Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2445
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 00:02:51 (permalink)
I'm going to be borrowing a page from Buffetbuster's book in the near future.  I've been to a number of Roadfoody spots lately in my routine travels here in NYC.  I wouldn't post a trip report about each one but put together I think they would make for a nice triptych (of a sort) of what to check out while visiting the Big Apple!  Just a suggestion of a different way to look at posting Roadfood spots if you feel that 1 or 2 local places isn't enough to post about. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7918
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 08:34:56 (permalink)
joerogo

Davydd

wanderingjew

Davydd

There is a certain amount of herd mentality here in people chasing down what is listed in the restaurants in Roadfood.com or published in the Stern's books, and of course, where the more vocal members travel to. It kind of gets a tad self-limiting. The truth is there are an almost inexhaustible number of road food worthy restaurants and DDD is more in the business of finding them, and retreading doesn't garner ratings. 

I agree, if you look at my trip reports perhaps maybe 50% of the restaurants I've visited are either on roadfood.com or in the Stern's books, the other 50% are places that I've researched on my own. And although infrequent, there will everyonce in a while be a clunker,however  9 times out of 10 I've been extremely satisifed with my new finds.

wj, I consider you one of the "more vocal members". Imagine what you could accomplish if you had a research staff and someone to transport your red convertible around the country.

He'a a "Goomba" when it comes to Italian Food!  But, stay away from the spiked hair.

I'm too busy keeping my hair "pre-maturely gray" let alone spiked...
I just took joerogo to a classic red sauce joint  as he was passing through town, that would make any Brooklyn "Nonnie" proud

http://frankandjohnfromitaly.com/

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6398
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 11:11:14 (permalink)
Tony Bad

Castles along the Rhine aside, to me, when 75% or more of a forum's traffic is "off topic" it has clearly evolved into a different beast. Not passing judgment on whether that is generally a good or bad thing...I was just commenting on why I feel this site may be getting "out roadfooded" as the original poster suggested.

Tony, That's an issue for Roadfood.com to deal with. You can't lay it on the members. Evidently the forums are set up to promote that usage. There may be be too many categories trying to satisfy all people. One good thing about this software is each individual member, if they know how (and probably don't), can edit what they see. For instance, a long time ago I eliminated ever seeing what the "food professionals" (or is that still hot dog vendors), fast food and some others I may have forgotten. Does a forum that is promoting road food need four miscellaneous off topic boards? Off topic is off topic. I don't understand the subtle difference of the board Roadfood News Forum and Roadfood Restaurants in the Media and why this thread doesn't sit in either.  Lump them together then the food related could overwhelm the more off topic threads and keep people focused. In my mind there are way too many topics when the focus should seemingly be on road food places. The Stern books never broke down into hamburger, pizza and hot dog categories. It seems to focus on restaurant places and regional finds and categories could get ridiculous if you carried it out to 50 states differences for sandwiches for instance. Maybe too many forums caused two Bourdain Frito Pies to pop up.

BTW, no complaints from me about moderators and how things are handled.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1428
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 11:48:56 (permalink)
Davydd

Off topic social interaction is an important aspect of any forum. It allows people to get to know each other a bit more and brings people closer together to think of themselves as friends. For a forum it actually brings in more people to participate because in a off topic atmosphere everyone finds a niche of participation. For example a home bound person who can't really get out and explore road food may enjoy being a voyeur but can't fully participate. A topic they can participate in may pop up a blam! they break their own personal ice and get caught up in participating. It works.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 12:05:55 (permalink)
Davydd
Tony, That's an issue for Roadfood.com to deal with. You can't lay it on the members. 

I didn't mean to do that and sorry if it came across that way!

CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 13:13:44 (permalink)
Trees are gonna fall in the Roadfood forest whether people decide to hear them or not. They don't all have to fall in the same place or way.

