Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Italian beef in Evanston, Ill.

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101
loboheeler

• Total Posts: 4
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Fri, 12/23/05 9:38 AM (permalink)
Yes, there are LOTS of small places where you can get Italian Beef in Chicagoland. Many of these do not cook their own beef, but buy the prepared roasts from distributors. That does not make them bad, just consistant. I had one owner tell me that the spices for the seasoning that comes with the commercial roasts is none other than common pickling spice! It does seem to give the authentic flavor.

I crave this food after living there for three years, and I have tried it at home in other locations. Just get some good cooked roast beef sliced very thin at any Deli counter, soak it in beef broth with the spice overnight before heating, and heap large amounts on a good Italian roll with sauce to please. Do not cook the meat at high heat, just warm it up so that it stays tender.

If you are ever in Albuquerque, there is a place called "Sweet Peppers" just off Central (Route 66) in downtown that is authentic. Run by a guy from Chicago.

As for Giardiniera, that is a subject dear to the hearts of Chicago natives. There are varieties made there that are not available other places. Some have it sent to them while living in other places from friends and relatives!

Gelco1

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Wed, 01/11/06 2:42 PM (permalink)
    I travel entire Chicago area in Sales.

The best beef hands down is Tony's Beef around 7000 S. Pulaski. 5 minutes from Midway Airport. Go during the week at lunch when Tony is there!

guspas

• Total Posts: 197
      RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Fri, 01/20/06 12:51 AM (permalink)
      In Evanston, try the Wiener and Still Champion, 802 Dempster. Been there since 1975. Small mom and pop. Fresh cut fries, natural casing hot dogs. Best Stand in Evanston Hand Down.

Matheos1

• Total Posts: 5
        RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Tue, 01/24/06 11:42 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by guspas

In Evanston, try the Wiener and Still Champion, 802 Dempster. Been there since 1975. Small mom and pop. Fresh cut fries, natural casing hot dogs. Best Stand in Evanston Hand Down.

Matheos1

• Total Posts: 5
          RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Tue, 01/24/06 11:45 AM (permalink)
          quote:

Wiener and still champion USED to be a good mom and pop place (HARVEY)
          Since harv its been bought and sold over and over and lost its quality. This place really looks like a dump, and the food is terrible. The new Indian owner serves INDIAN food along with the regular fast food! Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
            RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Tue, 01/24/06 11:54 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Matheos1

quote:

Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

Great post. I think you meant to post this on the "Roadfood For Bigots" website.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
              RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Tue, 01/24/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by saps

quote:

quote:

Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

Great post. I think you meant to post this on the "Roadfood For Bigots" website.

Oooh, do we have one of those?

guspas

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Fri, 01/27/06 2:07 AM (permalink)
                quote:

quote:

Wiener and still champion USED to be a good mom and pop place (HARVEY)
                Since harv its been bought and sold over and over and lost its quality. This place really looks like a dump, and the food is terrible. The new Indian owner serves INDIAN food along with the regular fast food! Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

The Indian guy had it for 7 years and yes, he did run it into the ground. He sold it in July 2005. The Indian food is gone and it is back to being what it is, a hot dog stand. The new owner has ties to both Toddle House/M and H grill in Hubbard Woods (ask Mr. Stern's thoughts on this restaurant) and Poochies in Skokie. I can assure you, food quality isn't an issue. Go to DD Dogs, Mustards, Bills Drive In. Then go to Wiener and Still Champion. Not even close, IMHO.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 12:19 AM (permalink)
                  tsores, excellent review of Johnnie's on today's featured restaurant. The pictures of the sandwich and the warm weather exterior shots have got me jonesin' for summer! Being in Des Plaines, I guess I should check out their new Arlington Heights location. There's just something ineffable though about being at the North Avenue, Elmwood Park spot. Somehow I think the food would just taste better there. Has anyone been to the northwest location who can comment?

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                    RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 2:30 PM (permalink)
                    Tsores, great review of Johnnie's. I used to eat there when ever we shopped at the Polk Bros.on North Avenue or took the kids to Kiddeland. Any idea whose beef Johnny's uses?

CSD

garryd451

• Total Posts: 699
                      RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 2:43 PM (permalink)
                      Years ago, there was a Amusement Park near Chesterton, Indiana that had the BESTItalian I have ever eaten. The name of the Amusement Park was Enchanted Forest, it is now a water park.

guspas

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 3:25 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Tsores, great review of Johnnie's. I used to eat there when ever we shopped at the Polk Bros.on North Avenue or took the kids to Kiddeland. Any idea whose beef Johnny's uses?

CSD

i believe they get their raw meat from Scala.

chicagostyledog

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 3:45 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

quote:

CSD

i believe they get their raw meat from Scala.

Thanks, I noticed you're in Glenview. Years ago I owned the Action School of Driving in Talisman Village on Golf & Washington. We opened in 1976, the same year the "Works" opened. I used to eat there all the time. In 1978, Hot Dog Island opened in the parking lot on Golf & Washington. They had to vacate 2 years ago when Walgreen's bought the property. They relocated to Dempster & Bronx in Skokie(a terrible corner). It wasn't the right location and the business was sold 3 months ago, while the "Works'" still continues thrive.

