Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune

Author
arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2006/12/10 14:15:23 (permalink)

Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune

Here's two Italian Beef recipes, both printed in the Chicago Tribune. The first is almost identical to the one Desertdog (hope I got that right) reconstructed for this thread, which comes from "Two for the Road" by Jane and Michael Stern. The second is one created in the Chicago Tribune test kitchen, which is very similar to the one Gonnella Bread posts on its website. Buona Beef also has a recipe online, which I can post, if someone wishes. Enjoy, everyone.

Italian Beef (Stern recipe)

6 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
1 boneless chuck roast, about 3-4 pounds
1 cup water
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon each: crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, salt, coarsely ground pepper
8 hero rolls or 4 lengths of Italian bread
Drained roasted peppers or giardiniera (spicy pickled vegetables), optional

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Use a small knife to insert the garlic slivers into the roast all over. Put the water in a deep baking pan not much larger than the roast. Add the roast; top the roast with the seasonings.

Cover tightly with foil; bake, basting occasionally, adding water if necessary, until meat is fork-tender and browned, about 2 hours, 30 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan; let stand 15-20 minutes. slice into razor-thin pieces; set aside.

Meanwhile, degrease the pan; taste pan juices and adjust seasoning. (It should be highly seasoned with a peppery bite.) Place the sliced beef in the juices; set aside 15-20 minutes. Serve on the rolls with peppers or giardiniera.

Italian Beef Sandwiches (Tribune test kitchen)

1 teaspoon each: crushed red pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small sirloin tip roast, about 2 1/2 pounds
1 cup cold water
8 soft or hard Italian rolls, warmed
Pickled hot sport peppers or sliced sweet peppers, as desired

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine seasonings in a small bowl; rub half of the mixutre over all surfaces of meat, working some of it under the fat layer. Put the meat in a shallow pan just large enough to hold it; roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, roast 20 minutes longer.

Remove pan from oven; pour cold water into bottom of pan. Let stand several minutes until fat has solidified. Remove fat; discard. Add remaining seasoning mixture to pan juices. Return to oven, roast until instant read thermometer reads 130 degrees for rare, about 20 minutes, or cook as desired. Remove meat from roasting pan; cool 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, degrease pan juices. Transfer juice to a saucepan, cook over medium heat until heated through, about 3 mnutes. Slice meat into paper-thin slices, using a meat slicer, or electric knife, if available. Dip several pieces briefly into hot juice. Layer meat and juices into split rolls. Add peppers as desired.

18 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/10 15:49:11 (permalink)
    What bad things might happen to a roast that used the above recipes but was put instead in a slow cooker on low, for say 8 hours or so?
    I'm sure it might turn to shreds but placed in roll, perhaps even a roll that you dunked in the soppings, I'm guessing you'd have an unbelievably delicious sandwich.
    Am I missing anything?
    arelabs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/10 15:55:54 (permalink)
    I've done the slow cooker thing gazillions of times, and it works very well. However, I have a 6-qt Nesco roaster that I prefer using, because it's more like a mini-oven. The roast I prefer to use is a Boston-cut, which is a rolled chuck roast. My late FIL was a fantastic cook, having spent years as one of the chef's at a famous Chicago Italian Restaurant called Bianco's, and that's the roast he would make us every Sunday, seasoned with oregano, basil and garlic. That specific cut is hard to find unless you know where to look for it. Certified Grocer food store chains have it regularly, and even have sales on it as low as $1.99/lb. It's flavor is delicious, and works great in Italian Beef Recipes.

You'll do just fine using a slow cooker. Happy "beef eating."
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/11 07:17:48 (permalink)
    Would it also help to add beef broth? The recipes above don't seem to have enough liquid for dipping. The good restaurants I've tried had a large kettle of juice that they dipped the sandwiches.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/11 13:32:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

What bad things might happen to a roast that used the above recipes but was put instead in a slow cooker on low, for say 8 hours or so?
    I'm sure it might turn to shreds but placed in roll, perhaps even a roll that you dunked in the soppings, I'm guessing you'd have an unbelievably delicious sandwich.
    Am I missing anything?
    MFL, what you are describing would indeed be a tasty sandwich. However, as you well know from your participation in last March's Great Chicagoland Italian Beef Tour, it would NOT be a true Italian Beef Sandwich.

