Italian deli sandwiches

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2014
2005/01/24 08:54:18 (permalink)

Italian deli sandwiches

Italian deli sandwiches are a staple in New England. Almost all are very good and a few are excellent. Most are about the same, sliced meat and condimemts on a brought in, hopefully fresh sub roll. One chain, although it does not advertise itself as Italian, bakes it's own bread, but in the end produces a product that is IMO below average.
This past Saturday I was running some errands before a storm, and I had not bothered to eat lunch by 2 pm. I decided to make a quick detour to KFC. On the way I was about to pass an Italian deli that is tight up against the street with poor parking. For some reason on this day I decided to pull into the side street to see if it had a back parking lot. It did, and it turns out that the main enterance is from the back parking lot. Pulling into the parking lot of Francesca's Italian Deli and Catering was a good move. The place is old with bare bulb flourecent lighting, a small counter, a deli case and a few tables. The view from the counter seating is of the employee wash sink and the door to the cooler. The view from the cash register/ordering station, into the kitchen, was of an old school kitchen tended by a staff in snow white uniforms. The self service coolers carried Coke products only. Two small shopworn flags, advertise the Red Sox (this IS Red Sox country), and also the New York Yankees. One does not see many Yankee flags around here.
I ordered one of the three house sandwiches, a "Saltimboca". It was "Tender breaded veal, imported prosciutto, fresh mozzarella,& saute mushrooms w/ a garlic sage mayo on grilled Foccacia bread $6.95". I still don't know how to pronounce Saltimboca, and the otherwise friendly counter girl couldn't offer any help in that area, but I did know how to eat it. I doubt that I will ever pass this place to eat at KFC again.
The other house sandwiches were Chicken Avo 5.95, and Palermo 6.50. They also make Pizza, and are open for 3 meals. They have the typical fish specials on Friday. I have passed this place a hundred times without stopping. Are there any hole in the wall gems near you that you should be supporting? The small deli needs your trade, and you need a good,quick meal.
Francesca's is at 79 S. Quinsigamond Ave (off Rt 9) in Shrewsbury Mass. All Major CC. Closed Sunday. 508 798 7999

17 Replies Related Threads

chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/24 12:41:43 (permalink)
    Sounds like a wonderful Roadfood find...............and I have to eat a peanut butter sandwich for my lunch!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18662
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/24 13:21:12 (permalink)
    I'm still trying to figure out how a place that sells anything Italian can use the first part of a German/Yiddish word, such as the first part of delicatessen.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/24 14:31:10 (permalink)
    One of the true joys i have had since moving to Oklahoma was finding those wonderful folks in Krabs---Loverera's Market! I thought for MANY yrs that i would have to drive at least 1000 miles to get real Italian cold cuts and good Italian deli style sandwiches,--i was wrong---and totally delighted that i could enjoy one of the delights of my youth any time---they dont do a veal sandwich---but thier italian subs are fantasic and made even better if you skip the mayo and mustards and ask for thier own House Italian salad dressing!!! Your post got me mouth watering thinking out italian deli---so knowing that the Lovera's were coming up this way friday for the 70th Birthday of our friend--Blues man D.C. Minner--i called them and place a "to-go---delivery order for my ingredient!!! Now i just have to not think about it till it gets here---guess i will just have to make some enchiladas and eat alot BBQ this week to keep my mind occupied!!

I have family not far from the place you describe and have tucked its address into my "must eat list for my next trip to visit family---Thanks!!!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/24 15:31:28 (permalink)
    In Italian the word "saltimbocca" literally means "jumps in the mouth" which is what this combination of flavors does. The breaded tender veal, the prosciutto, sage and cheese are delightful together. Throw in a handfull of crimini mushrooms and some white wine and it doesn't get better. Saltimbocca can be made with veal, pounded pork tenderloin and boneless skinless chicken breast.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/25 06:55:46 (permalink)
    Welcome back Lleechef: I can always depend on you to define what I was afraid to ask. I cannot even pronounce what you described, much less spell it. I do not know how you know all that stuff but we are glad you do. I guess that is why you are a French chef and I can barely boil water.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/01/25 20:53:02 (permalink)
    This is a subject dear to my heart. When I lived in New York, my wife worked in the Bronx. I would drive her to work and then explore the Bronx from "The Hub" to Riverdale. It is such a great place. I can't remember any specific places anymore, but I do remember doing to the Little Italy in the Bronx and other places in Riverdale, located in the north end of the Bronx, for delicious Italian subs. It was also the first place where I bought un-packaged American cheese, ie, from the deli counter. It's a small thing I know, but I still prefer getting my American cheese wrapped in paper.

Now in DC, I have found three great Italian sub stops: Litteri's in DC, Magialoardo's also in DC and the Italian Store in Arlington, VA. All great places.
    tmiles
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/10/26 09:43:37 (permalink)
    Since my first visit that started this thread, I have returned several times, most recently yesterday. They now have a website www.francescasdeli.com that is rather simple, but better than nothing. Be forwarned that it looks like "stock" photos were used, because the place does not look like the pictures.

