Italian beef in Evanston, Ill.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3301
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 20:42:08 (permalink)
Gus, Hot Dog Island moved to the Skokie store in March of 2003. I discovered it was for sale in the summer of 2005. Irving's and Mage's (both hot dog stands)were previously at that location.

CSD
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 20:57:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

Just to confuse the issue a bit further, in doing a little research just now, I went to LTHforum, a Chicago culinary chat room, and found mention of a Hot Dog Island located on Devon! In fact, the poster claims to have worked there years ago! Any recollections from any of you geezers out there?

Buddy

I started eating hot dogs on Devon in 1955 when our family moved from Roosevelt & Keeler to Lincolnwood. The popular hot dog stand on Devon was Lippy's Red Hot Ranch aka "The Ranch." The Ranch was owned by Lippert Bromberg and his sidekick. They served an identical natural Vienna Beef dog with great fries identical to Gene & Judes. The place was your basic hole in the wall with no phone number or posted hours. Their deep fried potato pancake was awarded "The Greasiest Thing Ever Eaten" trophy. They were located at 3114 W. Devon. I don't recall any other hot dog stands east of the Ranch to Western. The only other hot dog stand to the west of the Ranch was Superdawg on Devon & Milwaukee.

CSD
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 669
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 21:09:34 (permalink)
OK CSD LETS TWIST THAT MEMORY HOW ABOUT HANKS ON NILES CENTER AND DEMPSTER,JORDYS ON SKOKIE B AND GOLF, AND THE HUT ON OAKTON AND CICERO AND ROMIS ON GOLF RD
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 22:07:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Matheos1

quote:
Originally posted by saps

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by guspas

In Evanston, try the Wiener and Still Champion, 802 Dempster. Been there since 1975. Small mom and pop. Fresh cut fries, natural casing hot dogs. Best Stand in Evanston Hand Down.

Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

Great post. I think you meant to post this on the "Roadfood For Bigots" website.

BIGOT?!?!?!
Get real and take a vacation from your fantasy island. You dont have to be a lead health inspector to know by seeing with your own eyes that Indo/Pak run establishments are not as "clean" as the other places.
I think you meant to post your reply on "Roadfood for the people who dont care what dirt bag makes their food" website.

Yes. BIGOT. That is what you are. Read your post.

You said "Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl". Remember? You weren't referring to the establishments as much as you were referring to Indian people with that statement.

Your words, not mine.

chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 22:23:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

OK CSD LETS TWIST THAT MEMORY HOW ABOUT HANKS ON NILES CENTER AND DEMPSTER,JORDYS ON SKOKIE B AND GOLF, AND THE HUT ON OAKTON AND CICERO AND ROMIS ON GOLF RD

This may be tough, but here goes! Romis is now Bumpkins. It was on the south side of Golf, west of the Sunoco station where I used to get Sunoco 260@.25/gallon for my 70 Nova SS396/375. The hut was a shack on Oakton that later became the Record Shack. Jordy's was on the west side of Skokie Blvd near the Door County Fish store where I used to buy great lox. Hank's is a tough one. I thought it was on Niles Center & Main and later became The Coach, but I'm probably wrong. My favorite haunts were in Lincolnwood; Jalin's, Richard's Drive-In, Henry's, Tastee Freeze, Bunny Hutch, Kenilworth Inn, Brady's, Gabby Hartnett's, and Howard Johnson's. On the Chicago border were the Pie Pan and Lockwood Castle-Home of the Giant Killer. Some favorite Skokie places were; Sam & Hy's-my uncle was their deli man, the Cork, Eliott's Pine Log, Wesley's, Alberti's for pizza, the Original Big Herms and Herm's Place. Do you remember what restaurant was there before Lou Malnetti's in Lincolnwood? Do you know what the Inferno in Evanston served?

CSD

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4236
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 23:21:10 (permalink)
Thank you phatphil and CSD for the back-up. For a second there I thought I was going nuts; misremembering a whole chunk of my life (not an uncommon occurence for those of us who were in our youth in the '70s).

guspas, you're gracious response is appreciated.

CSD, I too went to Ronnie Rice's site as one of my sources for confirmation. Next time you visit, there's a certain pizza place he recommends that you might want to check out. 'Nuff said.

There are a couple other mysteries yet to clear up. phatphil you mentioned your parents in one of your posts in relation to Hot Dog Island. There was an implied connection there but no explanation in your later post. Can you shed some light on that please?

Also there's the matter of the woman who posted on LTHforum who claimed to have worked at a Hot Dog Island on Devon Avenue. Is there anyone out there who has a recollection of this location?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 23:37:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog
Do you know what the Inferno in Evanston served?

