The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Italian Festivals

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64
jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 12:28 PM (permalink)
This weekend there was an Italian Street Fair in our area. What food would you expect to find at an event with an Italian label?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
    Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 1:06 PM (permalink)
    For me there'd have to be sausage and peppers, fried dough with sauce and cheese, and ices.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
      Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 4:09 PM (permalink)
      a few that come to mind, personal favorites of course: lemon ice, cannoli, assorted cookies I don't know their names for except cuccidati, eggplant Parmesan or other eggplant dishes.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
        Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 4:14 PM (permalink)
        I'm with Michael Italian sausage and peppers, It would be nice to have a mobile wood burning pizza oven for signature Italian thin crust pizza. Italian meatball grinders and maybe an Italian Beef sandwich.....I feel they should have a good showing of Italian food dishes, then fill in with some other kinds of food.................

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
          Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 5:02 PM (permalink)
          All the delicious Italian Cold Cut meats that could be made to order size wise, in a crusty Italian sub roll...premium olive oils for sale and balsamic vinegars, breads, sauces, desserts, hopefully Chef Boyardee himself, serving up his various tasty fares!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 5:23 PM (permalink)
            FYI: There really was a Chef Boyardee, except his name was Boiardi -- Ettore Boiardi. He had restaurants in Cleveland.

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Sun, 04/10/11 5:35 PM (permalink)
              Michael Hoffman

FYI: There really was a Chef Boyardee, except his name was Boiardi -- Ettore Boiardi. He had restaurants in Cleveland.

Did he like the French Dip at Philippe's?
              My first cousin, Morgan O'Brien was a co founder of Nextel, he owns the former Boyardee mansion on the Eastern shore, you would not believe this place, actually he has had it on the market for about 3 years. He did well, methinks the Boyardees did better!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 7:27 AM (permalink)
                Here in Boston we are blessed with a very large italian community, many first generation and new imergrants as well. The festivals take place all thru the summer months usualy paying homage to a patron Saint.
                The street   fare is always a huge hit with pitzels, cannoli, calamari, clams on the half shell, the sausage and peppers, steak and cheese, italian ice, gelato and of course pizza, usualy scilian style. If you are lucky enough to know some of the vendors there can be homemaid wine, lemmonchello and grappa available to some friends. Chow Jim

pnwchef

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 9:28 AM (permalink)
                  chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

My first cousin, Morgan O'Brien was a co founder of Nextel, he owns the former Boyardee mansion on the Eastern shore, you would not believe this place, actually he has had it on the market for about 3 years. He did well, methinks the Boyardees did better!

My fifth cousin on my mothers side drove by that house on her way to get a steak dinner at the local waffle house..........GGEEEZZZ small world..............

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 11:30 AM (permalink)
                    PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

My fifth cousin on my mothers side drove by that house on her way to get a steak dinner at the local waffle house..........GGEEEZZZ small world..............

If you ad brought her a French Dip from Philippe's, she could have stayed home!

jajarino68

• Total Posts: 152
                      Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 12:36 PM (permalink)
                      Well let me tell you, Knoxville needs Italian vendors. There is a yearly festival held called the Rossinni Festival and Italian Street Fair.
                      http://www.knoxvilleopera.com/rossini/
                      The Italian food selections were limited. Lot of the food was not even Italian and the event still is a big draw.

If you know some Italian vendors who travel, please send them this way. They are very much needed.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 12:52 PM (permalink)
                        chewingthefat

PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

My great, great, great grandfather bought the Eastern Shore, and then sold it for three oysters and an apizza to a grower of black-eyed Susans, and he got the better deal.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                          Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 2:49 PM (permalink)
                          Large amounts of Sambuca.

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 5:01 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

chewingthefat

PNWCHEF

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

My great, great, great grandfather bought the Eastern Shore, and then sold it for three oysters and an apizza to a grower of black-eyed Susans, and he got the better deal.

