Italian sausages, peppers and onions

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1186
RE: Italian sausages, peppers and onions 2004/10/29 09:46:36 (permalink)
At our parish festival, there's a guy who makes his own sausage. He spends the entire season going to all the parish festivals, frying the sausage with peppers and onions and serving those great sandwiches. My wife sometimes mentions those sandwiches in the dead of winter, looking forward to June.....

I've always loved this. She came late to this sort of food; we were in Metamora, Indiana, a canal town-cum-antiques center, and there was a guy frying sausages outside. It was cold -- near Christmas -- but we ordered and ate, enjoying every bite while we shivered......
msbo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Italian sausages, peppers and onions 2004/11/03 15:13:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wilewil

San Genaro festival in September in NYC's Little Italy is a whole neighborhood of such goodies on charcoal grills! And you can tape a dollar or more to the statue of the saint for protection against food poisoning and such!

I grew up in New York a Brat of a Vender so we were treated to all these wonderful foods all the time moma would cook the sauage and pepers onions wedges thats what we called them not subs I recall many times being at this fest as a child I placed many of dollars on this saint that they carry through the streets asking for her to protect and provide I make these wedges all the time down south I bought a vending truck in which we will start to sell hotdogs and wedges out of it very soon Have you tried the pizza fritz
CarolinaBill
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Italian sausages, peppers and onions 2004/11/03 16:09:46 (permalink)
Every year, my workplace has a Thanksgiving dinner (well, lunch) where everyone brings something and the agency supplies turkeys and hams (including the Southern classic fried whole turkey - yum!). As you can imagine, there are tons of stuffings, sweet potatoes, veggie casseroles, etc.

One year, I decided to bring something with a bit of Northeastern touch since I am now, of course, in the Southeast. Sort of a palate cleanser. I brought big roaster pan of Italian sausage with onions and peppers with sauce just to break up the turkey-and-dressing thing. You would have thought that these folks were going to get into fork fights over the sausage - they LOVED it. I hate since found good Italian sausage at local butcher, but way too expensive for cooking for a crowd...Publix makes a very acceptible in-house sausage a bit more reasonably priced. The request has already been made for my sausage at this year's fest.

Sometimes they don't like us Yankees down here, but they sure seem to take to the food!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: Italian sausages, peppers and onions 2004/11/03 17:54:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

At our parish festival, there's a guy who makes his own sausage. He spends the entire season going to all the parish festivals, frying the sausage with peppers and onions and serving those great sandwiches. My wife sometimes mentions those sandwiches in the dead of winter, looking forward to June.....

I've always loved this. She came late to this sort of food; we were in Metamora, Indiana, a canal town-cum-antiques center, and there was a guy frying sausages outside. It was cold -- near Christmas -- but we ordered and ate, enjoying every bite while we shivered......

Mmmmm. We have a guy who does this, too. AWESOME sammiches.

I read this thread a couple weeks ago, and have been hankering for this ever since. Today I went to Carone's and got a couple rings of their homemade sausage, some peppers and onions and steak rolls, and just DID IT. Yum, yum, yum!

Tom
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1