It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney

Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4588
2006/04/05 22:47:47 (permalink)

It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney

Gene Pitney, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame whose hits included "Town Without Pity" and "Only Love Can Break a Heart," died Wednesday at a hotel in Wales after playing a show, his agent said. He was 65.

Pitney was found dead in his hotel room in Cardiff, Wales. Police said the death did not appear suspicious.

"We don't have a cause of death at the moment but looks like it was a very peaceful passing," said Pitney's tour manager, James Kelly.

"He was found fully clothed, on his back, as if he had gone for a lie down. It looks as if there was no pain whatsoever."
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/04/05/entertainment/e044251D38.DTL

He added: "Last night was generally one of the happiest and most exuberant performances we've seen out of him. He was absolutely on top of his game and was really happy with the show."

Born in Hartford, Conn., on Feb. 17, 1941, Pitney had his first success as a songwriter with "Rubber Ball," a Top 10 hit for Bobby Vee in 1961. Later that year, Ricky Nelson had a hit with Pitney's "Hello Mary Lou."

As a performer, Pitney had his first success that same year with "Love My Life Away."......

8 Replies Related Threads

Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 07:25:14 (permalink)
    I feel older now. He had an unusual, distinctive voice.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 07:41:12 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I loved his music.
    Gosh, "Town Without Pity" is just one of the best ever, and what
    jukebox didn't have "Liberty Valiant"?
    Another piece of the sweetness of life gone.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

dogmeat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 08:39:49 (permalink)
    The intro to Liberty Valence with the violins, "When Liberty Valence rode into town the men would step aside,aside" always had me turning the volume up.

24 Hours to Tulsa, Half Heaven Half Heartbreak,Only Love Can Break a Heart,It Hurts to Be In Love,I'm Gonna Be Strong,Every Breath I Take, and a classic, True Love Never Runs Smooth were some of the best written songs of their time along with many of his other songs that other people made famous:Rubber Ball/Bobby Vee,He's A Rebel/Crystals,Hello Mary Lou/Ricky Nelson.

Thanks for all the memories Gene Pitney, adios mi amigo.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 09:43:30 (permalink)
    He was in the hall of fame? He was a decent talent, but I can't say I ever considered him to be of that stature. I always thought of him as one of the guys just on the cusp, kind of a poor man's Roy Orbison.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 12:10:39 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Wallyum, there's alot of us poor men out here. We can't all be Roy Orbison, nor
    should we want to be. It's like that beauty queen I worshipped in high school,
    and actually talked to once, but I fell in love with the cute girl with freckles and
    had a scar on her upper thigh that embarrassed her.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4588
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 17:39:08 (permalink)
    I'd put Gene, Roy and Del Shannon all in the same wing of Heaven They were a Bridge between the Teen Idol 50's and the British Invasion, and among the first singer/songwriters. Roy's later popularity aside, they all wrote classic R & R songs for which we can be happy. In fact Del was slated to join the Traveling Wilburys before he blew himself up in a Prozac moment.
    http://www.delshannon.com/delbio.htm
    http://d21c.com/Spacebeagle/delshannon.html
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 18:54:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

I'd put Gene, Roy and Del Shannon all in the same wing of Heaven They were a Bridge between the Teen Idol 50's and the British Invasion, and among the first singer/songwriters. Roy's later popularity aside, they all wrote classic R & R songs for which we can be happy. In fact Del was slated to join the Traveling Wilburys before he blew himself up in a Prozac moment.
    http://www.delshannon.com/delbio.htm
    http://d21c.com/Spacebeagle/delshannon.html

Good call; they all had a common coolness. Apart from the numbers others here have mentioned, I really really like Gene's '24 Hours from Tulsa', the similar 'Last Chance to Turn Around' and the curious 'Mecca'.

I understand he was pretty busy on the other side of the studio after his heyday - produced a mean version of 'Baby, it's You' by some folks called Smith. Before the Smiths, that is.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: It Hurts To Be In Love-Farewell Gene Pitney 2006/04/06 23:46:35 (permalink)
    A distinctive voice. i was sorry to hear of his passing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1