The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Is Popeye's THAT Good ???

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 63
Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 10:29 AM (permalink)
I heard this morning that the one Popeye's here in Topeka has closed. Last time I was there, it was a filthy unorganized craphole, so I'm not surprised.

We've started going to Church's instead for spicy chicken - it's closer and you don't have to wait for half an hour for you order in a dining room filled with trash bags.

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
    Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
    I find that Popeyes have a LOT of variation from place to place. When it's clean, the chicken is good, and the rotating specials tend to be better. But, even with the half dozen or so Popeye's in my area (most or all owned by the same guy), there's one dingy one where it appears that "mop" is a forbidden word, several bright and clean ones, and a couple where they seem clean up once a day whether it needs it or not.

I stick to the well-cleaned ones, and wonder why the owner has such a variety of standards.

Bart

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
      Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 12:35 PM (permalink)
      bartl

I find that Popeyes have a LOT of variation from place to place. When it's clean, the chicken is good, and the rotating specials tend to be better. But, even with the half dozen or so Popeye's in my area (most or all owned by the same guy), there's one dingy one where it appears that "mop" is a forbidden word, several bright and clean ones, and a couple where they seem clean up once a day whether it needs it or not.

I stick to the well-cleaned ones, and wonder why the owner has such a variety of standards.

Bart

Probably,like so many,the guy is a totally absentee owner who lives in Vegas or Miami or out of the country and could not care about anything but the daily receipts being pumped into an off shore account-------------day to day left to individual managers or "mis-managers" Popeyes near me in Neptune is excellent always clean,chix good and hot and fresh and biscuits really good-----don't bother with sides just go for the goodies!

Russ

<message edited by russ2304 on Wed, 10/14/09 12:37 PM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 12:50 PM (permalink)
        I have 2 Popeye's near me that are like night and day. One is smoothly run, nice staff, good food and always clean. The other has the surliest staff you could ever meet and is a dump. The dump one closed a year ago. How can a company run like that?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 1:07 PM (permalink)
          Kland
            What you describe is probably a franchise situation (or two). In one the franchise owner is doing as he/she should...Running a business to make a profit and satisfy the customer with a quality product. At the other the 'owner' may indeed be elsewhere...an absentee owner is inviting problems in his/her business. It may be that the two stands have the same owner with that person in attendance at the 'good' store while allowing the second store to languish without leadership.

I have mentioned several times on RF that I like visiting Culvers stands...the food is above average for FF and our local stand has a franchise owner who really cares about his business and it's role in the community. On the other hand there is a Culvers in Louisville that I would not enter for any reason. It is run by an absentee owner who hires folks who just don't care about the business.  That's too bad, because I think the bads hurt the image of the 'chain' more than the 'goods' help it.

NC Cheesehead

• Total Posts: 158
            Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 1:30 PM (permalink)
            Had Popeyes, KFC, and Churches just to name a few....Nope.  Chicken is not worth robbing for regardless!  Interesting and desperate story. 

Honestly, I still like KFC better..... I will get flamed here in NC for those of you in the area.  There is a Bojangles Chicken on every other corner here....http://www.bojangles.com/

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
              Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Wed, 10/14/09 5:32 PM (permalink)
              The problem is that there was only the one Popeye's here - the other ones are an hour's drive away in KC.  We were excited when the Topeka location opened, since we used ot eat at Popeye's when we lived in Houston. I had never tried Church's until my wife wanted chicked recently, and was pleasantly surprised by their spicy chicken.
              <message edited by Niagara on Wed, 10/14/09 5:34 PM>

marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
                Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 10/16/09 4:33 AM (permalink)
                there are very few popeye's here in washington state, the closest one to me is in renton (5 miles away) the other one is in south tacoma (35 miles away)......

however, both are spotless and serve excellent food. i imagine that will change if more stores open up, but for now it's my favorite fast-food chicken. i'm also a big fan of the shrimp po' boy :)

there is a church's chicken in federal way (25 miles away) that is also pretty good, i think popeyes is still better but both kick kfc to the curb any day............ kfc around here has become extremely salty and flavorless recently.... and where do they get those tiny chickens? i swear they're using cornish game hens now...:(

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
                  Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 10/16/09 10:36 AM (permalink)
                  Let's just say that I wished I had a Popeye's that was geographically convenient.