CSD

Well apparently there was a whole third page of posts that wasn't there the last time I looked! You guys are just a wee bit older than me but not much. I remember almost all of those places. Here's another one: In Morton Grove, on the north side of Dempster, in approximately the same spot where the Harrer Park swimming pool now stands, there was an "A" frame building that sold hot dogs and burgers-anyone remember the name of that place???

Also CSD, The Inferno in Evanston was Burt's (of Burt's Place in Morton Grove) first restaurant. He was in there with some partners in 1961 (+/-). Later he went on to found Gulliver's with Jerry Whatisname prior to starting Pequod's in 1971. He has an original Inferno menu hanging in a frame at his current place, also in Morton Grove. Ronnie Rice was a steady customer at both Pequod's (prior to Burt selling in '86) and the new place around the corner.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/29 23:59:49 (permalink)
Buddy, Inferno in Evanston on Central and Alberti's in downtown Skokie were my high school pizza hangouts after basketball games and on the weekends. I purchased my first home, a townhouse in 1971 in Niles on Washington Street, just north of Dempster. Gulliver's Pizza was across the street on Dempster & Milwaukee. It's now the home of Rossini's, my favorite Italian restaurant. I experienced my first and last anchovy pizza at Pequod's the year it opened. As I recall, their pizza was served on a wooden board. I've known Ronnie Rice for years. He looks exactly like my younger brother. I'm taking a vacation from cyber space for the next week, so don't think I'm being rude if I'm non responsive. I do this a few times a year to keep my eyes healthy.

Take Care

CSD
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 09:17:48 (permalink)

...The hut was a shack on Oakton that later became the Record Shack...

CSD

CSD: To the best of my recollection, The Record Shack and the Hut were in two separate buildings.

tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 12:12:08 (permalink)
There seems to be some question about where to get the "best" Italian Beef sandwich in the Chicago area. There is a way to figure this out for the benefit of everyone: lets set up a tour of the contenders and sample for ourselves. Anyone interested?
saps
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 12:41:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tsores

There seems to be some question about where to get the "best" Italian Beef sandwich in the Chicago area. There is a way to figure this out for the benefit of everyone: lets set up a tour of the contenders and sample for ourselves. Anyone interested?

Click to the following (LTH Forum)

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6631&highlight=beefathon

Then at the page, click on the different dates. They have pics and reviews on the following, done in the manner that you are suggesting:

Freddy's
Chickies
Mr. Beef
Patio
Boston Bar-B-Q
Al's
Carm's
Scatchell's
Johnnies
Carm's
Johnnie's
Buona Beef
Frannie's
Jay's
Tore's
Dino & Nick's
Roma's
Quick Bite
Max's
Damenzo's
Lulu's
Donald's Best
Ricobene's
Freddy's (Bridgeport)
Uncle Johnny's
Chickie's
Freddy's (Cicero, right?)
Parisi's
Tony's Italian Beef
Duke's

If you are not familiar with this site [url]www.lthforum.com[/url], it is excellent for Chicago dining, both fast and high end food, and a lot of hidden gems.

saps
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 14:17:28 (permalink)
Hey CSD, have you seen Cambece's girlfriend? I've heard that she's been seen just over the Illinois border in Wisconsin.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 14:37:54 (permalink)
quote:

I knew there was reason I liked you. This is genius! As we approach the summer barbecue (and barbecue sauce) season, my time is very tight. However, if we can find a time that works, I'm in!

As stated in a recent post, Chicagostyledog is going incommunicado for a bit. We should wait for him to get back before making any final plans.

Once we determine where we're going, we'll need to figure out strategies for both efficient travel routes and efficient eating. I don't know about some of you guys, but the idea of eating 5 or 6 Italian Beef sandwiches, no matter how good they are, in one day, leaves me feeling bloated just sitting here.

Good idea tsores. I'm looking forward to eating and meeting!
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 14:53:24 (permalink)
That makes two. Any other takers?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 17:30:23 (permalink)
quote:

That makes two. Any other takers?

Tsores, you and me and Buddy make three. Where's that Danimal when you need him? He's the one that started this thread in the first place! Next thing you know, I'll be conducting Italian beef taste tests of my sandwich prior to opening day.

CSD
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 17:34:36 (permalink)
quote:

Hey CSD, have you seen Cambece's girlfriend? I've heard that she's been seen just over the Illinois border in Wisconsin.

Correction: She was seen "On The Border," a popular club on HWY 41 in Franklin, WI.

