Italian sandwiches

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
2ifbyC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 23:14:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by 2ifbyC

quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:

Originally posted by Jimeats

Nope, that's about it.
A ham and cheese sub on a crappy roll stuffed with a salad, That's it.
My fist and only time ordering it I should have known when the counter jockey asked if I wanted oil or Mayo.
Many of the corner stores up there sell many of them and I've seen them prepared since and they are all prety much the same.
Chow Jim
[/quo

sorry but anyone who works in a store that sells Italians would never ask if you want Mayo on it.....not in Portland, Biddeford perhaps, but not Portland. Why do you sound so darned negative about this? So you don't like them, that's fine, not everyone does. Geez. But they sure are pretty popular with the locals and with tourists who come back every year. The bread makes it and it's not a crappy roll no matter what you say. I can't believe anyone is taking this in such a negative point of view. After you having said that the kid asked you if you wanted mayo on it, I can't believe that was in Portland. It just doesn't jive. Sorry.

The negative responses are probably based on how you presented it. To start off by saying this is the only "real" italian sandwich starts off with the premise that everyone else's sandwich is fake. To support it's pedigree, you say it was made by an Italian woman for Italian men. Do I really need to address that one? No shortage of Italian women cooking for Italian men. It's not like no other areas in the country became home to Italian immigrants and their culinary skills.

Anyway, opinions differ. Offer yours up as the only true definition on a discussion board and people will discuss. Not everyone will agree. If that offends you, then you need to put your opinions on a web page where you alone can write. We disagree on a lot on this board. Despite that, it's a nice place to hang out.

2ifbyC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 23:28:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by divefl

quote:

Originally posted by Jimeats

Nope, that's about it.
A ham and cheese sub on a crappy roll stuffed with a salad, That's it.
My fist and only time ordering it I should have known when the counter jockey asked if I wanted oil or Mayo.
Many of the corner stores up there sell many of them and I've seen them prepared since and they are all prety much the same.
Chow Jim
[/quo

sorry but anyone who works in a store that sells Italians would never ask if you want Mayo on it.....not in Portland, Biddeford perhaps, but not Portland. Why do you sound so darned negative about this? So you don't like them, that's fine, not everyone does. Geez. But they sure are pretty popular with the locals and with tourists who come back every year. The bread makes it and it's not a crappy roll no matter what you say. I can't believe anyone is taking this in such a negative point of view. After you having said that the kid asked you if you wanted mayo on it, I can't believe that was in Portland. It just doesn't jive. Sorry.

The negative responses are probably based on how you presented it. To start off by saying this is the only "real" italian sandwich starts off with the premise that everyone else's sandwich is fake. To support it's pedigree, you say it was made by an Italian woman for Italian men. Do I really need to address that one? No shortage of Italian women cooking for Italian men. It's not like no other areas in the country became home to Italian immigrants and their culinary skills.

I think you are reading far too much into my words. They call it the "real" Italian up here, it's in their advertising. That is what I was presenting, not an arrogant attitude. It was made by the wife of a man who worked construction, it had no "politcal correct" attitude in it..she made something that caught on and from there they opened a restaurant in their home, later that became a very popular place and of course was enlarged and so on, I'm amazed at the attitude on this board. I have been on many political boards and they are known for their aggressiveness, but this board beats the cake no pun intended. BTW, I am not whoever that other poster was.......and I am not a he, I'm a she. I didn't know I was to be judged so harshly on this board. YOU people are the ones who started out berating the sandwich; I did not say anything negative about any of the hoagies, subs etc did I? I only said that they do not taste like our Italian sandwiches. Someone said it's not "Italian" that is wy I spoke of its origin. I think you are the most arrogant and harsh people I have ever met on a board; all over a stupid sandwich. My God!!!!! No wonder we have so many problems in this world. No wonder polticians can't work together for the common people; we can't even discuss a lousy sandwich without such a fuss. I THOUGHT that this would be a nice place to enjoy posting from time to time but forget about it. I have better things to do than involve myself with such a grop. Hope you all enjoy your little clique. I had hoped to share my recipe for fish chowder, but hey, I might get bashed for saying something like Haddock....one of you would surely argue with me over something. Get a life you people. Who the Hell do you all think you are anyway? Nice of you to drive somone away the first day they post. Thanks loads. Hope you're all happy.