Love it.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                    Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 10/16/09 11:25 AM (permalink)
                    I have one 3 miles away. Maybe I should give them a try.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 10/16/09 1:37 PM (permalink)
                      Capt Jack-    We had a Popeyes at the Main St Exit on the 15 in Hesperia. It was built into a large Texaco (at the time) Gas Station and Convenience store. They had a LOT of coupons out in all the throwaways (Penneysaver) In fact, I was searching for Popeyes coupons in a Penneysaver one day when I tripped across a Personal Ad that is now taped to my computer. It was Janet's ad that lead to us meeting....and the rest is history !

MiamiDon

Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 10/16/09 2:00 PM (permalink)
                        marzsit

kfc around here has become extremely salty and flavorless recently....

We have a Popeye's that is very conveniently located for us, and my wife brought home some the other month.  It tasted like they had a salt-bomb explode in the kitchen.  I am not one to endlessly moan about salty restaurant food, like some around here.  But this was ridiculous.  Even the BISCUITS were salty.

Alco251

• Total Posts: 74
                          Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sun, 11/1/09 2:38 PM (permalink)
                          I drive past the Popeyes and go to Lee's Famous Recipe.  They split the difference between Popeyes Mild and Hot just right for me.  And I love their potato wedges, not overly cooked like KFCs, obviously cut fresh and put in the chicken batter.

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
                            Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sun, 11/1/09 7:09 PM (permalink)
                            In the late 70's Popeye's was great.  Large pieces of chicken with seasoning both beneath the skin and outside.  The sides were also great, but as I remember, limited to dirty rice, fries and bisquits.  The chicken was always fresh, hot & crispy.  As the chain grew the product suffered.  Now, as often as not, I get chicken that has been sitting under a heat lamp for hours, small pieces, and very little spice. The dirty rice is gummy, and almost tasteless.  I guess as the chain expanded the taste may have "evolved" to meet the tastes of people outside of the south, but I don't know.  I've even asked and waited for fresh out of the fryer chicken and have not been wowed.

As a Louisiana born and bred Cajun and having eaten great Popeye's chicken in NO and around our state, it seems that Popeye's has given up quality for quantity.

cy

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                              Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Thu, 12/3/09 2:53 PM (permalink)
                              NC Cheesehead

Had Popeyes, KFC, and Churches just to name a few....Nope.  Chicken is not worth robbing for regardless!  Interesting and desperate story. 

Honestly, I still like KFC better..... I will get flamed here in NC for those of you in the area.  There is a Bojangles Chicken on every other corner here....http://www.bojangles.com/

I like Popeyes more than KFC.   KFC gets there chicken from farms that treat the chickens terrible, you should see the videos on PETA.com.
                              Anyways, on to a lighter note, Bojangles is pretty good too.  We have them here in the DC area and the BUFFALO BITES are the ISH. Mmm

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Thu, 12/3/09 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                what's the ISH?

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4466
                                  Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Thu, 12/3/09 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                  bill voss

what's the ISH?

GFS

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                                    Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Thu, 12/3/09 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                    bill voss

what's the ISH?

Johannesburg.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                                      Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/4/09 2:01 PM (permalink)
                                      The ISH is another way of saying The SH*T.

mar52

Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/4/09 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                        Lovely

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                          Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/4/09 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                          IntelligentT82

Golly gee! I've always thought PETA was the way to say that.

That'sMyDawg

• Total Posts: 421
                                            Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sun, 12/6/09 8:15 AM (permalink)
                                            wheregreggeats.com

Couple Robbed At Gunpoint For Chicken Robbers Point Gun, Demand Box Of Chicken JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The search is on for a team of crooks who robbed an Arlington couple at gunpoint for their takeout Popeye's chicken.

