Ireland

Author
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
2013/06/23 23:03:52 (permalink)

Ireland

After years of American travel, we are planning our first international trip together, to Ireland.

There are lots and lots of touristy things we can do in Ireland, but I'd particularly like to ask for advice from a Roadfooder's perspective of foods we we should seek out.

I know Irish food only from what I've encountered in Irish restaurants in the US - Irish stew, soda bread, Dublin coddle, colcannon, bangers. I like all that, but I don't assume that it's authentic, and I don't assume that it reflects all of Irish cuisine.

What else should I seek out? Are there regions of Ireland with their own specialties?

22 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 01:05:42 (permalink)
    Try some Crubeens.
    It's a snack Bar Food made with Pigs Feet.
    Seafood is in abundance. Try some "Dublin Lawyer"- Lobster cooked in Whiskey & Cream Sauce.
    Salmon & Cod dishes are excellent.
    Try some recently legal Irish Moonshine called Poitin. 60 to 90% Alcohol by Volume (120-180 Proof!) 
    Lamb & Mutton dishes abound! 

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 02:04:00 (permalink)
    Dublin Bay prawns on the East coast of Ireland and from the West coast, oysters from world famous Moran's Oyster Cottage in Galway.
    http://www.moransoystercottage.com/galway-oysters/
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 02:09:32 (permalink)
    Irish soda bread with smoked salmon and, smoked mackerel all enjoyed with a well pulled Guinness extra stout.

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 523
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 03:38:03 (permalink)
    Where in Ireland will you be going to?
    SBXSTR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 15:08:34 (permalink)
    Been to Ireland 4 or 5 times in the last 10 years or so. I'm a picky eater and was initially a little anxious about the food, but I was surprised big time. Irish beef and lamb (I'm told re the latter) and seafood is excellent. On our last trip, Mrs SBXSTR had seafood for 7 straight days. If possible, get to Kinsale, a picturesque sea port village south of Cork with a great restaurant scene. There try Man Friday and Max's Wine Bar. ALso the Spaniard and Jim Edwards, both great pubs. 
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 17:29:18 (permalink)
    Thank you very much! All these are great-sounding suggestions.

We have not yet decided a precise itinerary; we'll be there for long enough that we can visit any place but not every place. We'll certainly hit Dublin and the Dingle peninsula, but we're sorting out the rest.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/24 19:13:45 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton

Thank you very much! All these are great-sounding suggestions.

We have not yet decided a precise itinerary; we'll be there for long enough that we can visit any place but not every place. We'll certainly hit Dublin and the Dingle peninsula, but we're sorting out the rest.

In Dingle, try the Stone House.
    http://www.stonehouseventry.com/
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/25 02:11:40 (permalink)
    My first trip to the Republic of Ireland was more than 50 years ago, I was 11 and my grandmother took me. I have been numerous times since. Every two years for the past 12 years, as well as two 6 month stays as part of a university sponsored visiting lecture exchange program. Once to Dublin the other to Galway. Once you have an idea as to where you want to go and what you want to see I will be more than happy to assist if you like. I'd suggest you get a  Michele Erdvig travel guide - Ireland Yes. com - there is a great forum at her website. She can also help (for a fee) to set your travel plans. It is easy to do a "green blur" trip to Ireland. and in the midst of your 1st trip you may find yourself already planning your next one. I would recommend that you do a self-guided trip and utilize Bed and Breakfasts. If that is the way you decide to go then remember in planning that your average speed will likely be about 35mph, that doesn't include stops and breaks. So looking at driving from Dublin to Dingle would be  6 - 7 hour drive, that is for a 200 mile trip. Rent the smallest vehicle you can. Irish lamb, beef, fish and other seafood are always great choices. Fill up on an Irish Breakfast - it will sustain until you need a light lunch. My preference is a fish chowder and brown bread at a pub. Then maybe an early bird meal at a pub or restaurants as it is less expensive. Also get lost as often as possible as it is a great way to meet locals. I could go on for hours. However this is enough. Feel free to ask any questions if you so desire.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10216
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/25 22:54:32 (permalink)
    CCJPO,
    Sounds like you need to start a business as a tour guide. You get paid and you get your trips paid for!
    Rick Steves, Eat Your Heart Out!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/26 10:45:16 (permalink)
    Ralph
    When are you going?  Our favorite watering hole in Beaver Co. is Brady's Run Grille and Guesthouse.  The bartender is from Ireland.  We will ask her for some recommendations next time we're there. 
    icecreamchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/26 11:27:01 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone! This is growing my list of things to do even more.

I visited Ireland in 2000 with my sister. I remember a wonderful restaurant in Doolin where we had a funny experience.

My sister has absolutely hated peas since we were kids, and wouldn't eat them. So, I was pretty surprised when she ordered the pea soup starter (I did too). But, tastes do change, so I didn't say anything. After a few bites of the delicate soup, she looked at me and commented how delicious it was. A few more and she asked if it would be possible to have such good soup in the States.

I said "Sure, I could make you some."

She gave me a surprised look and said "But how would you get the peat?"

I laughed so hard...she'd misunderstood our waiter, and thought the soup had chunks of peat moss in it. I explained peat is tough and fibrous and was dried and burned as a fire fuel...and would likely taste terrible!

We still laugh about her accidental discovery that peas can be delicious.

