Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs

Author
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
2007/12/06 14:17:41 (permalink)

Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs

Here's the thing....since wife and children are around more often, the wife seems to think that we shouldn't be eating Dogs as often as I would like. So they end up getting frozen. Other then the specialty trips when a meal is planned, the house Dog is Bests' from the local supermarket. What I have a problem with is defrosting. She puts them in the microwave, which I feel is terrible. Actually she'll cook them that way for the kids. We could defrost in the microwave also but again I think it changes the Dog to rubber. I like to pan fry, but when they are frozen they burn too quick. I have tried to slash them along one side or acoss to get some heat in there but I don't know. I could just take them out and let them defrost, but that makes me a bit worried also. Any thoughts?

24 Replies Related Threads

rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 14:39:27 (permalink)
    JD, you and I are thinking somewhat alike. I truly enjoy hot dogs! Yes we freeze the puppies. We live some 70 miles from a grocery store. A large pantry and freezer space is very important. NOW, I agree with you, the microwave isn't the best method to thaw.
    I tend to be a "plan aheader", none of them "O S!!! moments.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 14:44:39 (permalink)
    Thawing the package in water doesn't take very long. I find the micro ones that come with the bun convenient and tasty in a pinch.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 14:54:59 (permalink)
    The packaged hot dogs (a la "Bests") which you buy are already cooked. If you so desire, you can eat them right out of the package. It's perfectly fine to freeze them...
    Wintem01
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 15:03:01 (permalink)
    If I were you, I would freeze them in whatever quantities you normally make them. That way your not thawing out the whole package when you only need two or three.
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 17:01:51 (permalink)
    Although I don't know if CSD endorses it,
    I think it is absolutely OK to freeze dogs!
    I do it ALL the time.
    For the best results I just throw them totally rock hard frozen
    into simmering water until they are warm and everyone is happy!
    DO not pierce or slice them or you will release their wonderful juices.
    If you're not making the whole package you can pry a couple off with a butter knife.
    If it's just one for the kids I might let them microwave it,
    but I personally don't like the way they turn out-
    (what can I say, I'm pickier than an 11-year old..)
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 17:08:58 (permalink)
    Certain brands of frankfurters do not freeze well. The taste and texture are off when defrosted and grilled/boiled/steamed. The one frank I had problems with was Sabrett all beef natural casing sold in five pound packages. I'm sure many other franks are fine after freezing and thawing.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/06 17:30:30 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Natural casing hotdogs,like Thuman's or Schichaus(Spelling?) freeze very well, but when freezing it's best to cacuum seal in a seal-a-meal bag...When defrosted they are good as knew..even many,many months later...Hey that's a good dinner idea..got to defrost a Thuman's now!
    Lee
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 15:21:05 (permalink)
    Why would you freeze a Hot Dog in the first place? And thawing it out by boiling it just isnt right. A Hot Dog can be grilled, fried or BBQd nothing else. Boiling a hot dog is just wrong. It is almost as bad as putting KETCHUP on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM this is what Dirty Harry has to say about it. Have fun Russ
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8474
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 17:03:47 (permalink)
    I have never thought not to freeze them.When Hebrew Nationals are on sale, I buy a bunch and throw them in the freezer....no one has ever complained of the taste.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 17:04:36 (permalink)
    If you freeze the Dog, he'll stop barking.
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 18:33:20 (permalink)
    Vacuum sealing your dogs or any food for that matter is the way to go.

HDK
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 18:51:13 (permalink)
    when pan cooking- put a little oil in the bottom of the frying pan and add water- dog gets steamed and then when water evaporates- it gets crispy on the outside- can even start with a frozen dog- just put a cover on the fry pan to start with and then take off cover and let water evaporate....
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 19:10:07 (permalink)
    Sure you can freeze them but why would anyone want to as they have such a long shelf life?

Actually, I am more interested in the microwave aspect. Almost everything they tell you that you can't do in the microwave can be done with good results, if you pay close attention and know your particular microwave.

I have done every sort of hot dog in the microwave, from high end natural casing to budget dogs. Once you get the timing down for your particular microwave and dog they will come out perfect every time.

This aspect of cooking has more to do with the science of cooking rather that the art of cooking but both are involved. I do recommend defrosting in the refrigerator rather than the microwave as you will have less complication and a better result. The key words here are plan ahead.

I suggest doing one dog at a time, try 40 seconds or less. You can always do them more if needed, but if you over do it you can't take it back. The rubber factor in the microwave comes from over doing things. Every time.

