Is Taco Bell that bad?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/12/05 17:32:43 (permalink)

Is Taco Bell that bad?

Yes it is. I can reall the early 60s when the first Taco Bells began to open in Metro L A after they came south from their origins in the San Jose region, that's when they had the "mission" style location look. They were fairly good back then, not a franchise yet-still a regional chain. In the late 60s as high school students we used to go there on late Friday nights to cure our munchies as we could get 5 tacos for a buck, that's right 5 for a dollar was the Friday night special, then again gas was 30 cents a gallon. By the mid-70s they began their decline as they went national and franchise.

Nowadays if I get the urge for a taco or something like that on the raod and there only fast food places, I'lll take Del Taco anytime, any day over Taco Smell aka Taco, heck even a Jack in the Box taco is better. Back in the 1960s and 70s Jack in the Box was way better than it is now when it was a small Califas chain, it hit rock bottom in the 1980s during their "meat scandal" but managed to survive and now are flourishing once again

37 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/05 19:20:31 (permalink)
    no.
    That'sMyDawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 08:06:46 (permalink)
    jonjax71

Yes it is. I can reall the early 60s when the first Taco Bells began to open in Metro L A after they came south from their origins in the San Jose region, that's when they had the "mission" style location look. They were fairly good back then, not a franchise yet-still a regional chain. In the late 60s as high school students we used to go there on late Friday nights to cure our munchies as we could get 5 tacos for a buck, that's right 5 for a dollar was the Friday night special, then again gas was 30 cents a gallon. By the mid-70s they began their decline as they went national and franchise.

Nowadays if I get the urge for a taco or something like that on the raod and there only fast food places, I'lll take Del Taco anytime, any day over Taco Smell aka Taco, heck even a Jack in the Box taco is better. Back in the 1960s and 70s Jack in the Box was way better than it is now when it was a small Califas chain, it hit rock bottom in the 1980s during their "meat scandal" but managed to survive and now are flourishing once again

I used to love the Bell and eat there weekly with my family until a few years ago there was a story about them and their grade "d" quality meat as in good enough for animal level. we stopped on that day and have not been back since. I don't know what has changed if any but the story just ruined everything for me.  Grade A for me. nothing less.

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3439
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 11:00:42 (permalink)
    Well...if you live in a place that's never heard of Del Taco or Jack in the Box, then Taco Bell is the only option for fast food "Mexican" fare.  We do have a local place that's a lot better, but WAY more expensive.  I suppose your perspective changes when you live in California.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 14:04:12 (permalink)
    jonjax71

Yes it is. I can reall the early 60s when the first Taco Bells began to open in Metro L A after they came south from their origins in the San Jose region

Like McDonalds, Taco Bell's origins are rooted in San Bernardino.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 15:01:45 (permalink)
    never been overly fond of Taco bell but since they give away a fee chalupa to fans at the game when the Trailblazers score over 100 points at a home game i've been there on more than one occasion. Prefer the independent stands but the food is edible.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 15:14:27 (permalink)
    In the past couple of years we have seen a rapid expansion of Mexican food stands here in the Louisville area. I find that many of them are quite a bit better than Taco Bell ever was. 

However, that said, I look forward to visiting a JIB anytime we are in an area where they have survived...and spend $5 for a bunch of the greasy tacos I love so much becomes close to an obsession on a roadtrip !
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 16:54:38 (permalink)
    Down here in South Fl, we had a local taco chain called Taco Viva start up back in the late 60's that went national. Through the 70's they were heads and shoulders better then the rest. Seems like when they started expanding into malls and shopping centers away from their restaurant buildings they went down . I'm not sure if they are still around, but the company that took over Miami Subs was running a food court operation under that same name in some malls from what I gather. So many of these places started out really great and gradually turned into mediocre operations, reheating and serving prepackaged comissary slop in the name of efficency and profits. Guess fast food got too fast.

Interesting thought though. There's already several generations that have grown up eating some of this swill accepting it as a reference standard. I wonder of some of these chains actually went back to the original prep, if it would be accepted in the market place by their target demographic?
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 20:43:14 (permalink)
    enginecapt

jonjax71

Yes it is. I can reall the early 60s when the first Taco Bells began to open in Metro L A after they came south from their origins in the San Jose region

Like McDonalds, Taco Bell's origins are rooted in San Bernardino.