I borrow a page from the book of crazy and have as much fun as possible along the way. I most certainly don't worry about other people stressing about what other people do or don't do according to how they feel it should be done....on Roadfood.

What did you have for lunch today...Tony?
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/10/10 01:05:43
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4545
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 13:22:54 (permalink)
Tony Bad

Castles along the Rhine aside, to me, when 75% or more of a forum's traffic is "off topic" it has clearly evolved into a different beast. Not passing judgment on whether that is generally a good or bad thing...I was just commenting on why I feel this site may be getting "out roadfooded" as the original poster suggested.

And one more thing ______

Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 14:07:12 (permalink)
Page Productions and Food Network, whom I believe are the co-owners of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," have not mismanaged their brand nearly as badly as Roadfood.com has mismanaged its.  I know exactly what a DDD restaurant is.

Even DDD's fan sites, such as Flavortown USA, don't have forums where people can talk about restaurants that have not already received the program's seal of approval.  Now, don't get me wrong - the forums at this site (when they are not overwhelmed with spam and robots, as this morning) are by leagues the best thing about this place, full of awesome people and wonderful recommendations.  I love this forum and this observation is not meant in any way to be negative or critical of a great social place.  I would, however, also concur with Davydd that there are far too many off-topic areas in these forums.

The problem is that Roadfood.com is, for me, a forum, and no longer useful as a principal site.

See, from a brand perspective, people know exactly what "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" means, and apart from some "what TV show was that place on" confusion between DDD, The Best Thing I Ever Ate, and Man vs. Food (which is on another network entirely, but I've had people swear to my face that they saw Guy Fieri do a show from Kennesaw GA's Big Pie in the Sky, when, NO, it was Adam from MvF...), DDD has done nothing in its social world to damage the brand that it created.

I realize there is a contradiction there, and that's going to always be the case.  Fan discussion of DDD places is going to center around "what I saw on the show."  User discussion on this forum is going to center around "roadfood," regardless of whether Roadfood.com has featured / stamped approval on the places offered as suggestions by its users, or praised in trip reports.

The best way to fix this discrepancy is for Roadfood.com to develop a much stronger brand, letting the ideas, the trip reports, and the stories from the forum, which is the site's greatest strength, become the backbone of a stronger site.

A top-of-my-head example (of many) is Gary Lee's Market in Brunswick GA, which was mentioned in a number of forum posts, and which I never, ever would have found without this forum.  But forum posts are ephemeral and don't have the brand's approval by way of a featured review.   If people are using the forum to get this kind of information, Roadfood.com should be commissioning somebody with a camera and a notepad to get down to Brunswick and get a feature about the place, and direct traffic from the forums to the feature.

There needs to be a more open procedure for featuring new stories on the site when users think a restaurant or festival or something would make a good feature.

New "reviews" - I would use "articles" - need to be spotlighted and featured front and center much more frequently, rather than rotating or cycling through old things as is the case now.  Look what the Roadfood of the Day is for Wed, Oct. 9 - why! it's Atlanta's Varsity.  Hooray for FRESH CONTENT!  Nobody has EVER spotlighted The Varsity before!

The site needs to vet new submissions and suggestions closely to ensure they're not getting inappropriate places like Skipper's Fish Camp or Village Burger in the mix.  It diminishes the brand when people visit a restaurant that may be good and may be great but leaves them wondering "...what made this place roadfood?"

The site needs to not delete history with its idiotic purges.  Show me the episode of DDD where they clipped out and deleted the segment on Atlanta's Cabbagetown Market, and the DDD fan sites that expunged that restaurant/store from its database, and I'll say that maybe Roadfood.com might be the more trustworthy brand after all.

I realize that the ship can't be turned around overnight, and that changes cost money, but if the site admins start working now, there's no reason why Roadfood.com can't solicit a whole bunch of new reviews and articles from people who have expressed a desire to write new things, VET THEM TO ENSURE THAT THEY ARE SUITABLE, and start stockpiling some great new material, including trip reports, news stories, reviews, and features, and start launching fresh new content on a regular schedule either daily or five times a week in the spring of 2014.

