Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1028
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/09/12 22:51:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieS

quote:
Originally posted by NeedaTenderloin

NE1 know where I can get a Pork Tenderloin sandwich in Northern California? I am from the midwest and haven't had one in years.

In Northern California, I think you'll have to make your own, which I do. It's not hard.

Get a package of thick boneless loin chops. Trim the fat & silverskin (I use scissors to make it fast & easy). Pound out to about 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt & pepper. Dab with water (or other wash: milk, milk & egg, water & egg). Then dredge in cracker meal--Nabisco sells this in a box, or use a food processor or blender to grind up soda crackers. Deep fry until golden brown.

Serve on a bun with condiments of your choosing. At the A&W where I worked in high school in a small town in Iowa, "everything" was ketchup, mustard, onion, & dill pickle.

Mmmm!

Call it a pork tenderloin sandwich or a pork schnitzel sandwich, it's good eating.

CharlieS

"ketchup, mustard, onion, & dill pickle." WHAT?? Lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise.
Porker93
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/09/23 22:42:15 (permalink)
Joensy's it was! (Center Point location.)
Man was it delicious, ...
Wish I could copy that at home, but it's just not the same, ...
Thanks for the replies & info!
simplysallys
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/06 16:41:04 (permalink)
We live in Des Moines and are going to Leon to buy a tractor on Saturday... does anywone know of any wonderful tenderloins between Leon and Des Moines? I read about a stop in Albia, but that looks to be another hour from Leon?
Any ideas???
I'm starving after reading all this talk of tenderloins!
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 520
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/06 17:36:00 (permalink)
Simplysallys:

What kind of tractor are you buying, I have a 2002 New HollandTN805 Diesel w/ cab, air, heat, CD player, computer wired, 2 remotes, 8 sp transmissionw/shuttle, 540PTO, Category II, 3 Pt hitch - 2403 operating hours, that I am looking to part with. Just bought a 2005, similarily equipped, a few more bells and whistles, about 25% better fuel economy (I hope).

Only problem is you would have to come to Nevada to buy it, oh by the way, you would have to bring a sack of the tenderloin sandwiches you all are talking about. I have never had one. The sandwiches are a must, otherwise the deal is off.

Good luck on your shopping spree.
simplysallys
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/06 22:37:20 (permalink)
I think your tractor is a bit more than we need! Nevada, as in the state????? Good grief! hahahahaa....... I guess it's a no deal then! There is a Nevada just a few miles down the road, but it's a small town....
We only need a small tractor for mowing our 5 acres of hip high prairie! Gonna build next year and need to knock that mess down.
Still looking for a tenderloin in the Leon area... You'll need to come visit Iowa for this wonderful sandwich! Can't believe it's limited to just a few states.Thanks for the reply.....
Sally
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/12 17:16:59 (permalink)
CCJPO, I am avoiding taking our original CDs in the car, because many of them are irreplaceable. Perhaps yours are irreplaceable, too. May I respectfully suggest either an iPod or even using a music program in your computer? I just don't want anyone to lose music. Isn't it one of the things that makes life worth living?

Did you find that great sandwich, simplysallys?
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/13 08:19:01 (permalink)
from today's Chicago Tribune:

Love me, tenderloin
It's Iowa's version of a delicacy: the breaded pork tenderloin. Three Hawkeye State transplants tell you why it is a sandwich like no other--and where to find it here.

Mike Conklin, Jon Yates and Reid Hanley
Tribune staff reporters
Published October 13, 2005

SOME PEOPLE--MAYBE EVEN GERTRUDE STEIN, WERE she still with us--will tell you that a breaded pork tenderloin is a breaded pork tenderloin is a breaded pork tenderloin.

They are not from Iowa.

A breaded pork tenderloin--done up as a sandwich--is the epitome of a classic Iowa dish.

How do we know this? When the subject came up the other day and we mentioned a few favorite BPTs we'd enjoyed--a schnitzel here, a milanesa there, a tonkatsu one supper several years ago--a trio of former Iowans (OK, so maybe you're never a former Iowan) complained loudly.

And they complained that it's tough to find a truly authentic Iowa-style breaded pork tenderloin sandwich without crossing the Mississippi River.

That was all that At Play needed to hear. So what did we do? We asked that trio of Tribune reporters--Mike Conklin, Jon Yates and Reid Hanley--to find a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich that fulfilled their Iowa dreams.

Here's their slightly edited, grease-stained report.