Thanks for pulling my coat on this, I have no doubt you are correct, I don't know why but I seem to recall that they came down to So Cal from San Jose as in the mid 60s when I got my driver's license and started doing the fast food thing, my running mate who was originally rom San Jose was the first to tell me about it, perhaps that's why I assumed they were from Saint Joseph
    harleytexas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/06 22:53:40 (permalink)
    Here is the truth behind the grade d meat story that people seem to believe

http://www.epicportions.com/2009/12/02/taco-bell-grade-d-meat/
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/11 23:02:37 (permalink)
    DawnT

Down here in South Fl, we had a local taco chain called Taco Viva start up back in the late 60's that went national. Through the 70's they were heads and shoulders better then the rest. Seems like when they started expanding into malls and shopping centers away from their restaurant buildings they went down . I'm not sure if they are still around, but the company that took over Miami Subs was running a food court operation under that same name in some malls from what I gather. So many of these places started out really great and gradually turned into mediocre operations, reheating and serving prepackaged comissary slop in the name of efficency and profits. Guess fast food got too fast.

Interesting thought though. There's already several generations that have grown up eating some of this swill accepting it as a reference standard. I wonder of some of these chains actually went back to the original prep, if it would be accepted in the market place by their target demographic?

Dawn, not sure if this is the same Mexican Joint you refered to, but they're about to open here in downtown West Palm Beach.

From the www.palmbeachpost.com dining section, plus me seeing this place being built up on a daily basis..

WEST PALM BEACH, FL-- There is one less place to get a bite to eat at CityPlace.La Salsa, 
    across from Publix, has closed.
    Another Mexican-themed restaurant, Taco Vida, is set to take its place.

post edited by UncleVic - 2009/12/11 23:03:44
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/11 23:22:17 (permalink)
    UncleVic

DawnT

Dawn, not sure if this is the same Mexican Joint you refered to, but they're about to open here in downtown West Palm Beach.

From the www.palmbeachpost.com dining section, plus me seeing this place being built up on a daily basis..

WEST PALM BEACH, FL-- There is one less place to get a bite to eat at CityPlace.La Salsa,  
    across from Publix, has closed.
    Another Mexican-themed restaurant, Taco Vida, is set to take its place.

One thing is Taco Viva-long live taco and another is Taco Vida-taco life

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 06:18:33 (permalink)
    DawnT

I remember them.  Also, Tacos Ole.  I was disappointed when they disappeared, leaving Taco Bell.
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 08:24:55 (permalink)
    jonjax71, here's a cool Taco Viva commercial for their "really big burrito": (is that the right Taco Viva?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2m-IqWDkNY

MiamiDon, do you have any recollection of how Tacos Ole went under? From what I can gather they were bought by Taco Viva...is that right?

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 13:04:45 (permalink)
    I think you may be right.  If I recall correctly, the Tacos Ole near to my home changed into a Taco Viva.  This was quite a while ago - maybe 25+ years.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 13:35:35 (permalink)
    We have a few mom and pop Mexican places here in Versailles, and one is very good.  I don't think Taco Bell is that bad and I wish I had that option here when I want something fast and for less $. 

We used to have a Taco Bell that was part of a Super America, and I hated to see it leave.  I like their 7 layer burrito and the fiesta or volcano burrito (whatever it's called).

Andrea

Andrea
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 16:12:03 (permalink)
    Hmmm. Think I remember seeing Tacos Ole. Wasn't there one Bird Road past the Palmetto heading west? The building is still there with a Mexican restaurant inside and there's a garden statuary place (Berta's?) next door.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/12 18:23:59 (permalink)
    Close.  It's east of the Pimento, somewhere between 62nd and 72nd.  Yes, that is the place that I first had tex/mex/american food in about 1970.   I had no money then, and did not go often (maybe once).

In the late 1970s, there was one in Miami Springs or Virginia Gardens  on 36th street across from the airport.

I lived  and/or worked next to the Doral for about 13 years.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/12/12 18:26:13
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/13 01:39:02 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Close.  It's east of the Pimento, somewhere between 62nd and 72nd.  Y

Love that nickname for the Palmetto Fwy-ooops Expwy. My wife and I have been going to  Miami once a year for the past 21 years-since her parents moved there in 1988. Living in So Cal, the capital of freeways I always get a kick of the lack of freeways/expressways in Metro Miami and Broward. The Palmetto is a joke,  it has ben constanty under expansion/repair for the past 15  years or so and it is always way behind and causes massive traffic problems. The infra structure of Fl is a joke, the price one pays for no state income tax. My cousin works for Cal-Trans- the freeway authority of California, almost every single highay innovation or signage seen on interstates and other states' highways and biways began in Calif decades ago. Anyway my cousin was part of the team of Cal Trans engineers that was hired by FL to study the horrendous interchange of north Miami Dade county where the Palmetto which is north/south then turns east/west interesects with I 95 and state road 441. After carfeully studying the layout, Cal Trans bowed out and did not make a reccomendation as they said it was beyond repairing so Fl devised some kind kind of overpass that cost taxpayers millions of $$ and didn't help the confusing and absolutely crazy interchange.

