Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners.

Author
JustGarlic
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
Flagged as Spam (1)
2014/07/16 23:12:19 (permalink)

Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners.

No, not owning a restaurant, though that might be true too....  but I have a place near me that has been about 7 different restaurants in the last 7 years. Some of them have lasted less than 4 months, and the longest that one has stayed in place is about 18 months.

Is it ego that makes someone think that they will succeed, where so many others have failed in the recent past?

This particular place is now a diner for the 3rd time, has been a BBQ joint, 2 pizza places, and a wing place.... and a Greek restaurant.

Is it ego?

4 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4330
    Re: Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners. 2014/07/17 10:12:57 (permalink)
    No, it is stupidity.

Some locations are just bad locations where not even a Peter Luger's or Franklin BBQ could succeed.  Here in booming McKinney, TX there is a location where Ruby Tuesday, TGIF, and the elsewhere wildly successful Twin Peaks have failed.

The landlord of such a 'stinker' location is incentivized to offer generous amounts of 'free rent' at lease inception.  This attracts the stupid.

These folks just foolishly put a seven figure build-out into a loser location (three failures in seven years, including a Ralph & Kacoos) in nearby ultra-prosperous Allen, TX.  Even though they enjoy excellent visibility from the mighty Central Expressway, they are "on the wrong side of the frigging light", thus failing 'location 101'.  I guaran-damn-tee that this joint will close inside of a year after their 'free rent' concession expires.

Stupid.

Though I must concede that aggressive stupidity must have a pretty strong ego component.
    mattbau43
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners. 2014/07/21 14:54:47 (permalink)
    Everyone thinks that it is easy to run a restaurant. They probably like to cook and their family "loves everything that they make".

Little do they know that making a hobby into a job often kills the enjoyment.

Oh yea. 80+ hours a week are not so easy either.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2535
    Re: Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners. 2014/07/21 15:16:02 (permalink)
    The people in the Restaurant business that know what their doing make it look easy. The ones who think it's easy find out the hard way. This is the hardest business to succeed in, many fail. People love the feeling they get when everyone loves their food. This business takes years experience, it not fun until you have all the answers to all the questions. I was in this business 19 yrs before I started my own, I'm happy I waited until the time was right............pnwc
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4330
    Re: Is it ego? A question for restaurant owners. 2014/07/21 15:28:45 (permalink)
    And I'll bet you selected your location with extreme care -  absent any thought such as "Where can I open on the cheap?".
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1