My biggest food goal in Ireland is to enjoy tea time with scones and real cream in my tea :-)
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/26 11:57:02 (permalink)
    You should try and go to St. James Gate in Dublin and try the Guinness where it's made.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/26 12:20:53 (permalink)
    Some of the very best and most beloved memories the ex Mrs. Twinwillow and I ever had traveling, were during the two weeks we spent touring all of Ireland on our own.

The food was fabulous and the people are absolutely, the most friendly folks we'd ever encountered overseas. It seems the Irish have a special affinity for Americans.

Also note, the wild, windswept topography of the West coast of Ireland is completely different than the Eastern coast and should definitely not be missed! The middle of Ireland is mostly low rolling hills with lovely farms with small towns and villages and again, very friendly people. And some of the greenest countryside you'll ever encounter anywhere on Earth.

I know wherever you go in Ireland, you will be welcomed by some of the friendliest people in world and enjoy some of the best food you'll ever eat.

The small unassuming restaurants in the various villages and towns are some of the best.
    I highly recommend all the seafood, local veggies, banger's & mash, bubble & squeak, and the ubiquitous soda bread. Eat as much of it as you can because you won't get it anywhere else in the world. And also, don't forget their delicious Irish bacon for breakfast.

Speaking of breakfast, I hope you like oatmeal. It's one of the staple breakfast foods in Ireland.

I envy your trip. I know you'll remember it for all your lives.  
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/26 12:36:53 (permalink)
    Remember Irelands incredible west coast. Please don't miss it!
    http://www.google.com/sea...;ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And.....
    http://www.authenticireland.com/discover-ireland/

CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/28 19:32:08 (permalink)
    Ahhh the Dingle Penn.

Home  to a mere 1500 souls and also home to 52 PUBS.
    Dingle is a wonderful sea community so ANY of the 52 PUBS will have a great seafood chowder.

If you get a chance you must visit The Burren in County Claire.  Home to more than 90 megalithic tombs.  The Burren National Park has some beautiful sites and some nice walking trails.

If you happen to be in Midleton, then a visit to the old and new midleton distillery is in order, The LARGEST distillery in Ireland. (Jameson Brand is made there as are several other ones as to my fav being Paddy's)

If you are going to Limerick I would suggest The Locke, decent local pub usually good fish and chips and their Guiness Steww was YUMMMMMMMMMY

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Ireland 2013/06/29 00:43:08 (permalink)
    Twinwillow. Thank you for the kudos. However setting up trips for family and friends is hard enough for me. As in all management arenas, 5 to 10 percent ones group are going to cause 100% of ones problems. And how do you tell a great Aunt that we can't stay in Moy Cullen any longer looking for relatives dead or alive. If I had to do it for strangers, and not people that I love, I would still be in  gaol. However in your honor for your kind words I am going to make a banofee pies for 4th of July. I was going to do it anyway, but it sounded like a nice tribute to you.
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/27 20:57:22 (permalink)
    eat lots of lamb while you are there - there is no better lamb than what you get in ireland!

i'll second visiting the burren - just beautiful. and you MUST see the cliffs of moher!!  absolutely breathtaking!  also go see innisheer island - lovely community.  good food there as well - you walk around it as there are no cars on the island (you take a ferry over to it).  there is plenty more to see county clare too.  one other place i visited is yeat's castle

then head up to mayo: westport is very nice - really quaint, lots of places for great food, lots of shops in the square. visit westport house and stay a second day and go climb croagh patrick!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/27 21:27:37 (permalink)
    CCJPO

Twinwillow. Thank you for the kudos. However setting up trips for family and friends is hard enough for me. As in all management arenas, 5 to 10 percent ones group are going to cause 100% of ones problems. And how do you tell a great Aunt that we can't stay in Moy Cullen any longer looking for relatives dead or alive. If I had to do it for strangers, and not people that I love, I would still be in  gaol. However in your honor for your kind words I am going to make a banofee pies for 4th of July. I was going to do it anyway, but it sounded like a nice tribute to you.

Thanks, CCJPO. I'll say one thing about Ireland. I never visited a place that didn't amaze me, never had a bad meal, and, never met an Irishman or, woman, I didn't like.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/28 11:39:07 (permalink)
    Thank you for all the suggestions.

We've decided that we can't possibly see everything we would like, so we're going to meander our way around the south and west of Ireland. Our anchors for our plans are Dublin, Doolin, Killarney, Dingle, Kinsale, Kilkenny. We certainly plan to visit the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, and we'll spend a lot of time in B&Bs and pubs.

We've organized our plans around spending a day or two in Dingle at the Dingle Food Festival the first weekend in October.

I'm certainly willing to try Crubeens - Lori declares that she's willing to watch me try them.

I've had a tough time websearching for good sources for Dublin Lawyer; all my searches come up with legal professionals. I could, I suppose, call them up and ask "Would you be delicious poached with whiskey and cream?" But I would worry about inciting an international incident.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/28 15:55:41 (permalink)
    While in Kinsale YOU MUST and I repeat MUST stop for a pint or 3 at The Greyhound Pub.  First Opened in 1690.  A great locals place, decent pub food and you can not beat the atmosphere in the place.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/28 21:23:44 (permalink)
    A little late, but I loved the Seafood Pie. Or "seafood pot pie."
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    Re:Ireland 2013/07/28 21:25:04 (permalink)
    Oh, also Irish cheeses. Mmmmm. 
    http://www.irishcheese.ie
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1