Make people want to use the site, not the message board, in other words.
======
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8512
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 15:39:40 (permalink)
I came upon this site, by accident, years ago. I forget my initial question-but it was about a one of a kind restaurant. I am in no way a world traveler, but know fantastic places in the Milwaukee/ Illinois corridor. And frankly, we could spend weeks and weeks in this area. Billyboy proves this with his reports. However, many people, when I did travel, ( St. Louis-WJ ) recommended great places. I have also formed some very important friendships here. Some come and some go. My point is that while there are other forums I don't feel a part of, I always come back to all of you for great places to eat. And as I may not get to areas in the country, I so enjoy the reports all of  you post. Funny story-Guy went to the Comet Café on the east side-loved it-but I was underwhelmed. They screwed up my eggs completely!
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 17:13:26 (permalink)
wanderingjew I'm too busy keeping my hair "pre-maturely gray" let alone spiked...
I just took joerogo to a classic red sauce joint  as he was passing through town, that would make any Brooklyn "Nonnie" proud

Wanderingjew -  

"Frank and John from Italy" used to be called "Two Guys from Italy" back in the 1970s.  I went there a lot as a kid, and it primarily (only?)  served pizza back then.  It changed it's name to the current one sometime in the early 80's, if I recall correctly.   I was not aware that they now have such an extensive menu with several non-pizza dishes.  I have not been there in ages.    I'll have to give them another try.    Thanks for the heads up.

Glenn

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4545
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 18:47:22 (permalink)
Glenn1234

wanderingjew I'm too busy keeping my hair "pre-maturely gray" let alone spiked...

Wanderingjew -  

"Frank and John from Italy" used to be called "Two Guys from Italy" back in the 1970s.  I went there a lot as a kid, and it primarily (only?)  served pizza back then.  It changed it's name to the current one sometime in the early 80's, if I recall correctly.   I was not aware that they now have such an extensive menu with several non-pizza dishes.  I have not been there in ages.    I'll have to give them another try.    Thanks for the heads up.

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

The Baked Stuffed Chicken Parmigiano was world class, red sauce Italian Food.  I wanted the snail salad, but it wasn't available.

Joe
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/09 22:46:28 (permalink)
joerogo

Glenn1234

Wanderingjew -  

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

The Baked Stuffed Chicken Parmigiano was world class, red sauce Italian Food.  I wanted the snail salad, but it wasn't available.

Joe

Joe -

Sounds great.  I'll give it a try.   But, not sure when I'll get up there next.  We typically go up there for a summer visit, but sometimes squeeze in another visit or two throughout the year 

Glenn

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/10/09 22:49:01
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/10 00:31:46 (permalink)
I'm glad this thread has provoked such well thought out comments.
BB:
As I mentioned, I searched for Kelly O's and didn't find it which I think says something about the inability to do effective searches on here.
I'm no techie and don't know anything about doing the technical stuff to create search data parameters and stuff.
My posting of the KellyO link was not an endorsement of the place, just an example of a DDD feature that I mistakenly thought wasn't on here. Next time I'll look harder.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Is DDD Out-Roadfooding Roadfood.com??? 2013/10/10 18:53:51 (permalink)
Speaking strictly for myself, I use this site only for which it was originally intended.  I have come to this site nearly every day since 2000; it was about three years before I finally became a member, mainly because I didn't have too much to say.

I come here each day to learn what is out there.  I take notes.  I use that information for those (increasingly rare) times when I have the opportunity to travel.

I try to stay away from any off topics. (Although I have done it a handful of times over the last ten years; indeed, I'm doing it now.)  I usually only comment on food-related topics of which I have knowledge that I'd like to share with others.  And I've stayed true to that mode of operation ever since I joined.  I usually keep quiet, but I'm here.  And I'm going to be here a long while.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1