Italian sandwiches

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
2ifbyC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
2008/06/29 18:28:35 (permalink)

Italian sandwiches

Up here in Portland Maine we have what we call Italian Sandwiches. Has anyone ever had one? You cannot get them outside of Portland, not real ones.[/

79 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18368
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:32:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2ifbyC

Up here in Portland Maine we have what we call Italian Sandwiches. Has anyone ever had one? You cannot get them outside of Portland, not real ones.[/

They're called submarines, grinders, heros, hoagies and wedges everywhere else.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:32:28 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard. How about some pictures or, a description. Such as, what meats, cheeses, type of bread, condiments, etc. Enquiring (Roadfood) minds want to know.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:34:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, Michael. You beat my post by 22 seconds.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18368
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:36:16 (permalink)
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:41:26 (permalink)
    http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2872

enjoy- fb
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:42:56 (permalink)
    Gratzia, Frank. It's, as I figured.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4058
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:54:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FrankBooth

enjoy- fb

WOW! I took careful notes and am going to my nearest Subway and see if I can "custom build" one!

Actually, dat looks a lot like 'dem hoagies we usta' git when I wuz a boy in Pixxburgh! Eny yinz agree?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 18:58:27 (permalink)
    And frankly, I am amazed to see anything Italian north of Rhode Island" />; I thought all they had in Maine was "lobstah ruhls"!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7767
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/29 19:04:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

And frankly, I am amazed to see anything Italian north of Rhode Island" />; I thought all they had in Maine was "lobstah ruhls"!

They need places for the locals to eat, remember the locals are laughing at "touristas" who are eating the lobster rolls.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 08:04:14 (permalink)
    I spend a lot of time in the Portland Maine area and let me tell you that
    Italian sandwich is nothing like a real italian anywhere else, and not in a good way either.
    But I guess that's their version, I'll pass thank you.
    Chow Jim
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:03:32 (permalink)
    quote:

enjoy- fb

Wow, "mainiac" sure didn't think much of them.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:13:37 (permalink)
    How about a real Bolognaise Italian sandwich: grilled Italian sausage on a toasted roll smothered in marinara and topped by melted provolone!
    Belcamp Sharon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:24:57 (permalink)
    That is one skimpy italian. I grew up in Maine and the standard ones includes:
    Ham
    American Cheese or provolone
    Green Peppers
    Tomato
    Pickles
    Onion
    Black olives (optional)
    Oil

The main thing that I think makes it an italian different from what you get in other parts of the country is the bread. You can't find that bread outside of Maine.Id' make my own down here in Maryland but I can't find the bread.

Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:32:12 (permalink)
    Man, Italian Sandwiches are my all time favorite!
    My folks are from Maine, and it was a vacation treat every year as a kid.
    Amatos opened a store here in Burlington, and still buy them all the time.
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1087
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:36:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Belcamp Sharon

The main thing that I think makes it an italian different from what you get in other parts of the country is the bread. You can't find that bread outside of Maine.Id' make my own down here in Maryland but I can't find the bread.

One of the reveiwers described it as a big hot dog bun that easily falls apart. Is that an accurate description or did he just get a bad one?
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:50:48 (permalink)
    Nope, that's about it.
    A ham and cheese sub on a crappy roll stuffed with a salad, That's it.
    My fist and only time ordering it I should have known when the counter jockey asked if I wanted oil or Mayo.
    Many of the corner stores up there sell many of them and I've seen them prepared since and they are all prety much the same.
    Chow Jim
    Mark in VT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 09:53:30 (permalink)
    No, I think that is wrong. They are chewy rolls, which are soft because the olive oil soaks in. Never had a roll fall apart on me.
    Here is Amatos Website.

http://www.amatos.com/
    Cuppa
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 10:25:21 (permalink)
    In Southeastern PA an Italian sandwich is a soft or hard roll, capicola, hard salami, provolone, lettuce, tom, onion, olive oil, & a sprinkle of oregano, at least that's what I remember. I still crave them sometimes, but there's none available in the great Northwest. A lot of it has to do with the rolls. No one makes rolls like that out here.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 11:06:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

They need places for the locals to eat, remember the locals are laughing at "touristas" who are eating the lobster rolls.

and PAYING for those lobsta rolls!!!
    FrankBooth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 11:50:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

Can someone please explain to me on what you all base this idea that Mainer's don't eat lobster rolls? i am married to a mainer, raised her entire life in maine, and i can tell you that she eats lobster rolls with abandon. she went to wiscasset high school and grew up in the next town over and red's was/is still an institution. yes, tourists line up for those lobster rolls, but mainers can be found eating there all the time too (including my mother in law and wife, both of whom are real mainers). the only reason i can see not eating those lobster rolls as a mainer is if one couldn't afford the high ticket price for a lobster roll, but i can guarantee you that plenty of mainers are eating hamburgers, "steak" sandwiches, fried haddock sandwiches, fried fish, and all the other goodies from red's.
    so i humbly ask for further explanation on why people think mainers don't eat lobster rolls. this has not been my experience at all... thanks fb
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 12:24:27 (permalink)
    Stop it! Stop it! You should all consider yourselves lucky! In Dallas, we have neither, "lobstah" rolls or, Italian sandwiches. I'd kill for either.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7767
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 12:46:29 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

