Italian Festivals

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2454
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/11 21:44:12 (permalink)
Michael, I take my little girl on scavenger hunts during low tide on the Oregon Coast. She remembers everything we find, and has great memories. Finding things washed up on the coast will bring on a whole new meaning a year from now. Thats when things will be washing up on shore from Japan...............
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/11 22:03:59 (permalink)
PNWCHEF

Michael, I take my little girl on scavenger hunts during low tide on the Oregon Coast. She remembers everything we find, and has great memories. Finding things washed up on the coast will bring on a whole new meaning a year from now. Thats when things will be washing up on shore from Japan...............

Possibly French Dip sandwiches from Phileppe's might be there too? Wern't you going to report on them??? Durn, I'm sure you were!

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/11 22:08:56 (permalink)
PNWCHEF

You'll a Yen to see all the goodies, no doubt you'll be carrying a blowtorch...for safekeeping!
Footnote... many safes and cash are coming ashore in Japan 
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/04/11 22:32:00
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18632
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/11 22:29:44 (permalink)
PNWCHEF

I've always felt sorry for people who didn't get the chance to grow up where the salt water meets the shore. I'm sure she'll remember those outings all of her life.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/11 22:38:38 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

I've always felt sorry for people who didn't get the chance to grow up where the salt water meets the shore. I'm sure she'll remember those outings all of her life.

Indeed, and she should have had the opportunity to taste a Frenck Dip at Philippe"s too!!
BTW PNWCHEF, how was it at Philippe"s?????????????
pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 09:34:51 (permalink)
They were talking about things showing up on the Washington State, Oregon and California beaches for the next one to five years. The light things that float and move easy with the current will be first to show up and then other heavier things will follow for a few years after that.....pnwc
pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 09:56:45 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

Michael, we were at Seaside beach, Pleasure beach, Loardship growing up. We would also get over to Hamonasset beach once in a while, with the larger waves crashing in. We took my little girl Ice skating  last month, she asked me where I learned to Ice skate, I told her, we bought Hockey skates and waited for the ponds to freeze. I remember Beardsley park pond freezing over, that was one hell of a ice skating adventure. I asked my little girl, if she had a chance to spend a week at the beach or go to Disneyland, her answer was the beach, it has always been a special place for her. Your right about the smell of low tide, it brings back a lot of memories, I'm ready for some Fried clams, lobster rolls, and good pizza and dogs from Ct.............I told my wife, you really haven't lived until you have tried some of these foods with the smell of the ocean and waves crashing into the seawall. I also wouldn't want to die without having them again.....................When ever we bring these things up, it makes me want to plan a trip........
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8477
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 10:19:25 (permalink)
I didnt have saltwater, but I had lake Michigan literally across the street from my home growing up. Scavenger hunts, diving off 100 year old boat launches, and miles of unused shoreline was priceless. In winter we would sit on the giant ice formations on the beach, only to see them drifting away the next day( our parents would have killed us!) In spring we would join the annual smelt fisherman at night, probably being a pain in their a**; and after a summer of daily adventures in and out of the lake, we would gather in fall, watching the water turn a bit angrier, and build bonfires the likes some have never seen.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 12:43:38 (permalink)
The first seawall my grandson ever saw was the one directly in front of where Skipper's used to be at Lordship (and at that time was another restaurant, albeit not as beat up and messy as Skipper's, but serving good food, including the kid's first bowl of clam chowder). You'll likely recall that just over the wall are all these huge rocks running down to the water. The kid -- he was 4 at the time, I think -- wouldn't leave till he'd climbed on every rock in sight, chasing every gull that dared land.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8067
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 12:48:24 (permalink)
Loving this thread, never having dipped my toes in the Atlantic.

What are those foods of which you speak?

Avocados, pistachios, Valencia Oranges and Phillipe's French Dip sandwiches don't sound that exciting anymore.

What does one drink at a Sandbar?

The sound of waves crashing on the shore is a wonderful sleep aid.  The smell of the salt water always brings me back to visiting my grandparents when they lived at Venice Beach.

Memories.  They can be a wonderful thing. Time to make some more!
pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 13:11:12 (permalink)
mar52

Loving this thread, never having dipped my toes in the Atlantic.

What are those foods of which you speak?

Avocados, pistachios, Valencia Oranges and Phillipe's French Dip sandwiches don't sound that exciting anymore.

What does one drink at a Sandbar?

The sound of waves crashing on the shore is a wonderful sleep aid.  The smell of the salt water always brings me back to visiting my grandparents when they lived at Venice Beach.

Memories.  They can be a wonderful thing. Time to make some more!

Mar, there are people outside Calif that are thinking how great Avocados, pistachios, Valencia oranges and a trip to Phillipe's is. Sometimes Paradise is everyday living, we just don't see it any more. I try to remember that with my little girl, special times don't only   happen on vacation.............pnwc
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 13:11:43 (permalink)
One drinks whatever one wishes at a sandbar -- as long as one doesn't get caught.