My great, great,  grandfather, hated that apizza!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 5:08 PM (permalink)
                              Your great, great grandfather was a cretin.

pnwchef

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                 Chewy, Say you don't like Scamorza cheese and you will have a horse head in you bed tonight, but then again, that could be normal for you..................

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                                  Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                  Not to be Debbie Downer in the midst of all these glowing comments, but I (we) haven't been to an Italian Festival in at least 10 years. Even here in the NY Metro area (i.e. Italian Festival Central) I find that the quality of food is usually not all that good, not to mention the hygiene of some of these fly-by-night vendors.

When we first moved to Scotch Plains 12 years ago, everyone told us that we neeeded to try the local Italian Festival, which is a big deal here. After a practically inedible Sausage & Peppers and the smallest (and overpriced) clams on the half shell I have ever seen,  we called it quits, forever.

There must be 50 local Italian Delis within 20 miles of here that do a reliably better job, 24/7/365. Going to an Italian Festival (even San Gennaro, the Mother of all Italian Festivals) seems to me like a waste of time and money.

Sorry.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 7:21 PM (permalink)
                                    PNWCHEF

Chewy, Say you don't like Scamorza cheese and you will have a horse head in you bed tonight, but then again, that could be normal for you..................

He probably never even heard of it. He's from Maryland, for goodness sake. All they know there is crabcakes, pit beef and Gary Williams.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                      Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 7:30 PM (permalink)
                                      jajarino68:  
                                      From looking at the vendor list on the map on your Italian Festival website, I can see what you mean: 1 Pizza place, 1 Italian Coffee, and 3 or 4 Italian Ices out of over 150 vendors doesn't sound very Italian to me, especially when I see 2 or 3 Greek places listed. 

pnwchef

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 7:42 PM (permalink)
                                        Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

He probably never even heard of it. He's from Maryland, for goodness sake. All they know there is crabcakes, pit beef and Gary Williams.

I think your right Michael, a person would have to be brought up a bit more refined to enjoy the true pleasures of this cheese.................I found yelling, Jerry, large pie extra Scamotz, when I opened the front door of Jerry's Apizza work the best...............

Michael Hoffman

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Hey, I'm hoping to get to Frank Pepe's this year. A plain pie for me there. And fried clams. lobster rolls and split-grilled franks from a place where I can turn around while eating and watch the waves break on the beach.

pnwchef

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:13 PM (permalink)
                                            I could smell the low tide as you speak...........

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:25 PM (permalink)
                                              PNWCHEF

Nope,just dogs, PNWCHEF!

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:30 PM (permalink)
                                                Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

Don't forget we like tales of French Dip delights, from foodies who take exotic trips hither and yon!

<message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 04/11/11 8:46 PM>

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:38 PM (permalink)
                                                  Michael Hoffman

Indeed, The first family of Maryland, the Cretins, he screwed Lord Baltimore when he sold him on the idea of a baseball team!

chewingthefat

Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                                    PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

PNWCHEF

I think your right Michael, a person would have to be brought up a bit more refined to enjoy the true pleasures of this cheese.................I found yelling, Jerry, large pie extra Scamotz, when I opened the front door of Jerry's Apizza work the best...............

Too bad Jerry always threw your azz out, as soon as you opened your mouth...Jerry and I went to different schools together!

chewingthefat

• Location: Emmitsburg, Md.
                                                      Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      PNWCHEF

Nope, that was your upper lip you smelled!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                                        • Location: Rogue Valley
                                                        Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                                        chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Indeed, The first family of Maryland, the Cretins, he screwed Lord Baltimore when he sold him on the idea of a baseball team!

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 9:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          PNWCHEF

I have never understood people not loving that wonderful aroma.  It is something I dream about. Because I know it means pisser clams for steaming and fun on sandbars.

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Italian Festivals Mon, 04/11/11 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                                            chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Bravo!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 64

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com