I don't understand why FL is one of the few states that doesn't have a slow traffic to the right law and why they don't have a law prohibiting 18 wheelers and cars with a tow from driving in the number one lane, the fast lane to the left. Construction and repairs on FL hiways is done in a hilarious manner because of it being non-union workers and performed by corrupt construction companies

I fear for my life at intersections in Miami, amber lights mean speed up, as soon as the opposing street turns amber the drivers are honking for you to proceed. I have never seen such crazy driving as I have seen in Metro Miami. Turn signals are  rarely if ever used, folks slow down when merging into higways instead of speeding up to freeway speed. Year after year Miami ranks number 1 or 2 with Boston for worse drivers as listed by the AAA. In So Flo, when an ambulance or fire truck turn on the lights and sirens, instead of pulling to the right and slowing down, drivers race the emergency vehicle and then get behind them to take advantage of their speed. Worse part of it is that the law enforcement agencies don't enforce the laws encouraging drivers to continue breaking the law 
    post edited by jonjax71 - 2009/12/13 01:43:00
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/27 23:32:56 (permalink)
    Having had Jack In The Box tacos lately, if you would choose them over Taco Bell, brother I would like to know what you have been smoking!  Mushy, ground beef like stuff in deep fried taco shells with too much cheese, and nothing to garnish them with but hot sauce, are you kidding me?
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/27 23:44:39 (permalink)
    You obviously don't get the concept of JitB taco love:

1. They're so bad they're good.
    2. They're one of the few things that haven't changed one iota in the last 40+ years.
    3. Many of us associate them with the post-drinking pigouts of our callow youth.

We JitB taco fans know where to go to get real tacos... especially those of us who live in the Southwest... but sometimes a real taco won't feed the beast.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/28 09:12:46 (permalink)
    enginecapt

2. They're one of the few things that haven't changed one iota in the last 40+ years.
    3. Many of us associate them with the post-drinking pigouts of our callow youth.

We JitB taco fans know where to go to get real tacos... especially those of us who live in the Southwest... but sometimes a real taco won't feed the beast.

I guess White Castle is not out there.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/28 09:52:20 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

enginecapt

I guess White Castle is not out there.

exactly!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7766
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/28 09:52:57 (permalink)
    JitB are just great.

Unless you drive through a place that doesn't cook them all the way.

Ever get a cold one?

The kind you don't drink?

TB tacos are usually broken before you even try eating them.  They just don't taste as good as JitB tacos.
    boilermaker
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/28 10:41:19 (permalink)
    How I miss Del Taco! My regular breakfast was a beef burrito and fries. Go to Taco Bell and ask for a beef burrito and they look at you like you're from Mars
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 983
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/28 13:54:03 (permalink)
    I miss Taco Cabana where we used to eat in Houston. Taco Bell is dreck. Even Taco John's is marginally better than Taco Bell.

I generally eat at the local family owned taquerias where I can get barbacoa, lengua and el pastor tacos on fresh corn tortillas and menudo.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2009/12/29 12:43:28 (permalink)
    About 2 years ago, in this area, TB changed their meat recipe. They added some kind of filler. I hate it. Not sure if this happened everywhere or not? Does anyone have any info on this subject?
    Joe
    TenPoundHammer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2010/01/12 13:46:58 (permalink)
    I actually like Taco Bell. The meat isn't perfect, but I think that the specialty tacos (volcano, for instance) blend the ingredients well. The plain tacos aren't all that great since there's so much freaking cheese and lettuce, but yeah. I just can't stop eating Taco Bell!
    lonewolfette9847
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2010/01/12 22:24:07 (permalink)
    Taco Bell is okay, I'm just not a fan of the amount of sodium used in everything (& I'm also very picky--most of the menu I'd have to ask them to hold something).

There's a local Mexican restaurant that has a few scattered venues called Hot Harry's Fresh Burritos ("Freakin' Fast, Always Fresh").  REALLY good food & a lot for a decent price.  Unfortunately, the two venues closest to me have horrible parking options!  Otherwise, I'm sure I'd go a lot more often than next to never that I do now. :P

http://www.hotharrysburritos.com/
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Is Taco Bell that bad? 2010/01/13 18:06:28 (permalink)
    Until Del Taco makes it to the east coast I'll have to settle for Taco Hell and making my own at home. Plus now, with the fresco menu, I will always be eating healthy and losing weight at Taco Bell...er...nevermind. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1