Alright KC fans, this is it! My wife has reversed engineered the famous KC Italian Steak Sandwich from the Chicago version above (http://www.quickandsimple.com/recipe.php?id=758
thank you Bernie for URL) and has given me permission to share the recipe with you. It may not be exact but, it is very close:
- Flour for dredging
- 2-8 to 10-oz. flank steaks, cut in half
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 cup of dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 4-10" sub-buns
- BBQ sauce - (perferably Zarda's, Gates or KC Masterpiece)
- Tomato slices
- Onion slices
- Hamburger dill chips
1. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a smooth clean surface.
2. Flip each steak on the flour a couple of times, then use meat mallet to pound each piece to a 1/4" thin.
3. Mix eggs and water in a wide dish.
4. In a separate dish, combine bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
5. Dip steaks into egg mixture, then dredge them in the bread crumb mixture, turning to coat.
6. Put the steaks onto a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer for 1/2 hour to setup.
7. Spray griddle/skillet w/ non-stick spray and heat on stove to medium heat.
8. Grill steaks 2-3 minutes per side until lightly brown.
9. Turn heat down to medium low and brush top of steak w/ BBQ sauce then turn over, continue to cook for 1 minute.
10. Repeat on other side and then remove from heat.
11. Split and lightly grill sub-buns.
12. Put more sauce on bun and add steak.
13. Garnish w/ tomato, onions and pickles.