AnsweredLockedHot!It's Nice to be President!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 540
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 13:18:33 (permalink)
I enjoyed the discussion, and am glad the moderators have not deleted it (yet).  I also don't see what is wrong with a little mild political comment once in a while -- politics are a fact of life.

Yes, this is a roadfood site, not a political one -- but the roadfood part needs help, which means participation of any type -- look how many of the forums have not been touched in days.  It's good for all of us to help keep it alive.

As far as no one should criticize a public official because someone else doesn't want them to -- well, that just won't fly.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18665
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 13:27:47 (permalink)
Everyone who seeks the presidency does so in order to impose upon those lesser folks called Americans.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4220
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 13:54:16 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Everyone who seeks the presidency does so in order to impose upon those lesser folks called Americans.

True enough.  Even my favorite of all the Presidents during my life, Eisenhower, did wangle a membership at Augusta National.  But then he had done a thing or two before his election.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2720
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 14:19:56 (permalink)
Keysey42
Oh for crying out loud, stop with the Obama-hating already. I come to Roadfood to get away from politics, not to read more of this crap. Being president of the United States, whether it's Obama, Bush, Clinton or Reagan, brings with it certain privileges, and one of those is not having to wait in line anywhere. Quite frankly, I would rather do without those privileges than have to deal with the intense pressures of that job. Compare photos of any president taken when they took office compared to when they left. The job ages its holders at least a decade in even 4 years. And people here are hating on him because he got to jump the line at a BBQ joint? Petty, man. Really petty.

Frankly, the discussion was non-political until now. It was more about restaurant etiquette. Just because the JACK that broke the rules had a highly-armed government-paid posse to enforce his cutting in line, does not constitute criticism of the President's politics. Just his upbringing and poor manners.
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1630
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 14:41:24 (permalink)
Couldn't agree more!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 14:42:43 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Keysey42
Oh for crying out loud, stop with the Obama-hating already. I come to Roadfood to get away from politics, not to read more of this crap. Being president of the United States, whether it's Obama, Bush, Clinton or Reagan, brings with it certain privileges, and one of those is not having to wait in line anywhere. Quite frankly, I would rather do without those privileges than have to deal with the intense pressures of that job. Compare photos of any president taken when they took office compared to when they left. The job ages its holders at least a decade in even 4 years. And people here are hating on him because he got to jump the line at a BBQ joint? Petty, man. Really petty.

Frankly, the discussion was non-political until now. It was more about restaurant etiquette. Just because the JACK that broke the rules had a highly-armed government-paid posse to enforce his cutting in line, does not constitute criticism of the President's politics. Just his upbringing and poor manners.

I don't hate anyone and I don't hate him for cutting in line.  IF I were a hateful person, there would be plenty of other valid reasons to hate him besides cutting in line.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 14:54:25 (permalink)
I am just very thankful that I was not in that line. I'd probably be in federal custody today if I was.

While in line for customs several years ago, a TV actor was cutting through the crowd like he was the most important thing alive President of the United States. When he got to me I told him stop and wait like the rest of us. My wife was pissed because she wanted to talk to him, but wouldn't after I embarrassed her.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 16:38:49 (permalink)
Again?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 16:54:02 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I am just very thankful that I was not in that line. I'd probably be in federal custody today if I was.

While in line for customs several years ago, a TV actor was cutting through the crowd like he was the most important thing alive President of the United States. When he got to me I told him stop and wait like the rest of us. My wife was pissed because she wanted to talk to him, but wouldn't after I embarrassed her.

O.K. 
Who was it?
No harm in telling. 
Enquiring minds want to know!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 16:56:21 (permalink)
Miguel Ferrer
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 17:14:59 (permalink)
Had to 'Google' him.
Just what makes this celebutard fly-speck think he's so important?

