Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx

Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
2009/01/30 09:01:33 (permalink)

Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx

I came across this article: http://www.yournabe.com/articles/2009/01/29/bronx/doc4981db56ccb85802552633.txt

An authentic Italian Hot Dog consists of a dog (2 for a double) that is fried or sauteed; not boiled. Unless he means boiled in oil.

14 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 09:20:15 (permalink)
    Weird!

He would probably do better with pizza.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 21:34:57 (permalink)
    Practically every geographic area has its indigenous food and in Central New Jersey (specifically Essex County and environs) that food is indisputably the Italian Hot Dog.

What has always surprised me lo these many years of acquaintance with the Italian Hot Dog is that this extraordinary comestible has never made inroads outside its shtetl  (Yiddish for hood) of origin.

Whereas the Philly Cheese Steak has gained national fame and throngs who’ve never been to Salisbury now enjoy Salisbury steak, the Italian Hot Dog has still never risen above local hero status.

It’s hard to figure, especially considering the food value it represents. Lots of carbs, calories and taste for not a lot of money. A double traditionally goes for anywhere between $5.50 and $7.50. And unless you are a very big person, one should keep you satiated at least until the next meal.

It is among my top five favorite foods.

I’m sure it’ll go national one day. Sometimes it takes years to become an overnight sensation. Someone with pockets deep enough will find just the right demographics. Hence, I am heartened when someone opens up an Italian Hot Dog restaurant, thereby assuring the proverbial fire is kept lighted.  I’ve seen it dim over the years, with only a few good places keeping the faith.

Happily, of late there is a renaissance, with about three venues in New Jersey serving a world-class example and a half dozen or so more managing a more than passable specimen. 

That said, an Italian Hot Dog across the river spells road trip to me. I’ll give it until about spring…. wait until it’s up and running, set the GPS for Italian Hot Dog, and then descend.

Vive Le Italian Hot Dog!

The Bear
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 22:00:22 (permalink)
    <<Practically every geographic area has its indigenous food and in Central New Jersey (specifically Essex County and environs) that food is indisputably the Italian Hot Dog.

I'm sure the argument could be made that the Sloppy Joe (the Local Sandwich, not the hamburger-y thing) would be also right up there as an Essex County Specialty.

In any event, The Bronx has no hot dog culture at all that I know of, so I'm not sure at all if The Italian Hot Dog Goes to The Bronx will work out. The article notes that he didn't succeed with a Pizzeria. Doesn't bode well for something virtually unknown up there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18940
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 22:13:37 (permalink)
    ScreenBear

... and throngs who’ve never been to Salisbury now enjoy Salisbury steak ...

Ahem! Salisbury steak is named for Dr.  J. H.Salisbury, not for a place named Salisbury,

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 22:37:52 (permalink)
    ken8038

<<Practically every geographic area has its indigenous food and in Central New Jersey (specifically Essex County and environs) that food is indisputably the Italian Hot Dog.

I'm sure the argument could be made that the Sloppy Joe (the Local Sandwich, not the hamburger-y thing) would be also right up there as an Essex County Specialty.

In any event, The Bronx has no hot dog culture at all that I know of, so I'm not sure at all if The Italian Hot Dog Goes to The Bronx will work out. The article notes that he didn't succeed with a Pizzeria. Doesn't bode well for something virtually unknown up there.
    I think they sell some hotdogs at Yankee Stadium.

DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/30 23:15:53 (permalink)
    Ken,
    I believe the article said that there was a failed pizzeria owned by people from upstate before the Italian Hot Dog Joint leased the space.

Dave
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/31 00:21:41 (permalink)
    My apologies to the good doctor.

The Bear
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/01/31 08:23:13 (permalink)
    Dave, you're right. I was reading too fast. Thanks for the correction.

<<I think they sell some hotdogs at Yankee Stadium.

True, but so does the other 29 (?) ballparks. That doesn't make any of the cities they are in Hot Dog Meccas any more than it makes the Bronx a Hot Dog Mecca.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/01 08:46:10 (permalink)
    I think the hot dog culture in the Bronx is the same as in Manhattan - push carts, or stores with flat grills, mustard, sauerkraut, onion sauce. House O' Weenies made their franks in the Bronx for ages; Sabrett is made in the same, enlarged plant there now as well. There were other Kosher and non-Kosher producers, and Stahl-Meyer is still there as well.

St. Barnabus Hospital is down the street from Frankie Franks, so the restaurant will get the lunch trade. While the area is called Bronx's Little Italy, I get the feeling many of the local residents are now Spanish. Only time will tell if the restaurant gets enough repeat business to thrive.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/13 15:35:13 (permalink)
    ken8038

The Bronx is a part of the NYC. And Franks are one of the many staples of NY road foods.  So how can anyone conclude that there's no Hot Dog culture in the BX.  Have you ever took a walk down Fordham Rd , 3rd ave in the S. Bronx or Jerome Ave approachin Yankee stadium.  If so one would notice they're Frank stands on almost every other block.  I'm from the NE Bronx and I always had a passion for a good frank. Not to mention the variety of  Franks brands and condiments that are sold in our local Pathmark and bodegas.  And the article notes that the pizzeria that went belly up was operated by people who weren't even from the city.  But more like upstate. That's not surprising.  If you want to operate a pizzeria in NY then you need to come correct with it, or don't come at all.  In any case, I can't see why an Italian Hot dog would'nt do well in the BX, Arthur Ave at that?

John Fox
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/15 08:25:10 (permalink)
    It remains to be seen if Frankie's Franks succeeds. There are many factors involved (location being one) that don't have to do with whether or not an area has an Italian population that would support a product with an Italian background. New Jersey, a state with a definite hot dog culture, and where the Italian Hot Dog was born, has areas that don't do well as far as this sandwich goes.

Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs and Sausages opened a second location in North Brunswick that went under in large part because the people living in the area were not familiar and didn't take to the Italian Hot Dog. Yet fairly close by is Jersey Joe's which seems to be doing well. I can't tell you why, I can only speculate. Perhaps there are a lot of North Jersey transplants in the area. In West Jersey, the Italian Hot Dog is virtually unknown.

When I went to school in South Jersey, panzarottis were (and still are ) popular. A panzarotti is similar to a calzone. It's been so long that I forget the difference.  Up north, the panzarotti is unknown and I don't know of any pizzeria that makes one. Someone attempting to sell one may or may not succeed.

Despite being located in Bronx's Little Italy section, I'm sure most people aren't familiar with a Jersey style Italian Hot Dog. I question how familiar the owner of Frankie's is with it. He doesn't seem to realize that the actual hot dogs are fried or sauteed. He boils his.
    Buddy Dek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 133
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/15 18:42:37 (permalink)
    Isn't Marrathon Enterprises, the maker  or distributor of NY's  sabrett dogs located in the Bronx?  New york has a few well known brands, definitely no Italian style dogs. YET!
    John Fox
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/15 19:30:01 (permalink)
    Marathon Enterprises is located in Englewood, N.J. They moved recently from East Rutherford, N.J. The plant where Sabrett hot dogs are made is in the Bronx. Sabrett was bought out by Marathon. Originally Sabrett was headquartered in Jersey City, N.J. Their hot dogs and other meat products were also made there.
    eggsactley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Italian Hot Dogs coming to the Bronx 2009/02/16 20:01:15 (permalink)
    I'll check this place out next time I have business at the Bronx DMV office. They are on the right track using Addeo's bread, there is none better imho.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1