Is there a real bakery near you?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
2004/11/30 13:11:09 (permalink)

Is there a real bakery near you?

The bakery biz has been tough for the last 20 years what with diets and in supermarket bakeries. There are not a lot left, and most of those just cook/finish a frozen shipped in product. Butler's Donuts in Westport Mass, or Wright's Dairy in RI are the types of places that I am thinking about as being "real".

70 Replies Related Threads

Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 13:23:43 (permalink)
    We just lost ours, dammit! Firehouse Bakrey at the intersection of Rts 2 and 8 in Norridgewock Maine. Very well thought of, a couple of national magazine wrtie-ups, and great doughnuts at 0500. They were doing fine, but the folks just got tired of getting up early. Closed last week. very sad.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 13:26:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

The bakery biz has been tough for the last 20 years what with diets and in supermarket bakeries. There are not a lot left, and most of those just cook/finish a frozen shipped in product. Butler's Donuts in Westport Mass, or Wright's Dairy in RI are the types of places that I am thinking about as being "real".

There are several bakeries near me, although not one of them is a doughnut place. There used to be a Dunkin' Doughnuts not too far away, but it shut down several years ago.

Whoops, I forgot, there's a Tim Horton's about a mile down the road.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 13:32:56 (permalink)
    There are plenty of Bakeries and Donut Shops here in Rhode Island!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2013
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 13:37:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

There are several bakeries near me, although not one of them is a doughnut place. There used to be a Dunkin' Doughnuts not too far away, but it shut down several years ago.

Whoops, I forgot, there's a Tim Horton's about a mile down the road.

I never thought of a Dunky as a "real" bakery. I just thought that they were money machines!!! I am surprised to hear that one closed down.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 13:43:06 (permalink)
    My town is 80% Mexican, and there are numerous small Panaderias dotting the city. The bread, rolls and sweets that come out of these places are to die for. The Pan de Leche (Milk Bread) rolls are the next best thing to my late Georgia Grandmother's yeast rolls. You will find no better cookie than the sticky, golden brown mounded macaroons that come from a Mexican bakery.
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 14:08:12 (permalink)
    There is a true bakery out near where we live, on the west side of Columbus, called The Old World Bakery," and it is just that. They have the yummiest items on earth. Seldom see a small "Mom and Pop type" bakery anymore. We try to shy away from baked goods in the supermarkets, donut shops, etc., but when we want a real bakery treat, we head for Old World.

Donna
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 14:18:24 (permalink)
    See, I don't think of doughnut shops as being bakeries: doughnut shops make doughnuts, and bakeries make breads and rolls and cookies and things like that. They're two different things.

That said, there's no shortage of either in my immediate neighborhood. I live just a few blocks from Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline, which is just a tiny little place but has developed a reputation as possibly the best bakery in the entire Boston metro area. They specialize in breads of the giant crusty loaf style, although they also do both a mean baugette and an absolutely exquisite pullman loaf, not to mention excellent dinner rolls. But mostly I go there for the pastries: croissants, brioche, pain au chocolat, the best oatmeal raisin cookies on earth, raspberry almond bars, fruit tarts, miniature pound cakes, monkey bread, sticky buns, and this utterly magical thing called a bostok, which is a thick slice of brioche topped with frangipane and sliced almonds and toasted. They've also been developing a line of savory pastries: the gruyere croissants and the ham and cheese pinwheels are amazing.

Also in the neighborhood, there's Twin Doughnuts, which some people rate highly and I think is absolutely nothing special, and a pair of Asian bakeries, one of which specializes in buns and those rice-flour crullers (my father-in-law is utterly mad for those) and another of which that does those too but also specializes in those big sponge cakes with the fresh fruit and mousse fillings.

All of these places are less than a five-minute walk away. Slightly further out -- not quite a ten-minute walk -- is Kupel's, on Harvard Ave at Fuller Street in Brookline, which turns out spectacular bagels and bialys. (They also have an excellent line of store-made schmears, my favorite being the Miami Lox, which involves copious amounts of chives.) Unfortunately, I don't get to Kupel's as much as I'd like, because the urge for a lazy late morning bagel breakfast almost always hits on Saturday, when of course Kupel's is closed.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 14:26:33 (permalink)
    We don't have any bakeries here any more but I sure do have fond memories of the ones that we did have. I remember we used to have a Holsum bakery here back when I was a child. On Sunday afternoons, we would go visit my Grandmother and on the way home, we would come by the bakery where they would have just finished baking a batch of bread. We would go inside and buy hot loaves fresh from the oven-they would put it down in a paper bag-unwrapped-one loaf would never make it home-we would eat it by the chunks on the way.
    Then we had a sweets bakery called Pat a Cake-on our birthdays, we would always have a cake from Pat a cake, but the rest of the year, I remember buying cinnamon rolls, Spanish bar cakes, cream puffs and many other specialties.
    Now all we have is the grocery store bakeries - which proabably all use some type of mix or frozen dough.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 15:59:39 (permalink)
    This has been a sore topic for me since I moved south 12 years ago. At least here in Carolinas, bakery means Kroger, Harris Teeter, or Publix. No such thing around here as "neighborhood bakery".