MIKE: Does it seem like breaded pork tenderloins are a bigger delicacy in Iowa than elsewhere, or is that my imagination?

JON: Sadly, I think you're right. When I was growing up, tenderloin sandwiches practically fell off every passing pig. And there were plenty of pigs in Iowa. Here, you have to send a search team just to find a decent tenderloin. I think there are simply more pigs in Iowa. But I could be wrong.

REID: I am no world traveler, but Iowa seems to be the ONLY place where you can get a breaded, fried pork tenderloin. I remember as a high school senior taking a trip to Wisconsin and ordering a tenderloin sandwich only to find it was a steak sandwich! How disappointing. I remember someone saying there was a law against serving a pork tenderloin in Wis-consin. They have obviously seen the error of their ways now with Culver's--which aren't exactly Iowa quality but are still tasty.

Maybe it's a nostalgic thing, but a pork tenderloin is still my No. 1 choice for a sandwich. Burgers are always good and so is Italian beef or sausage. But they aren't tenderloins.

MIKE: When I've found them in Chicago, a lot of them seemed to be like they came from a cookie-cutter. Too round. I don't remember them ever being perfectly round. Sometimes there might even be a little sliver that was kind of an extension, like a peninsula off the mainland.

So, what make a perfect Iowa pork tenderloin?

JON: For me, the perfect tenderloin is roughly twice the circumference of the bun. Or larger. If you're full before you even hit the bun, that's good. The tenderloin should be thin and crispy, and pounded into a shape that's round-like, but not perfectly round. Perfectly round suggests manufacturing. Tenderloins should not be manufactured.

REID: I'm a flavor guy. I love the taste. It should be bigger than the bun--which should be toasted--but not so big that you can't eat and drive at the same time. (I'm sure that's a flashback to the Lisbon [Iowa] A&W.) There should be a hint of seasoning--just salt and pepper. I have mine with just ketchup. Don't really like much elsemore stuff would kill the taste.

MIKE: Ketchup and dill pickles, no more, no less. I can live without the pickles, but ketchup is a necessity. Back in the old days, when my stomach was stronger and it took a hand grenade under my bed to wake me up, I liked a little raw onion, too.

JON: No true pork tenderloin has grilled onions. They have to be raw. I went to Culver's and, though the tenderloin itself is better than I expected (though barely larger than the bun), it came with grilled onions. I should have sent it back.

REID: My theory on how to eat them is to eat around, moving towards the bun. Once you get to the bun, you also get to the condiments! Splitting the giant tenderloin is not a bad idea, especially if you get it to go. And ask for an extra bun. It's like getting two for one.

MIKE: I worked one summer at that A&W in Lisbon. One of my jobs was to take this meat cleaver and pound those tenderloins until they looked like crepes. I don't think you can discount the breading. That was the best part, to me. I can remember it being thicker than the meat.

JON: TOO LARGE??!?!? Never. No such thing. I see your point about them being toooooo thin. I don't want to eat just breading either. But fried breading is never a bad thing.

And Joensys in Solon, Iowa, to me is Mecca for the tenderloin enthusiast.

MIKE: Joensys owner Biran Joens says he sells about 600 breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches a week. He attributes their popularity to the fact Iowans prefer plain, simple food and stick with something they like. Forever. It also helps that the University of Iowa is only a few miles away and the sandwiches have become a novelty of sorts for students.

REID: Finding a tenderloin in the Chicago area means two things: Culver's and blind luck. Tenderloins are so rare around here you have to stumble on them. There are so many hot dogs, burgers, Italian beef and sausage and chicken sandwiches there doesn't seem like there is room on the menu for them. Pity.

MIKE: One thing I've noticed about breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches here: It seemed like the farther I got from the Loop, the sandwiches got better. Maybe it's because you get closer to Iowa. The best sandwiches seemed to be off the beaten path.

I also noticed that the restaurants don't seem too anxious to say they're breaded. I found a perfectly fine sandwich at the Silo in Lake Bluff, but you had to read the menu's fine print to learn it was breaded. Who wants a tenderloin without the breading?

REID: Breading is a key. Not too much, though. My tenderloin at the Machine Shed in Rockford seemed to be battered. It was tasty, however. Wish I could find one in DuPage County

MIKE: Actually, some of those breaded pork tenderloins we used to sell at that A&W had more breading than pork, kind of like a shell that encased the meat.

