Is there a real bakery near you?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
linus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/03/17 07:49:48 (permalink)
We're blessed. We have elmwood bakery, a tiny storefront operation that's been there longer than I've been alive. I believe since the late forties.
They have wonderful datenut cake with a very soft, fluffy frosting that's almost like sweet whipped cream. They do a lot of ethnic bakery, polish kolashke, jewish rye bread, as well as ecliars, donuts and the like. Two unusal things we love are their pecan sheets,a thin pastry baked then covered in chopped nuts and sugar, and a kind of boston cream pie made in an individual serving.
No website, this is an authentic old country bakery. Everything made in kitchen behind the store.
buckeye1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/04/15 03:13:21 (permalink)
Carlton - I know it's an old post about Cleveland bakeries, but maybe you were thinking about Lelolai Bakery on West 25th by the West Side Market? It's famous for flan and other Hispanic delicacies. [url]www.lelolaibakery.com[/url]

The other bakery near the market is Farkas Pastry Shoppe, on 27th and Lorain, a Hungarian bakery known for nut rolls and European tortes. Too bad it's only open on Friday and Saturdays. [url]www.farkaspastries.com[/url]

Someone mentioned a bakery in Little Italy, which has to be Corbo's - they make the best cassata cake I've ever had [url]www.corbos.com[/url]

I guess we're lucky in Cleveland, because I can think of many more little ethnic bakeries in Slavic Village, Parma, and Cleveland Hts. Of course, nothing replaces the old standard Hough Bakeries, the home of all my childhood birthday cakes. I've heard that one of their employees has a bakery on the east side that uses old Hough recipes, but I've never made it there.
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/05 18:00:27 (permalink)
Being in Upstate NY we are blesed with many fine Bakeries, Bella Naploi in Troy NY and Latham NY and Vanilla Bean in Latham NY, these 2 are both great.
Pep-O-Mint
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/05 19:10:36 (permalink)
My favorite bakeries in this area (St.Paul, MN): Roseville Bakery is a good, old fashioned bakery. Not upscale in the least but very, very good cakes. We get all our family birthday cakes there. I think some of their stuff is brought in, but they'll let you know what's made there if you ask.

For a little more upscale, I love Woulett's on Grand. Their cakes are good, too but almost literally twice the cost of Roseville. Woulett's rocks for Butter Boys, Brownies Enormous and Cherry-Cheese Crowns.
Leania_1stone
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/05 20:48:26 (permalink)
I haven't seen a real one before I live just outside of Seary, Arkansas and I've been searching for one to make a cake for my sons first birthday in 2 months (can you believe it's been a year) there was one called Cakes & Creations but they closed...unfortunately searcy is known more for it's fast food than any bakeries..ugh if anyone knows of one lemme know ok?

Thanks
Crystal
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7843
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/07 03:23:09 (permalink)
Ed, Ralph's Grocery in the Valley is now selling some of the pastries from Diamonds! Poppy Seed Mandel Bread and Chocolate Rolls!

There is a great Mexican Bakery in Glendale that you have to stand in line it's that good. I'm thinking that the pastries are more Italian though.

Doesn't matter to me what kind they are... they are delicious!
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/07 08:46:02 (permalink)
Rambach's on Cornelia St in Plattsburgh, NY fits the definition of a real bakery very closely. All sorts of in-house baked goods, great donuts, cakes, pies, as well as some more sophisticated stuff asc well.

Wally
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1087
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/07 09:57:34 (permalink)
Most of the bakeries here in Columbus, OH are now along the lines of Panera Bread or some other national chain. However, there are still a few great local ones around. The Goodie Shop in Upper Arlington is known for having the hard to find salt risign bread as well as some really good cinnamon sticks. Auddino's Italian bakery over next to the fairgrounds has really good sub buns and pizza dough. And Mozart's bakery and cafe (3 locations) has some of the best pasteries I've ever tried.