CSD

guspas

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 8:32 PM (permalink)

Thanks, I noticed you're in Glenview. Years ago I owned the Action School of Driving in Talisman Village on Golf & Washington. We opened in 1976, the same year the "Works" opened. I used to eat there all the time. In 1978, Hot Dog Island opened in the parking lot on Golf & Washington. They had to vacate 2 years ago when Walgreen's bought the property. They relocated to Dempster & Bronx in Skokie(a terrible corner). It wasn't the right location and the business was sold 3 months ago, while the "Works'" still continues thrive.

CSD

Yes, Hot Dog Island did get into a bad corner. I did stop by to see it when I noticed it was for sale but what they were asking for the business and the building was a little steep. I do drive by there almost every day and I don't see to many people in there. I did notice that they added subs to the menu.

The corner is bad but you have Poochies and Herms just down the road along with Grecian Kitchen and Hubs so the competition is tough.

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                              RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sat, 01/28/06 9:38 PM (permalink)
                              BuddyRoadhouse & chicagostyledog: Thanks for the recognition on the Johnnie's review.

Buddy: Great description of a beef sandwich.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 12:54 AM (permalink)
                                Thanks tsores. Glad you liked it. Both Johnnie's and my description that is.

CSD, your last post brought back memories. I worked at a film & television production company in Glenview in the '80s. We were frequent visitors to both The Works and Hot Dog Island.

Of course I was going to Hot Dog Island when it was in its original building on the west side of Evanston at the intersection of Gross Point Road, Central and one other street, I can't remember. It truly was an island; a little triangle of land created by these three roads all not quite coming together in an intersection. The building was originally a gas station. They created the kitchen and prep area in the old mechanic's bay, with the hot doggers actually standing down in the old grease pit (how appropriate). The customer would be in what was that part of the building where you'd pay for the gas. There was a counter and on the other side, looking up at you would be the guy who would make your dog! It was a lot of fun and good dogs too. We enjoyed their Glenview location for many years but never got to the new Skokie spot. Sad to see them go. It's been years since I've been to The Works. Maybe its time to stop in.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                  RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 7:52 AM (permalink)
                                  hey csd do you remeber mister rickys next to the skokie polk bros.?

chicagostyledog

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                    Phil, I used to work part time at that Polk store while I was in college and had many a skirt steak at Mr. Ricky's. It later became an Edwardo's Pizza. Buddy, the street name you can't remember is "Crawford." Since we're on Crawford, I used to eat breakfast at Sarkis Cafe. What a circus that was. I've been a big fan of Poochie's since Harvey opened the place in the mid 60's. Now it's owned by Chris. The hot dog business in Skokie has always been competitive, especially now with Portillo's near Old Orchard. When Hot Dog Island relocted to Dempster & Bronx, the writing was on the wall(wrong place/wrong time). An article in the January 12th issue of Crain's Chicago Business by Julie Jargon, called "Dog Gone," explains the current trend of the Chicago hot dog. "The Chicago hot dog is being nudged aside by Italian beef, gyros, hamburgers, nachos, and perhaps the cruelest blow to Chiagoans-Wisconsin's resurgent bratwurst." "Hot dog sales at Cellular Field have gone flat, while sales of Italian beef sandwiches have tripled in the last three years." This summer, we're adding an authentic Chicago style Italian beef sandwich to our menu. To be on the cutting edge in the food service business requires offering consistent, high quality road food at reasonable prices. Places like Portillo's, Gene & Judes, and Johnnie's are perfect examples. For us, it's a matter of selecting the right beef, the right bread, and the right giardiniera. We'll have the first cart offering an Italian beef sandwich. Hot dogs & Polish will always remain on the menu. Other options are Vienna corned beef and/or pastrami. We choose Italian beef! We'll reopen on July 1st with the grand opening of the third phase of Prime Outlets Mall in Pleasant Prairie, WI. The third phase will include: Eddie Bauer's, Coach Leather, other new stores, and a food court. Look for the Vienna Beef umbrellas on our cart.

CSD
                                    Born in Chicago
                                    Raised in Chicago
                                    Moved to Wisconsin
                                    First Vienna Beef products in WI/after the last toll booth

guspas

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Thanks tsores. Glad you liked it. Both Johnnie's and my description that is.

CSD, your last post brought back memories. I worked at a film & television production company in Glenview in the '80s. We were frequent visitors to both The Works and Hot Dog Island.

Of course I was going to Hot Dog Island when it was in its original building on the west side of Evanston at the intersection of Gross Point Road, Central and one other street, I can't remember. It truly was an island; a little triangle of land created by these three roads all not quite coming together in an intersection. The building was originally a gas station. They created the kitchen and prep area in the old mechanic's bay, with the hot doggers actually standing down in the old grease pit (how appropriate). The customer would be in what was that part of the building where you'd pay for the gas. There was a counter and on the other side, looking up at you would be the guy who would make your dog! It was a lot of fun and good dogs too. We enjoyed their Glenview location for many years but never got to the new Skokie spot. Sad to see them go. It's been years since I've been to The Works. Maybe its time to stop in.