JON: I still say the best tenderloin I ever had was at the deli in the Hy Vee grocery store where I worked. I spent six years as a stockboy/bagger/checker/produce guy and ate almost nightly at the deli. They kept their tenderloins behind a glass counter, and I could choose which one I wanted them to cook. I always chose the largest one. It was big and thick and juicy--yes, actually juicy (though I suspect the juice might have been at least partially made up of grease). I had it with lettuce, tomato, onion and mayonnaise. Damn good. I can still taste it. It was worth however many years all those tenderloins took off my life.

REID: I think the appeal, the passion is a regional pride thing that brings you back to your childhood. I can't imagine an Iowa kid who hasn't eaten a tenderloin at the local drive-in or tavern.

MIKE: Hey, when I eat a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, it's not just food. It's a memory. I can't help but think of the old drive-in restaurant--with car hops--where I worked and ate. Every drive-in in every town seemed to advertise "Iowa's largest tenderloin," but I just knew we had the biggest. It was a matter of local pride in our tiny community, and who cared how they tasted? Just pile on the pickles and ketchup. Size mattered.

JON: Non-Iowans often don't understand the appeal of tenderloins because they've probably never had a truly good one. And they certainly haven't grown up in a tenderloin culture. We Iowans love our pigs, and we love our small-town diners. The tenderloin is the quintessential intersection of the two. It's a point of pride which diner sells the largest tenderloin. Why? Because Iowans don't go for ritzy, expensive entrees where the plate is huge and the food tiny. We like things the other way around. We fail to see why anyone wouldn't. Flavor? Who needs it. Not that tenderloins don't taste good. They do. The breading has to be just right, and the pork itself should be thick enough to be juicy. But we don't need our food all gussied up. Anything on a bun will do. If it's pork, all the better.

- - -

A few bites of pork

So how did the Iowa boys fare in their search? Here's a rundown of the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches they consumed and a rating.

Oink rating: 1 oink, "Order the burger"; 2 oinks, "I was hungry"; 3 oinks, "OK . . . for Illinois"; 4 oinks, "Gosh, almost makes me forget the hills of Dubuque"; 5 oinks, "Closest thing to (Iowa) heaven."

The Silo

625 Rockland Rd., Lake Bluff 847-234-6660

The goods: This place is known for its pizza, but, of all the places I visited in the Chicago area, it comes closest to those serving an Iowa-style breaded pork tenderloin, the kind I recall eating in the Hawkeye state. The meat had more than enough "bun overlap" and--just as important to me--the breading was nice and crunchy. The fries that came with it were fine, but who could finish them after eating all of this sandwich?

Price: $7.95

Rating: 5 oinks

-- Mike Conklin

The Igloo

2819 4th St., Peru 815-223-0848

The goods: Sure, there are other things on the menu, but the Igloo makes it quite clear the tenderloin rules in this small-town diner. It's the first thing listed on the menu--and it's darn good. It's not the biggest tenderloin around, but it's large enough to peek out from beneath the bun, with a crispy breading that provides the right amount of crunch. Served with your choice of condiments (raw onions of course), it's about as close to Iowa as you can get so close to Chicago. And for those of you who think the sandwich is too small, never fear: The Igloo also offers a version with two tenderloins.

Price: $3.05 for a single; $5.35 for a double.

Rating: 4 oinks

-- Jon Yates

Kelley's Restaurant

5420 S. U.S. Highway 14, Harvard 815-943-7558

The goods: Here's a real old-fashioned, small-town restaurant, where townsfolk gather to talk as much as eat. The breaded pork tenderloin I ate was helped by this atmosphere. At least the meat was thick and tasty, but the breading was a little too thin for my taste. The cook made up for this by doing a nice job toasting the bun, which provided extra crunch. My biggest concern: Why was Kelley's offering listed under "specialty sandwiches" instead of "traditional sandwiches"? What's more traditional than breaded pork tenderloin?

Price: $4.95; $5.95 (deluxe with salad)

Rating: 4 oinks

-- M.C.

Blackberry Inn

Illinois Hwy. 47 and Main Street, Elburn 630-365-2200

The goods: This was a pleasant surprise. I had driven past this spot a number of times and didn't have a clue they had a tenderloin. Mine was pretty tasty with a nice breading. It was big, and the bun was pretty much dwarfed. There was an extra piece that I ate sans bun. This was a real tenderloin, not some formed patty. It was a little overcooked, but there was still some juiciness to it. It was pretty close to what I was hoping for, considering which side of the Mississippi I was on. I wouldn't hesitate to stop again.

