Italian Beef in Houston

Author
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
2006/06/29 10:32:09 (permalink)

Italian Beef in Houston

One of the sandwiches I've been wanting to wrap my hands around for a long time is the famous Chicago Italian beef. Doing some research in La Porte, TX, earlier this year I happened on JC's Chicago Hot Dogs, 9606-D Spencer Hwy. The cross street is Underwood; it's about about 2 miles south of 225 and 3 miles west of 146. Going across on Spencer from I-45 will take you a looooong time because of all the traffic signals.

JC is a Chicagoan who’s been down here many years and has retired here. He uses Vienna Beef provisions and sells some in the store. I saw a rack with jars of sport peppers and a brand of chips I’ve never heard of that I presume are a Chicago favorite. I guess he’s also got the neon green relish and pickle spears, but I didn’t specifically see them.

I haven't developed a taste for the Chicago style dog but the thing I really like is the Italian Beef, served on a Gonella roll with either hot giardinera or sweet peppers and onions. I’ve only had the hot version (and Chicagoans like their giardinera pretty hot). This is an awesome sandwich.

JC says most Chicago ex-pats who come in order a dog and an Italian, but I found the combination a bit too much food. The Italian Beef is a very substantial sandwich.

There are a couple of tables and stools but most of the business seems to be take-out. This is close to a 60 mile round trip from where I live so I've only been a couple of times and I always eat in; I don’t think the Italian would travel very far without getting pretty soggy.

JC is a friendly guy. The place is decorated with Cubs and Bears paraphernalia and is closed Sundays so, as JC says, he can stay home and watch the Bears lose.

Here’s a link to the menu with prices and hours on a La Porte hometown website:

http://www.laportetexas.net/jcschicago.jpg

7 Replies Related Threads

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2006/06/29 12:08:08 (permalink)
    What's the brand of chips? I can't think of anything unique to Chicago.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2006/06/29 16:34:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

What's the brand of chips? I can't think of anything unique to Chicago.
    Sorry, I don't remember. I was too stuffed to write it down when I got back in the car. Seems like it was 2 names _____ and _____ but I'm not sure.
    cito4633
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2006/06/29 16:55:34 (permalink)
    My guess would be that he serves either "Jay's" or "Vitner's" potato chips. Both brands are native to Chicago.
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2006/08/05 22:48:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cito4633

My guess would be that he serves either "Jay's" or "Vitner's" potato chips. Both brands are native to Chicago.

Turns out it was Block and Barrel which is a brand distributed by Sysco in Houston, but I've never heard of it. Pretty good chips. He also carries some Lays brands.
    Pirate Paul
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2007/01/08 13:57:55 (permalink)
    A "Chicago style" hot dog place once opened in Studio City, California, and I liked it better than most. Seemed to be grilled, not boiled. So I look forward to finding out if this JC's resembles it.
    Wish that Jody Maroni's Sausage Kingdom, Weiner Factory and others in L.A. would open here. James Coney is not what it used to be back in the 60s and 70s. I wonder why Vienna Brand won't retail their Fire Dog and other products direct to the street.
    There used to be an Italian Beef Company on the Gulf Freeway, south of downtown Big H, back in those days too. That was a great sandwich too. So I'll try that at JC's in LaPorte.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2007/01/10 08:45:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip Oltheimmer. I swung by there last night after work and picked up some Chicago Dogs. They were very good, better than James Coney Island. I hadn't had a good one since Big Franks closed. I hope to go this weekend for the Italian Beef.

joe
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Italian Beef in Houston 2007/01/10 16:54:41 (permalink)
    That looks good except for the Dr. Pepper. Add a cold mug of beer instead, and it would be great.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1