Is BBQ related to Soul Food?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4304
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/13 23:19:32 (permalink)
If that carp is supposed to look like me, it will need a few days beard growth first. And it'll have to be Kosherized too.

BubbyRoadcarp
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/13 23:31:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

If that carp is supposed to look like me, it will need a few days beard growth first. And it'll have to be Kosherized too.

BubbyRoadcarp

Does that mean what I think it means? " />
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 00:38:13 (permalink)
You better believe it! That carp's scales are gonna have to get snipped!

Buddy/Bubby/Whatever makes you happy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3173
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 07:08:39 (permalink)
quote:

BubbyRoadcarp

LOL!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 10:05:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

quote:

BubbyRoadcarp

LOL!

A recent BuddyRoadcarp sighting in Chicago.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 10:46:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by edwmax

"Soul Food" is ethnic food of the African American culture. The "Southern" food that I cook including BBQ IS NOT "Soul Food".The local AME Minister does not come by and pray "AMEN, Glory Hallelujah" over my food as it's cooking.A lot of Afro-American restaurants cook "Southern" style food and call it "Soul Food". That does not make it so, as the food and preparation style originated outside of the African, slave or Afro-American cultures.Just my 2 cent worth.

Sorry but you lost me at: AME Minister does not come by and pray "AMEN, Glory Hallelujah" over my food as it's cooking.

What does an AME Minister have to do with anything?
Maybe I should ask what AME stands for?

Jack
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 10:58:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by annpeeples
But poor people no matter what their color were forced to eat what ever they could afford. So came ribs and BBQ because they were considered scrap cuts. My point was my greatgrandparents were German, and my Mom grew up eating(1923-2004)what people all over this site are describing as "soul food".

So Ann, that's the point but go back one step were they eating BBQ ribs before they came here? I doubt it I cooked with the Klose team in the World Championship and the German team didn't know crap about BBQ er smoking ribs would be a better choice of terms. They had excellent sausage but their ribs were a burnt mess. I think as I stated several times that, poor people no matter what their color were forced to eat what ever they could afford. So came ribs and BBQ because they were considered scrap cuts, and thus very cheap. And again the key word is poor people. Whites from all over the world ended up cooking much of what had become a black tradition due to hard economic times and it was good comfort food. Thus the tradition spread across the south and finally to the north.
Jack
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:04:59 (permalink)
quote:
.....What does an AME Minister have to do with anything?
Maybe I should ask what AME stands for? ...

I have no idea what an AME minister has to do with anything but it stands for African Methodist Episcopal. It started out as one of the original churches for slaves who were "saved" but not welcome at the churches from those same people. http://www.ame-church.com/index.php
They are open to any ethnic type but are overwhelmingly Black.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:10:46 (permalink)
quote:
I'd love to sell some swampy land to anyone who thinks that slave-owning planters did any or all of the work at those early BBQ's.

Finally someone that understands! But those plantation owners sometime after or just before the war picked up BBQ and made it a thing of the south, not just the slaves. Most likely right after the war because the south was in economic ruin and everyone was starting over with little or nothing. With all the childish crap on this post about south vs north I was waiting for some one to yell "Save your Dixie Cups cause the south shall rise again".

But back to the topic, The picture of my friend Buddy Roadhouse is just the way I see him when he stops in my place in Springfield "always putting food in his mouth". God bless his BBQ/RoadFood loving soul, you have to love this guy. Merry Christmas to you and your family Buddy. Hope to see you soon.
Jack
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:24:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss
I'm no expert, Dr, just my observations growing up. I would say the White bbq descended from the Southern Country Tradition as discussed previously. The Black BBQ is pretty well documented as to Henry Perry's path from Memphis and steamboats to KC, and Arthur and Charlie Bryant being from Texas.
I went to school with both Riekes, immigrant truck farmers, and Quicks, thus my knowledge of white folks BBQ It's alll good.
http://www.centredaily.com/living/food/story/198298.html

Bill your reference article is very interesting have you read it?
Here is a quote:
Other entrepreneurs followed, also African-American men. "That's because for hundreds of years making barbecue, considered too menial for whites and too difficult for women, was a task performed exclusively by male slaves of African origin," Worgul wrote. He added, "...virtually every reference to barbecue found in America's early historical record includes mention of the slaves who made the barbecue."

Thank you for confirming my point
Jack
matilda
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:41:21 (permalink)
In the fabric of time, and not so long ago, lobster was eschewed as a poor man's food by the well-to-do.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:43:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

quote:
Originally posted by bill voss
I'm no expert, Dr, just my observations growing up. I would say the White bbq descended from the Southern Country Tradition as discussed previously. The Black BBQ is pretty well documented as to Henry Perry's path from Memphis and steamboats to KC, and Arthur and Charlie Bryant being from Texas.
I went to school with both Riekes, immigrant truck farmers, and Quicks, thus my knowledge of white folks BBQ It's alll good.
http://www.centredaily.com/living/food/story/198298.html

Bill your reference article is very interesting have you read it?
Here is a quote:
Other entrepreneurs followed, also African-American men. "That's because for hundreds of years making barbecue, considered too menial for whites and too difficult for women, was a task performed exclusively by male slaves of African origin," Worgul wrote. He added, "...virtually every reference to barbecue found in America's early historical record includes mention of the slaves who made the barbecue."

