Is the line at Shake Shack worth it??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2008/04/19 10:38:47 (permalink)
Robearjr,

NYNM's theme throughout this thread is trying to figure out why so many people are willing to wait on line for so long a period of time. What has not been brought out is that this is not the only place in the neighborhood to eat or get takeout. A two block stretch of 23rd Street at the southern boundary of the park has a food establishment in just about every storefront. There are many other places to eat or do take out within a 3 minute walk from the Shake Shack. Plenty of paid journalists have written about the place, but no one has profiled who the patrons are. The place is in a small public park, so they really can't take over more parkland. My reply was in response to this post of NYNM:
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

OK guys Shake Shack seems open for the 2008 Summer Season. I passed today about 6:30 pm and there really was a huge (HUGE) line: as you may know, there is only one window open (and one for ice cream/custard) and service is pretty slow because burgers are cooked to order. Anyway, I counted OVER 100 (hundred) people waiting on one line!!!!

I have tried their burgers now 3 or 4 times, and I am not that impressed. They seemed pretty thin, almost like McDonald's so you have to order a "double" to get anything substantial. This 100+ line has got to be an hour's wait. For a burger.

I don't get it. PR???
Robearjr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2008/04/19 11:17:26 (permalink)
I understand the context. I just think the cost - waiting in a line to talk to people about why they are waiting in a line - is far greater than the benefit - finding out why said people are waiting in said line.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2008/04/19 11:50:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Robearjr,

NYNM's theme throughout this thread is trying to figure out why so many people are willing to wait on line for so long a period of time. What has not been brought out is that this is not the only place in the neighborhood to eat or get takeout. A two block stretch of 23rd Street at the southern boundary of the park has a food establishment in just about every storefront. There are many other places to eat or do take out within a 3 minute walk from the Shake Shack. Plenty of paid journalists have written about the place, but no one has profiled who the patrons are. The place is in a small public park, so they really can't take over more parkland.

Yes David, that is exactly my theme. It is the old market researcher in me. I work on W. 20th so I see this and other street behavior every day. I really like to compare Shake Shack lines (Hipsters, Yuppies) to the gyro cart line (construction workers) a block away. Not to mention Jamba Juice, three sandwich shops, etc. on 5th Ave bet. 22 & 23, then at 20th, Bravo Pizza which also has a line out the door and Epicurean Gorumet (where I usually go) next to Bravo. I don't even go on to 23rd which I know has lots more Lunch time is wild!!!

Personally I find Shake Shack the most obnoxious.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3746
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/21 11:49:41 (permalink)
This must be the week where I resurrect three-year old threads.

There was a Roadfood Digest article recently that discussed that Shake Shack was moving into Connecticut, with their first store in Westport.  Today's New York Post (the Weekly World News of New York dailies, for sure) is reporting that Shake Shack is in negotiations to secure a location at the Grand Central Terminal in the dining concourse.

I LOVE the dining concourse at Grand Central.  If I were building a mall, that whole section, taken as a group, might make the single best food court in the United States.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 412
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/21 12:40:43 (permalink)
Is the Shake Shack at Saratoga Race Track as good or as bad as the one in NYC?

Walt
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/21 13:37:43 (permalink)
waltpiii

Is the Shake Shack at Saratoga Race Track as good or as bad as the one in NYC?

Walt

Don't know, but the one at Citi Field (I'm calling it Shea) is close to original if that is any help. Seems to me they are trying hard to keep quality the same.
michaelcarraher
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/27 13:23:35 (permalink)
Are the lines still this bad at the original location?
What are lines likes at the other (newer) locations?
Are the burgers, custards, hot dogs, etc ... as good at the other locations?

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/27 13:55:06 (permalink)
I went to look at the Shack Cam for the original location, but I can't figure out where the line goes.  Maybe the camera needs re-aiming.

The line on Miami Beach is not nearly as long as I have seen in photos from the Madison Square Park location, although it was a bit crazy when they first opened.

No, I haven't eaten there.  It's always been the wrong time of day, or rainy or too hot or I was going to a meal elsewhere!  Anyway, I've never eaten at the original, so I couldn't compare them.
D'oh!  I just figured out this an ancient thread.
post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/07/28 07:53:10
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/28 03:17:44 (permalink)
I was at NY a few months ago with my son and we hit up the one in the city for a couple of Root Beer floats and the line was pretty crazy. I'd say a half hour wait for a burger. Burgers looked pretty good from what I could tell though.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10207
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? 2011/07/28 03:45:41 (permalink)
If they were in any other city without the human density of a NYC would they make it? My guess is probably not. They would be just an average hamburger stand. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1