It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3154
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 15:22:25 (permalink)
Well, everyone knows hamburgers were invented in Seymour Wisconsin by Hamburger Charlie Nagreen. 

(truth to tell-I never heard of the show before X1 made that first post. It is now well covered locally though.)

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2010/05/01 15:27:43
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 15:23:13 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I'd pass on both of those burgers shown as A and B.

Of course you would.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2634
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 15:36:10 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Well, everyone knows hamburgers were invented in Seymour Wisconsin by Hamburger Charlie Nagreen. 

You lie!  Hoffman was making hamburgers well before that!

I should probably put a smilie somewhere on this post.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18450
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 15:43:58 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

We'll have our own Burger War (see-a smilie.  I don't really want to have a "war") at Gahanna Grill come August.  I'm counting the days.

Buddy

Oh, it is just that the first one had lettice, and I don't know what else besides the grilled onions, and the other one had pickles and something I did not recognize. I want just grilled onions on mine, and I can't stand lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, etc. on my burgers.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 15:47:26 (permalink)
I thought the first hamburgers came from Louis Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut in 1900.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 16:20:47 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I thought the first hamburgers came from Louis Lunch in New Haven, Connecticut in 1900.

A point of contention that exists to this very day.
I see the Gahanna Grill Beanie Burger has mayo on it. That is a rare condiment in these parts.
I look forward to trying the Louis Lunch grilled beef on toast someday.

From Seymour's webpage~
Numerous communities from New Your to Texas claim to be the birthplace of the burger, but no one can supply any evidence dating back to 1885 like Seymour. Early newspaper articles, interviews with contemporaries and Charlie's daughter all verify the burger was served at the Seymour fair in 1885.

That seems pretty conclusive to me.
I'll grant Louis was serving something in 1900 but it wasn't the first hamburger.

Me, I don't really care. It's just a hamburger.
Charlie served his hamburger on bread with onions; Louis served his vertically grilled beef on toast.
Who put it on a bun?
I like mine on a seeded bun, preferably lightly grilled, smothered with grilled onions, dill pickle on the side and often with American cheese.
I'll vary it, but that is what I enjoy most often. Like Carolina Bob's tomato phobia, you can keep the lettuce although I'll eat it if that's the way it is served.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 16:28:41 (permalink)
I'm a fan of mayonnaise on a burger -- mustard and relish, too. I never cared for the hamburgers at Louis Lunch. I'd always get a steak sandwich there, but just checking their menu it appears they no longer serve them.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 20:57:03 (permalink)
It's ......."NOT" Really Real!!!! Ya Know???? IT'S TELEVISION!!!!
joerogo

Glad you finally got that concept. It took you long enough. 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 21:38:18 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Michael Hoffman

I see the Gahanna Grill Beanie Burger has mayo on it. That is a rare condiment in these parts.

I'm not familiar with the Beanie Burger having mayonnaise on it, without someone ordering it that way.

AJBombers
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 21:49:24 (permalink)
You guys are great! Thanks to X1 for sharing the Food Wars information here. 

Pretty much all of you have it right.  Dave Sobelman called me, challenged me to a food war and asked if I could try to get the show's attention to shoot in Milwaukee.  We figured, good for Milwaukee for sure and good for our businesses absolutely.  The show worked with us to create a battle around the concept of the "milwaukee" burger.  It's all in fun, and for television, no doubt about that. Hope to see you all there. 

Joe 

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 21:52:25 (permalink)
Hi Joe!

Thanks for posting the details of how this all came about. 

AJBombers
Junior Burger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 21:59:56 (permalink)
Sure, too bad that they won't let us serve the Pizza Bomber!! 
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 22:01:40 (permalink)
The Nueske's makes up for that. 

joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 22:17:03 (permalink)
X1

joerogo

Nah, just wanted you to see how ignorant and foolish your posts look. 

post edited by joerogo - 2010/05/01 22:23:09
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/01 23:18:11 (permalink)
I agree that focus on a more "typically Milwaukee" dish would make for a more credible rivalry, but perhaps hamburgers have higher ratings potential than bureks or fish fries.