I grew up in wonderfully multi-ethnic Pittsburgh, where going to the bakery made necessary the decision of what type of bakery....Ukranian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian? You had them all. Plus we even had two bakery "chains" that would humiliate the best grocery store bakery existing. Favorite Christmas memory was trip to Ukranian bakery in absolutely wretched part of town, but the goods were incredible. Average age of bakery staff was about 75 and majority did not speak English. Haven't tasted pastries, cookies or breads like that since. I would KILL for a good nut or apricot strudel!!!!!
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 16:26:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

This has been a sore topic for me since I moved south 12 years ago. At least here in Carolinas, bakery means Kroger, Harris Teeter, or Publix. No such thing around here as "neighborhood bakery".

I grew up in wonderfully multi-ethnic Pittsburgh, where going to the bakery made necessary the decision of what type of bakery....Ukranian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian? You had them all. Plus we even had two bakery "chains" that would humiliate the best grocery store bakery existing. Favorite Christmas memory was trip to Ukranian bakery in absolutely wretched part of town, but the goods were incredible. Average age of bakery staff was about 75 and majority did not speak English. Haven't tasted pastries, cookies or breads like that since. I would KILL for a good nut or apricot strudel!!!!!

That's really sad. I didn't realize there were places with no real bakeries. Come to the North Shore of Chicago - we have the Deerfield Bakery, which has wonderful cookies and cakes. And in the city of Chicago, on the North Side, the House of Fine Chocolates on Broadway Ave. makes wonderful cakes.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 17:38:39 (permalink)
    danimal is right on with Deerfield's

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2439

there is also Sweet Mandy B's in Chicago. Authentic homemade baked goods.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 18:08:51 (permalink)
    It is sad about the state of our bakeries. We have some excellent bread makers here in Knoxville. I only know of one bakery. It used to be by my house and was run by a couple that graduated from some fancy chef bakery type school and it was excellent. they moved 4 - 5 years ago and I do not know if they are still in business.
    There used to be a neat one in Cleveland, OH on W. 25, right near Farmer's Market, not suire if it si still there. I was at a good one in Newark, DE about 6 weeks ago, right near campus.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 19:39:53 (permalink)
    Here in DFW area lots of places call themselves bakeries they sell Donuts, what they call Cinnamon Rolls and the hottest seller here, sausage Rolls which are cocktail smokies wrapped in dough (for a real treat try the ones stuffed with cheese) I would pay just to walk into a real bakery just for the smell!

I just read about a "real" bakery that opened about 10 miles from my home. It's closed Sunday's???????????????
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/11/30 20:20:37 (permalink)
    quote:

I live just a few blocks from Clear Flour Bakery in Brookline, which is just a tiny little place but has developed a reputation as possibly the best bakery in the entire Boston metro area.

Ooooohhhh you are lucky. They have some FINE breads. My area in NY still has a lot of good bakeries. Many are my favorite kind, Italian bakeries. A good canoli is one of life's great pleasures!

HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 10:09:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

My area in NY still has a lot of good bakeries. Many are my favorite kind, Italian bakeries. A good canoli is one of life's great pleasures!

Have you had the canolis from Fiorlini's? It's a little place in the border zone between Chinatown and Little Italy, on Baxter St. just east of Canal. The canolis are the best I've ever had. Of course, if you know of any better, please let me know. I'll travel far and wide for a good canoli.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 10:25:32 (permalink)
    quote:

*sigh* Now you've got me pining once again for the little donut shop that used to be in Chittanango, NY across from the Pizza Hut. My mother would take me with her early on Saturday mornings to the farmer's market in Syracuse, so we'd pass by at around 5:30 or 6:00 in the morning - soon after the first batch of donuts had finished! The taste of those warm chocolate and cinnamon donuts melting in my mouth is one of the memories I will take intact to my grave.

Is anyone here familiar with Rome, NY? That town has some great Italian bakeries. There's a place on James St. (Rt. 26) that has fantastic canolis - I think it's called Regina's. Just a few doors south of there is a tiny bakery that has the best Italian bread I've ever had. For cake and pastry heaven, though, not to mention phenomenal meals, go to the Franklin Hotel. I could make a meal of their Italian bread and garlic butter alone, and then the main course comes and I'm in ecstasy. Then when dessert time rolls around I move on to a whole new plane of existence. The chocolate torte is my favorite.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 10:30:53 (permalink)
    quote:

Have you had the canolis from Fiorlini's? It's a little place in the border zone between Chinatown and Little Italy, on Baxter St. just east of Canal. The canolis are the best I've ever had. Of course, if you know of any better, please let me know. I'll travel far and wide for a good canoli.

I'll have to try Fiorlini's. I am partial to De Robertis on 1st ave and 10th street. They are especially good on holidays, when things are flying out of there real fast and the shells are always just minutes from the oven!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 12:29:02 (permalink)
    In my neck of the woods (the Los Angeles area) bakeries are still very common. The closest to me is about 5 doors down from where I work-----small, but some good pastries. We have plenty of Chinese bakeries, Vietnamese and Mexican bakeries too. Still my favorites are the bakeries down in the Fairfax area----nothing like some streudel or poppy seed cake fresh from the oven at Schwartz or Diamond Bakery!
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 12:38:58 (permalink)

Everyone should check out the many fine local bakeries still thriving in Pittsburgh, PA and the Western Pennsylvania area.

