The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Italian honey balls...struvilla

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
Italian honey balls...struvilla Fri, 12/21/07 11:04 PM (permalink)
Any Italians out there that make and/or remember the Italian honey balls,I'm not sure of the spelling...struvilla. Making them was an all day affair...and eating them over the christmas holidays a treat to be remembered all year!
leethebard

rongmtek

• Total Posts: 503
    RE: Italian honey balls...struvilla Fri, 12/21/07 11:14 PM (permalink)
    I think you are referring to an Italian treat that is quite similar to a Jewish one called taiglach. Balls of dough are boiled in honey, then built into small pyramids, garnished with nuts and dried fruits. It is a favorite of mine, and I'm sure I've put at least one of my dentist's kids through college by liking it so much.
    My mom made her own once; bees threw themselves at the back kitchen door the entire time.
    I've never heard the Italian name for this, though. But I have eaten them with Italian friends near Christmas.
    Ron

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
      RE: Italian honey balls...struvilla Sat, 12/22/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
      The correct name is strufoli. I have an Italian recipe for these, but if I make a batch I know I will eat the whole thing. They are wonderful.

bweir

• Total Posts: 12
        RE: Italian honey balls...struvilla Sat, 12/22/07 2:38 PM (permalink)
        My old italian relatives in New Haven, Conn still make these every year around Christmas- "strufuli" (I think) is what they call them. Very old italian dessert- and good! Merry Christmas!
        quote:
        Originally posted by leethebard

Any Italians out there that make and/or remember the Italian honey balls,I'm not sure of the spelling...struvilla. Making them was an all day affair...and eating them over the christmas holidays a treat to be remembered all year!
        leethebard

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
          RE: Italian honey balls...struvilla Wed, 12/26/07 11:05 AM (permalink)
          Yes, I remember them very well.
          At Christmas they were usually arranged in a pyramid shape to resemble a Christmas tree, and covered in those tiny colored sugar balls (non-pariels?) and sometimes had tiny tinsel, too. It was beautiful, a centerpiece dish for the table.

I remember my Italian grandmother served it, along with homemmade canollis and other treats. There are also these candies, sort of 1 inch hard curly things with "bumps" on them, also pastel colored, with a tiny piece of cinnamon bark inside. Oh, I think they were called confettis.

The situatin was, my grandmother was from the Marches, North Central Italy, and always (repeatedly, pointedly) reminded us that stuffoli was from Southern Italy, but, only becuase it was Christmas, she agreed to have it on her table.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com