AnsweredLockedHot!It's Nice to be President!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5111
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 12:36:25 (permalink)
I was thinking the same as you after finishing the first page of the thread
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4278
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 12:58:28 (permalink)
WarToad
OMG.  Some people can't keep their politics out of any aspect of their life.  Seems like half of Americans are always hating the current President.  Reagan was Satan.  Cliniton a schuckster.  Bush a idiot-puppet.  Obama a muslim socailist, or some such nonsense.  C'mon.  My kids are more reasonable and fair, and they're all under 14.

Goodness gracious. 

I've read through this thread and the only mentions of politics have been by you and Keysey42 (post #30 above).

To be sure, some of the posters above have 'shown a little slip' regarding their personal feelings, but no one but you and Keysey42 have brought "politics" into it.  That is, nowhere above do I see even a single mention any policy differences or agreements posters may have with our President.
Keysey42
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 13:05:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2014/07/13 18:47:30
Which was kind of my point. Policy disagreements are legitimate (though Road Food is not the place for them, thank goodness). But using a visit of the President of the United States to a BBQ joint to bash him personally for something that makes perfect sense for him to do from a security standpoint is petty. And yes, political. And does not belong here.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 13:05:59 (permalink)
WarToad
I'm predicting this thread being locked.

And will wishes, not reason, make it so?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 13:19:07 (permalink)
Keysey42
Which was kind of my point. Policy disagreements are legitimate (though Road Food is not the place for them, thank goodness). But using a visit of the President of the United States to a BBQ joint to bash him personally for something that makes perfect sense for him to do from a security standpoint is petty. And yes, political. And does not belong here.

Some thought it rude and impertinent for FDR to serve King George VI and Queen Elizabeth hot dogs at Hyde Park

But, discussion of such would have been a proper Roadfood thread: separate, apart, and regardless of one's political agreements or disagreements with Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt.

easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 13:42:08 (permalink)
MetroplexJim 

That does not, however, prevent me from praising our President for his very apparent love of Roadfoody cuisine (or his considerate choice of WDC-area golfing venues!) nor does it preclude him from enjoying this thread. 

Whether we like his work as President or not (I don't), I can see he has some regular guy/down home tendencies, his food being one, and the guy does like a beer.  (Reagan liked cheeseburgers and mac 'n cheese.)

And I bet he's still a secret smoker.  We've seen him shooting pool in several clips the last few days lately, and notice he's chewing gum like crazy?  I understand -- quitting's not easy.

When I was misspending my youth in the pool hall, almost everyone who played had a smoke going, burning holes in the wood.  The owners just quit caring after a while.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 13:55:38 (permalink)
Hmmm  much to think about in the heartfelt discussion
 found on these pages. I wonder if HE brought any of
 that BBQ home to the family, or did he share it with his 
 entourage onboard AF One.
   It matters not, as my life won't be altered a wit should
   I learn that he stiffed the place and left the tab to be paid by the Taxpayer's.
I'm sorry, Roadfood readers, But I really don't case.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6412
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 15:02:25 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Davydd

BTW, this cutting in line discussion is rather moot. No matter who the president, the president disrupts more than a food line wherever he goes. A president will tie up most of the city. I've been inconvenienced by Clinton, Bush and Obama over the years in the Twin Cities with their visits. That's the price of security. On Obama's last visit my sister-in-law spent several minutes in an airplane circling the Twin Cities until the president cleared the airport.

The proprietors of the food establishments a president drops in on gain invaluable publicity.

Davydd -The discussion is not moot. It's not about a longer wait, its about stealing food from others.

Perhaps you are not aware, but Franklin's Barbecue is first-come/first-served, and when the food runs out EVERY DAY, you are out of luck. That's why people begin lining up hours before they open and the line can get to be several hours long in the hot Texas sun.

My issue is that the President's cutting in line and buying $300 of barbecue deprived many people at the end of the line of the food they had put a several hour commitment to eat. That is very inconsiderate. Even Downfall Adolf wouldn't do that.

As I said any establishment any president visits gains valuable publicity making $300 or a day's inconvenience to someone else very miniscule to the long range success of the establishment from that publicity. Believe me, Franklin's Barbeque transcended into greater awareness from that visit. It was better publicity than if they ran a mult-million dollar Super Bowl ad. Regardless of one's political leanings and philosophy or of the visiting president one would have to be an idiot, IMO, to turn down a deal like that and throw away a business advantage.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 16:13:25 (permalink)
Sour fat white men.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18891
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 16:47:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2014/07/13 19:03:36
The current occupant of the White House certainly is sour, but I can't believe you called him fat, and I have no idea what difference the color of his skin makes in this conversation.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 17:17:27 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Sour fat white men.

I never knew that Yoda was a cannibal.
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 17:22:14 (permalink)
I scored the recipe for Franklin Barbecue sauce http://www.scrumptiousche...-Barbecue-Sauce-Recipe
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 17:33:17 (permalink)
Davydd
JRPfeff
Davydd

BTW, this cutting in line discussion is rather moot. No matter who the president, the president disrupts more than a food line wherever he goes. A president will tie up most of the city. I've been inconvenienced by Clinton, Bush and Obama over the years in the Twin Cities with their visits. That's the price of security. On Obama's last visit my sister-in-law spent several minutes in an airplane circling the Twin Cities until the president cleared the airport.

The proprietors of the food establishments a president drops in on gain invaluable publicity.

Davydd -The discussion is not moot. It's not about a longer wait, its about stealing food from others.