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 17:16:52 (permalink)
Miguel who? How did you know he was famous? Did he hang a sign around his neck?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 17:19:40 (permalink)
Well he is Rosemary Clooney's son.
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2314
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 17:42:43 (permalink)
From the Dick van Dyke show? He'll, no wonder he gets to go to the front of the line.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 18:06:38 (permalink)
He was Jose' Ferrer's son. A whole lot less famous than his great actor father was.

In case no one knows who Jose' Ferrer was, he was the Turkish officer who enjoyed listening to the torture of "Lawrence of Arabia" star, Peter O'toole.

He was also the naval JAG attorney in the "Caine Mutiny"
http://www.tcm.com/mediar...-Great-Naval-Hero.html

post edited by Twinwillow - 2014/07/12 19:30:25
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 18:11:19 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Well he is Rosemary Clooney's son.

And, George Clooney's cousin.
Pie Diva
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/12 19:10:25 (permalink)
That's why I was ticked! I was 1 degree of separation from George!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 08:49:07 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Keysey42

I think we're a little off-point here.

1)  The Secret Service never moves the President without a detailed plan.  And such plans for restaurant visits include advance teams to 'secure' both the premises and the food.

2)  So, part of any such plan had to be notifying the owner, Mr. Franklin, of the President's desire to visit and sample his cuisine and gaining Mr. Franklin's consent.

3)  It was Mr. Franklin's decision alone to permit the visit under the terms, circumstances, and conditions in which it occurred.

4)  As this is still the U.S. of A., (not, e.g., Juan Peron's Argentina), Mr. Franklin - like the donut shop owner in the Shenandoah Valley who refused a visit from Vice President Biden - retained the absolute right to say: "No.  My place.  My rules."  
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 09:02:40 (permalink)
MetroJim,

If you believe Aaron Franklin the SS broke security protocol for this photo-op and put the POTUS at considerable risk (you know about Texans and their handguns):
How much advance warning did you have that the president was coming to Franklin?
Almost none. I actually left to pick up insulation for our new fireboxes and I got a call saying, The president is going to be here, it's swarming with secret service.
I almost didn't make it. I-35 was completely stopped. Stacy was also on her way back and got stuck in traffic. We parked on the 35 access road and came in on foot. I walked in the front door as he was leaving.
I'm only here like 100 hours a week. Would have been just my luck to miss him.
 From that news article, it appear that all four of your points are invalid.

"No soup for you!"

jrp

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 09:39:07 (permalink)
Hmmm.  Interesting read.  It still seems that Mr. Franklin retained the right to say, 'No'.  At least sort of.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 10:22:15 (permalink)
Franklin was put on the spot. He had no opportunity to decline the POTUS visit and disruption to his business. Was he supposed to take the bag of food away from the President as he passed him leaving his restaurant?

Since the Soup Nazi episode, we've come to accept the quirks of restauranteurs and the long lines to get the honor of trying their food. I stood in line at Hot Doug's and he seemed like a complete ass when taking my order. Its his place. I congratulate him on his success.

I think this is very similar to the Downfall parody that you posted. Except instead of modestly accepting the rules that Mr. Franklin has established for his restaurant, like Downfall's Hitler did, our leader declared himself to be more important than anyone else in the line and violated Aaron Franklin's 'Rule of Law.'  To simultaneously appear more arrogant than both a fictitious Adolph Hitler and Anthony Bourdain is quite an accomplishment.
jman
  • Total Posts : 1364
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:01:29 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Keysey42

He's the same JACK who put his hands over the sneeze shield when he blessed Chipolte Mexican Grill with his presence.
post edited by jman - 2014/07/13 11:05:26
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:05:04 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Twinwillow
Before this thread gets too tiresome and, it might already be. Here's more on the POTUS' visit to BBQ land.

http://austin.eater.com/tags/barack-obama

Nice URL.

Other things aside,
I can only praise Mr. Obama's taste in food
Five Guys, Ray's Hell Burger, Ben's Chili Bowl, Muellers, Stubbs, and now Franklin's!

Here's more famous food lines for the President to cut.

