Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many.

Author
SHADYCREEK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/05/09 17:36:53 (permalink)

Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many.

I have always picked morels and just sold them to family or gave them away. This year we have over 5 gallons in the freezer in baggies already and only went out looking twice. Will they be ok there till I decide what to do with them? I use to give them to my dad, but he passed away last year. My husband and I do not eat them we just love to pick them. I am sure someone will want to buy sooner or later but I hope its ok to freeze them. Does anyone Know?

I live in the Turtle Mountians of North Dakota.

13 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 17:40:17 (permalink)
    Shadycreek, I sure do wish you would send some of those down to Knoxville, TN. They are hard to find in the Tennessee Valley but I have found a few.

You are in possession of my favorite mushroom. I envy your position.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 17:57:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SHADYCREEK

I have always picked morels and just sold them to family or gave them away. This year we have over 5 gallons in the freezer in baggies already and only went out looking twice. Will they be ok there till I decide what to do with them? I use to give them to my dad, but he passed away last year. My husband and I do not eat them we just love to pick them. I am sure someone will want to buy sooner or later but I hope its ok to freeze them. Does anyone Know?

http://www.bayoubill.com/recipes/morels.html

http://www.mykoweb.com/recipes/mn_may92.html

http://thegreatmorel.com/recipes2.html

http://missourifamilies.org/FEATURES/nutritionarticles/nut48.htm
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5045
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 18:29:48 (permalink)
    I have "mushroom envy".
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 18:33:46 (permalink)
    quote:

Shady, Dry them. It's the absolute best way to preserve the flavor and texture.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 19:31:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:

Shady, Dry them. It's the absolute best way to preserve the flavor and texture.

Too late now.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 19:57:23 (permalink)
    I'd be honored to offer you freezer space! I love mushrooms and have never eaten a morel.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/09 20:52:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

I'd be honored to offer you freezer space! I love mushrooms and have never eaten a morel.

Rick: Good to see you back in action. I hope they got you fixed up OK?

If Shady must to send you some morel's to store in your freezer, you might have some visitors.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    SHADYCREEK
    Junior Burger
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 09:15:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies everyone... went out again last night and picked a couple more gallons . We are finding some that are golden in color. That is strange for us. I have looked at some photos on the internet and other have picked the golden ones. Are they safe, or are they just yellow from to much water or maybe they froze? I have no idea, I took a few photos , wish someone could tell me if I should throw them away... will be waiting for a reply.....

Shady.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 09:31:57 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks for the replies everyone... went out again last night and picked a couple more gallons . We are finding some that are golden in color. That is strange for us. I have looked at some photos on the internet and other have picked the golden ones. Are they safe, or are they just yellow from to much water or maybe they froze? I have no idea, I took a few photos , wish someone could tell me if I should throw them away... will be waiting for a reply.....

Shady.

I cannot help you there Shady but if in doubt, don't. Some fungi's are toxic as some of my college friends from long ago found out.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 12:29:22 (permalink)
    quote:

Shady.

Really gold? Some of the white ones look yellowish and the brown ones are sometimes lighter than others. Never saw a golden one and can't find my mushroom book . . . my library is currently packed up.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 14:38:03 (permalink)
    Maybe this website will give you some help on ID'ing morels. I have had the dried and they are pretty tasty when soaked for a bit. I no longer work with the person who was my "morel mule" so I haven't had any in a few years. Now a good puffball..... YUM!!!!

http://www.morelmania.com/index.html
    SHADYCREEK
    Junior Burger
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 16:21:27 (permalink)
    THANKS KLAND.. I JUST SENT A EMAIL AND PHOTO OF THE MUSHROOM TO THAT WEBSITE. MAYBE THEY CAN HELP ME....
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Is it ok to freeze Morels I have to many. 2006/05/10 16:38:17 (permalink)
    This thread is making me drool.. We FINALLY are going to get about 5 days of rain starting this evening. If this dont wake them little buggers up, nothing will..

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1