It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bigbear
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/01 11:29:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Big Bear---the last time I was there it didn't seem like it was doing well. The dining room felt damp and dreary but the food was good. That was 3 or 4 years ago. I remember when it first opened it was a great place.

Food?..... We don't need no stinkin' food.
larrygeller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/02 12:10:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

DELI KING in Lake Success is no better than OK, but very overpriced. Rather make the trip downtown to KATZ'S and get the real deal.Ron

It's much better than OK. Had lunch there last Monday. It was just fine.
larrygeller
Junior Burger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/02 12:15:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

Anybody remember DAPPER DAN'S sub shop on Union Tpke.?
Yes. We used to go there back in the early '70's. I drove past its' location, on the way to Deli King, last week, and pointed it out to my wife.
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/02 16:28:53 (permalink)
Hello, Larry-
Well, that's what makes this fun; we all have different perceptions.
I never cared much for DELI KING, so I guess it still does not impress me. It doesn't matter why; when you go, enjoy it!
DAPPER DAN'S was always a cheap feed, and for me the best part was the fried onions you could get on top of your sandwich. We could never wait, so we used to eat in the car and the windows would get fogged up in winter.
PS: You didn't go to Herricks, did you?
Ron
bigbear
Hamburger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/05 14:50:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

quote:

I will be visiting up here from Florida for a few months so if y'all can recommend a better restaurant or two in the Babylon (my birthplace) to Huntington area (where I lived for 46 years)I would be surely obliged (that's a little southern senior citizen lingo). Thank you Mr B. Do you remember who the fabulous Mr B was ????????

Maybe while you are up here we can schedule an informal Roadfood get-together? We have a few months as you say. Tony? Scott? Any other current LIer?

I am still up for an informal get-together while the ancient mariner is up from Florida. No takers?

the ancient mariner..... Get-together or not, you might want to try Vittorio's in Amityville. Wednesday night is their steak-night.

http://www.vittorios.biz/default.aspx?PageID=853
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/05 15:36:00 (permalink)
Thank you Big Bear ( your name sounds like you belong to a tribe out west ) (and not west Long Island).
I shall make note of Vittorio's and I appreciate your looking after me. God will be good to you for taking care of old geezers. Since most of my kids are in the Huntinton area Amityville is not so very far away. When I was a boy we would walk that far to go to school, all up hill and barefooted.

Just visited Vittotio's menu and I never saw Oysters Rockefeller on a Roadfood munu before. Thing's are lookin' up. Look's like I will have to save my pennies.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/05 16:33:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kozel

Maybe while you are up here we can schedule an informal Roadfood get-together? We have a few months as you say. Tony? Scott? Any other current LIer?

How about trying http://www.americanburgercompany.com/main.php

Oh, and to answer your question, "Billy Eckstine".

Some how I missed this post about a get together. Count me in.

I don't have any formal list of long islanders, but I know a few.

Lets get this done!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/05 17:00:39 (permalink)
Re: All the above. Welcome to the 21st century.
bigbear
Hamburger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/06 11:35:49 (permalink)
quote:

Just visited Vittotio's menu and I never saw Oysters Rockefeller on a Roadfood munu before. Thing's are lookin' up. Look's like I will have to save my pennies.

Vittorio's is part of that Restaurant.com thing where you can buy a coupon online that will save you some pennies. Just read and understand the rules and leave a tip based on the total price of your meal, not the discounted price. In this case, $10 will get you a $25 coupon.

http://restaurant.com/listings.asp?PageSize=10&Zip=11701&SearchRadius=1&SearchAlpha=V
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/17 17:25:01 (permalink)
Bump
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 828
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/09/29 16:28:05 (permalink)
Mr. Mariner,

I think this thread started with your recollection of Smithtown Haus or Ruoff's. Here is a link about the restaurant that occupies that address now.

http://zgeatssmithtown.wordpress.com/2007/08/01/buteras-65-east-main-street-smithtown/

It's a shame we never got that meet going. My brother knew one of the Ruoff's. Maybe next time.
ROHfan
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/10/03 12:53:58 (permalink)
It ain't the same, but All American is still there in Massapequa and as good as ever. The wife is bringing some home tonite!

One place that's gone which I really miss was Georgia's in Lindenhurst. Best German restaurant on the Island. I used to bartend there and I couldn't wait till they closed the dining room every night so I could raid the kitchen. Sheesh...if Georgia (there really was a Georgia) only knew half the stuff I cooked in her kitchen she would have killed me, then fired me. BEST potato pancakes ever. I've tried for years to duplicate them and can only come marginally close. They also had a great sliced steak sammich not to mention their sauerbraten and smoked pork chops.