Price: $5.95 (with fries and side)

Rating: 3 1/2 oinks

-- Reid Hanley

Culver's

Locations around Chicagoland

The goods: Culver's doesn't exactly promote its pork tenderloin sandwich. All the love goes to ButterBurgers and frozen custard. But for tenderloin lovers, the fast-food restaurant provides a quick fix--and a surprisingly good facsimile of the Iowa original. Juicy with a light, flaky breading, Culver's version is flavorful but not overpowering. The sandwich is a bit too round--clearly it was not hand-pounded. It's also a tad small. But it is difficult to beat the convenience (Culver's restaurants seem to be sprouting up everywhere), and for fast food, you could do a heck of a lot worse.

Price: $3.89 for the sandwich, $6.09 for a basket (with drink and fries).

Rating: 3 oinks

-- J.Y.

Machine Shed Restaurant

7475 E. State St., Rockford 815-229-3276

The goods: The Machine Shed restaurants in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin have a pork tenderloin sandwich highlighting their lunch menus. "Our most popular sandwich. Not your ordinary pork T!" Well, there is no such thing as "ordinary" when it comes to pork tenderloin. This one is battered not breaded, which is a bit curious since the Machine Shed chain started in Davenport in 1978. It was big and juicy, and the batter factor was an interesting twist.Nice oversized bun but the meat overflowed, just like you want. The platter is a buck more, but you get fries and either a cup of soup or a side of coleslaw and cottage cheese. A lot of food.

Price: $5.99 for the sandwich; $6.99 for the platter.

Rating: 3 oinks

-- R.H.

Petros

160 N. LaSalle St. 312-357-2700

The goods: If you're looking for an Iowa-style breaded pork tenderloin in a convenient Loop location, you're going to have a problem with this otherwise fine restaurant. There were two breaded pork tenderloin offerings on the menu. But after thinking I had it straight with the waitress, I was brought two layers of breaded pork in an open-faced sandwich--smothered in mashed potatoes and gravy. My veins started clogging just looking at it. Tasty, but even I couldn't finish it. I'll go back some other day for the other sandwich on the menu.

Price: $8.95 (includes soup or salad)

Rating: 2 oinks

-- M.C.

- - -

Our tenderloin team

Mike Conklin, Tempo reporter, spent a summer making "Iowa's largest" breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches in his hometown at the A&W drive-in in Lisbon. He preferred eating them.

Reid Hanley, sports reporter, though born in Chicago, calls Mt. Vernon, Iowa, his hometown. He has been eating pork tenderloins for decades.

Jon Yates, a general assignment reporter, was born in Ames, Iowa, home to the Iowa Pork Industry Center, the Pork Profit Network, and all manner of swine.
simplysallys
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/13 14:57:54 (permalink)
Hi Michaelgemmell.
No, didn't find much worth eating near Leon....... Even asked a few locals and they didn't know of anything other than dairy queen and Caseys. We opted for the HyVee. Here in Des Moines, the tenderloins are big and meaty at our HyVees, They're cut and breaded on the spot... but the one we ate was round and pressed and fresh from a box in the freezer. Nuts. Anyway, I read this site today and you've all planted that need in me to find a good tenderloin, soon.
Wish there was something close, here in Des Moines, I don't like Porky's and George the Chili King is fair... I understand Smitty's on the south side is or used to be good. We do have culvers and machine shed. Tomorrow, I will take my son and go to one of the above. What I really want is in Solon... but I'll save that for a roadtrip. Last year we ate at Hamlin and found it to be a nice sandwich... more of a battered coating rather than the crunchy coating that is so prolific at most places. The size was a disappointment. We ordered one to split, since we expected a large sandwich and we were sad to see the sandwich was about the size of a burger, with no overhang! awwwww. Our party ordered 4 sandwiches and they were all this size. Quality was excellent. Quantity was not so great.
I'm rambling...
If anyone can recommend something close to Des Moines, we'll surely check it out!
Sally
Jim Ross
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/13 15:30:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by simplysallys

.....If anyone can recommend something close to Des Moines, we'll surely check it out!
Sally

In a 2004 article, Des Moines Register readers recommended these places for pork tenderloin sandwiches:

