Italian Beef in St Louis Mo

Author
foodsmythought
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2006/01/31 01:06:23 (permalink)

Italian Beef in St Louis Mo

Hi Everyone, I am a faithful reader of this website. Now that I've got the last of the 4 kids off to college, its my time now! Need suggestions on Italian Beef, where can I get it in St Louis area? Have tons of suggestions on some of my favorite food finds and will post as soon as I learn to maneuver myself around the website! Sneak peak.....BBQ smoked spaghetti anyone?

11 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/01/31 01:50:24 (permalink)
    Can't help much on Italian Beef in St. Louis but, check out the News Forum. We're planning a tour of Chicago Italian Beef joints in the near future. Five hours up I-55 and you can join the fun.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/01/31 17:59:51 (permalink)
    Hmmm. Don't know the answer to that one. I'll have to ask a colleague tomorrow who is an IB aficianado.

Some good sandwich places to consider:
    Blues City Deli in Benton Park area (near Hodaks) - I know they serve an Italian Beef
    Adriana's on Shaw on The Hill - great sandwich selection
    La Tropicana on Lindenwood in Southtown - if you need a Cuban
    Iron Barley on Virginia - peppered pork is my favorite!
    Pitted Olive on Hampton - new place, very nice stuff.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/01 00:16:05 (permalink)
    For those truly desperate to try Chicago style Italian Beef (along with other Chicago favorites)

http://www.deepdishpizza.com/index.html
    the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 636
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/01 00:48:23 (permalink)
    Great italian beef can't really be had in St.Louis, but a reasonable option is Classic Red Hots, near the intersection of Olive and Woods Mill in West County. Good hot dogs there, too.

I've also been to Foxy's off of Dorsett, but Classic Red Hots is much better all around.

http://menu.classicredhots.com/

foodsmythought
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/01 15:05:02 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who gave me some leads on Italian Beef. I'm yearning for a sandwich that has so much meat on it that you cant pick it up. I saw a deli (cant remember name) on Food Network in New York, and the sandwich looked like it could weigh 2 lbs, and that was with the meat only! If anyone knows what Im talking about and where I can find such a sandwich please let me know! Thanks a bunch
    foodsmythought
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/01 15:10:45 (permalink)
    Sorry everyone, I'm still working on posting.
    I live in St. Louis, so obviously my above post about New York was only a comparison of what Im looking for in St Louis. Im getting together my list of some of the requests for some specific items I have leads on and will post on the board soon! Thanks for being patient with me on posting. I think if I had a HUGE italian beef sandwich my brain might be less fuzzy!
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/01 18:41:14 (permalink)
    My contact recommends Classic Red Hots as described by stlouisguy. He also recommends getting extra sweet and hot peppers.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/02 01:16:32 (permalink)
    Classic Red Hot carries the full line of Vienna Beef products. Vienna Beef's Italian beef is a well guarded secret. Most Chicagoans have no idea it exists, since Vienna's known for their hot dogs, Polish, corned beef, and pastrami. The Italian Beef is absolutely fabulous and top quality. I highly recommend it. They make two versions of the gravy for it: the original and the Chicago style. The original's my favorite. Have them soak the bun. The secret's the gravy and the length of time sitting in it. If it's been cooked properly, it should be soft and melt in your mouth. There's nothing worse than a dry leathery, stringy, grizzly Italian beef. With Italian beef, it's either absolutely right or forget about it!

CSD
    Born in Chicago
    Raised in Chicago
    Moved to Wisconsin
    Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish, with VB IB being added to the menu this summer
    danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2006/02/02 13:50:22 (permalink)
    I can't imagine ordering an Italian beef anywhere but Chicago, because whatever you get will probably not be authentic. Actually, I never order Italian beef anywhere but Mr. Beef on Orleans on the near north side of Chicago (two blocks from my office), but I know a lot of my fellow Chicagoans say you can get one just as good or better at a ton of other places in town. None ever match up, in my book.
    Still, if I'm ever in St. Louis, Chicago Style Dog, I'll look that place up. It does sound tempting.

ahmadtk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2007/04/23 18:20:12 (permalink)
    I really like Classic Red Hots. Good stuff, plenty of Vienna products.

Another good place is Woofies. It also carries Vienna products.
    steveindurham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Italian Beef in St Louis Mo 2007/04/24 09:02:25 (permalink)
    danimal - you are a lucky guy. When I was in Chicago in Sept. I took a cab to Mr. Beef to get an Italian Beef at Mr. Beef. We got there 5 minutes before it closed and I got the last Italian beef they had. It was incredible. The giardenia there is awesome and I agree with you about the dipping of the bread.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1