Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose?

Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2011/01/18 13:39:25 (permalink)

Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose?

I have been reading about how businesses do annoying things to customers to inadvertantly make them do what they want. Like many bars will play loud music so people can't talk to one another so they drink more. Or supermarkets hiding and moving around their products, for no good reason than force the customer to walk the store to hopefully buy more stuff.

I have noticed when I eat fast food that there is always some kind of irritating music playing. It's sort of a cross of pop music and muzak itself, not anything popular or famous, just music that seems to be made for the purpose of being background noise in the fast food place. I live in China and went to Burger King (BK in China rules!) and they played this LOUD Xmas music. Why in China I don't know except that these international companies seem to run their stores about the same way and every store around the Earth has to assault people's brains with this garbage. I mean, play some Eagles or Steely Dan or better yet, NOTHING.

Second, it seems that the fast food places seem to have not that comfortable seating. It is OK to sit there for a few minutes, but after a bit, one is not that comfortable there. In many places, the chairs are bolted down, sometimes not. I think that they purposely design these furnishings to be uncomfortable to keep people from loitering about.

Like I said, I live in China. Once I was going into a supermarket on the bottom floor which had a McD's and a small mall on the second floor and I ducked into the McD's bathroom when I saw a man there drinking cheap jug wine, reading the newspaper and eating his own food. Classic. No one in the McD's told him to leave or anything. The staff in the USA would of had a total fit, called the cops and the poor guy would have been tazered and sent to jail

4 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3544
    Re:Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose? 2011/01/18 15:37:57 (permalink)
    Well, of course they do!  It's fast food, not fine dining.  The more people who move through the restaurant, the more money they make.  Because really...if you're at Burger King, you're not going to order more the longer you sit there.  They'd rather have you done and gone so another paying customer can take your seat.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose? 2011/01/18 19:33:11 (permalink)
    I can't explain the choice of music but I've always assumed the furniture was chosen for soil resistance (easy to clean) and basic indestructibility. The seating on most large city busses these days is the same hard plastic and I doubt transit officials are using it to chase people off their vehicles.

PS: Perhaps its the Pacific Rim/Asian influence thing, but I'm pretty sure the response in San Francisco to that guy in the bathroom would have been the same. Fast food chain locations there have become hangouts for the homeless and inebriated.

One other explanation for this is that about 10 years ago now a Carl's Junior location in Civic Center tossed a drunk homeless guy out on a cold foggy winter night and he was found dead of hypothermia next morning.  Turned out he had a wealthy family and they successfully sued.
    post edited by BT - 2011/01/18 19:43:37
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose? 2011/01/18 20:35:04 (permalink)
    What was really irritating yesterday in BK was they had the drive-thru orders coming over a loud speaker in the counter area. I got to hear every detail of about 15 orders while I in the dining area. That was really a first.
    kishkaeater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re:Irritating music and hard plastic chairs, done on purpose? 2011/01/19 12:22:12 (permalink)
    No one in the McD's told him to leave or anything. The staff in the USA would of had a total fit, called the cops and the poor guy would have been tazered and sent to jail

That statement is way off base.  The McDonald's stores in the United States are told to let everyone eat, sit, stay and even panhandle without interference.

Once when enjoying a hot fudge sundae at McDonald's I was witness to a kind patron asking an obviously ill street person who had taken up residence in a booth if they'd like something to eat.

Employees of McDonald's were cleaning tables nearby totally ignoring the street person.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1