Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Is there a real bakery near you?

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 71 of 71
HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Tue, 10/25/05 4:50 PM (permalink)
http://childspastryshop.com/ in Denver makes excellent cakes and pies.

The http://www.thebageldeli.com/ has a great bakery, not to mention excellent homemade meals. I highly recommend this place if ever in this area.

Sandy Thruthegarden

• Total Posts: 624
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Fri, 11/4/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
    There's a small bakery chain (3 stores) in Northern Kentucky called Emerson's that produces wonderful cakes, coffe cakes, pies and cookies. The crumbcake is scrumptious. The cookies are rich with butter. Mmmmmm.

Speaking of chains, however, I think that Panera turns out great sticky buns.

tophersl912

• Total Posts: 2
      RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 1:37 AM (permalink)
      A great bakery in the Akron area is Linda's Kitchen. They make all kinds of baked goods. Their website is [url]www.lindaskitcheninc.com[/url]

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
        RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 2:32 AM (permalink)
        Yes - two great bakeries here in Healdsburg: Cousteaux since 1923 fantastic bread and delicious desserts, and Downtown Bakery; great breads but even better scones, sticky buns, tarts, cakes and pies - as well as the bonus of house made ice cream! I can walk to both from my house - a curse and a blessing.

caratzas

• Total Posts: 216
          RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 8:07 PM (permalink)
          Does Carvel count? I think they got rid of that horrible "Ice Cream Bakery" tag line they were using for several years, thank G-d.

Seriously, there are several here in the greater Bridgeport area, including Jewish, Italian and Portuguese.

My current no. 1 is Billy's Bakery on Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield, Ct. Billy's started out as a small artisinal boulangerie with a limited selection of pastries to boot. They've since expanded and offer a more complete selection of baked goods, including what on a good day are the closest thing to real bagels in this neck of the woods. It's nice to be able to get real bread for a change -- the difference in general bread quality between CT and NY (Westchester County) is scandalous.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
            RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
            Anyone think the hours are an issue for young people continung in their parents' bakeries? Early morning work....

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
              RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 9:59 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Baah Ben

Anyone think the hours are an issue for young people continung in their parents' bakeries? Early morning work....

No.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Sun, 07/20/08 10:00 PM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                I've only got a minute.
                When I first glanced at this topic, I glossed over the obvious... that while there isn't an old-school bakery here, there are two boutique bakers (including one, Luna Bakery, that takes the leftover grains from the local Terrapin Brewery and makes an out-of-this-world spalt bread!) and a Mexican one. I haven't been to the Mexican place, nor have I to Big City Bread (I can't eat sugared bakery products, so I have to be v-e-r-y careful in what I choose, if anything).
                Right now my participation here is hampered by short library hours, but I am cleaning up my house slowly but surely in lieu of chattering away on my usual myriad of useless and pointless subjects (tee hee!). Let me try to mosey by the Mexican place... it's on Prince Avenue in Normal Town... and let y'all know what's there -- if I can refind this thread!
                Relurkingly, Ort. Carlton in Lovely Athens, Georgia.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                  RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Mon, 07/21/08 9:09 AM (permalink)
                  Here in the metro Boston area we are fortunate with many long time from scratch bakerys. I am also seeing a new trend in specialty type bakers also. Cup cakes only, pies only, bread only and so on.
                  The cost of the product has sky rocketed recently though. I'm not sure how much longer the average consumer is willing to pay $25 bucks for a pie or $4 bucks each for a cup cake. The loaf of bread that last year was selling for $1.50 is now over $3 bucks. Time to feed Mildred, my starter.
                  Chow Jim

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Mon, 07/21/08 9:36 AM (permalink)
                    My brother's best friend's family owned a bakery around us up until 5 years ago. Everything that they made was top shelf quality, but eventually he had to sell it because it was getting too hard to compete with the big supermarkets. I really loved their black and white cookies...

avalon83

• Total Posts: 122
                      RE: Is there a real bakery near you? Tue, 07/22/08 9:25 PM (permalink)
                      No - in fact, I would be eternally grateful if someone knows a good bakery in northwest NJ and would alert me!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 71 of 71

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com