Hey Mark in Ohio, my father will be thrilled to see you mentioned the New Systems Bakery in Chilicothe. He grew up in that town and that bakery is one of the few places that has remained open from his youth. He tries to go every time he is in town.
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/07 11:11:10 (permalink)
Well, here on Long Island, we have plenty of neighborhood bake shops, but they ARE dwindling - many of my long time favorites have closed, due in part, I would guess, to the full bakeries which are popping up in the big grocery stores (Waldbaum's, Stop and Shop, King Kullen's).
But, there are still enough here so that we choose the bakery depending on what we're shopping for! For pastries, one shop; for breads, another; for cakes, still another.
Yes, we have awful traffic, suburban sprawl, ridiclously expensive housing, taxes that would make anyone cringe....but bakeries, we've got plenty of 'em!
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/07 11:22:16 (permalink)
Another on in Chicago's North Shore suburbs is:

Il Mulino
530 N Sheridan Road
Highwood, IL 60040

847-266-0811

This is a family run bakery featuring Italian breads, cookies and pastries. Excellent quality.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/19 00:52:50 (permalink)
Portland has at least two excellent bakeries. Delphina"s Bakery makes excellent breads and tasty pastries. Also very good sandwiches. Delphina"s Bakery makes great cakes, cookies and other treats. Annie"s Donuts is a wonderful donut shop.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/20 15:57:26 (permalink)
To my knowledge, Knoxville, TN has no independent bakeries. We got Walmart who does some baking and Sams who does some baking and the local chain grocery stores but not artisan bakeries that I am aware of.

I sincerely wish we did. We have a small bakery on Kingston Pike that also does some Cuban food but it is somewhat off and on. I understand the owner may have been ill recently.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
sauceman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 184
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/20 16:03:21 (permalink)
In the Northeast Tennessee town of Greeneville, where I grew up, there's the Peggy Ann Bakery, in business since the 1950s. They're known for their cream horns, bachelor buttons, Danish pastries, doughnuts, and salt-risen bread.

Fred Sauceman
Johnson City, Tennessee
Rapunzll
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/20 16:30:38 (permalink)
We have Potter's here in Traverse City. They make fantastic cakes and donuts and their butter cookies are to die for.

It's funny though, but one of the grocery stores locally has a great bakery dept and we used to always get out birthday cakes there!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18380
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/20 16:32:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

Most of the bakeries here in Columbus, OH are now along the lines of Panera Bread or some other national chain. However, there are still a few great local ones around. The Goodie Shop in Upper Arlington is known for having the hard to find salt risign bread as well as some really good cinnamon sticks. Auddino's Italian bakery over next to the fairgrounds has really good sub buns and pizza dough. And Mozart's bakery and cafe (3 locations) has some of the best pasteries I've ever tried.

Hey Mark in Ohio, my father will be thrilled to see you mentioned the New Systems Bakery in Chilicothe. He grew up in that town and that bakery is one of the few places that has remained open from his youth. He tries to go every time he is in town.

Don't forget The French Loaf on West Fifth and La Chatelaine on Lane Avenue.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/25 22:01:22 (permalink)
Smyrna, Georgia (suburban Atlanta) has McEntyre's Bakery, which has been in Smyrna for around fifty years. The father and sons are third and fourth generation bakers and they seem to be doing very well. My retail store was next door to them for twelve years and I was constantly amazed by how many customers they have. The fact that I have never been disappointed in anything I have bought from the over the past twenty years may explain their success.

Last month a 23 year old woman opened a bakery (Krystalins Bakery) very near my home in NE Cobb County, across the street from Lassiter High School - her alma mater. What I have tasted so far is quite good. It will be interesting to see how well she does. She is offering a wide range of danishes, muffins, bars, cookies, breads, pies, quiches, tarts and cakes - but she doesn't open until 8am. The late opening misses many people on their way to work, in my opinion. McEntyre's, mentioned above, opens at 6:30am so that they can catch those people on their way to work.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 717
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/07/26 17:35:18 (permalink)
Fortunately, there are some good independent bakeries left in St. Louis.