According to police, a young mother was leaving her shift after closing the Popeye's restaurant in Arlington on Atlantic Boulevard when she noticed she was being followed home.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/19133276/detail.html

Yes it is! By far my favorite place to eat. I would kill for that chicken, and those biscuits leave every other chain in the dust. I would drive 100 miles on a quarter tank of gas and smack my mamma iuf she tried to keep to herself how good that chicken is lol!

brinklley

• Total Posts: 34
                                              Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/9/11 8:16 AM (permalink)
                                              Popeyes is so good I am not going back to them.......
                                              Service was awful, the batter soaked up too much grease.
                                              The tables where dirty, staff was out front smoking and talking on cell phones on what we thought was their break after we went in they came in waited on us, all the customers were unhappy you could hear the chatter at the tables but no-one complained.........
                                              <message edited by brinklley on Fri, 12/9/11 8:22 AM>

brinklley

• Total Posts: 34
                                                Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/9/11 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                                Tacoma Washington Kentucky Fried Chicken, all you can get here is hot & spicy I asked for extra crunchy like the good ole days and I was told it goes by what zip code I am in when I order...

<message edited by brinklley on Fri, 12/9/11 8:26 AM>

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Fri, 12/9/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  I was turned off the last time I visited Popeyes, even though I really like the flavors.

The wait for already prepared food was way too long with only one person ahead of me.

THEN...  I watched them squeeze the red beans and rice out of a huge plastic bag into their cooking pot.  YUCK.

Some things should be hidden from the public.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sat, 12/10/11 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                                    Our local Popeyes does a good job on their spicy fried chicken. Nothing fancy at all. We don't try to compare it to the better restaurant fried chicken...Huber's for example, but it stands above the other FF chicken stands in this area. I usually devour several of the handier pieces while making the pick-up and home delivery of a large takeout box !

I used to enjoy El Pollo Loco's citrus dipped grilled chicken when we lived 'Out West'. The only weakness to their Chicken
                                                    was that now and then when they were busy, we would get some pieces that were "Medium Rare" as in pink in the middle. But when it was done correctly their chicken was quite tasty.

Sundancer7

Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sat, 12/10/11 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      We have several Popeye's around Knoxville.  They just recently opened one in Maryville, TN, just a few miles from my residence.  I was going to stop by when they first opened but the crowd was enormous with cars lined up a block or more and I went inside, folks were lined up forever.  I left.

I enjoy their spicy chicken and their dirty rice and biscuits and I occasionaly go there.

I agree with Al that Hubers which is not far from Al's residence was very good.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

MiamiDon

Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sat, 12/10/11 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        Michael Hoffman

IntelligentT82

Golly gee! I've always thought PETA was the way to say that.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
                                                          • Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                          Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sat, 12/10/11 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                                          mayor al

Our local Popeyes does a good job on their spicy fried chicken. Nothing fancy at all. We don't try to compare it to the better restaurant fried chicken...Huber's for example, but it stands above the other FF chicken stands in this area. I usually devour several of the handier pieces while making the pick-up and home delivery of a large takeout box !

I used to enjoy El Pollo Loco's citrus dipped grilled chicken when we lived 'Out West'. The only weakness to their Chicken
                                                          was that now and then when they were busy, we would get some pieces that were "Medium Rare" as in pink in the middle. But when it was done correctly their chicken was quite tasty.

Ditto on El Pollo Loco Al, wish one was nearby!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                                            • Location: McKinney, TX
                                                            Re:Is Popeye's THAT Good ??? Sun, 12/11/11 8:21 AM (permalink)
                                                            GeoNit

Popeye's customers in Ontario are also complaining about the recent toned-down spicyness of its chicken and some of its side dishes:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/609566

Boy, are they right.

Once upon a time (the early 1980's) Popeye's not only had some real "heat" in their chicken, they also served up a good measure of "heat" in their red beans & rice and onion rings.

As that was their primary "product differentiation" I am shocked that they have gone bland!  Truly, they have thrown the baby out with the bath-water.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com