Buddy

You are incorrect. you are thinking of The Little Island in Evanston. It has no connection with Hot Dog Island. People would refer to it as Hot Dog Island though, hence the confussion. It's still there.

phatphil

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                        the little island was owned by kevin craig a few hundred yards s.e of sarkis, that corner is a hidden gem of roadfood

phatphil

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 11:13 AM (permalink)
                                          to me still the perfect meal is a lean brisket or corned beef at mannys with 2 potatoe pancakes and a green river if poss

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                            RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by phatphil

to me still the perfect meal is a lean brisket or corned beef at mannys with 2 potatoe pancakes and a green river if poss

I always felt the same way about Manny's corned beef until I tried Jake's in Milwakee. It's the same corned beef, but cross cut with just the right amount of fat, served on fresh cut Miller's rye. Miller's has harder crust compared to Rosen's. It's a much heartier rye. Miller's is similar to Baltic Bakery ryes from Chicago. Jake's uses a wonderful Dusseldorf deli mustard with a mild horse radish bite. It's made by Vienna Beef. Green River is my favorite pop, especially served in a paper cone cup at Manny's. Manny's is the best corned beef in Chicago. IMHO, Jake's is the best, period.

CSD

phatphil

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 12:42 PM (permalink)
                                              when i was towing for aaa in skokie as a kid i would go in kaufmans on bronx and dempster and get a half a pound of thin hot cross cut corned beef and grab two mini french onion buns from their bakery and make myself a cheap feast

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:

Buddy

You are incorrect. you are thinking of The Little Island in Evanston. It has no connection with Hot Dog Island. People would refer to it as Hot Dog Island though, hence the confussion. It's still there.

Sorry to contradict here guspas, but before The Little Island was The Little Island it was the original location of Hot Dog Island. We're talking about the '70s here (don't know how old you are guspas, and I don't mean to imply anything negative here but, you may not have even been born when Hot Dog Island was in this spot). C'mon CSD, I need you to back me up on this. BTW, CSD, just checked my map and you are of course correct, Crawford was (and still is) the third street making up the boundaries of the original Hot Dog Island (now The Little Island).

Buddy

phatphil

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                                  it was always hot dog island and my mom n dad are still alive and before that it was a place to get windows repaired

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by phatphil

it was always hot dog island and my mom n dad are still alive and before that it was a place to get windows repaired

A little more information please, phil. Are your mom and dad original owners of Hot Dog Island? Little Island? Are you saying the location at Gross Point/Crawford/Central was not a gas station, but a window repair shop? Some elucidation, please.

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                      RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                                      Just to confuse the issue a bit further, in doing a little research just now, I went to LTHforum, a Chicago culinary chat room, and found mention of a Hot Dog Island located on Devon! In fact, the poster claims to have worked there years ago! Any recollections from any of you geezers out there?

Buddy

phatphil

• Location: loxahatchee, FL
                                                        RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 6:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        it was a pure gas station then a martin station then a window and screen fix it shop then hot dog island as a name for the first few owners i know about

chicagostyledog

• Location: Hot Dog University Chicago, IL
                                                          RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                                          My best friend lived off the corner of Colfax & Crawford. I remember their being a gas station on the tri-corner. Pure and or/Martin seem familiar, but since I bought my gas at Shell on Golf & Crawford, I didn't become interested until it became a hot dog stand in 1961. The hot dog stand was called "Hot Dog Island." When it was sold in 1978 it became "The Little Island" and the Original Hot Dog Island moved to Golf & Washington in Glenview for 25 years. It relocated to Dempster & Bronx in Skokie and was recently sold a few months ago.

Here's the proof:www.ronnierice.com go to photos,go to hot dog island,go to Glenview Announcements June 19, 2003 and read the article.

The Dog has spoken.

CSD

guspas

• Location: Evanston, IL
                                                            RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. Sun, 01/29/06 7:54 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

My best friend lived off the corner of Colfax & Crawford. I remember their being a gas station on the tri-corner. Pure and or/Martin seem familiar, but since I bought my gas at Shell on Golf & Crawford, I didn't become interested until it became a hot dog stand in 1961. The hot dog stand was called "Hot Dog Island." When it was sold in 1978 it became "The Little Island" and the Original Hot Dog Island moved to Golf & Washington in Glenview for 25 years. It relocated to Dempster & Bronx in Skokie and was recently sold a few months ago.

Here's the proof:www.ronnierice.com go to photos,go to hot dog island,go to Glenview Announcements June 19, 2003 and read the article.

The Dog has spoken.

CSD

guess that clears that up. Didn't know it was the original HDI. Might have to stop in and check out little island.

How long was the HDI at the new location before they sold it?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 101

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com