Buddy
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 710
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/11 16:56:55 (permalink)
    I recently had a sandwich from Al's (not the Taylor St. location, one of the suburban locactions) and it was really shreddy. I don't remember it being that way when we did the Italian Beef Tour, but it may have been....so is it not a true Italian Beef Sandwich? Was it like that at the Taylor St. location?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/11 17:27:34 (permalink)
    The shreds in Al's and other typical Italian Beef sandwiches is the result of very thin slicing. The shreds MLF is describing (unless I'm very much mistaken; and I may be) would be "ropier" or chunkier; more like pulled pork. Is that what you had in mind MLF or have I gotten this all wrong?

Buddy
    arelabs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/12 10:55:02 (permalink)
    Here's the Buona Beef recipe, although I'm sure there's a few herbs and spices that can be added-in. This uses quite a bit of water, as you can see, which, of course, makes more juices. I have found by adding some celery and onions to the water, it gives the juice a more hearty flavor, as I do not like using bouillon cubes. Adding the celery and onions, along with some basil and garlic powder, provides a natural beef stock. This can then be zipped up, as needed.

Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich

Provided by Joe Buonavolanto Jr., co-owner of Buona Beef Restaurants.

* 9-10 lbs top inside beef round
    * 3 garlic cloves, crushed
    * 2 qt. water
    * 1/2 cup chopped oregano
    * 1/4 C. salt
    * 1/4 C. black pepper
    * 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
    * 35 freshly baked French rolls
    * 1 1/2 lbs. sliced mozzarella cheese
    (for smaller portions reduce ingredients portionally)

For roasting times, figure on 10-12 minutes per pound for medium.
    Check with a meat thermometer for an internal temperature of 130 degree Fahrenheit for rare, 140 degrees Fahrenheit for medium

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sirloin in roasting pan and dry roast for 15-20 minutes.

2. Remove pan from oven and add water, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Return to oven and roast at 350 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

3. Remove from oven. Allow to rest for 15 minutes. Internal temperature will rise 5-10 degrees. Thinly slice beef and pile high on freshly baked French rolls. Add cheese if desired. Reserve cooking juices to make "wet" sandwiches.

4. Garnish with sliced sweet bell peppers and hot giardinara. Makes 30-40 sandwiches depending on portion size.
    arelabs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2006/12/22 22:00:22 (permalink)
    Here's another one, posted on ABC-Channel 7's website, courtesy of Max's:

Max's Italian Beef

Need a sandwich you can really sink your teeth into? Try this one from Max's Italian Beef.

5 lb Outside Round Roast
    Kosher salt, course black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and paprika
    Roasting pan with rack

Rub roast with seasoning

Let rest in refrigerator for one hour

Place on rack and roast at 350 for approximately 20 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 140 (medium)

Cool at least one hour

Slice as thin as possible!

Max's Italian Beef Gravy
    Deglazed pan drippings
    1/2 gallon Beef broth
    Granulated garlic, oregano, pepper

Deglaze roasting pan with hot beef broth

Pour into saucepan with remaining beef broth

Add sliced beef

Season with garlic, oregano and pepper to taste

Gently simmer 30 minutes

DO NOT BOIL

Sweet Peppers

Two large green bell peppers
    8 oz beef broth
    8 oz water
    1 TBS oregano

Clean peppers and cut into strips

Place in saucepan and cover with beef broth, water, and oregano

Bring to a boil and then remove to a colander

Giardinera
    Celery
    Serrano peppers
    Green olives
    Italian hot red peppers
    2 cups Vegetable oil
    1/4 cup vinegar
    Kosher salt

Chop vegetables ¼" to ½"

Mix oil, vinegar and salt and warm slightly to blend flavors

Cover vegetables with oil mixture

Marinate overnight in the refrigerator

Max's Famous Italian Beef Sandwich
    # Gonella French bread
    # Italian beef with Aus Jus Gravy
    # Hot and sweet peppers

Slice French bread to desired size with opening on one side

Place Italian beef into bun and dip into gravy

Top with hot and sweet peppers

ENJOY!
    arelabs
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2007/02/01 22:31:28 (permalink)
    Here's a link to a pic I found on a board discussing Italian Beefs. One particular subject was whether to simmer the beef, or roast on a rack above the liquids. This purports to be a picture from Al's, in which they simmer their roasts.

link to the picture of Al's
    http://gwiv.com/GNRAls16.jpg

"The most important herb in Italian beef is Oregano. Then of course you need your drippings and extra aujus."