Smitty's Tenderloin Shop, 1401 Army Post Road,Des Moines
Michael's Restaurant and Lounge, 4041 Urbandale Ave.,Des Moines
George the Chili King, 5722 Hickman Road,,Des Moines
Shack's Lounge, Bayard
CJ's, Aspinwall
Community Tavern, Fort Dodge
Coon River Bar & Grill, Van Meter
Crouse's Cafe, Indianola
Dairy Sweet, Dunlap
Darrell's Place, Hamlin
Horseshoe Lanes grill, Adel
Jewel's Food & Spirits, Troy Mills
Jo's Bar and Grill, Searsboro
Joensy's, Center Point
McNamara Cafe, Prairieburg
MC Cafe, Martinsburg
Michael's, Beaverdale
Niland's Cafe, Colo
Peru Tap, Peru
Pork and More, Albion
Red Barn, Exira
Red Rooster, Iowa Falls
St. Olaf Tavern, St. Olaf (northeast Iowa)
S&J Roadside Bar & Grill, Floris
Smitty's, Albia
Suburban Restaurant, Gilbert
Tojo's, Jamaica(west of Perry)

I can't vouch for any of them besides the Joensy's in Center Point, but someone liked these places enough to write the Register reporter about them. Evidently they were a response to an article about the Iowa Pork Producers organization naming Darrell's in Hamlin the best tenderloin in the state.
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2005/10/18 09:34:10 (permalink)
Here is a link to today's article in the Des Moines Register about the newest winner.

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051018/LIFE/510180364

Cindy
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/04/30 10:15:31 (permalink)
I had a tenderloin at George's on Saturday. I liked the thickness of the meat (guesstimated at 1/4" to 3/8") and bun overhang (1/2" to 3/4" all around), it wasn't overbreaded, and it was hot and juicy. Mustard was the only condiment I chose.

I'm no tenderloin expert but I liked this one and would order it again.

Brad
DanM9001
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/03 20:04:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Porker93

Does anyone know the name of the town & the cafe north of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (I'd guess maybe about 15-20+ miles north just off Hiway I-380.)?
I had visited the area a year ago or so, & the people I was with took for me a drive north of town a few miles on the freeway, & made a right/east back into this small town.
At this small town cafe, they were well-known for their Pork Tenderloin sandwiches. They were excellent & huge, ...
Now I can't find any information about either, & I'm planning on going back that way next week & would like to find this place again to share it with some other family traveling with me.

Anyone know the details?!?
DanM9001
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/03 20:05:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Porker93

Does anyone know the name of the town & the cafe north of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, (I'd guess maybe about 15-20+ miles north just off Hiway I-380.)?
I had visited the area a year ago or so, & the people I was with took for me a drive north of town a few miles on the freeway, & made a right/east back into this small town.
At this small town cafe, they were well-known for their Pork Tenderloin sandwiches. They were excellent & huge, ...
Now I can't find any information about either, & I'm planning on going back that way next week & would like to find this place again to share it with some other family traveling with me.

Anyone know the details?!?
DanM9001
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/03 20:08:56 (permalink)
You may be thinking of a town called Solon which is North of Iowa City (which would make it about 10 miles southeast of Cedar Rapids. There is a restaurant (a bar and grill) called "Jonesies" that is famous for its tenderloins. They aren't bad....I've had better, but they are BIG and also thick. If you're in the area, I would recommend stopping by. They are closed on Sundays.
sigerson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/04 00:17:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DanM9001

You may be thinking of a town called Solon which is North of Iowa City (which would make it about 10 miles southeast of Cedar Rapids. There is a restaurant (a bar and grill) called "Jonesies" that is famous for its tenderloins. They aren't bad....I've had better, but they are BIG and also thick. If you're in the area, I would recommend stopping by. They are closed on Sundays.
sigerson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/04 00:21:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DanM9001

Sorry for the double post. I'm just getting used to this place.

Jonsey's isn't an option right now. The county department of public health shut it down because of a roach problem. Here's the full article from today's Iowa City Press-Citizen: http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbc...
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6326
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2007/10/04 09:08:16 (permalink)
That link did not work for me but I found the article. Try this one. It is spelled Joensy's. BTW, it is not the biggest nor the best in Iowa. I've had just three Iowa tenderloins so far including Joensy's and the St. Olaf Tap is larger, thicker and better, and the Townhouse Supper Club in Wellsburg was much, much better. I think this is another tenderloin restaurant that has a reputation that exceeds its delivery and promise. It would not make my top 20 on porktenderloinsandwich.com.

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007710030317
barttman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/22 20:52:31 (permalink)
Living in the Midwest, I consider myself a connoisseur of the breaded pork tenderloin. Someone mentioned the areas between I70 and I80 from Indiana to Nebraska...outside of which a tenderloin will be tough to find. I agree. Even around Chicago, it can be difficult.

