Isaly's - are there any left?

Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4565
2006/06/26 09:01:53 (permalink)

Isaly's - are there any left?

I know the Isaly products (or some of them) are still made and sold in grocery stores.

I've been to the website: http://www.isalys.com/

What I want to know is: are there any actual locations you can walk into and get a sandwich and/or ice cream? In the PBS special[url='http://www.wqed.org/mag/web_extra/0902_sandwiches.shtml']Sandwiches you will like[/url] the producer has a segment on a sandwich called "The Slammer" made at a Isaly's in West View.

I'll be going on vacation next week and passing through Pittsburgh, and would love to snag one of these sandwiches. I know Primanti's is **THE** go-to place, but I'm personally preferring Isaly's from what I saw.

Any and all info is welcome

29 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/26 09:20:36 (permalink)
    TJ, The best source for information on Isaly's would be Brian Butko www.brianbutko.com If any of them are still open, he would know. You can tell him that Howard from Baltimore referred you. If I recall, their specialty was chipped ham, and was featured in the PBS show.

One thing I always have on a visit to Pittsburgh is pizza from Aiello's on Murray Avenue in Squirrel Hill. It's just a few doors from Mineo's which is better known and seems to always be mentioned as the best pizza in town. But I like Aiello's better. Get the slices that are sitting on top of the oven. They are better than a just out of the oven whole pie. Pittsburgh pizza has an incredibly fresh taste and the crust is very yeasty.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/26 09:45:56 (permalink)
    I emailed him, thanks
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3749
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/26 11:02:32 (permalink)
    You know...it never even occurred to me that Isaly's was a product. I am sure that I DID know...but, it was not conscious knowledge. From my younger days as a baseball card collector, I knew Isaly's as these:

Front

Back
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/26 12:59:49 (permalink)
    I'll see if I can attract WJ in here by mentioning that I expect to eat twice (dinner then breakfast the next day) at one of his recommendations: the Summit Diner in Somerset PA

http://www.hollyeats.com/SummitDiner.htm
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/27 14:24:05 (permalink)
    *bump*
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/27 15:40:11 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that the Turtle Creek location is still open, and it's only about 10 minutes from a major East/West interstate. Advanced warning, though, you start out in a nice upper middle class neighborhood and end up in a definitely-still-hurting-from-the-collapse-of-the-steel-industry town.

The Isaly's is in a strip mall that has pretty much emptied out.

There's nothing better than a chipped ham sandwich on white bread, though. When we lived in Ohio, I used to buy two pounds of chipped ham every time we came home. I'd live on chipped ham for that first week.

