried foods, while I can guarantee there was no cross contamination of the raw product, and there are separate fryers, the fryers are adjacent to each other and I cannot guarantee that no oil splashed from one fryer to the other." I was always happy to, if possible, to make a serving of the food minus the offending allergen.  I used the word allergen there, but I include health restrictions and religious dietary restriction. A good manager knows that making reasonable accommodations to keep a customer happy, will most likely mean keeping that customer. 
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2011/07/30 08:17:05 (permalink)
    Barbecue authority Paul Kirk recommends using non-iodized salt, because iodized salt has a harsh taste and can leave spots or streaks on the meat.  I've been using only natural, untreated, unbleached sea salt for 15 years because of the superior taste.
    post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/30 14:01:46
    mar52
    Sirloin
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2011/07/30 12:46:34 (permalink)
    Is it strange that I had to correct a post I made 6 years ago?

Weather/whether

MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Iodized vs. non-iodized salt in marinade 2011/07/30 13:01:31 (permalink)
    Hey, don't feel alone.  I've edited similarly old posts before for one reason or another.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1