Update...it looks like the link doesn't take you to Franchescas anymore.....just a generic adv site
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/10/26 12:59:13 (permalink)
    Thanx for the tip, tmiles. I believe I'll try this place for lunch next time I go up that way to shop at the sadly missed Spag's...now Bldg. 19. I may just go for lunch and skip "19".
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2005/10/31 15:26:34 (permalink)
    On the East Coast there is a little deli in Albany N.Y. it is called Andy's importing. Oh man it is like walking into Italiano Incense heaven. The cheeses, meats hanging on ropes the old fashioned way, tubs of fantastic olives, and then the sandwhiches. Oh fresh baked Italian bread sandwhich rolls every kind of cold cut or Italian cheese you could every want.Also they are made with fresh tomatoes and Good olive oil. They do not skimp, but also it is not a big oiley mess. These are IMHO the best. Out here on the west coast we have a place almost as good it is Molinari Deli in the North Beach section of S.F. these sandwiches come pretty close but not all the way there.

http://www.molinarideli.com/home.htm

Andy & Sons Importing Co
    (518) 463-2754 256 Delaware Ave
    Albany, NY
    Andy's doesn't have a website.
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/01/13 00:13:36 (permalink)
    I just returned from a business trip to Waltham Mass and there is a Italian deli there called Domenic's. They make fantastic sandwiches on their own home made bread. Compared to California where I live, they were very reasonable. Chicken Parm was $5.95 and Parma with roasted peppers and goat cheese was $7.25 They also make their own cannolis.

If I lived in Waltham I would eat there at least 3 times a week!
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/01/13 00:15:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by santacruz

On the East Coast there is a little deli in Albany N.Y. it is called Andy's importing. Oh man it is like walking into Italiano Incense heaven. The cheeses, meats hanging on ropes the old fashioned way, tubs of fantastic olives, and then the sandwhiches. Oh fresh baked Italian bread sandwhich rolls every kind of cold cut or Italian cheese you could every want.Also they are made with fresh tomatoes and Good olive oil. They do not skimp, but also it is not a big oiley mess. These are IMHO the best. Out here on the west coast we have a place almost as good it is Molinari Deli in the North Beach section of S.F. these sandwiches come pretty close but not all the way there.

http://www.molinarideli.com/home.htm

Andy & Sons Importing Co
    (518) 463-2754 256 Delaware Ave
    Albany, NY
    Andy's doesn't have a website.

I agree Molinari is wonderful. I try to go there whenever I make it to San Francisco. It is an old world style deli
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/01/13 06:58:46 (permalink)
    Tmiles your right up here in the Boston area we are rich with Italiain Grocerieas that have great deli counters, One of my favorites is in So. Medford Bobs Food store the Italian subs in there are outstanding. But for the most part with so much great compitition in the area Medford, Malden, Everet and so on they are all very good. We evan have a great Italian sub shop/groceriea that turns into a super Italian restaraunt at night Vinnies Subs On Broadway in Somerville a true Roadfood find. Chow Jim
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/01/19 01:25:16 (permalink)
    Coming from Brooklyn, NY, I struggled for a few minutes with "Italian Deli" because most "delis" were usually German...Italian deli was not a "sandwich" although you could get sandwiches with Italian coldcuts like you describe.

Then I remembered the sort of Italian Deli/Pizzaria with great hot sandwiches ("heroes") like
    Peppers and Eggs
    Sausages and Peppers
    Eggplant Parmigiani
    Yum!

Is this what you meant, too?
    TwoJays
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/08/18 11:21:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by imsofull

I just returned from a business trip to Waltham Mass and there is a Italian deli there called Domenic's. They make fantastic sandwiches on their own home made bread. Compared to California where I live, they were very reasonable. Chicken Parm was $5.95 and Parma with roasted peppers and goat cheese was $7.25 They also make their own cannolis.

If I lived in Waltham I would eat there at least 3 times a week!

I work in Waltham and try to get to Domenic's at least once a week for a Panini Parma, made with one or two very thin slices of top-notch prosciutto, homemade fresh mozzarella, sliced fresh tomato and fresh basil. Heading there in about an hour, as a matter of fact. http://www.getdoms.com/index.html

Jane & Michael, since I just read your monthly Roadfood email, where you wrote that it isn't too late to submit an addition to the "Roadfood Sandwiches" book, I'd like you to consider this sandwich. You won't be sorry!

John
    Norwood, MA
    steveindurham
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2006/08/21 14:20:57 (permalink)
    I'm heading to Rochester tomorrow. Going to Rubino's for lunch. Can't wait.

They have 20 types of Italian sausage!

http://www.rubinos.net
    tmiles
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2007/06/29 11:25:46 (permalink)
    I stopped by Franchescas last night. I was driving by and they were open. I didn't ask but I think they extended to hours into early evening. It was as good as ever.
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Italian deli sandwiches 2007/07/13 19:07:12 (permalink)
    In Philly the deli IS the sought after place to eat lunch and there are so many good eateries not heard from in the masses unless you in the know.

Great examples of these gems are:

Philly

Cosmi's (the best cheesesteak in town, Sarcone roll xtra Am. with)
    Gooey Looey's
    Melino's
    Sarcone DELI (old Italian)

Philly Suburbs Bucks / Montgomery County

Silvio's -Hatboro
    Mazanti's - Bristol
    Family Deli II - Holland
    Durham Deli - Levittown

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1