I'll find out for sure tonight; I've called my Mom who will definitely know. I'll post address and directions tomorrow if it's still open.

~~~~~~~~~~~
    Edit: A source reports that the West View Isaly's is definitely still open. I haven't heard from Mom yet on TC.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/27 21:09:30 (permalink)
    We had an Isaly's in my hometown of Rochester, PA but it's been gone for years. Mom would go in and buy chipped ham and I'd get a Klondike bar. So Mom came to visit me in Boston and since I would be working at noontime, I took her to Lambert's in Dorchester to get some lunch provisions. She says to the guy behind the deli counter, "I want 1/2 lb. of chipped ham". He looked at her like she was from a different planet!! Had no clue what that was. I had to translate. On the way back to my house Mom said, "I can't BELIEVE those people didn't know what chipped ham is!!!"
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/27 21:27:51 (permalink)
    I emailed you as well, Tricky, and thanks a million for the info - but do you have an address and phone number for the west view Isaly's?
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/28 00:05:22 (permalink)
    http://www.brianbutko.com/isaly.stpics.html

448 Perrysville Ave.

Mapquest says its Perry Highway.
    448 Perry Hwy
    Pittsburgh, PA 15229-1819, US
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/06/28 12:08:50 (permalink)
    Thanks to Tricky and Gatorbreath, I now have a date with the Slammer at Isaly's :-)

Thank you both VERY very much!

from Tricky's emails and my subsequent call to them, the West View location is open 6-2 M-Sa (didn't ask about Sunday, sorry, right be open, call first) and still serves the Slammer

Isaly's
    448 Perry Highway
    Pittsburgh, PA 15229
    (412) 931-9994

notable: The store is open til 3, the restaurant closes at 2
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/01 23:08:59 (permalink)
    T.J.,

I'm getting nostalgic. When I lived in Pittsburgh, we had an Isaly's downtown in my suburb, and we'd often stop in after school. If you got a pink slip in your Klondike, you got a free one. Back in my dad's day, the Klondike that got you a free one had a pink center, so if you found it, you had to run back to the story right away.

As far as regular ice cream, the thing about Isaly's was the way they scooped their ice cream. The ice cream in a cone had a "skyscraper" shape, pointed like a rocket. I think if you wanted two scoops, they had a special cone that could hold two skyscrapers.

bbires
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/01 23:12:45 (permalink)
    CHIPPED HAM

Want to know why people bought chipped ham (which is probably now called "shaved ham," sliced so finely that it didn't even come out in slices?

To make that Pittsburgh specialty, ham barbecue: you heat some Heinz Chili Sauce and some brown sugar in a skillet until very hot, then add the chipped ham. Incredible on sandwich buns!

Does any place in Pittsburgh still serve that, or only home cooks?
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/01 23:18:41 (permalink)
    T.J.

I clicked on that PBS link, and having scrolled through the sandwiches, I'd suggest going to Danny's on Rte. 88 for their baked hoagies. That was an incredible place to go when I was in high school, and still the standard I use for a hot sandwich, but nothing ever measures up. Plus, Andy Warhol's grave is not far from there.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/06 10:00:01 (permalink)
    I'm happy to report I did make it to Isaly's, and the Slammer was wonderful

More details in a trip report later
    cocacolafan2006
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/21 18:55:08 (permalink)
    I live right near West View. There is an isaly's right there. Its usually not open much past lunch time, but it serves breakfast and lunch. It's about 10 minutes north of the city. I love Isaly's!
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/07/24 13:48:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bbires

that Pittsburgh specialty, ham barbecue: you heat some Heinz Chili Sauce and some brown sugar in a skillet until very hot, then add the chipped ham. Incredible on sandwich buns!

Does any place in Pittsburgh still serve that, or only home cooks?

I think it's mostly just home cooks. We always use bottled barbecue sauce, though.

quote:
    Originally posted by bbires

I clicked on that PBS link, and having scrolled through the sandwiches, I'd suggest going to Danny's on Rte. 88 for their baked hoagies. That was an incredible place to go when I was in high school, and still the standard I use for a hot sandwich, but nothing ever measures up.

I think it must have gone downhill recently. The sandwiches, while large, are only mediocre and they're expensive. A footlong sandwich is nearly $9, and the bread isn't anything special, the cold cuts are normal deli cold cuts, and it's just kind of "eh". Not bad, but not worth $9.

Sheetzaholic
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/10/15 02:46:11 (permalink)
    There is an Isaly's on East Ohio Street in the Historic Deutschtown section of Pittsburgh's North Side. They still make sammiches n'at. However, a hardcore traditionalist will most likely call this a true Isaly's though it was would have qualified. Still has the name and serves the same function. Plus, the architecture on the street is the worth the visit!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10233
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/10/16 15:10:16 (permalink)
    Sheetzaholic-
    I had no idea that the Isaly's on the Northside was still there until just yesterday. I parked right in front of it for the Steeler game. Do you know if this one is open later in the day than the one in West View? Do they also make "the Slammer"?