In any case, it's not like hamburgers are inappropriate for Milwaukee--this is the Beef Belt, after all, and Wisconsinites do lay claim to the Butterburger.

And rivalries--well, they come and go. Why not a rivalry between a well-established burger joint (Sobelman's) and a newcomer (AJ Bombers)? Even if the rivalry is highly manufactured (the "duping") and lacks a grass-roots base ("authenticity"), it could be seen as a tale of two Milwaukees (the old and the new: the industrial Menominee Valley vs. vibrant Water St.). If this helps market Milwaukee as a "hamburger city," that could benefit old-school places like Solly's, Mazo's, Kopp's, the Nite Owl.... But still, I'm sure some bona-fide, well-established rivalries have origins that could be considered "manufactured" in some way.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4234
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 00:01:36 (permalink)
MFL,

The least appealing ingredient on a Beanie Burger is the dollop of cole slaw on top.  Not because the cole slaw is all that objectionable, but because they serve a dish of cole slaw on the side as well.  I like cole slaw, but enough is enough.  The next time I go to Gahanna Grill, I will be getting something other than the Beanie Burger.  They got a burger there with melted Swiss and grilled onions that I have my eye on.  I know Michael likes his burgers in a more basic mode.

Buddy
cjucoder
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 171
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 02:31:03 (permalink)
quijote

I agree that focus on a more "typically Milwaukee" dish would make for a more credible rivalry, but perhaps hamburgers have higher ratings potential than bureks or fish fries.

In any case, it's not like hamburgers are inappropriate for Milwaukee--this is the Beef Belt, after all, and Wisconsinites do lay claim to the Butterburger.

And rivalries--well, they come and go. Why not a rivalry between a well-established burger joint (Sobelman's) and a newcomer (AJ Bombers)? Even if the rivalry is highly manufactured (the "duping") and lacks a grass-roots base ("authenticity"), it could be seen as a tale of two Milwaukees (the old and the new: the industrial Menominee Valley vs. vibrant Water St.). If this helps market Milwaukee as a "hamburger city," that could benefit old-school places like Solly's, Mazo's, Kopp's, the Nite Owl.... But still, I'm sure some bona-fide, well-established rivalries have origins that could be considered "manufactured" in some way.

IMHO the above is the best laid out post of this entire thread.  I want to be quijote when I grow up.

Thanks also to AJBombers for chiming in.

joerongo

joerongo, you are getting really nasty here. Over a TV show? About burgers? Seriously? I know we take food seriously here at roodfood.com, but jeez.
post edited by cjucoder - 2010/05/02 02:46:43
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 07:34:48 (permalink)
joerogo

X1

joerogo

Poor thing. I'm sure, with your limited understanding capabilities and poor comprehension skills, this all *seems* "ignorant and foolish". I assure you, it's not so. Try not to think on this all overly much. Wouldn't want you to strain your already obviously overtaxed brain.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 07:36:09 (permalink)
quijote

Perfectly said, Q! As usual. 

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 09:30:58 (permalink)
XI, At least I know why you are acting like such a jerk over a simple comment I made to Brad.  You got a horse in this race!  All of a sudden Joe Bomber shows up?  Friend?  Relative?  Although, I am sure he doesn't need your rants to justify his business.

Your tirades are as I said, ignorant and foolish.  That's not nasty, just the truth. 

Good luck to the restaurants involved.   
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 10:17:52 (permalink)
While I've met Joe, he's not a friend (not that he's NOT a friend..but I don't know him well enough, having only met him once and said "hi" to him one other time), nor is he a relative. I've been to AJ Bombers twice, exactly the same amount of times I've been to Sobleman's.