Thank you for confirming my point
Jack

Doug Worgul wrote The Grand Barbecue, where that was cribbed from:
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Barbecue-Celebration-Personalities-Techniques/dp/0970913125/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197650464&sr=8-1
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 11:44:58 (permalink)
Economic ruin is right ! Reconstruction in the South , ( and believe me my family were personal experts on it because they actually LIVED through it ),didn't really end untill WWII ...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 15:27:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

But back to the topic, The picture of my friend Buddy Roadhouse is just the way I see him when he stops in my place in Springfield "always putting food in his mouth". God bless his BBQ/RoadFood loving soul, you have to love this guy. Merry Christmas to you and your family Buddy. Hope to see you soon.
Jack
Have no fear Jack, you will see me twice this Christmas season. Once on the way to and again on the way back from Kansas City. You'll even get to meet my daughter(!), abe froeman, on the return trip. She and her S.O. are flying in on the 26th and meeting us in KC. We'll all be driving back, along with our luggage and other accumulated crap (or is it "carp") stuffed into a Toyota Corolla, on the 30th.

If all goes according to plan I will have some handsome treats in tow for you when Mrs. Roadhouse and I drive down on the 20th. We'll probably pick up a bunch of stuff for our New Year's Day family get together when we see you on the 30th.

Save a slab for me,

Buddy
allyk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 154
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 17:55:13 (permalink)
I come from the Tennessee Valley area of Alabama. I grew up on great barbeque. Is it soul food? I know that most of the great barbeque joints in our area (I'm talking about the ones that have been around for at least 50 years) learned the method from black folks who had been perfecting it for years. Does that make it soul food? Does it matter? I know it improves the state of my soul when I eat it. And that's all that matters to me.
iqdiva
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/14 18:01:04 (permalink)
Allyk,believe me that is the most important aspect of " soul cooking " of any variety or cuisine ! That it improves the state of your soul...
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/15 11:17:12 (permalink)
I think Korean BBQ is related to Seoul food.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/15 13:31:21 (permalink)
Nicely done, GW.

Buddy
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8650
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/15 14:16:30 (permalink)
Dr.of BBq-my heritage is of Germans coming to America.Of course they ate ribs.Maybe different from the southern consideration,but they did eat ribs, nonetheless.Comparing a team of German chefs, from Germany,in 2007, is totally off course as to what I am talking about.Did the Riedels know about ribs when they took the boat over in 1897? No.Did my great grandmother in 1958 make great ribs?Yes.Did grandma Anna know about turnip greens with pork fat when leaving Germany? No.Did she cook them over the years at their homestead in Michigan? Yes.Just wanted to clarify my stance.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/15 14:54:06 (permalink)
quote:
....Buddy

Buddy?,
and who is this bessela boychick named Buddy?
jmies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/15 23:26:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by trolasater

In central North Carolina, chicken-fried steak is not a native dish for blacks or whites. We make white gravy (we call it milk gravy) with sausage and eat it over grits or biscuits.

We flour and brown round steak, remove it from the skillet, fry a lot of onions in the grease, add more flour and brown it, then return the steak with some water to the pan and simmer everything together covered until fork tender. This is country-style steak. I've also had it made with hamburgers. The key to good country-sytle steak is to simmer it long enough to break down the connective tissue in the steak. CSS made in a hurry tastes good, but will always be tough. It can be simmered in a crock-pot

I grew up on a working farm in the Midwest, and country fried steak (we just called it fried steak) was a staple at dinner (noon) meals. My mother took round steak and tenderized it with a meat mallet then pounded flour into it. She dipped these pieces into milk, and then seasoned flour. Browned the pieces on both sides, then covered the skillet and turned down the heat. After 10 min. or so, turned the pieces, covered and repeated. After 10 min. turned the heat up, and browned both sides. Removed the steak, and excess oil, then added flour to brown in the crispies and then added milk. We usually ate this with the gravy over boiled potatoes, lettuce salad and corn or green beans on the side. I always put Worcestershire sauce on the steak. If the potatoes ran out, we had the gravy over white bread.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/16 00:11:38 (permalink)
Thank you to all for an interesting discussion.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/16 23:37:36 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
....Buddy

Buddy?,
and who is this bessela boychick named Buddy?
"Buddy" is my alter ego when we're around Goyim.