...and he had a Jucy Lucy burger in Matt's Bar just a week or so ago in Minneapolis. He does have a good time.
BTW, this cutting in line discussion is rather moot. No matter who the president, the president disrupts more than a food line wherever he goes. A president will tie up most of the city. I've been inconvenienced by Clinton, Bush and Obama over the years in the Twin Cities with their visits. That's the price of security. On Obama's last visit my sister-in-law spent several minutes in an airplane circling the Twin Cities until the president cleared the airport.

The proprietors of the food establishments a president drops in on gain invaluable publicity.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:16:27 (permalink)
"And people here are hating on him because he got to jump the line at a BBQ joint?"
I daresay there are other reasons.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:21:54 (permalink)
OMG.  Some people can't keep their politics out of any aspect of their life.  Seems like half of Americans are always hating the current President.  Reagan was Satan.  Cliniton a schuckster.  Bush a idiot-puppet.  Obama a muslim socailist, or some such nonsense.  C'mon.  My kids are more reasonable and fair, and they're all under 14.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:23:50 (permalink)
JRPfeff, you have many apt points there.  It does seem that Aaron Franklin was 'put on the spot' and, as a businessman, probably thought not to offend probably 55% of Austin and 24% of the rest of Texas.

And, I must confess that my knowledge of how Presidential restaurant visits 'go' is colored by the many visits the both the elder and younger Bush families paid to the Peking Gourmet in Falls Church, VA - not far from my old NoVa home in McLean.  Evidently time has changed their protocols.

And, I do know that my CC denied letting President Clinton play until the Secret Service dropped their demand to have him play in a bubble of empty holes; at the end of his terms he played once and was a perfect gentleman - as were our Presidential Members: Taft, Wilson, and Harding.  The folks down at the other end of Glebe Road - Army-Navy CC - weren't so lucky.  When Mr. Clinton played 50+ agents swarmed the place, often with little or no notice - and always had 9 holes around the Commander-in-Chief closed.  The members and staff there were ... let's just say 'not pleased'. 

(BTW, Mr. Obama has the courtesy to play most of his local golf at Andrews AFB where their 36 holes are entirely within the base and wholly secure; I am told his forays there pose little disruption to 'normal operations').
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/13 11:28:40
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:31:19 (permalink)
I'm loving this thread! It's the most interesting and mind provoking non-food or road trip review thread I've read since I first joined Roadfood back in 2006.

Thanks, Jim. 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 11:52:27 (permalink)
Davydd

BTW, this cutting in line discussion is rather moot. No matter who the president, the president disrupts more than a food line wherever he goes. A president will tie up most of the city. I've been inconvenienced by Clinton, Bush and Obama over the years in the Twin Cities with their visits. That's the price of security. On Obama's last visit my sister-in-law spent several minutes in an airplane circling the Twin Cities until the president cleared the airport.

The proprietors of the food establishments a president drops in on gain invaluable publicity.

Davydd -The discussion is not moot. It's not about a longer wait, its about stealing food from others.

Perhaps you are not aware, but Franklin's Barbecue is first-come/first-served, and when the food runs out EVERY DAY, you are out of luck. That's why people begin lining up hours before they open and the line can get to be several hours long in the hot Texas sun.

My issue is that the President's cutting in line and buying $300 of barbecue deprived many people at the end of the line of the food they had put a several hour commitment to eat. That is very inconsiderate. Even Downfall Adolf wouldn't do that.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 12:24:51 (permalink)
Twinwillow
I'm loving this thread! It's the most interesting and mind provoking non-food or road trip review thread I've read since I first joined Roadfood back in 2006.

Thanks, Jim. 

You are most welcome and thank you, Michael.

Further, - FYI to others, - I highly suspect that Twinwillow and I voted differently in 2008 and 2012. 

That does not, however, prevent me from praising our President for his very apparent love of Roadfoody cuisine (or his considerate choice of WDC-area golfing venues!) nor does it preclude him from enjoying this thread. 
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1852
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 12:29:12 (permalink)
I'm predicting this thread being locked.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1