By the way, listen to your wife. All those dogs are no good for you. Tonight I am having homemade beef stew, all done in the microwave with no dishes as I use disposable cooking containers, serving plates and bowls. Maybe it isn't the Ritz, but if done right it makes for good marital relationships.
    Noodles & Cheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 19:59:19 (permalink)
    Without a doubt, microwaving dogs are not a good idea.
    I think in the very near future; reports, will spell out microwave health hazards.

Best to plan ahead, and take those weenies out of the freezer, the day before they are required. Defrost in the fridge and grill up a beauty. It is all about quality.Yum!
    Greyghost
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 20:27:49 (permalink)
    Noodles and cheese come out excellent in the microwave. Try it.

By the way, I bet you have a cell phone. The radio frequency that goes right through your brain is in the microwave spectrum. I would be more concerned about that than food cooked in a microwave.
    Noodles & Cheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/07 20:42:57 (permalink)
    Sorry! no cell phone.
    Wife has one for emergencies, though.

Ever notice, how fast food out of the micro, cools.
    I do use the micro, it is a convenience that is hard to be without, but all I am saying.......more and more reports are pointing out hazards. With the amount of cancers nowdays, who knows what is or isn't good for you." />
    Greyghost
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/08 18:49:40 (permalink)
    N&C,

I don't have a cell phone either but the wife and kid each have one. Seems we both share a distrust of these things. For many years I also distrusted microwave ovens. Over time and with quite a bit of research I began to trust the microwave. Some time ago, I decided to use it to its full potential and began experimenting.

I agree we seem to have many unexplained health problems in the modern world, but I believe and hope the microwave oven is not involved since I do so much of it.

Some of the things I really worry about are GMO products, power plants burning coal depositing mercury and other pollutants everywhere, an FDA that is a joke, cell towers spreading microwave RF to everyone whether they own a cell phone or not and proven poisonous products from China. To name a few.

Actually, I think the microwave oven pretty is pretty safe compared to other challenges of the modern world. I also think the microwave is a pretty "green" way to cook. They only heat the food using minimal energy reducing your energy bill and thus reducing pollutants from power plants.

I do respect your concerns though and hope I have not given you even more things to worry about. You are a thoughtful poster...keep them coming.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/12 16:38:21 (permalink)
    Go ahead and freeze 'em plan ahead and give them time to thaw naturally..
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/12 17:13:10 (permalink)
    I agree that putting dogs in the microwave is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as putting a cell phone in the microwave.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/12 17:15:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I agree that putting dogs in the microwave is pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as putting a cell phone in the microwave.

Do long distance rates apply?
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 610
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/12 17:31:54 (permalink)
    The thing is, as long as a package is sealed, it stays good for an awful long time.
    Where I have a problem is when the package gets opened, and not ALL of the dogs are consumed.
    They can then get kind of ..slimy..rather quickly,
    so those are the ones I toss in the freezer in a ziploc for another day.
    Better than ending up tossing them in the trash.

Also I tend to keep a couple of reserve packs in the freezer too, especially if they have gone on sale
    Mine are always kosher beef- the only kind worth spending $ on IMHO
    Usually Hebrew National, but I'll go for other brands too.
    Michigander
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/13 09:21:02 (permalink)
    While I don't recommend it, this guys approach is probably preferable to the microwave.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/hotdogs
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/13 09:30:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michigander

While I don't recommend it, this guys approach is probably preferable to the microwave.

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/hotdogs

This is the way I cooked Hot Dogs in my dorm room 27 years ago. Works great but be carefull. Used to make toast with a coat hanger and a hot plate like in the movie Blues Brothers. Be safe I dont think these methods are UL approved. ....Russ... Also if you do this to a whole pickle it will glow in the dark
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Is it OK to freeze Hot Dogs 2007/12/13 23:40:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

when pan cooking- put a little oil in the bottom of the frying pan and add water- dog gets steamed and then when water evaporates- it gets crispy on the outside- can even start with a frozen dog- just put a cover on the fry pan to start with and then take off cover and let water evaporate....

Thats basically what I was going to say. The dogs served at my wifes sandwich shop are REALLY good (there they simmer them and nuke just before serving)in fact they are a staple of any large gathering we have so we buy a case(or 2) any leftovers I wrap in sandwich paper 2 at a time then in foil and freeze. When its time to cook them I use a small frying pan with a couple tablespoons of water and a dollop of bacon grease add the still frozen dogs and cover. Cook for a couple minutes until the dogs soften and remove the cover, the water burns off and the dogs crisp up in the grease (just keep them rolling).

The dawgs (4legged kind) really like a frozen dog treat especially on a hot day
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1