Joe is a social media maven. If his restaurants (he has more than AJ Bombers) are mentioned, in print or on the net, he knows about it. He might have googled and this thread showed up, or whatever. I didn't tell him to come here. I'm not even sure he's ever heard of Roadfood.com before coming to this thread. He'd have to come back and answer those questions himself, though.

I don't rant, nor tirade; I respond. And as far as your "simple comment", you took my original explanation and interpreted it as a war or whatever, when it was simply an explanation. After that, you just got nastier, and I responded in kind, as it's what you seem to understand best.

I'm at a loss as to why you remain in this thread, if you find the whole "duped" business, as well as Milwaukee, hamburgers and whatever else you have a problem with, so appalling. There are a thousand other threads where you can spout your opinions to the approval you crave.

I originally posted this thread because I was excited for Milwaukee, for AJ Bombers and for Sobleman's, that Travel Channel was coming here. Milwaukee needs the good publicity; the boost. And it's all in fun.

You, however, could not let that fun happen. I'm sorry for you.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 10:35:28 (permalink)
I am very proud of you!
post edited by joerogo - 2010/05/02 10:38:37
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 11:03:19 (permalink)
I hope everybody knows that there are services out there that scan for mentions on the web of a business. Its part of the cost of doing business these days. We have no way of knowing if the owner of AJ Bombers is a long time reader, got a call from a friend, or employs a service. Anyway, he sounds like an interesting person and I hope he will also become a regular poster.
AJBombers
Junior Burger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 13:06:43 (permalink)
Hey guys, It was Google Alerts of AJ Bombers that brought me to this thread.  yup, I know X1 and a few others here.  Happy just to see the interest in the event.  But I have been here before and will likely be back again, now that I am no longer just a lurker. 
post edited by AJBombers - 2010/05/02 13:08:04
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 14:01:45 (permalink)
Couldn't they substitute Fred's in Burlington for Sobelman's?

LeadBelly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/02 14:14:55 (permalink)
joerogo

AND HEY!!!! Who Cares?????  It's ......."NOT" Really Real!!!! Ya Know???? IT'S TELEVISION!!!!!

Yeah, they come up with a concept to sell to a network. And its good that they provide a little diversion, get the businesses a little exposure , the area gets shown a little on tv and the producers make some money. Like you said, its television. 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4234
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/03 01:23:28 (permalink)
saps

Couldn't they substitute Fred's in Burlington for Sobelman's?

I had the exact same reaction when this thread started.  As it progressed, and it became evident that the whole "feud" was manufactured by the parties involved, it became obvious why Fred's was not chosen.

On the other hand, I've been to Sobelman's and have to say, they have a darned good Burger.  Several of the Milwaukee members of The Contingent have been to AJ Bombers and reported back on it very positively.  So, you've got two very good burgers in one great city deserving of some attention, who care if the whole thing is made up?  It's freakin' TV!  And it's not the Nightly News.  Like it or not, entertainment value is more important than 100% truth and honesty on this type of show.

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/05 08:11:33 (permalink)
AJ Bombers (Joe) and Sobelman's (Dave) have been all over TV news shows and in the newspaper as the competition draws near. It's really fun to see all the interaction between the two, and the excitement of the people of Milwaukee, both in person and on Twitter and Facebook. 
Filming starts tomorrow! It's free to come watch, so if you're in the area - stop by! I posted a link to the filming schedule in a previous post. 

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/05 08:28:27 (permalink)
Oh - and the "neutral site" for the Saturday filming (the actual "war" - blindfolded taste test and whatnot) will be at Bar Louie around Noon.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 901
Re:It's Hamburger FOOD WARS in Milwaukee!! 2010/05/05 10:14:10 (permalink)
Warring or not, I think it's great PR for the city.  X1, I think that some of the perceived rivalries stem from writers (like me, admittedly) saying that one [insert food item here] is better than another.  I get vibes from people thinking, "What does he know? He's from New England and comes to our town, eats one meal at places A and B, and declares that A is the best."  Guilty as charged!    Chris
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1