Bubby/Buddy
Whatever you like, depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/17 06:49:49 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/29 12:35:37 (permalink)
Submited Tongue in cheek

The History of BBQ and Humans:

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups: Liberals and Conservatives.

When beer was invented it required grain, and that was the beginning of agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so our early human ancestors just stayed close to the brewery. That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as "the Conservative movement".

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off the conservatives by showing up for the nightly BBQ's and doing the sewing, weaving and hair dressing. This was the beginning of "the Liberal movement." Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became known as 'girleymen'.

Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the trade union, class action lawsuits, the invention of group therapy & group hugs and the concept of democratic voting to decide how to divide the BBQ and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most powerful land animal on earth, the elephant. The jackass symbolizes Liberals.

Modern liberals like imported beer (with lime added), but most prefer white wine or imported bottled water. They eat raw fish but like their beef well done. Sushi, tofu and French food are standard liberal fare.

Another interesting revolutionary side note: most liberal women have higher testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury attorneys, journalists, hairdressers, dreamers in Hollywood and group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented baseball's designated hitter rule because it wasn't "fair" to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink domestic beer and eat ribs, brisket, pulled pork, pork tenderloin, and potatoes. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, soldiers, self-employed, athletes, and owners of lots of BBQ equipment. Generally conservatives are anyone who works productively outside government. Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to "govern" the producers and decide what to do with the production. They also like to take money away from successful people and give it to the failures. Liberals believe Europeans are more enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tame and created a business of trying to get MORE of everything and especially BBQ.

Thus ends today's lesson in world history

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/29 13:39:54 (permalink)
Submitted tongue in cheek too

"In this world of sin and sorrow, there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."
H. L. Mencken

"I suppose I can understand the callous, selfish disregard of the conservatives. It is their pride in it that passes me by."
Rack Jite , Conservatively Incorrect
and
Best Fodder for the Late-Night Comedians: Senator Larry Craig (R-estroom) gave "new meaning to the word caucusing" (David Letterman) when he was caught playing footsie in the men's room with his infamous "wide stance." Craig announced his resignation, then later reversed his decision after "talking it over with guy in stall number 3" (Conan O'Brien), angering his Republican colleagues, some of whom "stopped having sex with him" (Jimmy Kimmel). The staunchly anti-gay lawmaker denied being a hypocrite, saying, "Hey, I wasn't trying to marry the cop in the bathroom" (O'Brien). Later, he was inducted into the Idaho Hall of Fame — not the entire hall, "just the men's room" (Jay Leno).

Best Sex on the City: While Rudy Giuliani was carrying on his extramarital affair as New York mayor, he reportedly billed taxpayers for security expenses incurred during his love romps in the Hamptons; attempted to hide those expenses by billing obscure city agencies; and enlisted the N.Y.P.D. to serve as a personal taxi service to chauffeur around his mistress on long trips and walk her dog.
Most Likely to Flunk a High School Civics Test: Dick Cheney, who in an attempt to shield his records from the National Archives, claimed that the office of the vice president is not a part of the executive branch, but rather a part of the legislative branch. It was also revealed that Cheney has invented his own secret document designation ("treated as" secret) to shield his everyday papers from the scrutiny of posterity, and keeps several man-sized safes where he can hide the rest of his secrets, or, if need be, his waterboard.

A Republican found a magic genie's lamp and rubbed it. The genie said : "I will grant you one wish." He said : "I wish I were smarter". So the genie made him smarter. The next day he became a Democrat.

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill Island of Freedom

"The more they talk, the more being called a Liberal sounds like a compliment."
Douglas Giles, Progressive Thought

"I tell the truth and they think it's hell."
President Harry Truman, Truman Presidential Library

"Republicans want to punish work and reward wealth; hence the high payroll tax and the low dividend tax. Said one Bush economic adviser, if we can't help wealthy investors and screw working people, what's the point in being a Republican?"
Paul Begala
iqdiva
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/29 14:31:46 (permalink)
" If you want to live like a Republican , you'd better vote for a Democrat " ... President Harry Truman
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/30 01:51:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmies
If the potatoes ran out, we had the gravy over white bread.

Oh man I grew up on white bread buttered then both slices
laid side by side on a plate and covered with great brown or
white gravy depending on what we had for diner that night.
Boy was it good. Great memories from my childhood. Now that
was Soul-Food.
Jack
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: Is BBQ related to Soul Food? 2007/12/31 09:26:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by allyk

I come from the Tennessee Valley area of Alabama. I grew up on great barbeque. Is it soul food? I know that most of the great barbeque joints in our area (I'm talking about the ones that have been around for at least 50 years) learned the method from black folks who had been perfecting it for years. Does that make it soul food? Does it matter? I know it improves the state of my soul when I eat it. And that's all that matters to me.

Calvin Trillin once wrote that going to a white-run barbecue place is like going to a gentile internist: It might work out all right, but you're not playing the percentages.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1