"Start with a bottom round. Rub it with olive oil, then generously with finely chopped garlic, cracked black pepper, sea salt, onion powder and lots of oregano (I personally don't use basil). Place in a roasting pan on a rack over italian beef aujus (water, beef base, black pepper, lots of oregano). Pull when medium rare and let stand about 30 minutes or so before slicing. I hope you have a slicer. If you know a local butcher, bring it to him and have it sliced extremely thin or shaved. Place sliced beef in aujus and serve with Hot and or mild Giardiniera and sauted bell peppers."

http://lists.thesmokering.com/pipermail/bbq/2006-November/subject.html

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2007/02/02 07:30:17 (permalink)
    Oops Buddy, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
    I somehow never "subscribed" to this thread and so never knew I was being asked a ?
    Nope, of course it's not a "Chicago-style" Italian Beef but it was no less tasty.
    Somewhat like Dyer's hamburger fat, I've taken to saving (freezing) my Italian beef "au jus/gravy", adding liquid, oregano and garlic as needed. I'm thinking Mrs FL may sell the results on eBay to throw me my last big party when the time comes LOL Any leftover beef, even deli slices can go in for a short swim and bingo, some good rolls and my hot gardinara and I've got an unauthentic but super tasty and very satisfying sandwich with little prep work or time spent in the kitchen. Bravisimo! Delissio, "Now That's (not) Italian"!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2007/02/02 13:24:27 (permalink)
    No problem MFL, it was bordering on a rhetorical question anyway. As I stated above, I have no doubt that it would be a tasty sandwich, merely questioning its authenticity in regards to calling it an "Italian Beef Sandwich". You have answered my question and confirmed my suspicions on all counts.

Now, aren't you supposed to be on a plane to Jamaica right about now? Why are you hanging around answering silly questions from the likes of me when you could be enjoying a big plate of curried goat and conch fritters?

Have fun in the sun, and Go Bears!

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2007/02/02 20:01:56 (permalink)
    Buddy, you silly goose, there aren't any bears in Jamaica. We leave Thursday.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2007/02/02 20:06:17 (permalink)
    No Bears in Jamaica because they're all going to Disney World after winning the Super Bowl!

Have a good trip,

Buddy
    res0a47
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2008/11/04 18:00:57 (permalink)
    My family always likeed the Italian Beef sandwitches and there was this resterraont in champaign, Ill that we would go to get the best Sandwitchs. So one day my mom and I was eating lunch at this one place and there was the Chicago Tribune paper in our booth. So she started looking at it and there was this recipe for Italian roest beef. Ofcorse she took it home with her. Went to the store got the stuff she needed and it was the same recipe that the resterent severded. So from that day on my mom would fix it. Sence then we lost the recipe and mom my passes away in Nov.6 2001. My sister didn't have it or couldn't find it. So I been wanting some and I have a roest in my freezer. When I typed in Italian beef recipes this Chicago Tribune popped up. Thank you so much for haveing it here on your website. I am going to use it. res0a47, Ill.
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2008/11/04 18:09:00 (permalink)
    I feel bad for all the Roadfooders you cannot just walk out thier front door and go to the neighborhood spot and get a good Italian Beef. If you are ever in Chicago.... head to the intersection where Grand Ave and Chicago Ave. meet and get yourself a Boston's Beef.

I somehow do not think their receipe could be reproduced by the Tribune.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2008/11/04 18:22:22 (permalink)
    Bob travels to Illinois quite often, and stops at Portillos for me.However, I have a good recipe that is not the same but good nonetheless:
    Chuck roast, whatever poundage you need
    Cambells Onion Soup
    2 packages Au Jus-water acording to package
    Mix all ingredients and pour over beef roast-
    cover and cook for hours on 225=
    Shred and eat on rolls with provolone cheeses.....
    tracy20
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2008/11/04 19:29:11 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for all the great recipes on this one, I can hardly wait to make one of these at home.... You all are truly the best I love this site!!!
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Italian Beef Recipes - Chicago Tribune 2008/11/04 20:52:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I feel bad for all the Roadfooders you cannot just walk out thier front door and go to the neighborhood spot and get a good Italian Beef. If you are ever in Chicago.... head to the intersection where Grand Ave and Chicago Ave. meet and get yourself a Boston's Beef.

I somehow do not think their receipe could be reproduced by the Tribune.

What a small world! Last Wednesday I had my first Italian beef at Joe Boston's and it was very good(thinly sliced and mildly seasoned). The Italian sausage also ranked high. Boston's has been around longer than most Chicago Italian beef stands and is a well guarded secret.

CSD PhD-Professor of Hot Dogs
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1