    kentstate
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/10/24 21:29:56 (permalink)
    BBires - do you have exact amounts for the Heinz Chili Sauce and brown sugar? I found another one on the internet that uses 1 cup Heinz ketchup and 1 cup classic Coke with 1 pound chipped ham. Now to find somewhere in Phoenix that knows how to chip ham. I grew up in Canton, Ohio and the Isley's downtown was always my favorite. That had to be in the 50's tho.
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/10/31 00:51:53 (permalink)
    We had an isaly's in downtown Cuyahoga Falls for years back in the 50's and 60's. There is still an Isaly's in Stow although it isn't an original. It is called Isaly's II. It is on Rt 59 in the Colonade Bldg. I hear they have a killer breakfast there. Good home fries and bacon. I still remember the original Isaly's up the street. It was the last one to close here in NE Ohio I believe. Those rainbow skyscraper ice cream cones were a favorite. They still sell Isaly's chipped chop ham here in the grocery stores.
    ImtheMom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/11/13 19:36:50 (permalink)
    AUTHENTIC PITTSBURGH CHIPPED HAM BARBECUES

1 14oz Heinz ketchup
    1 T vinegar
    1 T Worcestershire sauce
    1 T water
    2 T Heinz yellow mustard
    2 T brown sugar

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a skillet, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1 lb Isaly's chipped ham. Serve on sandwich buns.

In Pitsburgh, Chipped Ham is still chipped, not shaved. "Chipped Ham" is what it's called and always will be called according to me, although I've been very irritated to see it referred to in writing as "Chipped Chopped Ham" which we NEVER EVER CALLED IT THAT when I lived in Pittsburgh as a Baby Boomer child of the 50's and 60's, although indeed it has always been created from chopped pressed ham that appears in the deli case as a big square of miscellaneous ham parts pressed together. My guess is that some P.C. regulator insisted that they must add the word "chopped" officially now to distinguish it from regular ham. "Chipped Ham" is not the same as "shaved ham" like one finds often in Chicago, a place where "Chipped Ham" is nowhere to be found!!!
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/11/15 04:47:59 (permalink)
    We've always called it chipped chopped ham in my hometown. I read an article from the Pittsburgh newspaper that refers to it as both chipped chopped ham and chipped ham in the same article. And the Isaly website calls it chipped chopped ham. So I guess it was a "Pittsburgh" preference to call it chipped ham. I wouldn't let it stress you out though.

http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A19667
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/11/15 09:11:03 (permalink)
    In Cincinnati, it was called chipchopped ham, and I may well have the spelling wrong. My memories are of having people talk about it - including my mother ordering it as the deli meat counter - rather than labels.

I've not seen it in Cincinnati in many years, albeit I haven't looked hard for it
    sudie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2006/11/15 09:23:56 (permalink)
    Some delis will shave the ham as thinly as Isaly's does, but I have yet to find a ham with the Pittsburgh flavor. We always stop at the Westview Isaly's when in the 'burgh...my husband grew up on that stuff. Interestingly, my recollection of barbecued chipped ham was when it was a couple days old and starting to get a little sticky. My mother-in-law would put BBQ sauce with it and serve it hot on buns. It was pretty good, and none of us got sick.
    tater dickens
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2007/01/27 17:51:03 (permalink)
    T.J. The best Islay's I've experienced to is in Irwin, PA, around 20 miles or so east of Pittsburgh. They have a restaurant, take-out and good bakery on the premises. I live in California and always stop there whenever I visit my brother in Pittsburgh. I grew up eating Islay's chipped ham and Klondike bars in Northeastern Ohio and purchase several pounds of chipped to take back with me to California when I visit. Unfortunately, when I was there last September there was a "For Sale" sign on the storefront door.
    bbires
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2007/01/30 22:01:49 (permalink)
    ImTheMom,

Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try. It's really tough to get anyone here in Chattanooga to shave the ham, though. They all want to cut "sandwich slices," which are way too thick for my taste.
    jbenear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2007/02/19 10:24:04 (permalink)
    We just called it chip chop when I was growing up. I didn't even realize it was ham for a long time! I never buy it. Maybe I should try some again!
    sunnyside up
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2007/02/20 09:34:51 (permalink)
    Having worked at Isaly's for close to 5 years in my youth, I can tell you that the meat used for "Chip-Chop" ham was made by Armour Foods. It came in a 10 pound can that measured 4" x 4" x 12". At the store, we would cut the block of meat in half and place it on a Hobart 1712 automatic slicer. The meat is still made by Armour, but very few deli/groceries have that particular automatic style slicer. If I had a nickle for every pound of that stuff I sliced and packaged, I'd be a rich man today!
    davscool
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Isaly's - are there any left? 2007/03/02 17:11:57 (permalink)
    Hello,
    I'm friends with the owners of the Isaly's in West View, PA on Perry Highway. If anyone needs any info about the place just let me know!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1