Anyway, opinions differ. Offer yours up as the only true definition on a discussion board and people will discuss. Not everyone will agree. If that offends you, then you need to put your opinions on a web page where you alone can write. We disagree on a lot on this board. Despite that, it's a nice place to hang out.
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 00:16:57 (permalink)
quote:

Nice of you to drive somone away the first day they post... Hope you're all happy.

You can't go. All the plants are gonna die!

stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 04:16:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MetroplexJim
And, please take the time to learn the idiot-proof commands of the site, like how to edit a post and delete a post.

^^I mean for real.

quote:
I think you are reading far too much into my words. They call it the "real" Italian up here, it's in their advertising. That is what I was presenting, not an arrogant attitude. It was made by the wife of a man who worked construction, it had no "politcal correct" attitude in it..she made something that caught on and from there they opened a restaurant in their home, later that became a very popular place and of course was enlarged and so on, I'm amazed at the attitude on this board. I have been on many political boards and they are known for their aggressiveness, but this board beats the cake no pun intended. BTW, I am not whoever that other poster was.......and I am not a he, I'm a she. I didn't know I was to be judged so harshly on this board. YOU people are the ones who started out berating the sandwich; I did not say anything negative about any of the hoagies, subs etc did I? I only said that they do not taste like our Italian sandwiches. Someone said it's not "Italian" that is wy I spoke of its origin. I think you are the most arrogant and harsh people I have ever met on a board; all over a stupid sandwich. My God!!!!! No wonder we have so many problems in this world. No wonder polticians can't work together for the common people; we can't even discuss a lousy sandwich without such a fuss. I THOUGHT that this would be a nice place to enjoy posting from time to time but forget about it. I have better things to do than involve myself with such a grop. Hope you all enjoy your little clique. I had hoped to share my recipe for fish chowder, but hey, I might get bashed for saying something like Haddock....one of you would surely argue with me over something. Get a life you people. Who the Hell do you all think you are anyway? Nice of you to drive somone away the first day they post. Thanks loads. Hope you're all happy.

If you think sandwiches are stupid you could be in the wrong place. There really is no clique here, that I can see, we just enjoy debating.

And yes, most assuredly, someone will disagree with your use of haddock, and will post their own recipe. And they will try yours & you will try theirs, and then you guys will say what you each thought and other people will chime in. It really is a nice community, and I don't think it can be judged by one thread.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 08:58:22 (permalink)
quote:

Up here in Portland Maine we have what we call Italian Sandwiches. Has anyone ever had one? You cannot get them outside of Portland, not real ones.[/
I have to respond once again, due to the fact that I seem to be the one who lit the fuse on this thread.
My reply was to give fair warning to those visiting the Portland area
that the Portland version of the "Real Italian" sandwich is like nothing else they have encountered elsewhere.
Lookit honey we are going to be visiting here for a whole week eating a boat load of seafood why don't we try an Italian that they are raveing about on Roadfood. Then to be dissapointed to find out it's a ham and cheese sub that can be found anywhere.
As I said I spend a lot of time in that area, I have some interests there. At lunch time I will frequent one of the many corner stores to grab a sandwich, one of my favorites is in the Back Bay area.
The only time I ordered one for myself and partner to take back to the job turned out to be a good laugh for us the rest of the afternoon. He said that I must have grabbed the wrong sandwiches.
We ate them, they were OK but nothing special.
Returning to the store for lunch the next day I commented to the clerk that I may have been given the wrong order yesterday and explained what I ended up with. That's when I was told "that is an Italian". Really? Yup really.
Nothing extrodinary about the rolls either, just a soft sandwich or hoaggie roll.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 09:22:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

Well, the best Italian sub that I ever had was in Columbus Ohio and maybe you have been there. If you ever want a great one, I will give you the address of this place.

That's OK. I don't eat sandwiches any longer.

Well i do so please let me knwo where this place is.
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 10:03:48 (permalink)
We have to go bare knuckles on sandwiches, they won't let us talk about politics anymore. " />

I'll tell you one thing, though, the Green Party can't make an italian sandwich worth a fig.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 10:53:47 (permalink)
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 13:30:21 (permalink)
Italian sanwich or submarine hero, I'm making several for the beach for July 4th:

Italian bread(I prefer without seeds)
Italian dressing like viva italian or any you like
sliced red onions
sliced red roasted peppers
lettuce
skip the tomato
genoa salami
provolone cheese
capicola ham

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/01 13:34:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Italian sanwich or submarine hero, I'm making several for the beach for July 4th:

Italian bread(I prefer without seeds)
Italian dressing like viva italian or any you like
sliced red onions
sliced red roasted peppers
lettuce
skip the tomato
genoa salami
provolone cheese

I'd add some prusittine(spelling????) not prusciutto...and perhaps a bit of balsamic dressing with Extra virgin...rather than the commercial Italian...otherwise, sounds right!!!!!...Oh and I don't mind an Italian bread with seeds...either way!!!