CSD
guspas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 18:30:33 (permalink)
isn't on the border a chain mex rest?
saps
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 18:48:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

Correction: She was seen "On The Border," a popular club on HWY 41 in Franklin, WI.

CSD

Are they familiar with the fine art of dance?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 18:49:05 (permalink)
Some of Wisconsin's finest dancers work at On The Border, a Midwest Premier Gentlemen's Club. Their website can be "Googled." Before it was On The Border, it was Jukebox Saturday Night. They also owned a club in Chicago.

CSD
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 19:52:58 (permalink)
quote:

Not the one that's on the Illinois/Wisconsin border! Wink wink, nudge nudge...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 20:01:44 (permalink)
quote:

In fact tsores, this is such a good idea, it shouldn't be buried in a six month old thread. I think we need to start a new thread in the News Forum. Will you or shall I?

BTW, chicagstyledog, I thought you were going silent for a week. What the heck are you doing here?
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 20:36:03 (permalink)
Chicagoland Italian Beef tour thread started. Who's in?

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11331
guspas
Cheeseburger
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 21:33:28 (permalink)
quote:

Chicagoland Italian Beef tour thread started. Who's in?

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11331

So what's your thinking? North side rests? South side rest? Rest on top 10 list?

There are a lot of beef stands. One day event? 2 day event? Break it up into different geographical regions?

so much to consider.

phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 669
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 23:46:18 (permalink)
about hot dog island, my dad use to buy gas there only or at golf and crawford shell, he distributed glass to hardware stores and the such and one of his stops weekly was restocking window pane stuff in the building hot dog island started in on 5 corners @ gross pt & crawford i dont know who opened it as a hot dog stand but before i moved to florida in 86 my schoolmate kevin bought and ran it but for how long i dont know.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/30 23:54:31 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Not the one that's on the Illinois/Wisconsin border! Wink wink, nudge nudge...

It's actually on the Racine County/Milwaukee County line.

CSD
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/31 00:50:13 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

In fact tsores, this is such a good idea, it shouldn't be buried in a six month old thread. I think we need to start a new thread in the News Forum. Will you or shall I?

BTW, chicagostyledog, I thought you were going silent for a week. What the heck are you doing here?

Plans for my weekly escape were delayed and I never take my pc on vacation.

CSD
Matheos1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/01/31 17:35:30 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Evanston, try the Wiener and Still Champion, 802 Dempster. Been there since 1975. Small mom and pop. Fresh cut fries, natural casing hot dogs. Best Stand in Evanston Hand Down.

Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl!

Great post. I think you meant to post this on the "Roadfood For Bigots" website.

BIGOT?!?!?!
Get real and take a vacation from your fantasy island. You dont have to be a lead health inspector to know by seeing with your own eyes that Indo/Pak run establishments are not as "clean" as the other places.
I think you meant to post your reply on "Roadfood for the people who dont care what dirt bag makes their food" website.

Yes. BIGOT. That is what you are. Read your post.

You said "Thinking about an Indian persons kitchen and hygiene habits makes me want to hurl". Remember? You weren't referring to the establishments as much as you were referring to Indian people with that statement.

Your words, not mine.

Hey,
I'm just trying to help the online community avoid unneccesary trips to the emergency room!

The statement I made does blanket a lot of people. LOL But I would rather be safe than sorry. (READ FIRST SENTENCE)

Listen to my words carefully you will be thanking me next time your sitting on the toilet praying to your higher power to stop the torture.

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/02/03 11:19:32 (permalink)
Wow, who would have thought that my little note back in July 2004 about Mustard's Last Stand would have sparked years of conversation on this site! I love the idea of a Chicago beef taste-off and will definitely participate if possible. Unfortunately, I'm not available much the next few weekends. The weekend that works for me is the first weekend of March.

By the way, someone asked me if I'd tried the Italian beef at Michael's in Highland Park. The answer is yes: Once. And I won't be ordering it again. Very disappointing - no flavor whatsoever.
guspas
Cheeseburger
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/02/03 13:47:40 (permalink)
Dan

What did the Beef set u back?

I had a hotdog once there. I believe it was over $3. One expensive dog.

I'll be up for the tasting. Any idea as to when?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Italian beef in Evanston, Ill. 2006/02/03 14:02:41 (permalink)
Gus, Michael's Italian beef sandwich is $5.99+tax. His 8/1 Vienna hot dog is $2.79+tax and 2.89+tax for char grilled. I sell that same dog for $2.00/tax included and my Italian Beef will go for $4.50/tax included. I may even sell a mini for $3.00 and a "Big Beef" for $6.00. It's just a matter of testing the market.

CSD
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1