On The Hill, there are the Italian bakeries Missouri Baking and Vitale's. Around South City there's La Dolce Via, Carondelet (since 1875), Dad's Cookie, Black Bear (wonderful pumpernickel and rye). In South County there's Federhofer's, Lubeley's, and MacArthur's. Wei Hong and El Chico for the ethnic touch. Pastries of Denmark for the West County set. There are several more I'm sure, plus several independent doughnut places.

http://www.carondeletbakery.com/
http://www.ladolceviabakery.com/
http://www.dadscookies.com/
CaryMG
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/08/27 09:16:25 (permalink)
Just 20 Blocks Away -- "Gruenebaum's Bakery" In New York City.
http://gruenebaums.com/

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/09/07 12:28:44 (permalink)
I grew up in Syracuse, and everyone knew these facts:
Donuts and Pies at Harrison Bakery
Wedding Cake at William's Bakery Dept.(store is now gone, bought by Peter's Grocery)
Italian Bread at Columbus Bakery
Cakes, Donut's at Partician's Snowflake Bakery
Italian Cookies!!! Canolli's, at Bella's Bakery (Moved to Baldwinsville, NY)

and some other good local places,
but I have to say, I can get it all at Wegman's, especially fruit tarts, specialty cakes, and other gourmet baking. They hire a pastry chef at every new store, and the artistry is quite impressive.

Thankfully, Wegman's is now in the DC area!

Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/15 14:18:43 (permalink)
The one thing I truly miss about my hometown: Burke's Bakery in Danville, KY. I grew up on their gingerbread men: the best in the business. They also make fresh a wide assortment of cookies and pastries, as well as fresh baked doughnuts every morning.

I lived almost right above the place for a while, and was working the 11-7 shift at a local nursing home. The smell as I was coming home - oh, the SMELL! - was just enticing, overpowering, and irresistable. Even the half price day old doughnuts were scrumptious. I always had to make a pit stop there before I went to my place upstairs.

They also bake all kinds of breads and pies. And I can't forget the butterflake rolls. They practically melt in your mouth.

There is no bakery here that is half as good as Burke's.
marberthenad
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/16 10:06:53 (permalink)
I grew up in a European family bakery that my brother has since taken over. Alas, in DC, there are none that I have been able to find, except for the Heidelburg pastry shop, which is good on the pastry side, and is ok on the bread/bakery side. There are a couple of decent small chains - Corner Bakery being one of them -- but I find the prices really high. The Heidelburg Pastry shop in V I would really like to know if anyone has found others in the DC metropolitan area.

tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1976
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/24 10:10:48 (permalink)
I found a web site for a bakery that I mentioned earlier in this thread. www.wrightsdairyfarm.com They do a great job.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/24 11:29:54 (permalink)
Marberthenad, the best I've seen in DC are Marvelous Market and Firehook, mostly in the yuppier neighborhoods of NW. They are on the expensive side, but really much better than the Corner Bakery. Bread and Chocolate is also not bad (Chevy Chase, DC, and Capital Hill), but the service is uneven. There was a truly sincere, old-fashioned bakery called Heller's north of Tenleytown, but they folded within the last couple of years (neighborhood is jinxed, I think). Too bad...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/24 12:09:01 (permalink)
DCtourist: I've got some co-workers who know of 1- a good jewish bakery, and 2- a good italian bakery.
I think both of them are out today, so once I catch up with them I ask.

They've brought stuff into work several times for special occasions from these bakeries, and it's good stuff.

and I agree that Tenleytown is jinxed, but it'll turn around with all those new condos. It's one of the last metro stops in NW to not have the restaurant, coffee shop, deli, etc. boom that other places have had. But then, UDC/Van Ness isn't all that great either. If it wasn't for the Calvert Woodley store, I don't think I would've ever been to that stretch on Connecticut Ave.

I notice a couple of new restaurants in Tenleytown the last time I was there...maybe a month ago.

lunasatic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 283
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/24 15:23:50 (permalink)
I just listed Atwood's Bakery in Alexandria, LA in the Roadfood Logbook-my review is "pending approval". They've recently started serving a soup/salad/sandwich lunch menu (both excellent and resonable), on top of being the only full-service bakery in the Cenla area that still makes thumbprint cookies with pecan flour and has a full-service coffee bar. They also make & sell their own gelato in 8 or ten different flavors. It's one of our favorite hang-out-and-munch places. If anybody's interested in more details just call 'em @ 318-445-5134!
dctourist
Cheeseburger
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/24 17:24:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

DCtourist: I've got some co-workers who know of 1- a good jewish bakery, and 2- a good italian bakery.
I think both of them are out today, so once I catch up with them I ask.