Can someone please explain to me on what you all base this idea that Mainer's don't eat lobster rolls? i am married to a mainer, raised her entire life in maine, and i can tell you that she eats lobster rolls with abandon. she went to wiscasset high school and grew up in the next town over and red's was/is still an institution. yes, tourists line up for those lobster rolls, but mainers can be found eating there all the time too (including my mother in law and wife, both of whom are real mainers). the only reason i can see not eating those lobster rolls as a mainer is if one couldn't afford the high ticket price for a lobster roll, but i can guarantee you that plenty of mainers are eating hamburgers, "steak" sandwiches, fried haddock sandwiches, fried fish, and all the other goodies from red's.
    so i humbly ask for further explanation on why people think mainers don't eat lobster rolls. this has not been my experience at all... thanks fb

Davydd and I had a similar conversation about Scandinavian Food/Hot Dish, etc in Minnesota- he argues that its far and few between (even though I had no problem finding it when I last visited in 2006 and competely disagree with his opinion on that)

When I was at Reds waiting for them to open up- There was a huge line- and not one local was on the line, everyone was from out of State- I'm sure Mainers do eat lobster rolls, however they pick up the lobster at the local market and make it themselves...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a "tourista" and I love lobster rolls- whether its for tourists or not I'm still gonnna get one

Similar analogy for the Kosher/Jewish Delis in New York- You'll rarely find a local at Katz's or the Carnegie- they're all tourists-
    Many of my Jewish Friends in the NYC area are in their 40's and haven't been to these Deli's since they were little kids when grandma and grandpa took them- Even now they rarely/if ever eat Jewish stuff (except a bagel here and there) and will only go to the Kosher Style local deli (that's if there are any left in their neighborhood) when mom and dad are back in town from Florida.

But the food is still outstanding and it doesn't stop me from going.

2ifbyC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:17:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

They're called submarines, grinders, heros, hoagies and wedges everywhere else.

uh uh, not the same. I have had all of those and they do not taste like Italian sandwiches. For one thing, never EVER put mayo or lettuce on an Italian. Use ONLY real Olive Oil, and ham, salami, genoa salami, etc.with pickles...cut long, cheese of your choice, most common Provolone, black olives and tomatoes and chopped onion. The reason that authentic Italians are only available in Portland Maine is because of the bread....has something to do with our wonderful water supply. I know people who grew up here and moved away, when they come back to visit they go to one of the stores that actually has real Italians and order a slew of the rolls to take home. Then they order a bunch of large Italians and have a fest.
    2ifbyC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:19:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Welcome aboard. How about some pictures or, a description. Such as, what meats, cheeses, type of bread, condiments, etc. Enquiring (Roadfood) minds want to know.

I will later today, promise.
    2ifbyC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:28:52 (permalink)
    quote:

Are you KIDDING me? On the street I grew up on, I was the only kid not Italian. I believe there are more Italian names in our phone book than others. Some of the names on our block were Romano, Nappi, Gedaro, Macisso, DiPietriantonio, Balzano, MiCucci, Ferrante, Navarro, Tucci, Giusti; we also had/have a slew of Jewishnames, kids I hung out with were Levinsky, Turesky, Israelson, Skye, Levy, Abromson, Kraznick, Rosen etc. So from that I ended up choosing to be Catholic after going to mass so often with my friends...and have a soft spot for Jewish food, that I grew up eating in my friends homes. Yes, I just love penicillian soup, and latkes, OMG, and honey cake.......

when I am in NYC which is my favorite city of all, I always go to an authentic deli. We have one here in Portland too, called Full Belly Deli, run and owned by the Rosen family.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:33:55 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Are you KIDDING me? On the street I grew up on, I was the only kid not Italian. I believe there are more Italian names in our phone book than others. Some of the names on our block were Romano, Nappi, Gedaro, Macisso, DiPietriantonio, Balzano, MiCucci, Ferrante, Navarro, Tucci, Giusti; we also had/have a slew of Jewishnames, kids I hung out with were Levinsky, Turesky, Israelson, Skye, Levy, Abromson, Kraznick, Rosen etc. So from that I ended up choosing to be Catholic after going to mass so often with my friends...and have a soft spot for Jewish food, that I grew up eating in my friends homes. Yes, I just love penicillian soup, and latkes, OMG, and honey cake.......

when I am in NYC which is my favorite city of all, I always go to an authentic deli. We have one here in Portland too, called Full Belly Deli, run and owned by the Rosen family.

So, if you chose to be a Catholic, what were you before?
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:42:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Stop it! Stop it! You should all consider yourselves lucky! In Dallas, we have neither, "lobstah" rolls or, Italian sandwiches. I'd kill for either.

We do have an excellent version of the former: http://www.seabreezefish.com/

It's up Preston in the same development as Mignon, Red's Patio Grille, etc.
    Belcamp Sharon
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:44:25 (permalink)
    Hey 2ifby2,

Does Full Belly Deli still have that yummy cabbage tomato soup?
    fattybomatty
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Italian sandwiches 2008/06/30 13:45:03 (permalink)
    2ifbyC you described an Italian sub that you can find practically anywhere.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1