Perhaps you are not aware, but Franklin's Barbecue is first-come/first-served, and when the food runs out EVERY DAY, you are out of luck. That's why people begin lining up hours before they open and the line can get to be several hours long in the hot Texas sun.

My issue is that the President's cutting in line and buying $300 of barbecue deprived many people at the end of the line of the food they had put a several hour commitment to eat. That is very inconsiderate. Even Downfall Adolf wouldn't do that.

As I said any establishment any president visits gains valuable publicity making $300 or a day's inconvenience to someone else very miniscule to the long range success of the establishment from that publicity. Believe me, Franklin's Barbeque transcended into greater awareness from that visit. It was better publicity than if they ran a mult-million dollar Super Bowl ad. Regardless of one's political leanings and philosophy or of the visiting president one would have to be an idiot, IMO, to turn down a deal like that and throw away a business advantage.

Franklin's sells everything that comes out of their pits and turns away people every day. They don't need this or any other publicity.

This was about Obama trying to raise his polling by eating at a trendy barbecue restaurant. Before disregarding the affect of his selfish actions on his fellow citizens, he should have considered the consequences that come from demonstrating that he does not believe this one self-evident truth - that all men are created equal.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18891
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 17:51:04 (permalink)
Word out of the White House is that Bush told him to cut.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 18:50:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2014/07/13 19:06:55
JRPfeff

Franklin's sells everything that comes out of their pits and turns away people every day. They don't need this or any other publicity.

(Professor Jim): 

Given inelastic supply, an increase in demand will always result in higher revenue.  And, as fixed costs are already covered, that marginal revenue will be mostly profit: (MR - MC).

---------------------------

(Businessman Jim): 

Other gifts aside, Aaron Franklin is an excellent businessman.  He is singularly fixed on building his brand. 

That requires that nothing but excellence had better come out of a pit that has his name on it.  He has often said that he will never open another location, or franchise; but - from one of the URL's above - he is expanding the capacity of the one he has.

I really cannot divine his longer-run strategy.  But clearly he has learned from other's experiences. 

An example may be had in Dallas BBQ legend Sonny Bryan.  His heirs franchised and even engaged the noted Chef Dean Fearing (then of The Mansion on Turtle Creek) to 'design' sides.  Incompetent franchisees ruined the reputation of even the original location which, to this day, still serves great 'Que; the remaining franchises struggle. 

On the other hand there is another Dallas BBQ business: Dickey's which serves indifferent BBQ at over 500 locations nationwide.  Collectively, the Dickey heirs are now centi-millionaires.

Most likely, the thought of following Sonny Bryan is a recurrent nightmare; the thought of following Roland Dickey is simply a bad dream. 

From what I can gather, Franklin presently 'only' wants to be 'the best'.  God Bless him and the America that makes whatever he earns in the way of reputation or money possible.  (And aside from fame, he is a "one-per-center", extremely well-earned). 

Davydd
Sirloin
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 18:50:44 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Davydd
JRPfeff
Davydd

This was about Obama trying to raise his polling by eating at a trendy barbecue restaurant. Before disregarding the affect of his selfish actions on his fellow citizens, he should have considered the consequences that come from demonstrating that he does not believe this one self-evident truth - that all men are created equal.

There is more to it than just selling out every day. There is also human vanity and recognition. Also, why does he sell out? Could it be because he is considered the best? What if the president went to his chief competitive rival instead? Might his business then drop off? Are you letting the politics cloud your opinion?

I give you maybe a better example. Obama was in the Twin Cities two weeks ago. We have a big rivalry between three different bar/pubs as to who has the best juicy lucy hamburger. The three, Matt's Bar, 5-8 Club and The Nook have all been featured on cable TV food shows and on account of that everyone now cites the juicy lucy as the signature food of Minnesota. Oddly, those three do not have the best juicy lucy in town. So Obama shows up at Matt's Bar and has a Jucy Lucy. Sign, sealed and delivered Matt's Bar is now at the head of the bunch for that one visit. Matt's Bar was anointed with a major national news publicity advantage. Now wanderingjew will have to forgo hotdish and go there.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 19:04:37 (permalink)
Davydd

What if the president went to his chief competitive rival instead? Might his business then drop off? Are you letting the politics cloud your opinion?

From what I understand from the various URLs above, the President also visited John Mueller's and had visited Stubbs' several times before.

Like I wrote in this thread's title, 'It's Nice to be President'.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/13 22:37:33 (permalink)
Presidents should use Camp David more and leave us minions alone. :D
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1565
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/14 00:44:36 (permalink)
What is the best Juicy Lucy in the Twin Cities these days?  Hopefully they are not saying the Blue Door.  Neat neighborhood bars and all (both in SP and Longfellow) but their food is overrated, especially their burgers, regular or Juicy Lucy.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/14 01:42:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mayor al 2014/07/14 05:43:07
Davydd
JRPfeff
Davydd

Franklin's doesn't need any more publicity. He's been publicized out the Wazoo! Hundreds of articles and TV food shows have covered his scrawny place.
Any place that sells out everything they make every day needs less publicity so people who stand in line for hours, (Unless they're the President of the United States), can actually get to try his Que!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re: It's Nice to be President! 2014/07/14 05:38:10 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby mayor al 2014/07/14 05:42:19
OK, I did give it another page, and we did really wring out the topic.  so here we can say we found a fine place to draw to a close.

Lock time.
post edited by mayor al - 2014/07/14 05:54:35
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1