ROHfan
MDBBQFiend
Junior Burger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2007/10/03 13:10:13 (permalink)
Does anyone out there remember Al Steiner's Steak House near the railroad tracks in Cedarhurst? My grandfather and his brother owned a store around the corner (Sakoff's) and Steiner's was the place we went for special occasions. In the early 1970's, I remember great shrimp cocktails, steaks, and wonderful service.
Pink Playdoh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 10:12:34 (permalink)
OMG!! Finally, something about McGinnis's on Jericho Turnpike!! I have been looking all over the internet for this place! It seems to have vanished into thin air. The only people that remember it, is my family. I loved that place! Ron, you said it was only around in the 60's? It was still around in the 80's, cuz I remember my grandparents taking me there a lot. I distinctly remember that ferris wheel you mentioned getting trapped in. They looked like little wire cages that you sat in. And I'd aks them if I could sit in the pink one, cuz it was favorite color. It was more of a lavender color, actually. And the roller coaster was awesome!! The food was great too. I remember one time I was begging my mom for a quarter to put in the machines and she wouldn't give me one. So I asked my dad, and he gave me one. I put the quareter in, and got a digital watch! Boy wasn't my mom mad! But she couldnt' say too much, cuz I actually got a good prize, lol. I was wondering if you or anyone else might have pictures of McGinnis's, from back in the 70's or 80's. I really wanna see some. I just recently got a friend request from someone on Facebook, who's last name was "McGinnis", lol. And it immediately brought back memories of that restaurant. So I had to tell him about it, and well, we live in Maine, right now, so nobody knows anything about it. I went back to NY, in August and was all over Long Island, but I couodn't remember where the restaurant was, to go and look for it.  : (   I'm 33 and so is my cousin, who lives out there. And he couldn't remember where it was either. Have they torn it down or does the building still look the same? I'd love to see some pics if anyone has some new or old.   Feel free to email me about it anytime. My email is
Pink Playdoh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 10:25:44 (permalink)
Not sure if I'm doing this right....I want to ask about some other restaurants in Logn Island. Ok, here's my list. Valentinos Pizza, it was in the Lake Success shopping mall, in the early to mid 80's. Used to eat there all the time with my grandparents growing up. It had red ceilings that were like stucco maybe? If that's what you call it. The bumpy kind of ceiling? And it had sparkles in it. I used to love looking up at it when I was a kid. I recently went back there in August and the whole place had changed! Very depressing. There was also a snack bar in there that my parents used to work at, in the 80's. I heard they closed it in and made it part of a store. I think it's where Justice is now. And I also remember another place, called Cookies. Not sure what town it was in, but they had awesome shrimp there. That was the first time I ever tried them. I think it was an all you can eat place. Cuz I remember getting up and walking to a salad bar and putting them on my plate. And another place i wanna ask about is Jans Ice cream parlor. Can't remember where that was either, somewhere on long island. Near a Pathmark I think. It was in a shopping center. All these places were gone. So depressing.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 11:28:10 (permalink)
Hi Pink Playdoh,

You can see the vacant lot where McGinnis was if you go to google maps, get Long Island in the window and type in mcginnis amusement park. It came up as A and when clicked on, had the street view option. Sad. I was only there a couple of times, I think just for food as my amusement park was Jolly Rogers/Happyland in Levittown, waaay back in the day. When I was older and driving, I found McGinnis.

There were several Cooky's but maybe it was the Hempstead restaurant you remember, as it was close to the areas you mention. Click the link below and @23 seconds you'll see that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUo0T3e6Nc0

The last vintage Jahn's closed a few years ago.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19068674

There is still one in Jackson Heights but I'm not sure if it's only in name. We did stop there a couple of years ago on the way to Manhattan and were rushing so I didn't get a good sense of the food. We also had a couple of 14 year olds with us that weren't into the nostalgia thing. I do want to get back and check it out again, at least the ice cream.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 12:48:57 (permalink)
McGinnis - Wow!  That name brought back some childhood memories.  I hadn't remembered that place since they added table linens.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 13:03:23 (permalink)
Anyone remember, Raynor's Chicken Cabin on Sunrise Hwy, in Baldwin? 
Amazing fried chicken and corn fritters. 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 13:10:43 (permalink)
MacTAC mentioned Jahn's. After school, I used to work at the one in Cedarhurst on Central Ave. That was back in 1956.

Also, does anyone remember Garbarino's Italian restaurant? It was in a House in Lynbrook, I think. Great Italian food.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 17:46:39 (permalink)
Twinwillow

Anyone remember, Raynor's Chicken Cabin on Sunrise Hwy, in Baldwin?  
I only tried the short lived Centerport branch. I remember it being good.

The log cabin in Baldwin is now occupied by an Ayhan's Shish-Kebab. I like Ayhan's in Plainview and Port Washington...

MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 17:56:49 (permalink)
Twinwillow

MacTAC mentioned Jahn's. After school, I used to work at the one in Cedarhurst on Central Ave. That was back in 1956.
This may look familiar to you...

http://www.foresthillshig...s/Jahns/photo002_f.jpg

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2010/11/16 18:12:20 (permalink)
McGinnis on Jericho Tpke------Stephen that was a great place, if I am not mistaken it was a spin off from the one in Sheepshead Bay or Coney island--forget which.  When Ray was at Chaminade I often stopped there for a burger or a dog.  Kids had things to do---rides etc. ----but like all of Long Island it went down hill--Mineola still have some good places I understand.. 

irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2011/06/13 15:15:29 (permalink)
Hi-
I'm giving this thread a bump- 
out here in L.I. for a week- working in Manhasset, staying in Westbury-
Looking for dinner rec's esp seafood-
Did Peter Lugers- mmmmmmmmmm
will be back 7/5 thru 7/15
Thanks 
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 331
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2011/06/13 15:47:14 (permalink)
I grew up in Port Washington, right next to Manhasset!  Suggest Louie's in Port Washington for seafood. 
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2011/06/13 20:32:17 (permalink)
Also in Port Washington, Salvatore's coal oven pizza...
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 610
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2011/06/15 17:10:29 (permalink)
Had a wonderful seafood dinner at the Riverbay in Williston? the other night, but way pricey, and on the other end of the spectrum, a great dinner at the Majestic Diner in Westbury (excellent rendition of a reuben sandwich).  Beautiful classic diner- vinyl booths, neon, huge menu, etc...I will try to post some pix when I can.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: It Ain't the Same Anymore on Long Island 2011/06/15 18:34:07 (permalink)
Always went to the Majestic when I was in the neighborhood of Roosevelt Field Shopping Center.  Great diner.  Glad it is still there and still doing fine.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1