I found many places in Indiana to offer a consistently great tenderloin. Iowa as well. The poster that mentioned Illinois having the "largest" is on the money. They may not be the best tasting, but they are huge. Central Illinois especially, where everyplace tries to outdo the other. Schooners (Peoria, Morton, and Bloomington) is the largest that I have eaten (comes with 4 buns). It is 1 foot diameter. There is a little place called The Warehouse, in Hanna City, which offers the thickest and best tasting that I have had. Frankly, I think they are using the pork loin instead of the tenderloin...it is so thick.

All in all, I don't recall ever having a bad one. Culver's has the best for a fast food joint.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6326
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/22 21:47:53 (permalink)
barttman,

Welcome to Roadfood.com. Just about all the pork tenderloin sandwiches are really pork loin sandwiches. I find few actually use the tenderloin. Thanks for the tips about Illinois. Most know Iowa and Indiana and Illinois gets a bit lost.

BTW, the complete repository on the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=423
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/23 12:14:15 (permalink)
Why can I not find this Pork tenderloin sandwich anywhere in the NE. I think I would love this sandwich. If anybody knows where I might get on in NJ,NJ,PA,please let me know. Does anybody have a picture of what it looks like. Why is it soooo good?
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/23 13:22:21 (permalink)
mikez, check out the link that Davydd posted above. There are 29 pages of BPT information there. If you check out the last 3 or so pages, there are many good photos posted by Davydd as he searches out BPT in the Midwest.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/23 21:00:36 (permalink)
Yes but make sure you have throw pillows nearby, because the pictures alone will give you the *vay-pahs*.
lam61157
Junior Burger
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/01/25 13:00:38 (permalink)
I being from the midwest consider myself a tenderloin freak . I buy them & bring them back to Va i am cooking one as we speak . Best place i ever had one was RT 80 E Morris, Illinois a truck stop called R Place be ready to get filled up ..... also Betty's on Main st in Marseilles,Illinois By fav add ones are yellow sweet peppers katsup mustard & onion. Polansic's meat market in Ottawa Illinois sell the best & fresh to take home. Although a little pricey i buy 4 packs atleast its worth all of my $$$.
HungryKYBoy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/02/06 02:23:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by simplysallys

Hi Michaelgemmell.
No, didn't find much worth eating near Leon....... Even asked a few locals and they didn't know of anything other than dairy queen and Caseys. We opted for the HyVee. Here in Des Moines, the tenderloins are big and meaty at our HyVees, They're cut and breaded on the spot... but the one we ate was round and pressed and fresh from a box in the freezer. Nuts. Anyway, I read this site today and you've all planted that need in me to find a good tenderloin, soon.
Wish there was something close, here in Des Moines, I don't like Porky's and George the Chili King is fair... I understand Smitty's on the south side is or used to be good. We do have culvers and machine shed. Tomorrow, I will take my son and go to one of the above. What I really want is in Solon... but I'll save that for a roadtrip. Last year we ate at Hamlin and found it to be a nice sandwich... more of a battered coating rather than the crunchy coating that is so prolific at most places. The size was a disappointment. We ordered one to split, since we expected a large sandwich and we were sad to see the sandwich was about the size of a burger, with no overhang! awwwww. Our party ordered 4 sandwiches and they were all this size. Quality was excellent. Quantity was not so great.
I'm rambling...
If anyone can recommend something close to Des Moines, we'll surely check it out!
Sally

Smitty's (Army Post Road & SW 14th) is great! Huge, crunchy, hot, and good. No gristle or other yucky bits in the loins. Note: closed Sundays.

Not fancy, but delicious food there!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Iowa Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches 2008/02/06 11:36:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lam61157

Polansic's meat market in Ottawa Illinois sell the best & fresh to take home. Although a little pricey i buy 4 packs atleast its worth all of my $$$.

I have driven by Polancic's many times but always on a Sunday when they are closed. I finally stopped last September and although I didn't buy any tenderloins, it's a great old time meat market. I had several filets cut to order, really nice helpful people. Their sign out front say's "Home of the Jumbo Porky". They make the tenderloins used in a lot of the local bars. It's a short drive off of I-80.

Bill Polancic's Meat Market and Tenderloin Shop
412 West Norris Street (US Rte. 6)
Ottawa, Illinois
815-443-0324

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1