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/27 03:15:27 (permalink)
If anyone is interested. I worked for two sub/pizza joints in the mid 70's and I'd be happy to post what I remember as an Italian sub. I've already posted what I recalled as a sub dressing from some notes that I used to keep on another post earlier.
dt
Uforgetaboutit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/27 11:34:42 (permalink)
St. Petersubrg, Florida Mazzaros Italian Market 22nd North exit off I275. Take a right off the exit head West for a mile. ON the right side you have to park in the back where there are several places. For the I275 traveler it is easy to get there and won't take you five minutes to order after turning off the highway...so go ahead.

It's a busy market where the deli is wonderful. Take a ticket and order your Italian sausage combo. While your there shop around...if you can't find the Italian item your looking for...it isn't available anywhere. The balsamic vinegar or olive oils can go up to $100.00 a bottle if you want the best the world can offer. Breads, cheese, wine, meats, deli...you just don't know what to look at next. Coffee bar and seating in the garden. Napkin count:(# of napkins you use to eat) The Italian combo is about six napkins for the perfect one. They should use paper towels as they hold up better than the skinny paper thin ones.
dholk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/27 12:54:22 (permalink)
There seems to be some magic in portioning when it comes to making a really good sandwich. I buy the best ingredients I can find but my sandwiches just turn out 'OK'. I've had better sandwiches made with average ingredients because the person making the sandwich had that magic eye for portioning. There seems to be an art to it. It's really amazing the difference a skilled sandwich maker can make. If you have a skilled sandwich maker AND the best ingredients its almost magical.
hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/07/27 14:15:50 (permalink)
I think you can probably get a great Italian sandwich just about anywhere you go. Except maybe in Maine. You probably can't get a good one in Maine, it's something to do with the water.
MsDiPesto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/07 13:07:42 (permalink)
Never been to Maine, but used to work with a young guy who would visit his grandparents there in the summer. He brought in pics from his trip, and had one he called "Italian Sandwiches". Looked like big subs, but with a lot more lettuce.
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/11 09:41:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dholk

There seems to be some magic in portioning when it comes to making a really good sandwich. I buy the best ingredients I can find but my sandwiches just turn out 'OK'. I've had better sandwiches made with average ingredients because the person making the sandwich had that magic eye for portioning. There seems to be an art to it. It's really amazing the difference a skilled sandwich maker can make. If you have a skilled sandwich maker AND the best ingredients its almost magical.

I could not agree more with this.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/19 18:00:57 (permalink)
Please...I lived in Portland for 5 years and have had plenty of what you consider an "italian". Please dont try to incorporate what is basically a "sub" into something that is regionally landlocked like a beef on weck.
I grew up in Boston & when I moved to Maine back in '96 I had plenty of people tell me "oh you have to try an italian sandwich". I did & trust me what I tasted didnt strike me as anything that I would make a special trip or go out of my way to eat while in Maine. Why fill up on a sub that you can get at hundreds of pizza/sub shops when there are lobster rolls and seafood to eat?

feeglebeegle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/22 16:19:30 (permalink)
quote:

Up here in Portland Maine we have what we call Italian Sandwiches. Has anyone ever had one? You cannot get them outside of Portland, not real ones.[/

Most people have had "their" versions of an Italian sandwich. It depends on where one is located, it's ethic makeup, etc which really decides what version you will get.

A lot of people here seem to be ridiculing (making fun of the Maine version) you but ignore them. The bottom line is if you enjoy your Maine version then "go for it".

I would only suggest that you may want to try making your own at home with the best ingredients you can find locally or even make yourself, ie; bread. Try to avoid commercially, vacuum packed goods if possible. Of course you can find great local produce to add to it in Maine. So improvise a little, be creative and maybe you can create the best Maine Italian sandwich.

Good luck.

confrone
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/22 16:39:10 (permalink)
you know i love visiting this website everyday and couple times aday. enjoy looking at all the pics. but i will never post about a subject again. someone about cut my throat one time in here nasty comments to me. its a shame u cant say what u feel. someone will cut u down in a hot min.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/08/28 01:31:41 (permalink)
Have some tea & chill.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1