Italian Sausage on a Cart....

Author
jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 759
2014/04/30 14:18:16 (permalink)

Italian Sausage on a Cart....

I'd like to offer IS on my cart as a limited supply special, maybe one day a week.Limited, so in case they don't sell I can eat them myself and not get sick of them.
Thing is, the only ones I've found edible come packaged raw, which is a no-no on my cart. So I figured I'd pre-cook them in water then finish them on the grill to order.

Trying to figure the logistics.
1. Cook them right before I go out then either keep them warm or cool them off.
2. Cook a batch then freeze them then cook to order.
3. Keep warm in pasta sauce.
4. ...or your idea.

Do they survive freezing well?
Would serve them with peppers and onions and maybe Mozzarella or Provalone. With or w/o sauce.
Any thoughts?

8 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2094
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/04/30 16:00:49 (permalink)
    I don't think freezing for a couple of days would hurt the sausage.    ... Why not try both ways and see which is better.
    HotDogopolis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/04/30 21:29:31 (permalink)
    I have a local sausage maker make three different sausages for me. I have a different "Sausage of the Week" each week. That really keeps my customers interested. They check in each week to see what the special will be.

The sausages come from the butcher shop raw, but frozen. In my commissary, I heat to the proper internal for pork sausage by simmering water, then quickly place in ziploc bags and then directly to the freezer. I take out what I think I'll need for the day, and place in my meat cooler along with my other dogs, and sausages. You should NOT take raw sausages to your site. It's against most health department's rules to deal with raw meat on your cart. Cook them at you commissary, freeze or refrigerate. Heat them to 165 on a grill (if allowed) or a steam pan on your cart.

Please check with your local health department on how to deal with raw meat at your kitchen/commissary. Hopefully they will allow you to do the par-boiling there, bu be prepared for them to tell you that you must use a full commercial kitchen, not just a regular cart commissary. The one thing that would be unheard of, would be them allowing you to cook raw meat on the cart.

I hope you are able to find a way to serve a good quality Italian sausage. Customers love them!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10264
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/01 02:12:25 (permalink)
    The only problem with freezing them and then thawing them-----If you don't use them you're not "Supposed To" re-freeze them. You'll need to eat them or toss them IF you follow the rules.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/01 15:17:41 (permalink)
    here's a thought......what about taking them unthawed and nuke em for a couple min.?
    I get Italian rope sausage cut them to length, freeze 3 or 4 what ever per bag take out what I need for the day let them unthaw pop in nuker for 2 min. throw em on the grill to brown up,... dun, don't over nuke the ends turn to rubber and it's disgusting, also if your gonna boil them don't boil to where they split open they loose all the goodies. i've done it that way at events where elec was at a premium, but keep a close eye on em boil slo..... just my.02 worth..Buck
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/01 17:41:21 (permalink)
    Buck, it's on a cart. No nuker.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2398
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/02 21:26:02 (permalink)
    jcheese, you may want to look into smoked sausage that is already cooked. I'm sure your health inspector would love you for it. Some that may work on your car could be a Spicy Cajun, German/Polish, or Texas Hot link.................These will cook up just like your dogs would...........pnwc
    jcheese
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/03 18:02:38 (permalink)
    I do already sell smoked sausages.
    Since peppers grow so well in my garden, I wanted to do the IS thing with them and onions and maybe mushrooms. With or without pasta sauce. It's all good with my HD if cooked at the commissary.
    Personally, I like IS done on the grill with BBQ Sauce.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2398
    Re:Italian Sausage on a Cart.... 2014/05/04 10:02:26 (permalink)
    jcheese: Italian Sausage is one of the sausages I have always had a harder time holding. I feel the best results are by cooking with dry heat. I don't think precooking and reheating will give you the quality your looking for. One of the ways I have made Italian sausage on the East coast is Sausage and pepper grinders. This is done by browning/ cooking the sausage then adding peppers until soft then adding marinara sauce. This could be made at the commissary and kept warm on the cart. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1