These foods include warm buttery chunks of lobster in toasted hot dog buns; pint containers of softshell clams delicately battered and fried and served with lemon wedges and tartar sauce; twin baked lobsters stuffed with lobster and crab, and maybe scallops; split frankfurters grilled and served on toasted buns with mustard, relish, sauerkraut and chopped onions; chowder brimming with clams; breaded and fried soft shell crabs slapped between two pieces of toast, eyes intact and staring at you. These are a few of foods of which we speak.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8067
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 13:21:31 (permalink)
twin baked lobsters stuffed with lobster and crab

OMG

And then there's everything else!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 13:26:33 (permalink)
Indeed there is!
pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 14:09:34 (permalink)
I second the Softshell Crab....Stuffed and baked twin lobster.......Clams  anything, that begin with, How many, and ends with here is your order sir. yes Stuffed and baked clams also...............Rye Bread .........Hard rolls.....Hot dogs anyplace in Ct, if there is a line, there is a reason, pick anyone ......Apizza with Scamotz.............Meatball Grinder with mozz cheese baked in a pizza to a crispy hot melted mess. Italian sausage from any Italian sausage and pepper grinder.........Your turn Michael...........don't be shy.............
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 14:28:11 (permalink)
Well, Foxon Park soda, Bantam corn, steak sandwiches on toast, Lieutenant River blue claws, fried scallops, snapper blues, cheese Danish and steel-colored chowder.

I think we got most of 'em.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 15:38:51 (permalink)
We had the Rosinni Festival in Knoxville and it was gathered the entire lenght of Gay St. in Knoxville which is the main downtown St. in Knoxpatch.  Super good food and super art and super music.

The four lane St. of Gay St. was so crowded that we walked with a snails pace.

http://www.knoxvilleopera.com/rossini/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 15:59:11 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Well, Foxon Park soda, Bantam corn, steak sandwiches on toast, Lieutenant River blue claws, fried scallops, snapper blues, cheese Danish and steel-colored chowder.

Crumb cake, good one with the steak sand on toast...............
chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 17:16:00 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

You left out French Dips, but I suspect PNWCHEF will cover them, especially the one he had at Philippe's!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 17:20:08 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

You left out French Dips, but I suspect PNWCHEF will cover them, especially the one he had at Philippe's!

Back where PNWCHEF and I come from a French dip is when you toss a pain-in-the-butt Frog into Long Island Sound when you sick of his insults.

chewingthefat
Sirloin
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 17:41:26 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Back where PNWCHEF and I come from a French dip is when you toss a pain-in-the-butt Frog into Long Island Sound when you sick of his insults.

Michael, are refering to me? If so, where the heck are the insults? I'm having a laugh, I thought, with Bill.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3737
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 17:47:09 (permalink)
When I was a kid, we had what we called "Italian picnics" put on by St. Anthony's church.  I guess they would be what you call a festival.  It would always be held in a large grassy area with a huge tent set up with tables, and lots of booths.

Every kind of Italian food that one could imagine was served, along with  steamed clams and beer and homemade red wine.  There was always  a cake booth with a huge Italian rum cake being raffled off.  That cake was so delicious with it's  rum cream filling!

There would be a few tiny rides for the kids and lots of gambling games and Bingo for the adults.  As most of the people on the small street that I lived were Italian,  our  whole neighborhood would go.........................wonderful food, great fun and one of the highlights of the summer for me.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 17:58:31 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Michael, are refering to me? If so, where the heck are the insults? I'm having a laugh, I thought, with Bill.

Heck no. Frog is a perjorative term for Frenchman. Last I heard you weren't French. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 19:02:23 (permalink)
PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Crumb cake, good one with the steak sand on toast...............

I'll bet I've not had crumb cake since I was maybe 12 years old. (Right Al, that was back in the 1800s.)

But, mentioning steak sandwiches got to me. I'm having two for dinner, using some thinly-sliced eye of the round, sliced onion and sliced heirloom tomato on toast.

pnwchef
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 21:36:00 (permalink)
You now have me wanting a Steak sand on toast. I have a large vending operation that we buy pre packaged danish for the snack machines. I always smile when I'm going down the list of danish and I see Cheese danish, I always buy a case.............We also buy Coffee cake, in these parts the company is called Nemos, back east it was always Drake cakes......We used to round up 18 kids on the block and play baseball in the field behind my house. After the game we would all head down the street to  small store named Mickey's a tuna on white with a National Beverage bottle of Lemon and lime soda........total cost .15 cents........the rich kids got Ham and cheese for .20 we couldn't afford that................pnwc
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 22:04:51 (permalink)
Drake's Cakes? Devil Dogs! When Daughter No. 1 was living in Connecticut she'd send me care packages of  Devil Dogs. Can't get them here.  As kids we'd head for Charley Marchito's grocery for sub sandwiches and those individual Frisbie pies (the lemon and the pineapple pies were my favorites), along with an X-Tra Cola or a Pepsi. Total cost? Thirty-five cents -- and charge it, please.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4634
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/12 23:57:19 (permalink)
so I guess there are no Italian festivals?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4541
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/13 07:22:46 (permalink)
bill voss
so I guess there are no Italian festivals?

Only on the east coast!
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4634
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/13 08:25:41 (permalink)
Joe, I don't think Mob Hits qualify as "festivals".
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re:Italian Festivals 2011/04/13 09:24:19 (permalink)
bill voss

Joe, I don't think Mob Hits qualify as "festivals".

Doesn't that depend on who is hit?
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1