Here are three of my favorites:

Graham's Bakery in Mt. Lebanon (multiple locations) which have some of the best egg buns I have ever eaten. We bought two dozen for post Thanksgiving day turkey sandwiches. Also great cookies and breads.

Kribel's Bakery-Brookline section of Pittsburgh-great ethnic cookies, nutrolls, New Years "Pretzel" shaped danishes.

Potomac Bakery-Mt. Lebanon and Dormont-great homemade donuts, breads and the BEST WEDDING CAKES in Pittsburgh. The wedding cakes are beautiful and are beyond delicious!!!

Why did I post this??? Now I have a craving for some baked goods!!!

Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 12:43:08 (permalink)
    I was just at this place yesterday - wonderful pies!

http://www.flyingsaucerpieshop.com/

Paulies is a restaurant here in Houston and they make the most delicious and beautiful cookies ever. They sometimes have different bars and brownies too.

A traditinal stop for us when traveling to West Texas is in Llano at the Llano bakery. It has been there for eons and they make these fruit bars that are really different.

I just love the smell of a bakery!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 13:26:52 (permalink)
    I live in St. Petersburg FL and have a number of the old bakeries still around. Just up the street from me is an excellent german bakery called Cafe Mozart. They do an excellent job on pastries, breads, strudels, etc.

There also used to be a bakery on 49th St. N. near Kenneth City who made the best Kringles I have ever had. Unfortunately, he is now out of business due to health reasons and the person who took it over could not make a good Kringle to save his life. Fortunately, his wife of the previous baker now works at Kalupa's in Tampa and they make pretty near as good Kringles. Besides other excellent baked goods.

Tampa has Alessi's, numerous cuban and italian bakeries.

I just wish I had a bakery like the one near my brother up in Michigan City by the name of Truffles. Their butter cookies during the holidays are to die for. My brother ships me down some. Even though they don't ship well, I am ecstatic with what I get.

John
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 13:29:03 (permalink)
    I also have to say the baker on 49th made the best donuts also! If I could get past the Kringles.

John
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 13:39:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

I also have to say the baker on 49th made the best donuts also! If I could get past the Kringles.
    John

John,

This is the place you're thinking of. I know it well.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/22791781.html?MAC=5f2988c9412ab058e71713ad46a1c25f&did=22791781&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=&author=&printformat=1&desc=Kringles+bring+in+the+crowds+Series%3A+STORE+AROUND+THE+CORNER
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 14:14:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

John

John,

This is the place you're thinking of. I know it well.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/22791781.html?MAC=5f2988c9412ab058e71713ad46a1c25f&did=22791781&FMT=FT&FMTS=FT&date=&author=&printformat=1&desc=Kringles+bring+in+the+crowds+Series%3A+STORE+AROUND+THE+CORNER

That is the one Kristi. Unfortunately, Klaus and Phyllis sold the bakery about a year and a half ago. Phyllis is the one working for Kalupa's in Tampa now.

Hope I did not stick my foot in my mouth on this.

John
    Nemis
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 15:18:30 (permalink)
    Here in central ohio if i go to a bakery there is the FRENCH LOAF in Grandview with breads,pastries,tortes and cookies or SUISS SHOP near Polaris along the same lines and I can get my favorite Italian Creme cake at Mr's Goodmans in Worthington. No doughnuts at these bakeries..i look to Krispy Creme (a rare treat) A fantastic big cream puff can be found at Schmidt's German restaurant downtown. There is a great bakery we ran into in Cleveland in Little Italy where they had all sorts of little cookies to choose from, I lOVE that!! LONG live the bakeries of today and yesterday!! ps..Where have all the cupcakes gone??? Franklin Street Bakery in Minn, MN has wonderful cupcakes in their bakery..wish i was there now.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2004/12/01 16:25:50 (permalink)
    Our town has had a hard time keeping a bakery going. There is a place on the edge of town that sells fresh produce and gardening products that now has pretty good bakery. I also just found out we have a Hispanic bakery, I’ve been meaning to get in there and see what’s up. The local Supervalu bakes bread from frozen I believe, I actually think their French bread is the best I’ve had, at least for making cheese bread.

I just purchased a Kitchen Aid mixer as I want to learn how to make my mothers homemade dinner rolls while she is still around, and sane.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/02/06 20:14:35 (permalink)
    [:P]In Chillicothe on Main St. we have the New System Bakery which has been in town probably 50 years or so. Great breads and pastries.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/03/13 23:24:41 (permalink)
    In Durham, NC, Guglhupf is a real, independent bakery, in the German tradition.

Weaver Street Market, in Carrboro, NC and Southern Village, near Chapel Hill, produces its own real organic bread -- good stuff.
    i82much
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Is there a real bakery near you? 2005/03/14 23:15:14 (permalink)
    here is a good one!!
    http://www.marquezbakery.com/

real close to my house
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1