Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed???

Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
2005/06/17 23:47:34 (permalink)

Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed???

Is the "Ice Cream Man" a daying breed??? I live about 12 miles North of the Indiana Michian Stateline, there is only one ice cream company in all of Southwest Michigan and Northen Indiana that sell Ice cream by using "ice cream man"! This company is in South Bend Indiana, covers an area within a 50 miles radis of Soth Bend, and sells only ice cream bars, fudge sticks, drum sticks, pushups, etc. and etc.

Has other areas and/ or regions have more than one company doing this?
Are we exception to the rule? Or aare we the rule?

Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed?

13 Replies Related Threads

Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 00:24:42 (permalink)
    Apparently not: In Memphis, TN, an ice cream man was arrested this week or last for selling. . . mmmm, "illegal herbal medications" from his vehicle.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 05:35:54 (permalink)
    First i hear the barking dogs, then the screams of joy. Yeah we've got an ice cream truck {noisy} but it's not like the old ones. This one is a late model truck that's pretty big. I'll check it out sometime. Must cost a fortune to run that freezer 24/7.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 10:03:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    garryd451 Posted - 06/17/2005 : 23:47:34
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is the "Ice Cream Man" a daying breed???

Gee I hope so!!
    Read the latest news stories on what the "Ice Cream Man" has turned out to be...........

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Ice+Cream+Man&btnG=Search+News
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 12:10:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gee I hope so!!
    Read the latest news stories on what the "Ice Cream Man" has turned out to be...........

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=Ice+Cream+Man&btnG=Search+News

" /> Let's not judge all ice cream men by the actions of a few bad ice cream men........

We have a local ice cream truck once again, but it's a far cry from the ones I remember growing up in the early 1960's. Instead of a Dairy Clipper in a custom stepvan complete with an ice cream machine and the ability to whip up any DQ treat, the ice cream truck I saw the other day was a beat-up blue van playing music with a home made sign on the side, there's no way they could have sold more than frozen ice cream bars, it looked kind of sad actually.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 12:11:37 (permalink)

The Ice Cream Man is alive and well here in western Pennsylvania. Several vendors troll the streets right around dinnertime (and after) in an attempt to spoil childrens' appetites for beets and spinach. Ha!

However, one vendor drives me crazy-the music coming out of his loudspeaker is Turkey in the Straw! Five minutes of that and that song stays in your head for weeks!!!!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 12:25:37 (permalink)
    There are a lot of ce cream trucks here in Portland. I work wirh two people who own ice cream trucks.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 13:08:18 (permalink)
    I haven't seen an 'ice cream man' in this area since I was about 8 years old (I'm 30 now). Too bad really...I can remember the excitement when you heard the music from a truck or even the bells on one of those bicycle contraptions. That mad dash to extract money from your parents before he left your block was the first exposure most of us had to serious negotiations carried out under a tight deadline...it was a real life-skill builder.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 13:17:42 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Gee I hope so!!

http://news.google.com/news?

hl=en&ned=us&q=Ice+Cream+Man&btnG=Search+News

I can go to any search engine and find the same type of articles about Doctors, teachers, ministers, clowns, boy scout leaders, and etc., are You hoping all of these are a dying breed? I feel sorry for people that can find bad in everything!!

I was really hoping this topic would be constructive, not a bashing of the Ice Cream man!!!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 13:42:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    garryd451 Posted - 06/18/2005 : 13:17:42 I can go to any search engine and find the same type of articles about Doctors, teachers, ministers, clowns, boy scout leaders, and etc., are You hoping all of these are a dying breed? I feel sorry for people that can find bad in everything!!

I was really hoping this topic would be constructive, not a bashing of the Ice Cream man!!!

I'm so sorry to have denigrate your topic but, the "ice cream man" has been in the news with bad press so often these days. ........... as far as going into a search engine to look for bad thing about the Ice cream man, well I didn't. All I did was enter this word "ice cream man" and every story that popped up was a negative report. It is a sign of the times Garry, it is sad indeed, and all I was trying to do is find some humor in a changing world.
    My apologies................... Frank
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/18 13:52:10 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    garryd451 Posted - 06/18/2005 : 13:17:42 I can go to any search engine and find the same type of articles about Doctors, teachers, ministers, clowns, boy scout leaders, and etc., are You hoping all of these are a dying breed? I feel sorry for people that can find bad in everything!!

I'm so sorry to of denigrate your topic but, the "ice cream man" has been in the news with bad press so often these days. ........... as far as going into a search engine to look for bad thing about the Ice cream man, well I didn't. All I did was enter this word "ice cream man" and every story that popped up was a negative report. It is a sign of the times Garry, it is sad indeed, and all I was trying to do is find some humor in a changing world.
    My apologies................... Fra
    Hiram Callahan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/21 18:50:51 (permalink)
    One of the many ways that New York is strangely old-fashioned is that the ice cream man is still a regular feature here. Many work from carts selling the packaged treats, but a particular favorite is "Mister Softee" and his many knock-off competitiors, who sell soft ice cream from trucks. The original has a particularly notable jingle, which led to a flap last summer when Mayor Bloomberg threatened to silence them for alleged noise offenses. His Honor, like many recent arrivals to town, was frustrated in his efforts.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3901
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/21 19:16:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

I'm so sorry to have denigrate your topic but, the "ice cream man" has been in the news with bad press so often these days. ........... as far as going into a search engine to look for bad thing about the Ice cream man, well I didn't. All I did was enter this word "ice cream man" and every story that popped up was a negative report. It is a sign of the times Garry, it is sad indeed, and all I was trying to do is find some humor in a changing world.
    My apologies................... Frank

Where is the Good Humor Man when we need him!
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Is the "Ice Cream Man" a dying breed??? 2005/06/21 23:20:46 (permalink)
    We had Mr. Softee in our area. There was a Mr. Softee truck in a local junkyard a while back and though I always planned to take a picture of it, I never got around to it. I can't even remember which junkyard it was in anymore, only that it was clearly visible with it's fading paint and logos. Few things in life made me run faster than hearing that music. I could cross the neighborhood in record time. The only thing I remember buying were push-ups, which we now call freeze-pops. They're still one of my favorite summertime post-grasscutting treats.
    We have a new ice cream man, but his music has no charm whatsoever. In fact, now that I work nights I hate the sound of it. I'm getting to be a real old poop.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1