They've brought stuff into work several times for special occasions from these bakeries, and it's good stuff.

and I agree that Tenleytown is jinxed, but it'll turn around with all those new condos. It's one of the last metro stops in NW to not have the restaurant, coffee shop, deli, etc. boom that other places have had. But then, UDC/Van Ness isn't all that great either. If it wasn't for the Calvert Woodley store, I don't think I would've ever been to that stretch on Connecticut Ave.

I notice a couple of new restaurants in Tenleytown the last time I was there...maybe a month ago.

Bring 'em on! Musings re. Tenleytown - Angelica's pizza in Tenleytown is not bad (small chain). It's a little south of there, almost north Georgetown, but Cafe Ole is great. Oh, and Yosaku's sushi is fabulous. Never liked TwoJay's/Krupin's/whatever it's called now. Stay away from Neisha Thai.

I never understood why Van Ness is so dead, in contrast to Cleveland Park. Is it really that demographically different?
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/25 10:42:59 (permalink)
I think Van Ness is dead, because of the types of business that were there...furniture shops, offices, electronic stores, and the school crowd never brought much business in, probably because it's such a commuter school.
Demographically, it's the same. If you look at the houses off of Connecticut Ave from Cleveland...heck from Woodley to Chevy Chase, it's all the same. There is absolutely no change in demographics. It's just the type of businesses that grew in Cleveland Park (restaurants) vs. those in Van Ness (furniture, electronics, etc.)

I love Yosaku's sushi. It is good!
The only Thai I eat in NW is Fourty-Nine Twelve on Wisconsin Ave (4912)
IMO, that's the best Thai in NW. Much better than Jandara.

Angelica's is definately Georgetown, if I have the right place...next the Chinese restaurant?

I like Kavanaughs Pizza Pub on Wisconsin (Faccia Luna), and a little place called Cappuccino's also on Wisconsin Ave in G'Town.

Tenleytown has a couple other interesting places too, like the Dancing Crab (although Bethesda crab shack is better) and Guapo's. Which isn't great food at all, but their Margarita's and happy hour is a deal and a half.

If you've never been to the Calvert Woodley for wine, cheese and meats, you should really give it a try. Between C-W and Pearson's, you can find a host of wine steals.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/25 13:41:24 (permalink)

OK, the jewish Bakery in the DC area is out in Germantown called Katz Grocery.
It's just the bakery in the jewish grocer.

The good thing about Katz is that none of the baked goods have either meat or dairy, so you it can be used for any kosher meal. (On the other handm there's no dairy...which means no butter)
But this is a good kosher bakery with some pretty good stuff.

My co-worker warned, "the workers are a bit snide."
I guess customer service is not their strong suit.

I'm still working on that Italian bakery where we had the italian cookies from.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/25 13:43:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

The only Thai I eat in NW is Fourty-Nine Twelve on Wisconsin Ave (4912)
IMO, that's the best Thai in NW. Much better than Jandara.

Angelica's is definately Georgetown, if I have the right place...next the Chinese restaurant?

I like Kavanaughs Pizza Pub on Wisconsin (Faccia Luna), and a little place called Cappuccino's also on Wisconsin Ave in G'Town.

Tenleytown has a couple other interesting places too, like the Dancing Crab (although Bethesda crab shack is better) and Guapo's. Which isn't great food at all, but their Margarita's and happy hour is a deal and a half.

If you've never been to the Calvert Woodley for wine, cheese and meats, you should really give it a try. Between C-W and Pearson's, you can find a host of wine steals.

Love C-W liquors - esp. for their bagels and cheese "treasures." They have great sales, too. Angelica's is right by Whole Foods and Starbucks in Tenleytown. Who woulda guessed about 4912! Will have to check it out. Thanks, neighbor!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/10/25 15:41:46 (permalink)
Ah yes. I know the place (Angelica's) that you're talking about. I haven't been there. I may give it a try if I'm in the AU neighborhood and need a slice. I can't recall the name of the pizza place I was thinking about, next to Safeway attached to a chinese restaurant.

I didn't know C-W had bagels! next trip, for sure. thanks for the nugget!

Pearson's (on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park) has some great wine deals too. You can sign up for their email listings and email pricing.
Steve does a great job buying great wines for a steal and passing the savings along.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1